49’ers at Rams Pregame Thread 10/08/19-10/12/19

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
We're relying on SJD to stop the run, not Brockers. Speaking of SJD, he's been getting in the back field quite easily to disrupt the running game thanks to AD, Fowler and Brockers. Brockers may not be having his best year stat wise but he is far from a JAG. That 34 yr old stop gap player named Matthews is also our leader in sacks so far. He has jist as many sacks in 5 games than he had all last season. I'll even argue E bomb (Ebukam) is not a JAG. After his game against the Chiefs last season he made a pretty good name for himself that even non Ram fans still recognize.

Matthews is getting sacks and playing well, but it doesn't change that he is 34 and is a stop gap.

Brockers offers little in pass rush abd Ebukam had one great game...then what?

My point is they have to get younger and more dynamic up front. If they ever lost Donald to injury they would have zero pass rush. Even with him, the other DL struggle to get a consistent pass rush.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
Look at the size of Edwards and Evans and I think the Rams were aware of this.

Those guys aren't ready to start. Although, they might not be much worse that what we've got going upfront. We may see them later in the season. But that would mean bad things are happening up front.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
And then we will need to beat them in SF, otherwise we have no shot of winning the division.

Simply put, if we lose Sunday, our only realistic shot to make the playoffs will be as a WC.
I think the term "must-win" is overused by fans in general. The only real must-win game is a playoff game, where you are done if you don't win, or an elimination contest to get into the playoffs. And don't get me wrong, of course this is a HUGE game. Obviously.

But when the Rams chose to rebuild their OL with youth they rolled the dice on what might be a slow start. Vinny Bonsignore in his most recent podcast told that story how one of the Rams coaches told him in camp that the team might not win 13 games this season but come the playoffs they had a chance to be a stronger team. IMO that is this season in a nutshell and don't think for a minute that McVay and company didn't anticipate that this might happen.

Was it a mistake? Well there's a lot of fear among the fan base right now leading people to that conclusion. And it might prove to be true we'll see. For me personally, I feel like the Rams have talent on the OL and the coaching to get these guys where they need to be. I even feel like Edwards is going to help us at some point even if it's allowing for them not to pay Blythe.

Lastly where I think the staff is disappointed most is with the defense. A great defense would have facilitated an easier road down that development path, but clearly this isn't a great defense yet. But just like with the offense, this defensive roster has the makings of a top unit IMO.

So my own belief here is that the Rams are going to be a closer this season. They'll be one of the teams that is hitting hard on all cylinders going into the playoffs. Question is whether they get in. If it's a wildcard so be it. But for me I'm just gonna go one game at a time and enjoy watching my team develop. I keep getting reminded that I just don't find enjoyment doing it any other way.

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
Matthews is getting sacks and playing well, but it doesn't change that he is 34 and is a stop gap.

Brockers offers little in pass rush abd Ebukam had one great game...then what?

My point is they have to get younger and more dynamic up front. If they ever lost Donald to injury they would have zero pass rush. Even with him, the other DL struggle to get a consistent pass rush.
I agree we need to get younger, but we also need veteran leadership. I remember thr Fisher days when the main excuse was "we're the youngest team in the league". My point being, none of the guys I listed are "just another guy". They are well known guys, some elite, and some up and coming.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
I think the term "must-win" is overused by fans in general. The only real must-win game is a playoff game, where you are done if you don't win, or an elimination contest to get into the playoffs. And don't get me wrong, of course this is a HUGE game. Obviously.

But when the Rams chose to rebuild their OL with youth they rolled the dice on what might be a slow start. Vinny Bonsignore in his most recent podcast told that story how one of the Rams coaches told him in camp that the team might not win 13 games this season but come the playoffs they had a chance to be a stronger team. IMO that is this season in a nutshell and don't think for a minute that McVay and company didn't anticipate that this might happen.

Was it a mistake? Well there's a lot of fear among the fan base right now leading people to that conclusion. And it might prove to be true we'll see. For me personally, I feel like the Rams have talent on the OL and the coaching to get these guys where they need to be. I even feel like Edwards is going to help us at some point even if it's allowing for them not to pay Blythe.

Lastly where I think the staff is disappointed most is with the defense. A great defense would have facilitated an easier road down that development path, but clearly this isn't a great defense yet. But just like with the offense, this defensive roster has the makings of a top unit IMO.

So my own belief here is that the Rams are going to be a closer this season. They'll be one of the teams that is hitting hard on all cylinders going into the playoffs. Question is whether they get in. If it's a wildcard so be it. But for me I'm just gonna go one game at a time and enjoy watching my team develop. I keep getting reminded that I just don't find enjoyment doing it any other way.

Good points. And must win is subjective term. I applied it here because I believe this game is a must win in order to win the division based on probability. I think the Rams feel they need this game more than the Niners do. Usually what happens in these scenarios is that the team in greater need prevails, thats a big reason why most of the money coming in is on the Rams even though they are 3.5 favorites.

I agree that the defense has been a huge disappointment after the first 3 games. The talent is there, they aren't producing. The secondary has been awful the last 2 games, and it was expected to be excellent.

I had dinner with Vinny in Charlotte before the Panthers game, and he expected more from the OL than they are showing, especially Noteboom. The 3-2 record isn't something the Rams didn't think was a possibility. What nobody predicted was the Niners being 4-0.

Me and Vinny in Charlotte day before our first win of the season...

3835-CAF2-5488-43-D1-A311-81-BEBEEB668-D.jpg

Last edited:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Rams defense looks to get back to the basics
By GARY KLEIN Los Angeles Times

https://www.bellinghamherald.com/sports/nfl/article235942612.html#storylink=cpy

LOS ANGELES – Fixing the issue is not complicated. It's really pretty simple, according to Los Angeles Rams cornerback Marcus Peters.

"We just gotta just go back to fundamentals," Peters said. "Everybody just do their job and line up and just play our ball."

Peters was talking about a defense that made short work of opponents' passing attacks during the first three games but now is longing for a return to form as the Rams prepare for an NFC West home game Sunday against the unbeaten San Francisco 49ers.

In victories over the Carolina Panthers, New Orleans Saints and Cleveland Browns, the Rams surrendered only one pass of 30 yards or more. The defense gave up only one touchdown pass. But in consecutive losses to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and Seattle Seahawks, the Rams gave up eight touchdown passes, including plays that covered 67 and 40 yards.
Peters was left chasing receivers on both long plays, but coaches and teammates said the two-time Pro Bowl selection was not solely responsible.

Buccaneers receiver Mike Evans got behind Peters for the 67-yard pass that was perfectly delivered by quarterback Jameis Winston after a play-action fake. Defensive coordinator Wade Phillips said his coverage call was to blame, not Peters. Against the Seahawks, receiver DK Metcalf ran past Peters and caught a 40-yard pass from Russell Wilson after a play-action fake. Safety Eric Weddle said he was to blame, not Peters.

"I got sucked up on the run," Weddle said. "I've got to be underneath it, and to buy M.P. time to get there. And I didn't do that. Everyone looks at M.P. It's like, 'Nah, it's I didn't help him at all.' It wasn't his fault. More so mine than anything else."

Winston mainly stayed in the pocket and torched the Rams for 385 yards passing and four touchdowns. Wilson made plays from the pocket but also was devastating outside of it while passing for 268 yards and four touchdowns.
Now the Rams face 49ers quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo, who has passed for seven touchdowns, with four interceptions, while directing an offense that leads the NFL in rushing.

Garoppolo completed 20 of 29 passes for 181 yards and two touchdowns in the 49ers' 31-3 victory over the Cleveland Browns on Monday night. Garoppolo's longest completion covered 22 yards, but speedy receiver Marquise Goodwin is an ever-present deep threat. So the Rams secondary could be tested again.

The Rams traded for Peters, 26, before last season. He is earning a little more than $9 million this season playing on a fifth-year option. The Rams have yet to offer him an extension. Fellow cornerback Aqib Talib, 33, also is in the final year of a contract that pays him $8 million. Coach Sean McVay said that he and Peters have a "constant dialogue," that is consistent with his communication with other players.

"I've always appreciated and respected the way that he's been receptive to our conversations," McVay said, Asked how defensive backs can fix what happened the last two games and move forward against the 49ers, Peters noted it was a collective effort.

"I don't think it's just as far as the defensive backs," Peters said. "It's the defense, period. Just all of us, just harping on it, just how to play better defense overall. How do we get off on third downs? How we can create some more turnovers. And just how we eliminate the big balls.

"The big ball's the thing that's been occurring these last few weeks, and just eliminate it."

The Rams are tied for third to last among 32 teams with a minus-four turnover margin. The defense has seven takeaways: Four interceptions and three fumble recoveries. Quarterback Jared Goff has had seven passes intercepted and the offense has lost four fumbles. The 11 giveaways are tied for the most in the NFL.

Last edited:

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams lead the league in turnovers? Nothing else needs to be said. If not for the turnovers, the Rams would probably be 4-1 or 5-0.

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
Noteboom, Allen, Blythe, and Havenstein vs. Dee Ford, Deforest Buckner, Nick Bosa, Arik Armstead??

Uhhh.. honestly what are we going to do with that?

Not to mention Kwan Alexender and Fred Warner are both real good in their front 7. While other teams are trading for guys like Tunsil, we're stuck with turnstiles that have to try and block 1st round, top 5 pick talent. It's hard to not see us getting dominated up front.

I’ll be looking for this kind of post in the GDT...

Varg6

Starter
Name
Jake
After seeing the game, I'm not too optimistic. The only thing I hope for is that we play a good game and are in it until the end. Don't get me wrong, I think we have the talent to beat them, but their DL is going to dominate, unfortunately. I hate to say it but they look like the real deal. Hopefully our boys prove that to be wrong!

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not worried about the Whinets d-line, but their running backs concern me. The Rams cannot get gouged on the ground and expect to win.

Bader

UDFA
I think the Niners are overrated on both sides of the ball. They have played an absolute cupcake schedule. We are going to remind them who runs the NFC West.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
he expected more from the OL than they are showing, especially Noteboom.

Why? I mean I know you can't speak for him--it's just frustrating because I don't see what any specific optimism would've been based on.

Edit: Article on the Athletic indicates Bonsignore thinks Trent Williams might be on our radar? He has played G before btw.

Last edited:

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Those guys aren't ready to start. Although, they might not be much worse that what we've got going upfront. We may see them later in the season. But that would mean bad things are happening up front.
When they surpass the starters in practice, they're probably going to insert them.

Remember this is the NFL;
Not For Long, unless you play full-bore.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
Guys they have played nobody. Let's see how they do against a real opponent. Cleveland, Bengals, Pitts suck and TB is okay.

Ease to praise a mid level team because they beat junk teams it matters when they play us and Seattle.

In general I agree, with the exception of TB.. They (TB) scored 17 on them and well...a ton on us.
The main thing is their run game is really good and if our OL doesn't do it's freaking job we could see another poor game from Goff.
We do a good job on their run and protect Goff..Then we win.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
We get another break...

HC Kyle Shanahan says OT Mike McGlinchey is having his knee scoped & will be out 4-6 weeks. The injury happened during Monday Night’s game per Shanahan. Daniel Brunskill will be in at RT w/ Justin Skule at LT who has been in for Joe Staley (leg)

HELP! How do I put the above paragraph in quote box?

Last edited:

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
News coming over KNBR: Mike McGlinchey is out for 4-6 weeks on the whiner 9-line. That’s he AND Staley, their two best lineman that are out.

Rams better feast on that situation. Our d-line needs to be hungry, and we better play better contain on the run lanes.

Also, their fullback Jurscick (sp?)
Is out. If the Rams can smell blood in the water, we can shut down the run and sack Garapolo 4-5 times.

edit: I see @max scooped me on the news.

99Balloons

Pro Bowler
Name
G
McVay needs to put in a Jumbo package, an extra OL, to get the running game going. Otherwise, Goff is going to get killed unless he takes off running.

That '9er Defensive front is legit.

jacktheripper85

Starter
Not worried about the Whinets d-line, but their running backs concern me. The Rams cannot get gouged on the ground and expect to win.

Well, it does make the running game look good when facing teams ranked #2, #21, #29 & #31 in rush defense. Against the #2 rushing d they posted less than 100 yds so they totally gauged the 3 bottom feeders.

Not too impressed with the QBs they faced either-Winston, Dalton, Randolph and Mayfield.

The problem is that their schedule is ridiculously easy to the point of where they realistically won’t lose their 2nd game until they have 9 wins. All of their tough games are at home. The good news is that their schedule gets much tougher the second half of the year. Based on that I’d say they are a 10-11 win team and make the playoffs. I know it’s early but if the Rams lose this game I don’t see them winning the division. Would have to go 8-2 or better over last 10 games to do that with a loss this Sunday.

That won’t happen though because we are going to pound the shit out of them on Sunday.