49’ers at Rams Pregame Thread 10/08/19-10/12/19

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
Why? I mean I know you can't speak for him--it's just frustrating because I don't see what any specific optimism would've been based on.

Edit: Article on the Athletic indicates Bonsignore thinks Trent Williams might be on our radar? He has played G before btw.
Any truth to this?

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I keep trying to see a way the Rams take this one but having a hard time.

Well imo you could start by remembering just how hard it is to win on the road against a quality div opponent. How we are getting everyone's best against tougher competition while the 9ers are upstarts playing nobodies. You could think about how Jimmy G has been massively overhyped and that he throws a lot more picks than he should for being a game manager for Shannys neo-Veer offense.. Or how that the Rams have caught no breaks yet... we are due to revert to the mean on fingertip ints, lost fumbles, missed kicks and bad luck...
...or how that despite being 3 and 2 (by 3 or 2 inches), we are the defending conference champs, at home against our rivals, have actually proven something, have the coaches and players to win and its not like we are the bullshit RAMS of 4 years ago.... who could still beat some 9er ass.

I cant wait for this game to get here so the rams can beat their ass and everyone can chill out lol

Even if we were 0-5, I would still believe McVay, Goff, Donald, Kupp, Woods, Gurley, Weddle, Littleton, Whit, Hekker, Zeurline and Co would have a really, REALLY good chance at winning a home game against the freaking whiners...

Last edited:

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
I think the Niners are overrated on both sides of the ball. They have played an absolute cupcake schedule. We are going to remind them who runs the NFC West.
You get a 4th place schedule when you get 4th place every year. Lets see how they do with a 3rd place schedule next year ;)

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
This is pretty big and might make up for us not having Matthews. Hope that Rapp is back this week, but don't think so. Obo could come in and shock us all. Based on his college film, he can really get after the QB.
It's a big deal for them not to have McGlinchey no doubt. If we had Matthews boy oh boy. As it is though I would think Wade tests the F out of the B & C gaps with pre-snap looks and blitzes. And it makes it likely we'll see some Fowler on that side too on pass downs.

Gonna be a lot of naked boots and screens on Sunday, mixed in with a ton of run game. I'm really looking forward to seeing our young LBs and how they hold up. They're going to play a huge role in how things go for us on Sunday IMO.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
Brown may start if Gurley can’t go. Could see Henderson get some work.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
I expect their passing game to be quick-outs to neutralize AD, which Crappolo seems pretty decent at.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
Why? I mean I know you can't speak for him--it's just frustrating because I don't see what any specific optimism would've been based on.

Edit: Article on the Athletic indicates Bonsignore thinks Trent Williams might be on our radar? He has played G before btw.
VinnyB is pretty close with a few coaches. Vinny said he really like Noteboom. So I suspect he’s a bit surprised by how poorly he’s played. He also said the Rams love Allen, but I don’t see why beyond being a scrappy player.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Richard Sherman a familiar presence for Jared Goff, Rams receivers

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. – Since entering the NFL as a fifth-round draft choice of the Seahawks in 2011, CB Richard Sherman has established himself as one of the premiere players at his position.

Though he's now with the 49ers, that reputation still remains and resonates with the Rams.

"He's just so smart," Rams QB Jared Goff said. "He's a really smart player. He's had the issue with the achilles in the past, and I think right now you see him fully healthy, doing his thing."

As Goff alluded to, Sherman dealt with adversity not too long ago but has been able to successfully overcome it.

In early November 2017 – Sherman's final season in Seattle – the former Stanford star ruptured his achilles and missed the remainder of the season, then the Seahawks released him the following offseason.

Sherman proceeded to sign with the 49ers in March 2018 and has amassed 52 total tackles, 10 pass breakups and two interceptions in the 18 games since. Both of his picks have come this season.

Overall, the three-time First Team All-Pro and four-time Pro Bowler has registered 34 interceptions and 109 pass breakups in eight-plus seasons. His 34 interceptions lead the league.

"Smart corner, knows his coverage, knows his leverage, plays it well," Rams WR Robert Woods said. "Doesn't get beat deep. Keeps everything in front of him. Attacks the ball when he can. Really, (he) just does his job, does his job pretty well."

Teams don't test Sherman often, and his top 25 coverage grade of 75.8 for his position from Pro Football Focus further reinforces the risk teams take when targeting him. Rams passing game coordinator Shane Waldron went back to Sherman's second interception of the season as a recent example.

“You really need to be aware of him," Waldron said. "He had another great interception this past week, where he’s visual on the quarterback and he’s running the route before the route even declares itself, just because he’s got that great sense, that great awareness."

Familiarity is also at the forefront of L.A's offensive players and coaches minds as they continue their preparations.

"I think, like anything else, when you’re playing against a great player and a great player that’s seen so many route combinations throughout his career and does such an unbelievable job at pattern matching things, you’ve just got to be aware of him. You’ve got to be sure of the throws and the receivers have their part in running crisp routes and making sure that they’re really threatening him in all levels there.”

Whether as a member of the Seahawks or 49ers, Sherman has yet to record an interception through three meetings with the Rams in the Sean McVay era. That being said, Los Angeles isn't looking for that streak to end anytime soon and keenly aware that it could happen on any given play.

Sherman's body of work speaks to that.

"He’s always been a great player," Goff said. "Again, I think he’s just so smart and you can tell the way he reads patterns and understands offense and understands how we’re trying to attack a defense. Makes it tough on us.”

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Injury Report 10/9: Gurley, Matthews, Patrick and Talib non-participants as Rams begin prep for 49ers

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. – Rams RB Todd Gurley II(quadricep), LB Clay Matthews (jaw), LB Natrez Patrick(hamstring) and CB Aqib Talib (ribs) were non-participants in the first practice leading into Sunday's game against the 49ers.

Matthews' absence was expected, as McVay previously said Matthews will likely miss at least 4-6 weeks, but Gurley, Patrick and Talib emerged as new additions in the aftermath of last week's game against the Seahawks. McVay described Gurley's injury as a thigh bruise.

"After the game, you think it's your typical bumps and bruises and then it ends up being a little bit more than that," McVay said.

Specific to Gurley, Patrick and Talib, McVay characterized their statuses as day-to-day. If Gurley is unable to play, Malcolm Brown would start in his place, with rookie Darrell Henderson possibly seeing his first action since Week 1 at Carolina.

"Fortunately for us, we've got some depth at (the running back) position," McVay said.

Regardless of whether or not Patrick is available against San Francisco, McVay said OLB Obo Okoronkwo will also be asked to step up with Matthews out.

Meanwhile, safety Taylor Rapp (ankle), LB Bryce Hager (shoulder) and WR Brandin Cooks (concussion) were all limited, but McVay is optimistic about their status for Sunday.

"Those guys are on track to hopefully be able to play in the game," McVay said.
Below are the full injury reports for both teams.

109FBDEB-1400-47F3-B6F7-008B1E9B691D.jpeg

FE96C99E-BD35-4813-AB43-B65C1CE0E981.jpeg

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Found this on SF website. Figured we’d love it here. :D

Niners quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo just wins

Jimmy Garoppolo just wins.

Garoppolo is 12-2 as a starter, including 4-0 this season as the San Francisco 49ers lead the NFC West. He's a win away from tying Dan Marino, Kurt Warner, Philip Rivers, Mike Tomczak and Dak Prescott for third-most wins through 15 starts. Only Roger Staubach (14) and Ben Roethlisberger (15) had more.

Garoppolo earned his first two wins with New England while Tom Brady served a suspension. He didn't get another start until he was traded to the 49ers during the 2017 season and went 5-0 down the stretch for a 6-10 team.

His performance convinced San Francisco to give him a $137.5 million contract. He lasted just three games in 2018, going 1-2 before suffering a torn ACL. But Garoppolo is healthy again and back to his winning ways.

It helps that he has the NFL's best run offense. The Niners are averaging 200 yards rushing per game.

Matt Breida, Tevin Coleman and Raheem Mostert led a rushing attack that gained 275 yards in a rout over Cleveland on Monday night.

fearsomefour

Legend
It's a big deal for them not to have McGlinchey no doubt. If we had Matthews boy oh boy. As it is though I would think Wade tests the F out of the B & C gaps with pre-snap looks and blitzes. And it makes it likely we'll see some Fowler on that side too on pass downs.

Gonna be a lot of naked boots and screens on Sunday, mixed in with a ton of run game. I'm really looking forward to seeing our young LBs and how they hold up. They're going to play a huge role in how things go for us on Sunday IMO.
A lot of boots, screens, reverses, mis direction either way. Seems to be a staple of what Shanny does.

fearsomefour

Legend
I expect their passing game to be quick-outs to neutralize AD, which Crappolo seems pretty decent at.
A lot of misdirect and screens too I think.
JG has a very quick release. One of the better ones in the NFL. This will help neutralize the passrush as well. Hopefully he gets careless with the ball.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Found this on SF website. Figured we’d love it here. :D

Niners quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo just wins

Jimmy Garoppolo just wins.

Garoppolo is 12-2 as a starter, including 4-0 this season as the San Francisco 49ers lead the NFC West. He's a win away from tying Dan Marino, Kurt Warner, Philip Rivers, Mike Tomczak and Dak Prescott for third-most wins through 15 starts. Only Roger Staubach (14) and Ben Roethlisberger (15) had more.

Garoppolo earned his first two wins with New England while Tom Brady served a suspension. He didn't get another start until he was traded to the 49ers during the 2017 season and went 5-0 down the stretch for a 6-10 team.

His performance convinced San Francisco to give him a $137.5 million contract. He lasted just three games in 2018, going 1-2 before suffering a torn ACL. But Garoppolo is healthy again and back to his winning ways.

It helps that he has the NFL's best run offense. The Niners are averaging 200 yards rushing per game.

Matt Breida, Tevin Coleman and Raheem Mostert led a rushing attack that gained 275 yards in a rout over Cleveland on Monday night.
He doesn’t just win. He sits on the sideline while on injured reserve more than he wins. Jared Hoff on the other hand has won the division each year Jimmy Geesus has been a Whiner.

RedRam

Pro Bowler
All I know is I'm flying in from Munich on Saturday to be at the game on Sunday. I'm going to be tired and in no mood to see the same I saw against Tampa before I left for Germany. I fly home to NorCal after the game and have to work the next day with effing SF fans.

Win. The. Damn. Game.

Thank you!

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I am surprised that so much of the media is picking the Rams. I wouldn’t bet on it. I need to see last years Rams first.