49’ers at Rams Pregame Thread 10/08/19-10/12/19

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Are you saying that we were flexed to SNF? NFL.com still has us playing at 1:05pm and the Steelers/Chargers for SNF.

EDIT - Nevermind, I just did some searching around and it appears that they had until Tuesday to flex the game, and they did NOT flex it. It will be a afternoon game still.
What I read was they had to give fans two weeks to announce the changes for travel etc. Two weeks ago they'd have had to make the choice. Actually just read this says 12 days.

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
How to beat the Niners,
On D:
Put 8 in the box with 1 high safety. Push them out of their comfort zone and run more 11 groupings. Make Jimmy G beat us.

On O:
Start in 12 grouping and run the ball. Stretch the field with quick passes. If 49ers are playing 1 high run pa.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
I said this last year. The Niners are building a great front seven and that could give them an edge at some point if Jimmy can stay healthy and play well to support that defense.

Thus the Rams need get their defensive front seven on a similar level. Right now its Donald & Fowler and a bunch of JAGs.

Need to add a couple of DL high in the draft next yr. The LB corp looks to have potential, but DL needs tons if help along with CB.

Fix that and the Rams could be dominant.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
Everett will have a better game than Kittle. Calling it first!

He just might

In my 12 team league we actually must have two TEs

Mine are Kittle and Everett

Kittle usually kills the Rams but with Everetts recent play, not to mention game planning vs the 6 man front...I’m really struggling with whom to start

Ram65

Legend
This will be a battle. Whiners looked rested and fast Monday night. Hopefully, the Rams getting a few extra days off will give them better legs. Also, be great to have Rapp back. The Rams need to come out like they are starting the second half. Mix it up with 12 and 11 P with the run game. Have to keep that pass rush off balance.

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
I said this last year. The Niners are building a great front seven and that could give them an edge at some point if Jimmy can stay healthy and play well to support that defense.

Thus the Rams need get their defensive front seven on a similar level. Right now its Donald & Fowler and a bunch of JAGs.

Need to add a couple of DL high in the draft next yr. The LB corp looks to have potential, but DL needs tons if help along with CB.

Fix that and the Rams could be dominant.
Brockers, Matthews and Littleton are not JAGS, dude.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Brockers, Matthews and Littleton are not JAGS, dude.

Brockers has no pass rush ability and is okay against the run at best at this point. Plus this is his last yr. Matthews is a stop gap 34 yr old. I will give you Littleton, but he is not a guy that plays on the other side of the line of scrimmage as he is more of a cover LB.

The point is when its 3rd and 8, we can't get to the QB very often. They need the some new blood up front. I think the regression and the subsequent release of JFM caught them by surprise in that they expected him to take a step up this year and be a big factor.

fearsomefour

Legend
Barring Superman Donald showing up for a career game, we are about to get roasted folks.

Niners are hitting on all cylinders and our offensive timing belt is still off.

The Niners run game dwarfs ours right now.

Maybe wade can pull a rabbit out of his butt this week
Losing Matthews is huge for this game.
Whether it is OBO or Patrick getting snaps Shanny is going to test and stress those guys to stay discipled and not over pursue.
Rams OL is struggling and the Whiners front is loaded. Another hard match up.
Running the ball the Rams need to run right at them. The cutesy wootsy wide stuff probably won’t work.
The Rams could success throwing but I would like to see the Rams take a page out of what Shanny does so well and pass out of two TE sets.
I keep trying to see a way the Rams take this one but having a hard time.
Turnovers maybe?

Ellard80

Legend
wasn't this place created so homers didn't have to read endless posts from "realists" telling everyone how the rams suck?

i'm really hating the mood of this place this season.

anyone saying the Rams team currently "sucks" isn't being a realist....

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
Brockers has no pass rush ability and is okay against the run at best at this point. Plus this is his last yr. Matthews is a stop gap 34 yr old. I will give you Littleton, but he is not a guy that plays on the other side of the line of scrimmage as he is more of a cover LB.

The point is when its 3rd and 8, we can't get to the QB very often. They need the some new blood up front. I think the regression and the subsequent release of JFM caught them by surprise in that they expected him to take a step up this year and be a big factor.
We're relying on SJD to stop the run, not Brockers. Speaking of SJD, he's been getting in the back field quite easily to disrupt the running game thanks to AD, Fowler and Brockers. Brockers may not be having his best year stat wise but he is far from a JAG. That 34 yr old stop gap player named Matthews is also our leader in sacks so far. He has jist as many sacks in 5 games than he had all last season. I'll even argue E bomb (Ebukam) is not a JAG. After his game against the Chiefs last season he made a pretty good name for himself that even non Ram fans still recognize.

RocknRam29

Live, Love, Laugh, & Learn

MachS

Hall of Fame
Noteboom, Allen, Blythe, and Havenstein vs. Dee Ford, Deforest Buckner, Nick Bosa, Arik Armstead??

Uhhh.. honestly what are we going to do with that?

Not to mention Kwan Alexender and Fred Warner are both real good in their front 7. While other teams are trading for guys like Tunsil, we're stuck with turnstiles that have to try and block 1st round, top 5 pick talent. It's hard to not see us getting dominated up front.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
First Look: Rams host 49ers seeking first divisional win

After a 30-29 loss to the Seattle Seahawks last week, the 3-2 Rams get another shot at claiming their first divisional win of the season by hosting the undefeated and NFC West-leading San Francisco 49ers (4-0) on Sunday at Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum.

Los Angeles and Seattle last squared off on December 30, 2018, a 48-32 L.A. win. Of note, this will be the first time the Rams will be preparing for 49ers starting QB Jimmy Garoppolo since December 31, 2017 because of a torn ACL Garoppolo sustained in Week 3 against the Chiefs last year.

In advance of the game, here’s an early look at the 49ers, including notable additions, their top statistical performers so far, where they rank in certain statistical categories and key storylines.

Notable additions
  • Signed RB Tevin Coleman as an unrestricted free agent in March. Now in his fifth NFL season, Coleman has amassed 550 carries for 2460 yards and 19 touchdowns, plus 94 catches for 1043 yards and 11 scores across 58 career games. The former Indiana University standout spent his first four seasons with the Atlanta Falcons, who chose him in the third round of the 2015 NFL Draft. Upon signing a two-year deal with the 49ers, Coleman reunited with head coach Kyle Shanahan who was Coleman's offensive coordinator during his first two seasons in Atlanta.
  • Traded for Chiefs LB Dee Ford in March. Ford spent his first five seasons in Kansas City, finishing second on the team with a career-best 13 sacks in 2018. Now playing along the defensive line, his three sacks share with top draft pick Nick Bosa for most on the 49ers this season.
Top performers in Week 5

Garoppolo completed 20 of 29 pass attempts for 181 yards and two touchdowns in the 49ers' 31-3 win over the Browns on Monday Night Football.

San Francisco had more rushing yards (275) than Cleveland had total yards of offense (180), keyed by Matt Breida and Coleman. Breida finished with 11 carries for 114 yards, his lone touchdown coming on the first play of scrimmage – an 83-yard run. He also chipped in three receptions for 15 yards and one touchdown. Coleman registered 16 carries for 97 yards and one touchdown.

TE George Kittle was on the receiving end of Garoppolo's other touchdown, adding a team-high six catches for 70 yards in the victory.

Defensively, Bosa had his best game of the season, finishing with four total tackles, two sacks, one safety and one forced fumble. CBs Richard Sherman and K'Waun Williams each tallied an interception.

On special teams, kicker Robbie Gould missed three of his four field goal attempts but converted all four of his extra point attempts.

Rankings

Offense
  • Points Per Game: 2nd (31.8)
  • Yards Per Game: 4th (427.2)
  • Passing Yards Per Game: 22nd (227.2)
  • Rushing Yards Per Game: 1st (200.0)
Defense
  • Points Allowed Per Game: 4th (14.2)
  • Yards Allowed Per Game: 2nd (257.5)
  • Passing Yards Allowed Per Game: 2nd (175.8)
  • Rushing Yards Allowed Per Game: 5th (81.8)
Early storylines to watch, and what they mean for the Rams

The 49ers are among the NFL's most committed teams when it comes to running the ball.

Their 154 carries as a team share with the Seahawks for third-most rushing attempts in the league through the first five weeks of the season, averaging 200 rushing yards per contest. It speaks to San Francisco's talented group of running backs between Breida, Coleman and Raheem Mostert.

Given the number of quality options in the 49ers backfield, this could very well end up being one of the toughest tests for the Rams' run defense this season.

A dominant running game like that also impacts time of possession. If the 49ers are able to establish the run and control the clock, it will place an increased emphasis on the Rams' offense capitalizing on each possession it gets.

RamsFanCK

HAIL ME
This week is dragging on and on. Not only have we been waiting forever for the Rams to play again, but this 9er love is starting to grate on me. Hope the team feels the same and comes out on fire!

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Those are some insanely good numbers. Wish we had a dominate defense.

Kevin

Pro Bowler
For all this concern about the offensive line, the Rams offense ranks fifth in the league in yards per game and sixth in points scored per game. Young players like Allen, Noteboom and others should get better as the season goes on.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
Here’s what I do know.

We must win this game if we want a shot at winning the division.

If we lose to the Niners, we will be chasing them the next 8 games. And we will be 3 losses behind them. That means we will have to win 3 more games than they do in our next 8 games just to be tied with them going into our game against them in SF. For example, if they went 5-4 after beating us, we would have to go 7-1 to be tied with them going into the game in SF. If they went 6-3, we’d have to go 8-0.

And then we will need to beat them in SF, otherwise we have no shot of winning the division.

Simply put, if we lose Sunday, our only realistic shot to make the playoffs will be as a WC.

That, my friends, is what a must win game looks like in my books. We absolutely need to win this game, and I have no doubt McVay understands all this.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Maybe, but the bigger issue is getting some big boys up front. The idea that we have the talent but it’s just inexperienced now is totally off the wall.

I was at the panthers game and Allen and Blythe were tiny compared to the guys they faced. And Noteboom isn’t strong enough.
Look at the size of Edwards and Evans and I think the Rams were aware of this.