OFFICIAL 2022 NFL coaching carousel

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
FWIW, my father was the same way when it came to Sherman, he would say: "They had Lombardi & Landry and they went with Sherman."

Now timing is everything and Lombardi left in 1959, Landry in 1960, Howell didn't retire until after the 1960 season so Allie Sherman was still there. Sherman's overall record was 63-59-4 and that was with some really tough seasons in 1964 & 1966. Lost three straight Championship Games from 61-63, twice to the Packers and once to the Chicago Bears.

Wellington Mara, tried to bring Lombardi back to New York, but that never materialized and Lombardi stayed in Green Bay.

I actually had the pleasure of Meeting Allie Sherman in Saratoga, conversed with him for several minutes as we spoke about him on NFL Films "Watch the Pass, Watch the Pass." And the current state of the New York Giants at that time as the Giants training in Albany, NY back then. Sherman was a Gentleman & a heck of a nice guy, but it's obvious that things might had been different if Jim Lee Howell had retired a couple of years earlier. Mara was close with Lombardi and I believe they (Giants) would have hired Lombardi over Landry.
We are so on the same page.

When I got older, I pointed out to my father that Lombardi left in '59; and Landry in 1960 ... and the initial success of Sherman. I got the Death Stare! Then I got my father's explanation.

Lombardi, despite the Brooklyn, Fordham and Army connections was not going to get the Giants' job; and his Italian heritage had much to do with it. I think this is accurate, having read biographies and seen documentaries that support it. However, after Lombardi's success, the Giants did indeed want him back.

Less certain about Landry ... whether the Giants wanted him or passed-him-over. Perhaps he wanted to be in Texas (born there and played college ball at Texas), and/or preferred to be with an expansion team.

As to Sherman's initial success, my father credited that to the roster that was in place before Sherman got the job. Once some of those guys got old/retired, Sherman couldn't re-build a roster. Dad also blamed Sherman for getting rid of players too early (still had 'something in-the-tank' he would say). Players like Rosey Grier to the Rams and Sam Huff to Washington.

By-the-Way, I believe Jim Lee Howell moved to the Front Office in 1961, so I don't know that Sherman was making all the personnel decisions back. I chose not to mention this to my Father, as I did not want to receive another Death Stare!

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Only if it's a polyester leisure suit...I don't go half dressed, you knuckle dragger!

IJ7bOgu.jpg

(stealing a line from Boogie Nights) ...

That's imported Italian polyester, right?

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
That would be a nice upgrade for Rhule.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That would be a nice upgrade for Rhule.
They also have a second interview with the Colts rb coach either done or scheduled.

Last edited:

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I don't think Gruden would come to Los Angeles, IMO, Jay Gruden would take a job where he will be calling plays and Carolina might be a nice fit for Gruden. They have QB issues, but I still believe in Matt Rhule as a Head Coach & maybe they can find a signal caller to propel them accordingly.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I sort of trust Rappoport is the kind of guy who would consider sources, so that a report from the owner wouldn't carry all that much weight. And I'd also think he would have enough contacts to get a few corroborations that give him what he needs to tweet that reply. I mean his tone was contrary. So my guess is his sources weren't just owners or those tied closely to them.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I sort of trust Rappoport is the kind of guy who would consider sources, so that a report from the owner wouldn't carry all that much weight. And I'd also think he would have enough contacts to get a few corroborations that give him what he needs to tweet that reply. I mean his tone was contrary. So my guess is his sources weren't just owners or those tied closely to them.
What's the old saying? Where there's smoke there's fire.

View: https://twitter.com/kentsomers/status/1484296215059566594?s=21

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I would love to see them start over. Hoping they fire Kingsbury. Dooooo eeeeet!!!

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
As long as they keep Keim. The Cards remind me so much of the Padres. Make a splash hype themselves up with a good start and fade into irrelevance at the end of the season. A couple times in their history they've caught fire and come close though.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
As long as they keep Keim. The Cards remind me so much of the Padres. Make a splash hype themselves up with a good start and fade into irrelevance at the end of the season. A couple times in their history they've caught fire and come close though.
Funny had a friend of mine ask me at the beginning of last year what I thought about all moves the Padres had made? And I responded: “I don’t lost sleep at night worrying about the San Diego Padres.”