OFFICIAL 2022 NFL coaching carousel

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Shaw has mentioned the NFL over the years in ways that makes me think he isn't up for the grind of it. Last interview I watched with him he was talking about the quick firings. So I sort of have him figured as a career college guy.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Another name that used to pop up a lot is Jim Caldwell. He interviewed for Jacksonville. He had some moments in good situations but overall I don’t understand how he keeps getting opportunities. In comparison to Raheem Morris I think Caldwell comes up short from a personality perspective.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Shaw has mentioned the NFL over the years in ways that makes me think he isn't up for the grind of it. Last interview I watched with him he was talking about the quick firings. So I sort of have him figured as a career college guy.
If you like where your at then why move on? Other than getting fired, if a college coach is successful and happy then stay.

I think the difference between college and the NFL is understated. They are very different jobs. Bill O’Brien hated the recruiting trail, talking to parents, answering to the AD, going to booster events, etc,… He prefers just to coach and be left to do his job.

Then other guys flourish in college with the schmoozing and salesmanship. James Franklin seems better suited to college, Urban Meyer does too.

They are two different professions at the head coach level.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Shaw is another guy that doesn’t move the needle for me. He gets mentioned every year yet never gets a job. Is it a personality thing?
Shaw had other opportunities previously, but stayed in Palo Alto and now Stanford is becoming ordinary. IMO, he's not moving and do you remember his Dad Willie Shaw who was DC for the Rams under Rich Brooks?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Shaw had other opportunities previously, but stayed in Palo Alto and now Stanford is becoming ordinary. IMO, he's not moving and do you remember his Dad Willie Shaw who was DC for the Rams under Rich Brooks?
I forgot about his Dad being a Rams coach.

I recall being excited about the Brooks hire. That went nowhere.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I recall being excited about the Brooks hire. That went nowhere.
Yeah I wasn't, he really never won at Oregon until 1994 and then he became Ram Head Coach and I realize there might have been limited options at the time because of the move, but I felt Gene Stallings would have been the best hire and looking back, I still feel that way.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Yeah I wasn't, he really never won at Oregon until 1994 and then he became Ram Head Coach and I realize there might have been limited options at the time because of the move, but I felt Gene Stallings would have been the best hire and looking back, I still feel that way.
In the 90’s in PA my sports info was basically limited to the team clips in the USA Today and the monthly Sporting News. It sucked for Rams news and West coast sports news in general. So I get a mulligan.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
In the 90’s in PA my sports info was basically limited to the team clips in the USA Today and the monthly Sporting News. It sucked for Rams news and West coast sports news in general. So I get a mulligan.
Brooks was actually a special teams coach for the Rams under Tommy Prothro in 71-72 before he got the Head Coaching gig at Oregon in 1977. In fairness, Oregon was nothing before he took it over and made them relevant even though he was only a few games over .500.

Did an excellent job at Kentucky laying the groundwork for their recent success under Mark Stoops, however, his overall record in college between Oregon & Kentucky was 130–156–4.

Last edited:

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Shaw is another guy that doesn’t move the needle for me. He gets mentioned every year yet never gets a job. Is it a personality thing?

Nah, he makes a ton of money to live in an amazing place that his wife absolutely LOVES.

Also, even with recruiting, the time commitments for a Power 5 HC versus and NFL HC are no comparison and Shaw has been very up front that his wife really doesn't want to be an NFL widow.

So, he spends a ton of time with the Draft stuff and continues to build good will with the NFL in case he ever does choose to pursue it, but every year, the chances he moves to the NFL diminishes.

But if I wagered, I'd wager Shaw would be very successful in the NFL.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Nah, he makes a ton of money to live in an amazing place that his wife absolutely LOVES.

Also, even with recruiting, the time commitments for a Power 5 HC versus and NFL HC are no comparison and Shaw has been very up front that his wife really doesn't want to be an NFL widow.

So, he spends a ton of time with the Draft stuff and continues to build good will with the NFL in case he ever does choose to pursue it, but every year, the chances he moves to the NFL diminishes.

But if I wagered, I'd wager Shaw would be very successful in the NFL.
I'm not so sure about that. Things are kind of unraveling at Stanford.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I'm not so sure about that. Things are kind of unraveling at Stanford.
I happen to agree, although maybe Shaw has gotten a little stale and a new job might just reinvigorate him, but Stanford right now is a program trending downward IMHO.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Even if Shaw gets axed at Stanford he'd be out of a job for like 5 minutes. The college game will pay him as long as he wants. I don't think he's a guy who will ever jump into the supercharged competitive environment of NFL coaching. It's not for everyone.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah if you're after Shaw now IMO is the time to go get him. They're on a downward trend and you have to think USC is going to start trending up.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I dont think Stanford is on a downward trend, I think they are victims of their own success. They lose Shaw and its back to winning 3-4 games every year

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I dont think Stanford is on a downward trend, I think they are victims of their own success. They lose Shaw and its back to winning 3-4 games every year
I could see that, back to the Paul Wiggin days.
1642629314781.png

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Polyester coaching pants. Still wear mine to the bar.
~ @Loyal

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Also of note with that year's team...

Aubry Pleasant was Offensive Assistant. He might end up a HC at some point.

Bobby Turner was RB coach for Mike Shanahan and went with Kyle Shanahan when he got the Falcons and 9ers jobs. I have always suspected that Bobby Turner is some kind of run game genius due to the way Kyle's run game has that same potency his Dad's run game had. More likely Turner being the common link has something to do with it than it being genetic or some secret thing passed father to son.

And you know what's really crazy is look how stocked the offensive staff was. Then look at Shanahan's defensive staff (though it did have Raheem Morris). :laugh4:

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Also of note with that year's team...

Aubry Pleasant was Offensive Assistant. He might end up a HC at some point.

Bobby Turner was RB coach for Mike Shanahan and went with Kyle Shanahan when he got the 9ers job. I have always suspected that Bobby Turner is some kind of run game genius due to the way Kyle's run game has that same potency his Dad's run game had. More likely Turner being the common link has something to do with it than it being genetic or some secret thing passed father to son.

And you know what's really crazy is look how stocked the offensive staff was. Then look at Shanahan's defensive staff (though it did have Raheem Morris). :laugh4:
Best part is who they hired to take over :D Good old Jay Gruden.