Vikings Fan Here

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

NorvZimmer

UDFA
Move on, man. This board isn't about grudge matches.

How about telling me how your receivers are going to have any success against our secondary.
As you probably know we don't have a very accomplished passing game this year.
Diggs is a great route runner and gives it his all every play. He seems to get open a lot.
Wallace is extremely fast so is Jarius wright, I think wright has more "quickness"
Johnson to me has been a disappointment, although he has been injured a lot of the year he still has barely showed up. Last game he showed up huge and made one of the best catches I have seen this year. Along with his catch, teddy's 19 yard scamper and Blair walsh fg is why we won that game.

As for how they are going to beat your secondary I am not sure. I don't know or heard too much about your secondary this year.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
As for how they are going to beat your secondary I am not sure. I don't know or heard too much about your secondary this year.
Understandable. I wouldn't expect you to be well versed on the Rams. Aside from being the 3rd ranked run defense, we have the 4th ranked pass defense according to Football Outsiders. Jenkins is having one of those typical contract year --- years. He's become pretty much a lock down corner, so he's going to draw whoever your best receiver is, regardless of how fast he is. Trumaine Johnson (should he play) is a top 15 corner on the field and on paper (PFF). Our safeties bring the redwood lumber on every play and are utilized in such a way that they can play downhill. Your best bet would be to spread out your offense and run tons of vertical routes to get everyone off the line and even run AP out of those same spread sets. At least that's what I would do if I were Norv. But he's a million times smarter than me, so you'll probably do the opposite.

NorvZimmer

UDFA
Understandable. I wouldn't expect you to be well versed on the Rams. Aside from being the 3rd ranked run defense, we have the 4th ranked pass defense according to Football Outsiders. Jenkins is having one of those typical contract year --- years. He's become pretty much a lock down corner, so he's going to draw whoever your best receiver is, regardless of how fast he is. Trumaine Johnson (should he play) is a top 15 corner on the field and on paper (PFF). Our safeties bring the redwood lumber on every play and are utilized in such a way that they can play downhill. Your best bet would be to spread out your offense and run tons of vertical routes to get everyone off the line and even run AP out of those same spread sets. At least that's what I would do if I were Norv. But he's a million times smarter than me, so you'll probably do the opposite.
Espn has you averaging 230 pass yards given up a game.
If teddy gets 230, I would be happy with that (y)

Name
josey wales
Move on, man. This board isn't about grudge matches.

How about telling me how your receivers are going to have any success against our secondary.

FTR, Teddy put up 265 yards passing on Denver, which is the #1 ranked defense against the pass (in yards). If memory serves, the Rams are somewhere around 8th?

I'm not a "prediction guy", but I think it will come down to the wire, most likely with one of the defenses making a play to seal the game.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Espn has you averaging 230 pass yards given up a game.
If teddy gets 230, I would be happy with that (y)
That's not a ton of yards when you consider how much underneath stuff the Rams are willing to relinquish between the 20's. It's when you get into redzone territory that opposing QB ratings begin to plummet.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
FTR, Teddy put up 265 yards passing on Denver, which is the #1 ranked defense against the pass (in yards). If memory serves, the Rams are somewhere around 8th?

I'm not a "prediction guy", but I think it will come down to the wire, most likely with one of the defenses making a play to seal the game.
I'm a Teddy fan. I was lobbying the Rams to draft him (as was @jrry32), so I'm no stranger to his talents. And I think Norv is doing a good job developing him. As far as how he did against Denver ... that's no more indicative of how he'll do against the Rams as would be the game against San Diego. I didn't watch that game (DEN), but I'm gonna do it now to see what Norv did, or Phillips didn't do.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Earlier in another thread I predicted a 20-10 Rams win. But I've since changed my mind about it. I still think we'll win, I still think you guys will get 10, but I'm thinking we may only get 13. I just can't look past our passing game like some can.

You feed the ball to Gurley 25-30 times and TA 10-15, and we'll put up points.

NorvZimmer

UDFA
I'm a Teddy fan. I was lobbying the Rams to draft him (as was @jrry32), so I'm no stranger to his talents. And I think Norv is doing a good job developing him. As far as how he did against Denver ... that's no more indicative of how he'll do against the Rams as would be the game against San Diego. I didn't watch that game (DEN), but I'm gonna do it now to see what Norv did, or Phillips didn't do.
I think they will use a similar game plan against the Rams as they did against the Broncos. I think the Rams have a similar pass rush ad the Broncos... I mean they are both very good.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
That's not a ton of yards when you consider how much underneath stuff the Rams are willing to relinquish between the 20's. It's when you get into redzone territory that opposing QB ratings begin to plummet.
The underneath stuff is what you will see most of, check downs and maybe a shot down field or two. YAC is really only your real concern, and with diggs prob a big one. If your safeties play like they have they'll keep them in check. Oh I forgot, worst case if things go south for us we always have Shawn Hill! :)

NorvZimmer

UDFA
The underneath stuff is what you will see most of, check downs and maybe a shot down field or two. YAC is really only your real concern, and with diggs prob a big one. If your safeties play like they have they'll keep them in check. Oh I forgot, worst case if things go south for us we always have Shawn Hill! :)
I think a lot of our guys diggs, wright, ETC are pretty darn good after the catch.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I think they will use a similar game plan against the Rams as they did against the Broncos. I think the Rams have a similar pass rush ad the Broncos... I mean they are both very good.
I have to watch that Denver game before I can give an opinion about whether or not that's a good idea. It's usually not wise to duplicate a game plan once a game is on tape, but again ... I have no idea what you did.
Shaun 'The Thrill' Hill. I pray to all that's holy that you don't unleash that wrecking machine on us. :eek:

YAC is hard to come by on this defense lately. Every week they get stingier and hit harder. The Vikings are 27th in the league in yards after the catch at the moment (source), so I'm not so sure that you're going to improve all that much this Sunday.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This should be a fun game. Zimmer and Fisher are very different people but they instill the same sort of attitude in their defenses. Both of these defenses are physical and violent. I've loved the way the Rams have played this year. Your WRs better be ready to get hit.(I know Peterson is) Our defenders...especially our secondary...lay the lumber.

These teams are pretty much mirrors of each other. Incredibly talented HBs with inconsistent and often poor passing games and a top 5 defense. I think this game comes down to three things:
1. The QB (unfortunately, I give y'all the edge here)
2. The OL (could go either ways)
3. The HB (could go either ways)

We know both defenses are going to come to play in this game. The question is which offense executes better. Both of our OLs and QBs have been inconsistent. Both of our HBs are supremely talented. We'll see who comes out and plays better on offense. Turnovers will be very important in this game.

The Diggs-Jenkins match-up should be fun. Diggs is off to a great start but Jenkins is playing incredible football this year and has completely clamped down on the long ball.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
There's really no shit to talk until after the games over for either side. This is "the" mid-season definitive game for both teams. We will know who's for real after the final whistle blows Sunday.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Found some interesting stats on the two defenses.
Points Per Drive Allowed
Rams - 1.22 Points
Vikings - 1.64 Points

Yards Per Play Allowed
Rams - 5.0 yards
Vikings - 5.5 yards

That should speak volumes of how great the Rams defense has been this year. The Vikings have a top 5 defense in the league right now. IMO, the only defense outplaying the Rams is the Denver Broncos defense.

There's really no crap to talk until after the games over for either side. This is "the" mid-season definitive game for both teams. We will know who's for real after the final whistle blows Sunday.

Very true. It's also interesting that the team's schedules are headed in opposite directions. The Vikings are hitting the very difficult part of their schedule while the Rams are in the midst of the easy part of their schedule.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
http://www.ramsrule.com/herd/read.php?5,607706,607905#msg-607905

Team Defenses STUFF % RAMS Rank #2 in the league and the vikes are currently 28TH . I think the RAMS would be #1 by a mile if it was'nt for the nightmare in Washington before GURLEYII and they used that 3 TE set to run on us. I'd love to have that one back again now. Still ranked 2ND in Stuffing The RUN.
Now that is a interesting stat. While I'm not a huge fan of Norv T, he has displayed alot of 3 TE formations so I'd think we'll see some of that as well.