Suck for the Duck? Or make a trade for Cousins?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
Also, on the Bradford topic since others were mentioning it, even if he does come back he wouldn't have played in a real NFL game in a year and a half.

I'm all for the guy and he has tons of talent but you gotta look at it with somewhat of a realist perspective. At least have someone that is competent waiting in the wings.
Absolutely. I personally think Bradford can be the guy. But HAVE to start looking at the future like he isn't. I think the way Fisher gets fired is dependent on how he handles the QB situation next offseason. I never thought his job was tied to the teams wins but more how he manages the team. Unexpected injuries happened to our promising QB. After two years it is time for a redundancy plan.

jjab360

Legend
If anyone recalls, the Rams pretty much sucked swamp gas the first 4 games last year. It was hard to find anyone on the team who was playing up to their abilities let alone surpassing them,
Exactly. We looked just as bad or almost as bad after the Dallas and 49er games last year. Fisher and Schotty took a good, long look in the mirror after that TNF game and made the adjustments they needed to be a competitive team the rest of the season even without Bradford.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
If anyone recalls, the Rams pretty much sucked swamp gas the first 4 games last year. It was hard to find anyone on the team who was playing up to their abilities let alone surpassing them,
We adjusted not because our franchise QB was knocked out the week before and our 3rd String QB was playing...It was to focus on the running game and hopefully Bradford could execute PlayAction....He was injured not too long after, so we never actually saw how good he could be in the system. Now, we still have the running game and an old Shaun Hill....

Ramathon, I want you to be right so bad it hurts, bro..I do

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Nah I have a Hunch for Hundley or Hopes for Hogan.

Ewww, Kevin Hogan.... Dat wind up.

Hogan-Windup.jpg

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau

Hogan-Windup.jpg
I watched that game closely, and he has a SUUUPPPEEERRR long wind up. Not cool in the NFL. He did make a couple of wow, NFL type throws though.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
All this talk of Mariota. Did anyone watch him play Saturday? Throw out the stats. Any QB in the league could have completed those TD passes. The first one was the toughest and the receiver had 5 yards separation. Sorry - I have watched him play his entire career and am a big time Duck fan. If I liked him as a QB I would be all over the Rams drafting him.

BTW - not a fan of the thread title.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
All this talk of Mariota. Did anyone watch him play Saturday? Throw out the stats. Any QB in the league could have completed those TD passes. The first one was the toughest and the receiver had 5 yards separation. Sorry - I have watched him play his entire career and am a big time Duck fan. If I liked him as a QB I would be all over the Rams drafting him.

BTW - not a fan of the thread title.

I personally like Mariota because he's a better, more humble, more accurate version of Kaepernick (who, in my opinion, was one of the best quarterbacks I watched in college). He doesn't have the Leftwich-esque windup of Hogan, he's more polished than Hundley (likely has more upside as well), he doesn't have the massive character flaws that Winston has, and when you put the tape on his play vs. Cooks', he made more plays when his team needed him to make them. He engineered a large comeback against an elite Michigan State defense.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Hogan-Windup.jpg

That's what I was telling people haha. Mannion has a similarly ugly and long wind-up. Jameis also has a release that's a bit elongated but it's less problematic than Hogan's and Mannion's.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack

Hogan-Windup.jpg

That was my take on Hogan. Windup, but makes very nice throws. I actually think with the Rams current offense, he may be the best fit. If the Rams end up winning a few games, Mariotta and Winston are likely gone, anyway, as Hundley may be as well. Depends if the Rams can win some games.

That said, Hogan's biggest issue going into the Combine will be tightening up that throwing motion, cuz...dat windup...

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
That's what I was telling people haha. Mannion has a similarly ugly and long wind-up. Jameis also has a release that's a bit elongated but it's less problematic than Hogan's and Mannion's.

Jameis has that elite pocket presence, and he's only in his second year of starting. He could be very good.

Mannion has a pretty good arm, but I agree his mechanics are a bit off. If we don't want to keep taking steps back, and IF IF IF we take a QB in the draft, it has to be someone that is aware of what's going on. I do think Petty can be pretty good, but he missed some wide open throws in week one, and that concerns me.

Jameis is the top prospect for me right now. At this point, I think Mariota is just like Kaep in terms of arm talent.

The other issue is a cooridnator. You have all these Air Raid QBs in college that put up crazy numbers, but don't do so well in the NFL such as Case Keenum, Graham Harrell, and so on. Foles ran the Air Raid but he's playing for Kelly that is running a version of the Air Raid in the NFL. Holgorsen Air Raid is said to be designed that any QB can succeed inside of it....and I wish we could lure him away from WVU this offseason, but I believe he has a contract until like 2016 or something.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Jameis has that elite pocket presence, and he's only in his second year of starting. He could be very good.

Mannion has a pretty good arm, but I agree his mechanics are a bit off. If we don't want to keep taking steps back, and IF IF IF we take a QB in the draft, it has to be someone that is aware of what's going on. I do think Petty can be pretty good, but he missed some wide open throws in week one, and that concerns me.

Jameis is the top prospect for me right now. At this point, I think Mariota is just like Kaep in terms of arm talent.

The other issue is a cooridnator. You have all these Air Raid QBs in college that put up crazy numbers, but don't do so well in the NFL such as Case Keenum, Graham Harrell, and so on. Foles ran the Air Raid but he's playing for Kelly that is running a version of the Air Raid in the NFL. Holgorsen Air Raid is said to be designed that any QB can succeed inside of it....and I wish we could lure him away from WVU this offseason, but I believe he has a contract until like 2016 or something.

What Chip Kelly runs isn't the Air Raid. I'm not a huge Holgorsen guy. Not sold that the Air Raid would work in the NFL without significant overhaul. Even then, it's not something any QB can succeed in. I'll tell you, Texas A&M OC Jake Spavital has impressed me, though.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
I'm still all for winning 9-10, playoffs, and trading up for one of several good QB prospects this year.

Ramathon

IMO, a lot of it is product of the new CBA, and the fear of players getting hurt. We are not ready, and not in football shape. We'll get there, and if we didn't have so many momentum killing penalties, deserved or not, the game would have been different, at least.

There's one gigantic 'but...' in that theory. And that is that every team plays under the same rules and faces all those same limitations.

If the Vikes had beat the Rams Sunday, say 17-14, or something of that nature, I wouldn't be at all worried. I'd be disappointed, but not remotely worried.

But when, for the 2nd year in a row, they come out and don't even look competitive, that causes me to raise an eyebrow. Not saying the season is over by any means. It is just one game. But if the first 1/4 of the season goes by and IF they're still 'playing' the way they did this first game (and like they did the first 4 games of last season), then I think Fisher's seat might well start getting a little toasty.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
There's one gigantic 'but...' in that theory. And that is that every team plays under the same rules and faces all those same limitations.

If the Vikes had beat the Rams Sunday, say 17-14, or something of that nature, I wouldn't be at all worried. I'd be disappointed, but not remotely worried.

But when, for the 2nd year in a row, they come out and don't even look competitive, that causes me to raise an eyebrow. Not saying the season is over by any means. It is just one game. But if the first 1/4 of the season goes by and IF they're still 'playing' the way they did this first game (and like they did the first 4 games of last season), then I think Fisher's seat might well start getting a little toasty.
Except the Seahawks, you mean.

This preseason for the Rams was the strangest that I've ever seen, and we reacted to some of the injuries in a way that we are not accustomed to. We can blame that on the staff I guess, but I think they were just trying to get through the preseason with half a team still intact. We have been dealing from a mass of injuries that have hit almost every unit in a profound way. As far as Fisher goes, nobody cares what the team is dealing with, or how many starters are out, you have to win, no matter what. I didn't like a lot of what I saw on the field. Certainly, Fisher will take his share of blame for that.

AZRamsFan93

If you right about Mariota, then he will do quite well. Kaep has the strongest arm in the NFL - he struggles with the touch throws, but he has a cannon.

AZRamsFan93

I don't know where people get the impression that Chip Kelly runs an "air it out" offense. He runs a fast offense that is dominated by running the ball. He did that at Oregon and he is doing it again with the Eagles.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
I don't know where people get the impression that Chip Kelly runs an "air it out" offense. He runs a fast offense that is dominated by running the ball. He did that at Oregon and he is doing it again with the Eagles.

Since this post I have learned a little more about him. He pretty much uses concepts from a couple different offenses, and will use whatever works. So he's not Air Raid.

But Air Raid doesn't necessarily mean all pass. With Mike Leach it pretty much does. But Dana Holgorsen runs an Air Raid at WVU, and is actually really balanced in terms of running and passing.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title

You know, the "experts" attacked Dan Marino too...Some in here keep saying Kaepernick can't throw...Look at the type of system Hogan runs.. Look at the athleticism. Look at the arm talent. You think any average QB coach can't fix his wind-up? I'm still looking at a bunch of these college QB's, but he is still at or near the top of my list, definitely ahead of any Pistol/Read Option/primarily shot-gun/spread QB....And that includes Marriota & Winston....Processes information, quickly...athlete, pro-style system....oh, the clincher, STRONG ARM.