Rams trade Givens

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
What people seem to be missing here by saying someone like Bailey could fill the same role as Cook are the matchup and personnel groupings that come from having a TE on the field as a slot receiver. Teams are more likely to stay in a base personnel and try to cover Cook with either a safety or a LB. Whether you think he is the answer or not, there is a major difference in putting a third WR on the field and facing a nickel vs. keeping Cook on there facing a base scheme. At the end of the day, he just needs to be more consistent. But make no mistake about it, he does create a matchup problem for any defense.

Very true.

One thing to consider, however, is that once Gurley gets going facing a nickel D might be the goal.

Cook's window is shrinking IMO. Doesn't matter how good a matchup you are if you cannot be trusted to execute in the crunch.

I think Bailey in the slot would greatly benefit this offense. It also might benefit Cook to watch from the bench. Might lead to him working on his game and better focus when they do trot him out there.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
We all wanted to see Bailey get reps, we all wanted to see Quick return, and play. I just don't see the problem, because Givens never really evolved, from being a one trick pony, at least in our coaches eyes.

Someone had to go, to make room for Watts. Givens isn't a core special teamer. I liked Givens, I wish he could have gotten a few deep looks from Foles, but then again, I want all of our receivers to get more looks from Foles.

We got what most of the people in this forum wanted, let's hope it works out.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
What's it look like when you take away Quick's 5 biggest plays?
Brian Quick is a much better receiver than Givens on his worst day. The route tree, the physical skill set and overall athleticism isn't even close. Givens was the epitome of a one trick pony, and was easily taken away by simply rolling a safety over the top. From the day he got here, he showed a hesitation to go over the middle. Completing a simple slant to him was an adventure. He was never going to win any contested balls. IMO he was a lesser version of Donnie Avery.

I will be the first to admit that Quick needs to take the next step. But there are a multitude of reasons why he hasn't had more success. But unlike Givens, I have seen the potential to be a complete WR from the day he showed up. I just don't think there is any comparison between the two.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I agree t
Very true.

One thing to consider, however, is that once Gurley gets going facing a nickel D might be the goal.

Cook's window is shrinking IMO. Doesn't matter how good a matchup you are if you cannot be trusted to execute in the crunch.

I think Bailey in the slot would greatly benefit this offense. It also might benefit Cook to watch from the bench. Might lead to him working on his game and better focus when they do trot him out there.
I agree that Cook needs take advantage of the mismatches.. He had ONE drop in the Pittsburgh game. But the perception is he drops a whole lot more balls than he does. I also think that people want him to be something he is never going to be. He was not brought here to be a traditional inline blocking TE.

Just seems to me that Cook takes an awful lot of criticism when he is not close to being the biggest issue on this offense. It's been three games with a QB who is not nearly as accurate as he needs to be. Again, IMHO, he isn't comfortable in his reads, and is not getting the ball out "on time". But he gets a pass from most fans because he's not Bradford.

Before its all said and done, I will venture to bet that Jared Cook has more of a positive impact on this offense than Bailey.

RedRam

Pro Bowler
I assume they're minor non-displaced fractures, not actual breaks. The sort that can heal rapidly enough that the pain ends, and that can be protected with padding or something to greatly reduce the chance of further injury once they've healed a bit.
Agreed. If they're non-displaced fractures Smith can play. It's mostly pain tolerance and he'll have access to "help" with that. It'll be up to Smith if he plays, providing the docs clear him to play.

Will it be "street football" in the Ravens' huddle? Flacco pointing to Givens, "You go long!"

Force16X

anti pedestrian
Rams On Demand Sponsor

A 7th aye.

I guess it's better than a kick in the head.

hard to haggle when what you're selling isnt all that. a #4 or 5 receiver on basically the worst offense in the league. ravens must need a deep threat or have an injury. maybe he'll return kicks.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
Brian Quick is a much better receiver than Givens on his worst day. The route tree, the physical skill set and overall athleticism isn't even close. Givens was the epitome of a one trick pony, and was easily taken away by simply rolling a safety over the top. From the day he got here, he showed a hesitation to go over the middle. Completing a simple slant to him was an adventure. He was never going to win any contested balls. IMO he was a lesser version of Donnie Avery.

I will be the first to admit that Quick needs to take the next step. But there are a multitude of reasons why he hasn't had more success. But unlike Givens, I have seen the potential to be a complete WR from the day he showed up. I just don't think there is any comparison between the two.

Well, I guess will see how effective that one trick is now that he's in an offense that needs a deep threat and has a QB who will throw it to him.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Well, I guess will see how effective that one trick is now that he's in an offense that needs a deep threat and has a QB who will throw it to him.
And, it will be irrelevant now. I wish him the best. We wanted Quick and Bailey, let's see what they can do moving forward, they are our guys.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
Well, there goes our only chance to score. The deep ball to Givens. I'd use blue font, except for the fact that I really don't see us scoring much without him.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I agree t

I agree that Cook needs take advantage of the mismatches.. He had ONE drop in the Pittsburgh game. But the perception is he drops a whole lot more balls than he does. I also think that people want him to be something he is never going to be. He was not brought here to be a traditional inline blocking TE.

Just seems to me that Cook takes an awful lot of criticism when he is not close to being the biggest issue on this offense. It's been three games with a QB who is not nearly as accurate as he needs to be. Again, IMHO, he isn't comfortable in his reads, and is not getting the ball out "on time". But he gets a pass from most fans because he's not Bradford.

Before its all said and done, I will venture to bet that Jared Cook has more of a positive impact on this offense than Bailey.

I think that most are worried about Foles but willing to give him time. However Cook has been around long enough that we see who he is. A guy that can dominate a game and a guy who can disappear. Maybe we should be happy to take the good with the bad but knowing his ability and seeing the inconsistency gets a lot of fans pissed off. I understand what Cook brings but the body language on the sideline and the critical drops are very frustrating. I don't blame people for being down on him after a few bad games.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Outstanding response, Angry!

Isn't it refreshing to see how the facts can sweep away the perception cobwebs? Well done, man.

Yep, anyone know who Jake Bequette is? He was drafted one round earlier than Givens in 2012. Drafted by the masters of the draft, the Patriots.

maybe this will jog some memories.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jake_Bequette
Just shows every team have busts so to speak in the 1st 4 rounds. Eagles cut Jaylen Watkins in camp this year, their 4th rounder last year.

Last edited:

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave

Seems like a safe bet seeing as how this entire offense worked all offseason at making Cook a featured performer.

I like Cooks skill set. But I think he is a lot like Givens in that he does his one thing well and is either inconsistent or uninterested in doing the other things necessary to take the next step.
He doesn't get a pass from me just because he is big and fast, just like Givens didn't get a pass for running go routes and catching in stride.

This offense needs consistency. I'll take a less dynamic player who will throw a block, make a catch and line up properly over an inconsistent player with the potential to create mismatches.

Also, I liked Bradford a lot. I'm not sold on Foles yet.. he needs to play better.

I've noticed that people are really fast to throw blanket statements around lately. "If I don't agree with (A) then I must also believe (B)."
I hate that kind of crap in politics and I'm not fond of it in sports discussion either.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Yo
You're assuming he actually gets on the field in Baltimore. He couldn't accomplish that here. And that's with statistically the worst offense in the league.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
Its kind of a shame. Givens was productive 2012 and 2013 whilst Bradford was here and healthy and we could get that deep ball working to him. But he was a one trick pony. That deep ball threat was pretty much all he brought - but we haven't seen enough of him with a competent QB for him. I don't know how much he'll get on the field in Baltimore to be honest but hope it works out for him. Maybe we can turn that conditional 6th into a higher pick come draft time.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
His usual one big play a week will be missed. He was misused here 100%. Why we didn't unleash him over the top in the last two games when we needed him most baffles me still. I hope he leaves and does well elsewhere.

Because he's not good enough to get enough snaps to wait for a situation to unleash him over the top. You can't throw the deep ball against any defense. You have to wait for the defense to give you a play where you can go deep.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Because he's not good enough to get enough snaps to wait for a situation to unleash him over the top. You can't throw the deep ball against any defense. You have to wait for the defense to give you a play where you can go deep.
If we could improve our run blocking, play action would be a nice addition.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
I'll be happy to see us not use him on those jet sweeps. . . he just doesn't have the quickness to set the edge and turn up field. He's a straight line speed type of guy.

At the same time I hope that doesn't mean we start having Britt or Quick run those sweeps. I'd much rather have Bailey, he's shown good ability to get the yards available.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

i think why people, myself included, are frustrated with him is due to his sloppy play overall. drops of easy passes thrown his way, indifference to blocking no matter the situation, the false start last week when he wasn't anywhere near where the play was going (what was his hurry?), general demeanor. stuff like that.