Rams trade Givens

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BriansRams

"Rams next Superbowl is 2023 season." - (Oct 2022)
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
Apparently my podcasts are the kiss of death. Whenever I talk a guy up, he ends up off the team.
Stay tuned for my next podcast where I speak in depth about the awesomeness of Jared Cook.

That is funny! :) I agree fully.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
As to this ^ point, someone else is still going to have to go because Watts hasn't come back yet! I am wondering who!

I don't think they've added anybody - whoever they added would just have been inactive for the Cardinals game anyway, with too little time to prepare. So unless I'm mistaken (and I've been wrong before :whistle: ) they still have a roster spot open for Watts. They just did it a few days early, because that was when the offer for getting something for the player they would have cut came.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I don't think they've added anybody - whoever they added would just have been inactive for the Cardinals game anyway, with too little time to prepare. So unless I'm mistaken (and I've been wrong before :whistle: ) they still have a roster spot open for Watts. They just did it a few days early, because that was when the offer for getting something for the player they would have cut came.
I was under the impression they brought Christian Bryant up.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
But, despite all the talk about Cook and the WRs (yes there's room for improvement), I still wonder about Foles during plays when his first read isn't there.

Not completely sold on Foles either. Maybe he gets better as the season goes and he is more familiar with the offense.

I just rewatched the Steelers game...damn we were close. Austin and Britt were very good. Mason has some nice runs called back. Foles missed only a couple, but they were important. Hekker fails for the first time. I saw a Gurley play where the Steelers did everything right but the Rams o-line DID make a hole for him, closed by good D LB play, then Robinson or Brown literally landed on his man and Gurley was one cut from making a big play in that direction.

The Rams seem to be trying more zone blocking than many expected. That run with Gurley looked like a typical zone blocking cut back against the seem move. Was he told to do that? I think you are right that if he just stayed with the blocking he had a nice hole open up.

Did Gurley do a lot of cut back runs in college? Does Georgia use a zone blocking scheme? I know it can be very affective. That is why Shanahan always seemed to have a good running game and Eric Dickerson was great at the cut back. Is Gurley the reason for more zone blocking, despite not having a typical zone blocking Oline?

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Gurley, Mason, and Cunningham are going nowhere for Watts. If that's the question, 100% it's Watts IMHO.
Misunderstood me. They are all safe. Number 54......should be a TV series.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not completely sold on Foles either. Maybe he gets better as the season goes and he is more familiar with the offense.

The Rams seem to be trying more zone blocking than many expected. That run with Gurley looked like a typical zone blocking cut back against the seem move. Was he told to do that? I think you are right that if he just stayed with the blocking he had a nice hole open up.

Did Gurley do a lot of cut back runs in college? Does Georgia use a zone blocking scheme? I know it can be very affective. That is why Shanahan always seemed to have a good running game and Eric Dickerson was great at the cut back. Is Gurley the reason for more zone blocking, despite not having a typical zone blocking Oline?

Georgia had some zone in their playbook but they were almost entirely a power team. Shanahan had a consistently good running game because his system is super effective. But we're not running that system. We're not using all the chop blocks that are typical of that system.

Pho Kadat

Rookie
Too many guys, it was weighing the team down. Now that the team is lighter, the run game will be better as a result. Science.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
His overall drop % is not bad. In fact it was better than Bailey's last year if I recall. His lack of willingness to block IMO is grossly blown out of proportion. He is NOT, nor was he brought here to be, a conventional inline TE. I am not saying he is the prototype, perfect player for this team. But I think he is quickly becoming the new "whipping boy" of a struggling offense. There are far too many other issues on
this offense to call out Cook as the main culprit.

For me the issue isn't who the main culprit is. I care about effort more than anything. Block with tenacity. Don't make silly mistakes. Execute your routes. Don't give up on plays. Don't drop too many passes (because drops happen).

Cook's effort consistently pisses me off. I don't care if you're great at blocking. Act like you care. Cook makes a mistake or doesn't have something go his way early and then spends the rest of the game pouting and giving a shitty effort. It's infuriating to see a guy with that much ability half-ass it so often.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Cook's effort consistently pisses me off. I don't care if you're great at blocking. Act like you care. Cook makes a mistake or doesn't have something go his way early and then spends the rest of the game pouting and giving a crappy effort. It's infuriating to see a guy with that much ability half-ass it so often.

I have always been a Cook fan, although overpaid, but I spoke with him one on one when he didn't see me coming for a few moments.

He was very polite. I think from that minute I agree with you. No bravado or confidence. He was just as we know him from TV, surprised to be talked to, reluctant, very nice, wants to get away. Everyone else that day was aggressively calm and up to be seen and talked too.

My god what I wouldn't go back and develop my talent to be like him. However, that dude CAN kick ass.

In the end, no way he gets paid by the Rams again unless he explodes OFTEN and not twice a season.

jap

Legend
Quick was very, very, close to emerging as a #1 receiver when he got hurt. Even with a crap QB. We'll see what player he is tomorrow coming back, but I imagine he won't be featured that much anyway. A few big catches could go a long way though. Again we'll see. This injury could big a major setback for his development. Just have to pray not.

This game, at least the early part, should be about getting used to being hit by enemy fire again. He has to climb over the same psychological hurdle that the Gurley man had to face last week. I am looking for Gurley to start to extend his role as the feature player today while Quickie gets readjusted. Once Gurley or Quickie become dominant, the defenders are gonna be forced to relax their coverage on Tavon, and then he will get his opportunities to strut his stuff.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
The missing piece on this team, especially with having a QB like Foles, is having a beast TE like Travis Kelcie. A TE that is a complete player and plays with an edge. Of course that is assuming the OL and the run game come together.

Sure, a #1 WR is also a need or a nice to have, but run the ball and have a reliable big play TE is enough with the WRs we have, to put 20-24 points on the board and they can win a lot of games doing that with this defense.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack

I didn't get it at first either. Then I assumed his answer was going to be "Givens leaving means Quick gets on the field and he's our best run blocking receiver"

ram007

Starter

I just rewatched the Steelers game...damn we were close. Austin and Britt were very good. Mason has some nice runs called back. Foles missed only a couple, but they were important. Hekker fails for the first time. I saw a Gurley play where the Steelers did everything right but the Rams o-line DID make a hole for him, closed by good D LB play, then Robinson or Brown literally landed on his man and Gurley was one cut from making a big play in that direction.

Do you think we see Quick this week? A healthy dose of Gurley?

Is it a long way to say So everyone screwed up on offense last Sunday?

They will overcome it starting today. wish and hope

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
Because we scored a whole heck of a lot with him?
I was referring to preseason this year, it looked like the only way we could get into the endzone is by a 60 yard bomb to Givens. And regular season comes, and we don't even put him on the field after he was our best WR in preseason.

Oldgeek

I'm old and can't wait another 20 years for a SB W
Name
Steve
Rams need the WRs and TEs to step up and start catching the ball. Foles gets the ball close enough to be caught most of the time. To me, anytime you trade a 4th round draft pick for a 7th rounder, it is a loss.

FrankenRam

Starter
Getting plenty of targets sound like he is a good player. If he is good for another team then why is he not OK here?

I am all for replacing Cook. But I guess his few big games a year and no blocking are OK unlike Givens one big play a game that results in a TD.
Givens has actually done well when targeted and he looked very good in preseason and when he had a chance in the regular season.

Am I the only person at a complete lose as to the direction this team is trying to go?

"...one play a game that results in a TD.'

Huh?!?!?!? He's got 4 td's in 3+ yr. And 3 of those were in his rookie season. I don't see how that even remotely equates to a td a game.

FrankenRam

Starter
As far as Givens..... It apparently doesn't mean a thing to have flashes in the preseason performing against 3rd unit defenders who aren't in the league any more. They guy hasn't developed a lick since his "5 games of fame" his rookie year. And if you take away those 5 plays, he wasn't all that productive even in that season.

It seems pretty obvious to me anyway, that as soon as Quick got back in the mix, Givens became expendable.

Thank you.

Looks like CG is the new Isaiah Pead. All that 'talent'....wasted by this piss poor coaching staff.:rolleyes: