Rams trade Givens

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
i think why people, myself included, are frustrated with him is due to his sloppy play overall. drops of easy passes thrown his way, indifference to blocking no matter the situation, the false start last week when he wasn't anywhere near where the play was going (what was his hurry?), general demeanor. stuff like that.

His overall drop % is not bad. In fact it was better than Bailey's last year if I recall. His lack of willingness to block IMO is grossly blown out of proportion. He is NOT, nor was he brought here to be, a conventional inline TE. I am not saying he is the prototype, perfect player for this team. But I think he is quickly becoming the new "whipping boy" of a struggling offense. There are far too many other issues on
this offense to call out Cook as the main culprit.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Brian Quick is a much better receiver than Givens on his worst day. The route tree, the physical skill set and overall athleticism isn't even close. Givens was the epitome of a one trick pony, and was easily taken away by simply rolling a safety over the top. From the day he got here, he showed a hesitation to go over the middle. Completing a simple slant to him was an adventure. He was never going to win any contested balls. IMO he was a lesser version of Donnie Avery.

I will be the first to admit that Quick needs to take the next step. But there are a multitude of reasons why he hasn't had more success. But unlike Givens, I have seen the potential to be a complete WR from the day he showed up. I just don't think there is any comparison between the two.
I didn't say there was a comparison to be made. I simply asked what it would look like if you took away Quick's 5 biggest plays (like you did with Givens). I think you'll come away with the understanding that we simply don't have a legit wide receiver (See: Isaac Bruce, Andre Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald, etc) on the team right now (regardless of the reasons).

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
His overall drop % is not bad. In fact it was better than Bailey's last year if I recall. His lack of willingness to block IMO is grossly blown out of proportion. He is NOT, nor was he brought here to be, a conventional inline TE. I am not saying he is the prototype, perfect player for this team. But I think he is quickly becoming the new "whipping boy" of a struggling offense. There are far too many other issues on

I agree with this. He makes himself an easy target but production is king - he jointly leads this team on receptions with Kenny Britt so far this year and people want us to cut him?

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Anything that gets Quick on the field is a plus in my book...As far as these comparisons, there really are none. Quick & Britt have shown me they belong on the field 85-95% of the time...Period...all this hype about little slot-types, and they can't even consistently "win" at the LOS.....Waste of time IMO....Get Quick, Britt, and Cook on the damn field, watch all the offensive problems magically disappear....

FRO

Legend
The question about Quick is if last year was a flash in the pan or if that was him coming into his own. Also have to worry about that shoulder. Hope he is that guy we saw last year. If now we are going to be hurting.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
The question about Quick is if last year was a flash in the pan or if that was him coming into his own. Also have to worry about that shoulder. Hope he is that guy we saw last year. If now we are going to be hurting.

What encourages me about Quick... He's got a QB that can put the ball down field. It opens up more of the field for Quick, something he didn't have last year during his hot start.

FRO

Legend
What encourages me about Quick... He's got a QB that can put the ball down field. It opens up more of the field for Quick, something he didn't have last year during his hot start.
I'm hoping you're right.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
Well, there goes our only chance to score. The deep ball to Givens. I'd use blue font, except for the fact that I really don't see us scoring much without him.
Ah yes, he of the 4 career touchdowns. It will be telling to see how much further this offense will tailspin without his contributions.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
I am all for replacing Cook. But I guess his few big games a year and no blocking are OK unlike Givens one big play a game that results in a TD.
Givens has actually done well when targeted and he looked very good in preseason and when he had a chance in the regular season.

You're kidding with this right? Cook had as many receptions, yards and TDs last year as Givens' past two seasons combined. Losing sucks, I get it. But don't delude yourself into thinking Cook is the one costing this team games.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
Lol. Its a "conditional 2018 7th round pick". At least we got something I suppose!

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
Quick was very, very, close to emerging as a #1 receiver when he got hurt. Even with a shit Qb. We'll see what player he is tomorrow coming back, but I imagine he won't be featured that much anyway. A few big catches could go a long way though. Again we'll see. This injury could big a major setback for his development. Just have to pray not.

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
I expect some flash plays from him in Baltimore. He has the speed and Flacco has the arm to hit him deep.

I like it for both sides.
I'm with you, Mr. Hicks! Flacco has the arm that a f;ier like Givens can use to their benefit. Good luck Mr. Givens!

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I'm with you, Mr. Hicks! Flacco has the arm that a f;ier like Givens can use to their benefit. Good luck Mr. Givens!

Strongest arm in the league. For Givens, it's the perfect spot.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Yeah, Givens could be Flacco's Torry Smith type one-trick pony.

But, despite all the talk about Cook and the WRs (yes there's room for improvement), I still wonder about Foles during plays when his first read isn't there.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
As to this ^ point, someone else is still going to have to go because Watts hasn't come back yet! I am wondering who!
We have, Benny, Gurley, and Tre. Maybe, it's a wait and see thing, and possibly another messege.

Worst mistake.....goes.

RamzFanz

Damnit

First, I want to say I'm glad to see more Coach O comments. I've missed your observations since TC.

A couple of things...I really believed Pead would have a decent season especially with the chance to entrench himself early. That fumble was like the very worst timing to be hit by the entire Seahawks secondary at once.

Cook is that dude I hate to love some games and love to hate others. He was killing TC and now...I don't know. And that drop last game just pisses me off. He's so damned talented and could be killing teams but almost none of the seam work we saw him destroying and then that drop.

My standing with Cook is you go to him in good times, when you can take a drop, and never when it's a must not drop. It's not his % as much as his timing. I think he gets nervous on the must catch passes. Unless he becomes more clutch, I see a cap casualty.

I just rewatched the Steelers game...damn we were close. Austin and Britt were very good. Mason has some nice runs called back. Foles missed only a couple, but they were important. Hekker fails for the first time. I saw a Gurley play where the Steelers did everything right but the Rams o-line DID make a hole for him, closed by good D LB play, then Robinson or Brown literally landed on his man and Gurley was one cut from making a big play in that direction.

Do you think we see Quick this week? A healthy dose of Gurley?

RamzFanz

Damnit
We have, Benny, Gurley, and Tre. Maybe, it's a wait and see thing, and possibly another messege.

Worst mistake.....goes.

Gurley, Mason, and Cunningham are going nowhere for Watts. If that's the question, 100% it's Watts IMHO.