Rams trade Givens

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
As to the OC, if Cigs doesn't work out the prob is none will want to sign on with a defensive head coach who just finished his fourth season with another poor offense. So my hope is Cigs starts to show what he can do with more games like Seattle in the next month. I still think there's a chance he's the right guy for the job, got my fingers crossed there.

I disagree without opening up old wounds IMO the relocation had more to do with lack of candidates than Fisher being a defensive Head Coach other defensive Head Coaches land good coordinators like Tomlin and Mike Zimmer of Minnesota for example, it comes down to opportunity.

Next year there will be coaches needing a job and hopefully the relocation issue will be resolved, IMO, you'll have people like Joe Philbin and a plethora of others available and you could always go the college route too.

IMO, if the Ram offense does not turn it around there will be major changes with OC, OL, WR coaches not having their contract renewed or fired. They most likely keep the likes of Weinke, Garcia, RB Coach Ben Sirmans and maybe Rob Boras who will go back to TE Coach only, however, major changes and IMO that OC will have some type of control so Fisher does not handcuff him accordingly.

Last edited:

Athos

Legend
I'd say the Rams got decent value for a 4th round pick w Givens - especially now that they get a 7th on his way out the door.

Sure, there are 4th round (and later) gems out there but most guys picked after him that year aren't even in the league now.

I get that, but 2012 just seems so mistake riddled now from a draft standpoint. Snead got cute with trades and we passed on Jeffery, Kendricks, Wagner, David, Randle, Hilton as the guy they wanted Givens to be.

Anyway, that's just the problem inherently with trading down wildly. Gonna pass on elite talent. But it's been done for several years.

I just think the Rams need guys who can actually find offensive talent going forward. That unit is still too weak.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Apparently my podcasts are the kiss of death. Whenever I talk a guy up, he ends up off the team.
Stay tuned for my next podcast where I speak in depth about the awesomeness of Jared Cook.

Instead of Cook, focus on James Laurinaitis...IMO, it's time to get a true thumper in the middle!

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What were they supposed to get for a WR that hasn't produced and was at the bottom of a depth chart that isn't exactly stocked with talent. Not to mention he's a free agent after this season...

Rams did well getting a 7th.

7th round in 2017 . As desperate as the Ravens were , we could have done better . JMO

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
It's amazing sometimes to watch this fan base .... (Not here, of course, you guys all rock - but in general)

"Cut Givens!!! Cut him!!!!

(The Rams have traded Chris Givens for a 7th rounder)

A 7th?? That's it!? That was Chris friggen Givens and all you got for him was a 7th?!?"
You're not lying, on the Rams subreddit everybody and their mom took every chances to take potshots at Givens and how he sucks and shouldn't even be in football anymore and now that he's gone he should have been at least worth a 4th or 3rd rounder.

RedRam

Pro Bowler
;)
What? The phone is being a PITA. Anyway...

Good for Givens! He'll get a chance to show whether or not he belongs in the NFL. A better chance than sitting on the sideline watching the sinkhole that is the Rams' offense currently.

Best of luck to you Chris!

Last edited:

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
7th round in 2017 . As desperate as the Ravens were , we could have done better . JMO
Because there are no other options for them to look at in the middling soon to be cut wide receivers that can only run 1 route market? Rams get to greedy we get nothing from Ravens and he still gets cut why can't people understand that?
Givens had a good 1st year as a deep threat who as defenses figured out that was his only trick he became below avg every year since. Say what you will misused over trained if there is such a thing he never truly shined in the NFL. I don't see it happening in bmore either.

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
He wasn't gonna be resigned anyway. Maybe he can catch a few deep balls for Flacco. He has great speed and poor agility and goes down easy. If you can get him untouched deep he can be dangerous. Guy hasn't scored since his rookie year I believe. I'm glad they got anything for him.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Good move for the Ravens. They have missed Torry Smith & now have Steve Smith injured. I would not be surprise Givens moves into the line up real soon.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I get that, but 2012 just seems so mistake riddled now from a draft standpoint. Snead got cute with trades and we passed on Jeffery, Kendricks, Wagner, David, Randle, Hilton as the guy they wanted Givens to be.

Anyway, that's just the problem inherently with trading down wildly. Gonna pass on elite talent. But it's been done for several years.

I just think the Rams need guys who can actually find offensive talent going forward. That unit is still too weak.

Nope.

Michael Brockers
Janoris Jenkins
Trumaine Johnson
Greg Zuerlein

3 starters and a kicker, who has almost always come through.

Throw in UDFAs like Rodney McCleod, Johnny Hekker, and Cory Harkey, and it's not bad at all.

Sure as hell not "mistake riddled".

And if Brian Quick ends up doing something? One of the better drafts that year in the league.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
I don't really like it. No matter your feelings on him his talent is more than a 7th round worth.
It's too bad, he started off so well with us.

Oh well, is what it is.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
And I'm not sure Marquez offers anything more than being a great special team player and one thing that Jeff Fisher is not able to do IMHO is recognizes game changers on the offensive side of the ball, he really needs a high profile offensive coordinator and needs to give that man total autonomy.
Like a certain x rams OC, Mike M----!?! I WISH!!(y):D

PA Ram

Pro Bowler
My guess is Givens was getting waived anyway. They probably tried to trade Pead but had no takers. They just figured if the Ravens wanted to give them a 7th for a guy they were cutting, they'd take it.

Or...maybe they're high on a possible 7th rounder in the 2017 draft.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
My first felling was "traded for a 7th?" wtf...But then, I am not sure if anyone on the Offense is worth a d@mn anymore...This is the year for with Fisher, who I have supported since day one....However, if we finish below .500 again, I say we clean him and his high priced coaching staff, out the door......I am so tired of losing, DAMMIT! :wtf:

ram007

Starter
Another draft pick for a discardee at the end of season. R u kidding? Like Snead more and more as a GM

If Givens is worth a 7th rounder what can Rams get for Austin? I think 2 first rounders at the minimum. Woww!!

FRO

Legend
What grade do you give the 2012 draft now? I would give it a C. Brockers, Jenkins, and Trumaine are nice players. I think the failure of the second round knocks the draft down though. Thought Givens was going to be a good #2 type of WR after his rookie year. He could never expand his game though.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
What grade do you give the 2012 draft now? I would give it a C. Brockers, Jenkins, and Trumaine are nice players. I think the failure of the second round knocks the draft down though. Thought Givens was going to be a good #2 type of WR after his rookie year. He could never expand his game though.

Agree the Snead/Fisher first Ram draft is not that special after all. Good chance only one or two will still be here in 2016 season. Fisher has lost 3 of the seven 2013 draft class this year thus far too (Jones/McGee & Stacy).

SuperMan28

Hall of Fame
Tre Watts is eligible to play... next week. Guess they couldn't wait a day.

Tre Watts will get the spot of Givens. He is a better player. And for all those who are dismayed with the 7th round pick, Watts was an UDFA along with Westbrooks and Roberson.

The draft truly is a crap shoot. Snead has missed some high picks, but he's hit home runs late. Givens was looking like a home run early but just got phased out by players with broader skill sets. That's really about it.