Rams trade Givens

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

JoeBo21

Hall of Fame
ehh don't like it. 7th isn't gonna get us shit

wish him the best in Baltimore except in week 11

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
ehh don't like it. 7th isn't gonna get us crap

wish him the best in Baltimore except in week 11

Teams don't trade draft picks easily. Why would we assume Givens, a pending FA, is worth any more than that?

Besides; this regime has a stout reputation finding role players in the UDFA market. A 7th is the equivalent of securing one of those.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I agree with most that the Ravens will target Givens more, but I'm tired of reading posts about being misused in the Ram offense basically every player is being misused because the Rams don't have an offense.

Now there is a roster spot available and I don't know if they will quickly bring back McGee which they should because five WR's should be just fine. Overall I expect Givens to have some type of impact, but is it a conditional or a 7th round selection? Unless it's a conditional 7th if he stays on the team and considering Givens is in the last year of his contract that the best they could hope for IMHO.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Didn't he take a pay cut at the beginning of the season?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
What is kinda ironic with this move is Givens might be ready to show something. The guy did come in to this camp and preseason on a mission of sorts. Too little too late for this team though, so I get it. Rams are gonna go forward with other and probably better options.

Really he got beat out by Marquez, just no room on the bottom of a positional depth chart for a guy who isn't an impact teams player.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I can see this being a good match. Flacco will find Givens deep....lots. Hope this doesn't burn us in week 11. Wish CG the best other than that game.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Really he got beat out by Marquez, just no room on the bottom of a positional depth chart for a guy who isn't an impact teams player.

And I'm not sure Marquez offers anything more than being a great special team player and one thing that Jeff Fisher is not able to do IMHO is recognizes game changers on the offensive side of the ball, he really needs a high profile offensive coordinator and needs to give that man total autonomy.

Athos

Legend
Flacco probably has the best deep ball in the league. With their pick, Perriman, injured, makes sense for them. Just run him a 9 like they did with T. Smith all the time.

I never he could never translate much to the actual field. Sloppy route running.

So that makes Givens and Pead as two early round Offensive guys this team either cannot develop or didn't look at well enough.

Disappointing to say the least how bad this team drafts offensive players.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
Let's not delude ourselves like Givens has done anything since his rookie year. He's been an expected camp cut for the last two years, and now that he's gone he was misused and the Ravens are getting off cheap?

He was a one trick pony that didn't really have a role on this team. Maybe he can fill that Torry Smith role in Baltimore, but I have my doubts.

I don't want my Givens criticism to be too scathing, but he's been just a guy on this roster. We need some play makers to step up.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Basically they got nothing for him then . Typical

No - they got something for him.

Which is atypical.

We are talking about a guy who is a free agent at the end of the season who was scarcely going to dress for this team.

This thread could (and would) have been "Rams Cut Givens to make room for Watts"

But instead, they got something.

Stl2La

Hall of Fame
Basically they got nothing for him then . Typical

What were they supposed to get for a WR that hasn't produced and was at the bottom of a depth chart that isn't exactly stocked with talent. Not to mention he's a free agent after this season...

Rams did well getting a 7th.

V3

Hall of Fame
Not sure how I feel about this. It's not like I expected to get a lot more for him. I just felt he was completely misused here and will be worth so much more for the Ravens. Givens isn't the type of WR that you give a bunch of complex routes and responsibilities to. I'm not saying I expect him to go nuts in BAL but I do think he'll be much more productive there. The Rams offense is very frustrating to watch.

jap

Legend
I wonder if this confirms the idea that the Horns plan to go downtown to Tavon more. He is, after all, faster than Chris Givens and more efficient at taking the roof off the defense. Quickie and Kenny are good downfield targets as well.

I have been wondering what the hell is going on with Sted, who seems to have mostly disappeared the last two weekends. we need to work him in more as he should be dangerous all over the route tree.

V3

Hall of Fame
No - they got something for him.

Which is atypical.

We are talking about a guy who is a free agent at the end of the season who was scarcely going to dress for this team.

This thread could (and would) have been "Rams Cut Givens to make room for Watts"

But instead, they got something.
Are they really planning on keeping four RBs on the roster? That seems like overkill to me, especially since we just spent a top 10 pick on one that should eventually be the bell cow.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
And I'm not sure Marquez offers anything more than being a great special team player and one thing that Jeff Fisher is not able to do IMHO is recognizes game changers on the offensive side of the ball, he really needs a high profile offensive coordinator and needs to give that man total autonomy.

Yeah I cannot disagree on him not being able to recognize game changers on offense, outside of maybe the RB position. I think he and the team would be better off with Snead and his scouts picking his offensive players. Just lay off with his input and let those guys stack the type of guys who fit.

As to the OC, if Cigs doesn't work out the prob is none will want to sign on with a defensive head coach who just finished his fourth season with another poor offense. So my hope is Cigs starts to show what he can do with more games like Seattle in the next month. I still think there's a chance he's the right guy for the job, got my fingers crossed there.

RamBill

Legend
With Brian Quick back, Chris Givens trade makes sense for all sides
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...-chris-givens-trade-makes-sense-for-all-sides

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- The St. Louis Rams traded wide receiver Chris Givens to the Baltimore Ravens for a seventh-round draft pick in 2017, ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter reported Saturday morning.

It was far from an earth-shattering move considering Givens was the Rams' fourth receiver and had only played 42 snaps in the first three weeks. The Rams have an open roster spot that will likely be filled Monday when running back Trey Watts is eligible to return from a four-game suspension. It's expected that he will land back on the 53-man roster at that time.

But it was a logical move for the Rams, Givens and the Ravens. Here's why:

Why it makes sense for the Rams: Coach Jeff Fisher made it clear Friday that receiver Brian Quick would be active Sunday in Arizona for the first time this season. With Quick up, it was unlikely the Rams would keep six wideouts on the game-day roster. And the assumption is that Quick's role will only increase moving forward. Since Stedman Bailey and Bradley Marquez are core special teams players, that made Givens the odd man out. The Rams simply don't use a lot of three-plus receiver sets and Givens was viewed as more of a deep threat and occasional gadget player. Since Givens is in his contract year, it made sense now to get something for him while they still could.

Why it makes sense for Givens: Put simply, this is an important year for Givens, who is still seeking the consistency to prove he's worthy of his next contract. It's also been a difficult year for him as he has grieved the loss of a close friend and again found himself mostly out of the week-to-week game plan save for the occasional touch here and there. In the Rams' offense, Givens was mostly lost in the shuffle despite flashing big-play ability. But now he gets a fresh start in a place that could utilize his greatest skill: deep speed. With Joe Flacco at quarterback for the Ravens, Givens should get his share of deep shots and get plenty of playing time to prove he belongs.

Why it makes sense for the Ravens: Baltimore is banged up at wide receiver with rookie Breshad Perriman (knee), Steve Smith (back) and Michael Campanaro (back) all dealing with varying degrees of injury. Campanaro has already landed on injured reserve and Perriman and Smith are essentially week-to-week propositions. Givens offers an immediate influx of speed and fits in well with Flacco's ability to throw it deep. The Ravens let Torrey Smith go in free agency, and though Givens is by no means at Torrey Smith's level in terms of production, he offers a similar skill set when it comes to going deep. With 12 games to go in the season, Givens should get plenty of chances to show the Ravens what he can do.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...teve-smith-has-four-broken-bones-in-his-back/

Report: Steve Smith has four broken bones in his back
Posted by Darin Gantt on October 3, 2015

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznptmzyzhlzwy2ntmznwfiyjbhyjnmowfiyjczmdhiymjj.jpeg
AP

There’s a reason the Ravens traded for receiving depth, and there was a reason Steve Smith was so angry the other night.

According to Chick Hernandez of CSN Mid Atlantic, the veteran wide receiver has four broken bones in his back, and the team is going to consider him day-to-day for the moment.

While the exact nature of the injury is not known, it’s clear Smith was in considerable pain the other night. He’s been able to survive being a little fella in a big man’s game by being one of the toughest players in the league, but he was incapacitated Thursday night.

Trading for Chris Givens today filled an immediate need, after putting another wide receiver (Michael Campanaro) on injured reserve today.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Are they really planning on keeping four RBs on the roster? That seems like overkill to me, especially since we just spent a top 10 pick on one that should eventually be the bell cow.

5 if you count Chase.

Trey, Bennie, and Chase all play STs - and all play them well.

So yes, they keep all 5.

And not only that - Trey may get some snaps here and there. He can play.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Flacco probably has the best deep ball in the league. With their pick, Perriman, injured, makes sense for them. Just run him a 9 like they did with T. Smith all the time.

I never he could never translate much to the actual field. Sloppy route running.

So that makes Givens and Pead as two early round Offensive guys this team either cannot develop or didn't look at well enough.

Disappointing to say the least how bad this team drafts offensive players.

I'd say the Rams got decent value for a 4th round pick w Givens - especially now that they get a 7th on his way out the door.

Sure, there are 4th round (and later) gems out there but most guys picked after him that year aren't even in the league now.

fancents86

Starter
I don't like this at all. I've always been a Givens fan even though he had some bumps along the way from what he describes as overtraining, which I believe considering he was doing good in preseason. He's gonna light it up in Baltimore. It's a shame we couldn't exploit his talents here, which is extremely frustrating.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
ezgif.com-optimize.gif

Apparently my podcasts are the kiss of death. Whenever I talk a guy up, he ends up off the team.
Stay tuned for my next podcast where I speak in depth about the awesomeness of Jared Cook.