Rams interested in DT Nick Fairley? (Update: Apparently so)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
Just mentioned this on another thread, so good I gotta post it again: what about a package w/ Quinn, Donald, Brockers, Fairley & C. Long coming at ya', w/ Tree & Akeem bringing up the rear? Awesome 4th down & long game ending package!!!

Irish

Starter
This might be a really stupid suggestion but if Fairley is signing here, what is stopping the Rams from running a 5-2? Having Long-Brockers-Donald-Fairley-Quinn with JL and Tree lined up hat on hat is ridiculous. Easy to run a Tampa 2 out of a 5-2, and you can easily run cover 3 out of it as well. With the Rams not being very good at man coverage, it seems like this could actually work.

Ky Ram

Pro Bowler
This might be a really stupid suggestion but if Fairley is signing here, what is stopping the Rams from running a 5-2? Having Long-Brockers-Donald-Fairley-Quinn with JL and Tree lined up hat on hat is ridiculous. Easy to run a Tampa 2 out of a 5-2, and you can easily run cover 3 out of it as well. With the Rams not being very good at man coverage, it seems like this could actually work.
Does Williams have a past running that kind of D? I think it would be better to have a beast like Fairley rotating in, but this package might work too.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
Does Williams have a past running that kind of D? I think it would be better to have a beast like Fairley rotating in, but this package might work too.
If you can think of it, Williams has probable done it. :ROFLMAO:

The D is set now. Depth on the line, solid LBs, improving secondary.

I haven't heard Wisniewski and Blalock signing, so let's get that done too.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2015/3/13/8208093/st-louis-rams-deal-with-dt-nick-fairley-imminent
St. Louis Rams Deal With DT Nick Fairley “Imminent"
By Brandon Bate
@NoPlanB_ on Mar 13, 2015, 9:53a 11
usa-today-8041879.0.jpg

Tim Fuller-USA TODAY Sports
The St. Louis Rams could be very close to signing free agent defensive tackle Nick Fairley
Tweet (43) Share (1)
Pin
Benjamin Allbright, the same source who first tweeted the Rams would be landing now-QB Nick Foles, is at it again. This time, he’s saying the same source that confirmed on Foles feels a deal with defensive tackle Nick Fairley is imminent.
Stay tuned!

Ky Ram

Pro Bowler
If you can think of it, Williams has probable done it. :ROFLMAO:

The D is set now. Depth on the line, solid LBs, improving secondary.

I haven't heard Wisniewski and Blalock signing, so let's get that done too.
I like how you think!

jjab360

Legend
Some of the packages we used last year were so ridiculous (i.e. McDonald and Ogletree with their hand in the dirt at DE, Quinn and Long standing up blitzing), I wouldn't put anything past Williams. I doubt we'd use a package like that full time, though.

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
What you are referring to as a "5-2" is what is known as an Oklahoma front. And it's classic 3-4 (stand up "defensive ends"). It wouldn't fly in the NFL as 5 lineman and 2 LBs except in certain situations (short yardage, goal line). Teams would dink and dunk it to death.

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
What you are referring to as a "5-2" is what is known as an Oklahoma front. And it's classic 3-4 (stand up "defensive ends"). It wouldn't fly in the NFL as 5 lineman and 2 LBs except in certain situations (short yardage, goal line). Teams would dink and dunk it to death.
I seem to recall Buddy Ryan doing this sort of non-standard box-loading type thing with good success. Tennessee had quite a feared defense at the time.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well, Fairley and Donald would give us an unreal pass rush...I'll tell you that much. Just gotta hope the money is right and that Fisher keeps Fairley motivated. We do have the best DL Coach in the league...which helps.

But we still need to get a couple OLs signed. Hopefully, Blalock is the next player on the list to sign.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Wonder if this deal gets done, if that means possibly Brockers could be traded?

I doubt it. He's on a cheap rookie contract and Fairley isn't known for being a guy that can stuff the middle like Brockers. IMO, they each would have their own role.

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
I seem to recall Buddy Ryan doing this sort of non-standard box-loading type thing with good success. Tennessee had quite a feared defense at the time.
Wasn't that before the advent of the West Coast offense, which was devised to not have to deal w/ a stacked line.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think becaus offenses would throw short passes to the spaces where that linebacker is missing.