Keenum and 1's looked sharp

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Throw the ball well. It's the preseason, after all. I've seen Keenum play in games that count.

So there is no way Keenum could play better this year?

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If that's the case wouldn't it be better to give the reps to the first overall pick, as opposed to the UDFA....

I'm sorry I just don't understand how this is even a debate. Keenum is being made into something he's not. IMO Austin Davis and Kellen Clemens ran the offense better then Keenum. Atleast they put up scores and yards. Keenum averaged less then 200 yards a game and 1 TD. Between Foles and Keenum the Rams had 11 passing TDs last year.

God's honest truth I'm really shocked by my fellow ROD'ers that everyone is so down on Goff after 2 pre-season games. I'm just not understanding what fans are expecting...
Keenum had 4 TD in 5 games (2 in 1 game)
I'd be all for the needs to sit deal if we had a QB worth sitting behind

HellRam

Starter
Keenum had 4 TD in 5 games (2 in 1 game)
I'd be all for the needs to sit deal if we had a QB worth sitting behind

That's my logic behind it as well. A bad Goff arguably isn't all that far behind Keenum. If the Rams had a proven viable vet... maybe I'd be more inclined to sit Goff. That said the Rams spent a lot to aquire Goff. The sooner Goff develop's the better off the Rams are. If Goff starts next season as opposed to this season that's a anouther whole year the Rams have to wait to be legit contenders.

FrankenRam

Starter
If that's the case wouldn't it be better to give the reps to the first overall pick, as opposed to the UDFA.......

I can only repeat.....for a coach, it's all about putting the guy out there that he believes gives him the best chance to win NOW.....not next yr, or for the next 10.

I guess it could certainly be argued that JG is that guy now and that Fisher's making a bad choice. But there seems to be a pretty unanimous consensus that's not the case.

If the last CBA hadn't so severely hamstrung the # of practices a team could have and/or how much time the coaching staff could spend with players in the offseason, they would have a lot more leeway. But it did, and they don't.

I don't think but a handful of folks think Goff is a Goof yet. Most are just basing their opinions on what they see in the time he has played and the camp reports. The coaching staff sees these guys every single day in practice. The coaches have contact with the players that helps them determine where each player is at mentally in the understanding of his job, how well the players are able to execute their job within the team's system, and other things that the armchair internet gm's don't have a clue about. Though I'm not an especially big fan of Fisher, I'd be willing to bet that if he thinks Goff isn't ready, then Goff isn't ready. And the 30-40(?) extra game reps he might be able to get between now and opening day aren't going to make a significant enough difference to allow him to become the day 1 starter.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
And lets not kid ourselves - Fisher wants him to get and be ready to start. Fisher isn't going to sit him on the bench and forget about him - he is going to try to find a balance between making sure Keenum is ready to start and win and continuing to bring Goff along.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Keenum against 1's :
DAL - 6 for 7 - 85.7 %
KC - 4 for 5 - 80.0 % - 111 combined yards passing, 0 sacks, 1 TD, 0 fumbles, 0 Int.

Goff against 2's & 3's :
DAL - 4 for 9 - 44.4 %
KC - 8 for 12 - 66.7 % - 120 combined yards, 3 sacks, 1 TD, 2 fumbles, 1 int.

HellRam

Starter
Keenum against 1's :
DAL - 6 for 7 - 85.7 %
KC - 4 for 5 - 80.0 % - 111 combined yards passing, 0 sacks, 1 TD, 0 fumbles, 0 Int.

Goff against 2's & 3's :
DAL - 4 for 9 - 44.4 %
KC - 8 for 12 - 66.7 % - 120 combined yards, 3 sacks, 1 TD, 2 fumbles, 1 int.

Here's the problem with basing who's ahead by preseason performance's. Keenum is also throwing to Tavon, Britt and Kendricks n crew. Goff is throwing to well..Quick. I mentioned this in anouther thread I believe. If we are basing who should start off performance in the preseason, then Goff needs to start a game with the 1's. IMO he should get the nod this weekend vs Denver.

Goff has also took shots downfield. The one time Keenum did the ball was severely underthrown. Pre-season stats are almost obsolete. Is Dallas gonna start Dak over Romo because he is lighting it up in the pre-season... I doubt it.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So there is no way Keenum could play better this year?

Statistically? Sure. But I think Goff offers this team a much higher ceiling. And playing him this year will help us in the future as well. Sitting Goff this year just delays his development. I could understand it if Keenum looked like a possible star. But he doesn't.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I could understand it if Keenum looked like a possible star. But he doesn't.
You're a tough guy to win over. What more could Keenum have done in his opportunities so far this preseason?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You're a tough guy to win over. What more could Keenum have done in his opportunities so far this preseason?

Be a better thrower of the football. His accuracy is underwhelming.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Be a better thrower of the football. His accuracy is underwhelming.
He only had 1 miss and was putting the ball on guys except for the under thrown deep ball. I will concede he does not have the arm strength to go over 35 unless he gets it out REAL early. Other than that he was money against the Chefs

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He only had 1 miss and was putting the ball on guys except for the under thrown deep ball. I will concede he does not have the arm strength to go over 35 unless he gets it out REAL early. Other than that he was money against the Chefs

Putting balls on guys isn't enough. There's a strike-zone. Keenum doesn't hit it with consistency. And he misses gimme throws. The deep ball was a gimme throw. Britt burnt his man. The throw to Cooper was a gimme throw.

I saw all of this from him last year too.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Putting balls on guys isn't enough. There's a strike-zone. Keenum doesn't hit it with consistency. And he misses gimme throws. The deep ball was a gimme throw. Britt burnt his man. The throw to Cooper was a gimme throw.

I saw all of this from him last year too.
I will have to look at the Cooper throw I thought it was a lot better than the throw Goff had to Brown but I don't remember it clear enough without re-watching. I don't buy the "back shoulder" description on the throw to Brown for the TD, that was a miss behind his receiver and Brown bailed him out.

Last edited:

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
'back shoulder" non
I will have to look at the Cooper throw I thought it was a lot better than the throw Goff had to Brown but I don't remember it clear enough without re-watching. I don't buy the "back shoulder" description on the throw to Brown for the TD, that was a miss behind his receiver and Brown bailed him out.
That was an inexperienced back not realizing where the QB was throwing the ball was the best chance of completion and avoiding the DB having a play on it.

Dolpho

UDFA
Keenum is BY FAR the best QB on this roster. You guys ignore all the practice reports that Goff can barely take a snap from center and barely call a play from the huddle. Then a bunch of you praise Goff's STRONG ARM, which was intercepted 5 FREAKIN' TIMES AGAINST UTAH.

Keenum underthrew that ball and that speaks to his arm, not his accuracy, he doesn't have the strongest arm but there is no comparison between a mistake-free Keenum and a total rookie on Goff. Not to mention it's questionable whether he has the mental fortitude to play QB in the NFL. How many 1st round QB's have completely folded under the pressure? I'll let you guess, but it's a LOT.

I seriously question the IQ of the individuals who just say, "Give Goff first team reps!" Like it's going to some how cure his YEARS of inexperience at this system as a quick fix against the BEST PLAYERS that Goff has ever experienced in his life.

I would love Goff to be the QB but how you CANNOT ignore his bad performances in the preseason. Turnovers win and lose football games, Goff has been shown (so far) to have turned the ball over WAY more against 2nd, and 3rd/4th team teams.

Last edited by a moderator:

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Then a bunch of you praise Goff's STRONG ARM, which was intercepted 5 FREAKIN' TIMES AGAINST UTAH.
5 times against UTAH?
Man, we need to cut this kid asap
I mean UTAH??

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
'back shoulder" non

The throw to Brown was a perfectly placed ball. Rewatch the play and look where the defenders are.

The throw to Cooper was off-the-mark by a lot.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Keenum is BY FAR the best QB on this roster. You guys ignore all the practice reports that Goff can barely take a snap from center and barely call a play from the huddle. Then a bunch of you praise Goff's STRONG ARM, which was intercepted 5 FREAKIN' TIMES AGAINST UTAH.

Keenum underthrew that ball and that speaks to his arm, not his accuracy, he doesn't have the strongest arm but there is no comparison between a mistake-free Keenum and a total rookie on Goff. Not to mention it's questionable whether he has the mental fortitude to play QB in the NFL. How many 1st round QB's have completely folded under the pressure? I'll let you guess, but it's a LOT.

I seriously question the IQ of the individuals who just say, "Give Goff first team reps!" Like it's going to some how cure his YEARS of inexperience at this system as a quick fix against the BEST PLAYERS that Goff has ever experienced in his life.

I would love Goff to be the QB but how you CANNOT ignore his bad performances in the preseason. Turnovers win and lose football games, Goff has been shown (so far) to have turned the ball over WAY more against 2nd, and 3rd/4th team teams.
Welcome to the board @Dolpho :cheers:

Why don't you introduce yourself HERE

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I had to make an account because of the insane nonsense spewed on this forum. Keenum is BY FAR the best QB on this roster. You guys ignore all the practice reports that Goff can barely take a snap from center and barely call a play from the huddle. Then a bunch of you praise Goff's STRONG ARM, which was intercepted 5 FREAKIN' TIMES AGAINST UTAH.

Shit. I didn't realize he was picked off 5 times by Utah last week. Or was it this week? Wait, when do we play Utah?

It speaks to both.

If he doesn't have the mental fortitude to play QB, I'd rather find that out than delay inevitable.

Jameis Winston
Matt Ryan
Joe Flacco
Andy Dalton
Cam Newton

Feel free to google those players, look at how they performed in their rookie preseasons, and then you can come back and argue to us that they shouldn't have played as rookies.

Go ahead and question my IQ. You would have questioned the IQ of the guy saying play Cam Newton or play Jameis Winston or play Andy Dalton too. Guess how that would have worked out for you?

What did those bad performances mean for Matt Ryan, Jameis Winston, Joe Flacco, Andy Dalton, and Cam Newton?

I'd take the rookie version of each and every one of those guys over Case Keenum. And I bet that the rookie version of Goff will be superior too. If Fisher doesn't waste all of our time with his typical nonsense.

Dolpho

UDFA
5 times against UTAH?
Man, we need to cut this kid asap
I mean UTAH??

Why don't you address the entire post? You guys clamoring for him to start against the 1's who mostly have 5-10 years in the NFL have EATEN up this kind of QB from every where. The defenses from these teams are animals, they will blitz the S out of him and will destroy him.

There are a number of QB's who have tried to do the same and have been completely shut down. Sit him for 1-2 years and see how he progresses.