Keenum and 1's looked sharp

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Keenum is probably the best option in the short term, Goff is the best option in the long term. Mannion isn't a good option either way, sorry. I think we will see him in the 4th preseason game and that could be it. I think game 3 will see a breakdown similar to game 2, Keenum might get one more series, then Goff takes the rest.

Mannion is the future backup of Goff or trade bait, if he starts then we're in big trouble.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
That would be a short-sighted move by Fisher, imo.

Glad you clarified that as personal opinion. Imo, I don't really see it that way. In fact, i'll have to defer to Fisher as he should know best as to a younger players readiness. Past history has me in the column with Fisher easing his rookies into prime time, of course this may disappoint some fans temporarily, but this method seems to have played well with Mannion and several others. While Goff is still getting his timing down, learning and running new plays, learning to read defenses, learning to operate under Center, getting up to speed with the NFL, I still believe he may require some minor degree of protection, both to his physical well being and his confidence. It's not necessary to coddle him, but rushing a guy you'd like to have around for a decade and a half doesn't seem necessary. When he's ready according to coach, he's ready to me, whether tomorrow, at the BYE or a later date. Either way, it will happen soon enough, and we'll be happy he's well prepared. jmo.

HellRam

Starter
I do find it entertaining to see these opinions all over the place.

I guess pre-season is meaningless unitl it isn't.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
You wont get blasted from me. Goff hasn't looked good. Not comfortable behind Center, not comfortable dropping back and i'm not seeing those amazing feet in the pocket right now.
Having said that, he's still learning how to be a pro style QB and that's not easy.
Agree 100%. He hasnt looked even close to comfortable. BUT, his passes have still been on target with the exception of a few, and have been more accurate than Keenum and Mannion IMO. That says a lot in my mind. His processing speed is still far behind when it comes to his pocket presence and breakdown of the defense, but even with that handicapping him, he still gets the balls to the target with accuracy. I think that is a great positive. When his mind catches up and the game speed slows down for him his passes will be even better.

As you said he is still learning, and its not easy, especially coming from a completely different system. He has a way to go, no doubt about it, his pocket awareness and reading the defense is behind both Keenum and Mannion, but he is still more accurate than both and has shown he is a better passer than both. He needs time is all. For once in the last 10 years, I really am not worried about the QB position, and it is an amazing feeling :)

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Glad you clarified that as personal opinion. Imo, I don't really see it that way. In fact, i'll have to defer to Fisher as he should know best as to a younger players readiness. Past history has me in the column with Fisher easing his rookies into prime time, of course this may disappoint some fans temporarily, but this method seems to have played well with Mannion and several others. While Goff is still getting his timing down, learning and running new plays, learning to read defenses, learning to operate under Center, getting up to speed with the NFL, I still believe he may require some minor degree of protection, both to his physical well being and his confidence. It's not necessary to coddle him, but rushing a guy you'd like to have around for a decade and a half doesn't seem necessary. When he's ready according to coach, he's ready to me, whether tomorrow, at the BYE or a later date. Either way, it will happen soon enough, and we'll be happy he's well prepared. jmo.

Goff is the future. This is the preseason. It doesn't count. We need to get Goff reps. He needs to get up to speed as quickly as possible. Wasting reps on a guy who doesn't need them isn't good for this team or Goff.

You're right. Goff is still getting his timing down, learning how to run new plays, learning to read defenses, etc. How does he get better at those things? By getting meaningful reps in real game action.

His confidence is not going to get broken. He suffered through a 1-11 season as a freshman in college. This is a mentally tough kid. He'll be fine.

Fisher not getting this kid reps and having him waste away on the bench for a sizable chunk of the season will only add fuel to the fire that he's the wrong coach for this team.

TheBunk

Rookie
Its definitely a bad sign if we have to go into the season wasting away games with Case as our starter. It pretty much assumes that everyone else has to play their absolute best to squeak out some wins especially given our competition early on. Dude has a low ceiling. Games we should win are in doubt with him. At least with Goff he's already shown the potential to make some throws we'd never see from Keenum that may put of over the top in some of those games. That said; Goff doesn't look ready yet which makes all this more discouraging.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I saw what Keenum could do last year when the game was on his shoulders. We need someone who can take a game over.

I totally concur and was the reason why I embraced the move, but I just need to see some more because as I agree that Keenum cannot win games, he certainly does not turn the ball over to lose them either and as soon as I'm satisfied from that perspective, it's full steam ahead and as history has taught us, you never reverse the engines.

lockdnram21

Legend
Goff is the future. This is the preseason. It doesn't count. We need to get Goff reps. He needs to get up to speed as quickly as possible. Wasting reps on a guy who doesn't need them isn't good for this team or Goff.

You're right. Goff is still getting his timing down, learning how to run new plays, learning to read defenses, etc. How does he get better at those things? By getting meaningful reps in real game action.

His confidence is not going to get broken. He suffered through a 1-11 season as a freshman in college. This is a mentally tough kid. He'll be fine.

Fisher not getting this kid reps and having him waste away on the bench for a sizable chunk of the season will only add fuel to the fire that he's the wrong coach for this team.
Fisher job on the line and he's going with who he can win with... But I understand what your saying

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River

Again, I must agree to disagree. Goff gets to spar with a top defense in practice on a daily basis, once the cuts are made, he'll be going up against even better. Goff isn't going from starter to bench, he's going to grow from being a top rookie with much to learn to a practice schedule which will help prepare him for his big date. There are still 2 games left of pre-season, we'll see where we are at in two weeks, but as of today, Keenum not only knows all the plays, he is also the more gameday prepared. Let's see how it plays out. jmo.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Again, I must agree to disagree. Goff gets to spar with a top defense in practice on a daily basis, once the cuts are made, he'll be going up against even better. Goff isn't going from starter to bench, he's going to grow from being a top rookie with much to learn to a practice schedule which will help prepare him for his big date. There are still 2 games left of pre-season, we'll see where we are at in two weeks, but as of today, Keenum not only knows all the plays, he is also the more gameday prepared. Let's see how it plays out. jmo.

Practice isn't a real game. You've got a red jersey on and know you're not going to get hit.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Rams' Case Keenum looks more like a starter than Jared Goff

By Dylan Hernandez

[www.latimes.com]

Competition? What competition?

At the moment, the so-called position battle between Case Keenum and Jared Goff is about as competitive as Secretariat against the field at the Belmont Stakes.

Or Mike Tyson’s 91-second blowout of Michael Spinks.

Or a hammer against a nail.

You get the idea.

Two games into the exhibition season, Keenum has established himself as a clear-cut leader to be the Rams’ starting quarterback against the San Francisco 49ers in Week 1.

This isn’t to say the Rams made a mistake by trading up to the first overall pick to draft Goff. Nor does it mean Goff won’t develop into the kind of franchise player the Rams envision.

It just means he’s not ready.

Sam Farmer, Gary Klein and Lindsey Thiry break down the performance of Jared Goff and Todd Gurley in the Rams' 21-20 victory over the Kansas City Chiefs in an exhibition game on Aug. 20.
Maybe Goff will experience a eureka moment in the three weeks between now and the season opener. Maybe everything will suddenly click for him.

Most likely, it won’t.

The last five rookie quarterbacks selected with the top overall pick in the draft started for their teams in the season opener – Matthew Stafford, Sam Bradford, Cam Newton, Andrew Luck and Jameis Winston. There’s no shame in breaking tradition. It’s what best for Goff and it’s what best for the Rams.

In the absence of an unexpected development, Keenum offers the Rams an unspectacular but stable alternative.

Watching Keenum in the first three weeks of training camp and watching him in the first two games of the exhibition season, it’s obvious the fifth-year quarterback is a pro.

He might not make a Pro Bowl, but he also won’t make any of silly mistakes. Coach Jeff Fisher can start him and know a certain level of competence will be guaranteed.

He was solid in the preseason opener against the Dallas Cowboys, completing six of seven passes. He was solid again Saturday against the Kansas City Chiefs, taking the Rams down the field on two touchdown drives.

Keenum displayed his experience on his third play from scrimmage, when receiver Kenny Britt gained a half-step on Chiefs free safety Ron Parker. Keenum launched the football toward Britt, resulting in a pass interference call on Parker and a 41-yard gain.

“He read it out and let it fly,” Fisher said. “Good things happen when you do that.”

Keenum completed four of five passes against the Chiefs.

He showed maturity again in the postgame news conference when he was asked about his competition with Goff.

“I’m just playing football, man,” Keenum said. “I don’t think about anything. That’s your guys’ job. You’ll go write about it and talk about it and dissect everything. For me, if I’m totally honest, the opinions that matter for me are in this locker room, that’s my teammates and coaches. I’m trying to do the best I can.”

Again, no fireworks, but professional.

This might be enough for lead the Rams to some wins, considering they have Todd Gurley in the backfield.

Gurley was on the field for only the first drive, but offered a preview of what the Rams offense could look like in the regular season. The Rams ran six plays from scrimmage on that possession and four of them were runs by Gurley.

“Everything unfolds off of that,” Fisher said of the running game.

What that means for the quarterback: Ride Gurley, make plays on third down, don’t make mistakes.

Particularly the kinds of mistakes Goff has made in his first two games.

On his second snap against the Cowboys, Goff failed to see a blitzing linebacker, absorbed a helmet to his ribs and fluttered a pass that was intercepted.

Goff looked similarly flustered Saturday, again turning the ball over on his second snap. This time, he stepped up to avoid a rush, only to trip on the foot of guard Cody Wichmann.

“I was going to run,” Goff said.

There was another fumble on the Rams’ following possession, when Goff rolled to the sideline. Instead of throwing away the ball, Goff absorbed a hit and fumbled out of bounds for a seven-yard loss.

“I was trying to throw it,” Goff said. “I don’t know if it was a fumble or incomplete pass.”

Goff orchestrated the winning drive in the fourth quarter, which he punctuated with a 10-yard touchdown pass to running back Malcolm Brown.

In the wake of the uneven performance, Goff was asked if he felt he had to make up ground on Keenum.

“I’m just worried about what I’m doing and myself,” he said. “Case has played well and Case is doing a great job, but at the same time, I’m not going to concern with him. I need to focus on myself and continue to get better because there are things I need to work on.”

He’s right.

And in the meantime, Keenum should start.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
I do not want to see Keenum take one snap this season. I think he would give the Rams the exact same offense as last season, or so close to it that 7-9 would be the absolute ceiling for the season. I'm somewhat confused by the virtual consensus assumption that Keenum will be some kind of successful game manager building on what he did last year, but I actually think Keenum will play out eerily similar to how Foles played out. Limited QBs get game planned and exposed.

I would rather see Goff start on snap one and bumble his way through all his rookie mistakes, because at least he has a chance to raise our offense and record beyond 7 wins. Even if that chance right now looks like a Lloyd Xmas chance to most people, I'll take it.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Of course, if Keenum starts the season and starts winning - really winning - he may develop real trade value for next off season. Now that would be a good problem to have.

Gandalf

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Of course, if Keenum starts the season and starts winning - really winning - he may develop real trade value for next off season. Now that would be a good problem to have.
I thought he is going to be an UFA after this year.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Personally I think Fisher is dangling Case Keenum for trade bait. Some team will bite and give us a 4th rounder. He's a decent QB but Goff and Mannion are the future of this team and will be partners in crime for a long time(or at least until Mannion hits free agency). Goff will probably get the start vs Denver and change all our minds about him.

Gandalf

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Chump change. Yeah - having him under the tag would certainly lower - if not kill - any value he had. Pipe dream anyway.
Need to trade him before the deadline this year. Maybe someone gets hurt early and needs a QB.