Keenum and 1's looked sharp

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I thought that Keenum looked great last night in his short stint. The only thing I could criticize was the woefully short pass to Britt that drew the PI, at least Britt was able to get that call. Good quick throws that were accurate and had the offense clicking in good tempo.

I was disappointed with Goff's start but thought he turned things around at least to some degree in the second half. I just don't see him giving the Rams the best chance to win at this point.

I was very disappointed that Mannion did not get any game time.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
I'll get blasted for this but right now Goff is the third best QB on the Rams. He is no where near ready and Keenum's arm is not good enough.
We should be working on Mannion to start until Goff is ready.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I was wanting Mannion too but the Chat room had desires to see Goff to the end....I think that Fisher made the right decision in leaving him in. When Goff is not holding onto the football too long, or loosing his grasp of the football or tripping over other players feet or looking unsettled in the pocket or doing his best Sam Bradford impression of looking like he has no pocket awareness .....when he does throw the ball right its a thing of beauty not seen in a Rams Horns in a long long time.

Goff will take some time to move away from all the bad but darn he can place the ball in some nice tight windows have to admit.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I certainly don't think you are wrong @Ballhawk I would be fine seeing Goff sit a year if it means making the playoffs with Mannion and Keenum running the show. I'd much rather see that than 6-10 with Goff getting Bulgerized

HellRam

Starter
I certainly don't think you are wrong @Ballhawk I would be fine seeing Goff sit a year if it means making the playoffs with Mannion and Keenum running the show. I'd much rather see that than 6-10 with Goff getting Bulgerized

How good would Keenum look if he were throwing to Quick and playing with the 2s and vise versa Goff gets to play with the 1s.

IMO its not a fair QB competition unless both QBs are playing with equal talent. I'm actually becoming slightly worried how we have handled Goff as of now. If Goff is our future he should be getting more playing time with the 1s. I'm starting to think Fisher is becoming more content with Keenum starting and shooting for that 1st winning season. My problem with that is Goff needs playing time to develop. The sooner Goff plays the sooner he becomes the franchise QB we need. Well see who starts that 3rd pre-season game next week. I would like to see Goff throwing to Kendricks, Britt and handing the ball off to Gurley.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
How good would Keenum look if he were throwing to Quick and playing with the 2s and vise versa Goff gets to play with the 1s.

IMO its not a fair QB competition unless both QBs are playing with equal talent. I'm actually becoming slightly worried how we have handled Goff as of now. If Goff is our future he should be getting more playing time with the 1s. I'm starting to think Fisher is becoming more content with Keenum starting and shooting for that 1st winning season. My problem with that is Goff needs playing time to develop. The sooner Goff plays the sooner he becomes the franchise QB we need. Well see who starts that 3rd pre-season game next week. I would like to see Goff throwing to Kendricks, Britt and handing the ball off to Gurley.
Valid point but Goff doesn't look right and the game is moving to fast for him right now. If you put Britt and Tavon in I don't think it's going help. The problem in my opinion is Goffs head. The move from that gimmick college offense to an NFL type has been hard for the kid. Before we drafted him there was a lot of talk about him on this forum that he was the most NFL ready QB to start. After watching hard knocks and 2 preseason games his transition is going to be harder than we thought. There is a brightside though Case looks ready to go. Once the game slows down for Goff watch out he will light it up. I also agree more reps for Goff and Mannion

HellRam

Starter
Valid point but Goff doesn't look right and the game is moving to fast for him right now. If you put Britt and Tavon in I don't think it's going help. The problem in my opinion is Goffs head. The move from that gimmick college offense to an NFL type has been hard for the kid. Before we drafted him there was a lot of talk about him on this forum that he was the most NFL ready QB to start. After watching hard knocks and 2 preseason games his transition is going to be harder than we thought. There is a brightside though Case looks ready to go. Once the game slows down for Goff watch out he will light it up. I also agree more reps for Goff and Mannion

That's a fair observation. That said it's easier to process a play when the talent around you is executing as they should. For example Kendricks has been getting open this preseason and making plays. Keenum knows this and keeps looking for him out there. Who's Goff go to guy? It was Higbee but he did not play last night. Goff appears slow out there I agree. But how much of that his his WRs not being open, he's also not had the same level of blocking as Keenum.

The talent you play with matters. Dak Prescott is a prime example of that. Put Dak with what Goff has been playing with and I bet we have a different view of him.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Goff wasn't terrible - but he has to protect the ball. He fumbled 3 times - once he picked it right up and even got it to the RB (although the play was killed), once he didn't throw it away fast enough and fumbled out of the town, and the other he turned it over. The under center stuff will come with time and reps - the game will slow down for him - I don't see anything that has me panicked long term - he just looks like a rookie.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
That's a fair observation. That said it's easier to process a play when the talent around you is executing as they should. For example Kendricks has been getting open this preseason and making plays. Keenum knows this and keeps looking for him out there. Who's Goff go to guy? It was Higbee but he did not play last night. Goff appears slow out there I agree. But how much of that his his WRs not being open, he's also not had the same level of blocking as Keenum.

The talent you play with matters. Dak Prescott is a prime example of that. Put Dak with what Goff has been playing with and I bet we have a different view of him.
I wouldn't compare Dak to Goff because it doesn't matter we don't have their oline. Our oline has been great run blocking but Brown has sucked at pass blocking. Case has been under pressure but he's got the ball out quickly. That is Goff''s major problem he's thinking to much. Goff will get there and when he does it is going to amazing to watch what he can do. Just going to take longer than we thought unfortunately.

HellRam

Starter
I wouldn't compare Dak to Goff because it doesn't matter we don't have their oline. Our oline has been great run blocking but Brown has sucked at pass blocking. Case has been under pressure but he's got the ball out quickly. That is Goff''s major problem he's thinking to much. Goff will get there and when he does it is going to amazing to watch what he can do. Just going to take longer than we thought unfortunately.

That was my point exactly about Prescott. The defiency of talent around Goff. IMO Goff is mostly where I thought he would be. Which is why I think the Rams should start him soon. No later then week 4. Goff needs to play most of his rookie season. I really dont want Goff's first playing time being next season. The Rams should be competing for the division by then. Not going into a season with a first year starter.

BuffaloRam

Hall of Fame
So what if Goff looks like a rookie? I'm ok with Keenum starting. The game will slow down for Goff and his footwork will improve under center - give the kid some time to adjust.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Goff is the future, not Mannion. So why take Goff out and put Mannion in? We know Goff needs more reps and work so they gave it to him. Mannion is the 3rd string qb.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
That was my point exactly about Prescott. The defiency of talent around Goff. IMO Goff is mostly where I thought he would be. Which is why I think the Rams should start him soon. No later then week 4. Goff needs to play most of his rookie season. I really dont want Goff's first playing time being next season. The Rams should be competing for the division by then. Not going into a season with a first year starter.
Will just have to disagree with you because I don't care if Goff starts after the 3rd 6th or 16th game. Goff should start when he's ready and not a game sooner. In my opinion and I'm not trying to be negative but it's going to take a while.

HellRam

Starter
Will just have to disagree with you because I don't care if Goff starts after the 3rd 6th or 16th game. Goff should start when he's ready and not a game sooner. In my opinion and I'm not trying to be negative but it's going to take a while.

All good man! Kinda figured this is where this discussion would end.

I'll finish with this. Many rookies have rough rookie year's then follow that with good ones. That's my reasoning for Goff starting. IMO some people just have to high of expectations right now. The best way to learn is to play.

As for Keenum he's a nice player but at the end of day he's limited. I believe he averaged less then 200 yards passing per game last year. We had trouble beating poor teams with Keenum last season. Im afraid the ceiling with him is 9 -7. Barring a Denver Bronco like defense.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I'll get blasted for this but right now Goff is the third best QB on the Rams. He is no where near ready and Keenum's arm is not good enough.
We should be working on Mannion to start until Goff is ready.
You wont get blasted from me. Goff hasn't looked good. Not comfortable behind Center, not comfortable dropping back and i'm not seeing those amazing feet in the pocket right now.
Having said that, he's still learning how to be a pro style QB and that's not easy.

I think Fisher took Mannion off the rotation last night due to the very limited time Goff received last week. Mannion needs more work too and i suspect we'll see less Keenum and more Goff/Mannion next week.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
JMHO, of course, but Keenum does little for me above being a middling game manager...If the Rams offense suddenly catches fire and the thus far not very impressive defense shows up, he will look very good...If he needs to carry this team, it becomes a woeful situation and dare I say, "7-9 bullshit"... I like Keenum btw, I just don't see him putting a team on his back and leading them within telescope distance of the promised land...

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
All good man! Kinda figured this is where this discussion would end.

I'll finish with this. Many rookies have rough rookie year's then follow that with good ones. That's my reasoning for Goff starting. IMO some people just have to high of expectations right now. The best way to learn is to play.

As for Keenum he's a nice player but at the end of day he's limited. I believe he averaged less then 200 yards passing per game last year. We had trouble beating poor teams with Keenum last season. Im afraid the ceiling with him is 9 -7. Barring a Denver Bronco like defense.
The funny thing is I see Case just like you do limited. But the difference will be the oline and Gurley. Last year for the most part the run blocking was bad. This preseason it looks vastly improved add Gurley to this and you have a powerful rushing attack. Now include Higbee with Cooper to Britt and TA the offense is totally different than it was last year. We can win a lot of games with Case until Goff is ready in my opinion.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
You wont get blasted from me. Goff hasn't looked good. Not comfortable behind Center, not comfortable dropping back and i'm not seeing those amazing feet in the pocket right now.
Having said that, he's still learning how to be a pro style QB and that's not easy.

I think Fisher took Mannion off the rotation last night due to the very limited time Goff received last week. Mannion needs more work too and i suspect we'll see less Keenum and more Goff/Mannion next week.

I meant to add in my last post that it will be interesting to see if, after the preseason is over Mannion has outplayed Goff, Fisher has the testes to make Mannion the backup to Keenum when the season kicks off...Of course it is likely that Mannion won't get enough quality snaps to make that happen...

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
The funny thing is I see Case just like you do limited. But the difference will be the oline and Gurley. Last year for the most part the run blocking was bad. This preseason it looks vastly improved add Gurley to this and you have a powerful rushing attack. Now include Higbee with Cooper to Britt and TA the offense is totally different than it was last year. We can win a lot of games with Case until Goff is ready in my opinion.
We just might win more with Mannion until Goff is ready!:football:Especially if Goff takes all year.:hiding:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Seeing how badly Bradford played in his first two preseason games has me a lot less worried about Goff. Hell, Winston struggled throughout the preseason last year. His stats were terrible.
http://www.nfl.com/player/jameiswinston/2552033/gamelogs?season=2015

Let's get Goff the reps and try to get him up to speed for Week 1. I think he can do it. He made some rookie mistakes but nobody doubts the kid's ability to throw the football. Keenum is a good decision-maker, but he's not a good thrower. And that limits our offense.