Keenum and 1's looked sharp

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

HellRam

Starter
The funny thing is I see Case just like you do limited. But the difference will be the oline and Gurley. Last year for the most part the run blocking was bad. This preseason it looks vastly improved add Gurley to this and you have a powerful rushing attack. Now include Higbee with Cooper to Britt and TA the offense is totally different than it was last year. We can win a lot of games with Case until Goff is ready in my opinion.

If the Rams felt they could win a lot games with Keenum. I don't think they draft Goff. Just my take. Last game of the season last year vs the Whiners Keenum was missing easy completions. The offense struggled vs a poor defense. Yes their was no Gurley. Still that proved to me Keenum is what he is a back up. I just don't see how fans think Goff is so far behind that.

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
I'm finally coming around to having Keenum as our starter

AR-160819415.jpg&maxh=400&maxw=667

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I think Fisher wants to win now, and he's going to start the player he sees giving him and his team the best opportunity to do this on gameday. Goff is our long term plan, Mannion may be our long term back-up plan. Keenum, imo, gives a pretty good potential play-off team a better chance to win right now. The way Mannion has played, Keenum may not even be on our roster next year, really depends on when Goff is ready and whether Keenum or Goff gets us into the playoffs 16 regular season games from now. If Fisher starts Goff before the BYE or next year, it's his future which is on the line, so i'd venture to say he desires the best available on any given day. jmo.

Last edited:

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
If the Rams felt they could win a lot games with Keenum. I don't think they draft Goff. Just my take. Last game of the season last year vs the Whiners Keenum was missing easy completions. The offense struggled vs a poor defense. Yes their was no Gurley. Still that proved to me Keenum is what he is a back up. I just don't see how fans think Goff is so far behind that.
So you think better players around Goff would make a difference but not in the 9er game last year for Keenum???:confused:

I agree the Rams knew they needed a franchise QB and I have high hopes that Goff will eventually be that guy. But Keenum has had a full off season as the #1 guy and last night he looked the part in the first two series. Still not a regular season game but way better than Goff who looks like what he is, a rookie with lots of potential.

If the Rams start Goff game one and he gets beat up for half a year and the Rams suck how is that going to help his development? Keenum is better than he was last year, Gurley is better than he was last year, the Oline will be better than they were last year. If the defense can play to its potential this is a play off contender.

It they stink and Goff comes in after the bye and they are average he hasn't blown it for the team. If he leads them to the playoffs after a slow start he's a hero. There isn't much down side to sitting him and letting him develop.

HellRam

Starter
So you think better players around Goff would make a difference but not in the 9er game last year for Keenum???:confused:

I agree the Rams knew they needed a franchise QB and I have high hopes that Goff will eventually be that guy. But Keenum has had a full off season as the #1 guy and last night he looked the part in the first two series. Still not a regular season game but way better than Goff who looks like what he is, a rookie with lots of potential.

If the Rams start Goff game one and he gets beat up for half a year and the Rams suck how is that going to help his development? Keenum is better than he was last year, Gurley is better than he was last year, the Oline will be better than they were last year. If the defense can play to its potential this is a play off contender.

It they stink and Goff comes in after the bye and they are average he hasn't blown it for the team. If he leads them to the playoffs after a slow start he's a hero. There isn't much down side to sitting him and letting him develop.

Keenum was missing easy completions. So the talent would not have mattered on those plays.(niner game).Goff isnt missing easy passes, his WRs are dropping the ball.

I just dont think 2 preseason games is enough to say hey...start Keenum, Goff isn't ready.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Keep Case Keenum as long as possible until Jared Goff is ready!

He's a good player, and as long as he doesnt make dumb mistakes then the team can win a lot of games with him. Is he gonna be a top 5 QB, with 4000 yards, 40 TDs ,etc? No. Can he be a 3000 yard QB with 25ish TDs? Yes.

And if people think the Rams made a mistake by taking this route instead of putting Jared in, well...screw 'em. Fuck instant gratification.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Let's get Goff the reps and try to get him up to speed for Week 1. I think he can do it. He made some rookie mistakes but nobody doubts the kid's ability to throw the football. Keenum is a good decision-maker, but he's not a good thrower. And that limits our offense.

Nothing wrong with easing the kid into it either, in fact, they use to actually practice that years ago...Again no way is right or wrong, but many have written the advantage that Wentz & Lynch had over Goff was they did not have to play right away, well, now with Keenum, neither does Goff.

HellRam

Starter
Keep Case Keenum as long as possible until Jared Goff is ready!

He's a good player, and as long as he doesnt make dumb mistakes then the team can win a lot of games with him. Is he gonna be a top 5 QB, with 4000 yards, 40 TDs ,etc? No. Can he be a 3000 yard QB with 25ish TDs? Yes.

And if people think the Rams made a mistake by taking this route instead of putting Jared in, well...screw 'em. freak instant gratification.

Problem with this scenario is.... starting Keenum is "instant gratification". Developing Goff may be a struggle early but rewarding next season and beyond. Think recent QBs... Carr, Bortles, Bridgewater, they struggled early but now have their teams in playoff contention.

Outside of a couple preseason games Keenum has shown nothing that he is a playoff caliber QB. This idea Case will do great is all hypothetical as it is with Goff as well. Which is why leaning with the better talent is probably the safer bet.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
They drafted their franchise QB who as of right now is not ready to start. Don't see why that should keep them starting Case. Now you mentioned the last game against SF as your example that Case should have played well even though Gurley didn't start. But didn't you say Goff needs Gurley so he can look good? That offensive team @ SF looks vastly different from what we have now. I believe Case gives us our best chance at winning games right now till Goff is ready.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I thought that Keenum looked great last night in his short stint. The only thing I could criticize was the woefully short pass to Britt that drew the PI, at least Britt was able to get that call. Good quick throws that were accurate and had the offense clicking in good tempo.

I was disappointed with Goff's start but thought he turned things around at least to some degree in the second half. I just don't see him giving the Rams the best chance to win at this point.

I was very disappointed that Mannion did not get any game time.
I too want to see a lot more of Mannion this Pre-Season. If for no other reason than "IF" the Rams decide to keep only two QB's Mannion could fhave a BIG Trade Value!

HellRam

Starter
They drafted their franchise QB who as of right now is not ready to start. Don't see why that should keep them starting Case. Now you mentioned the last game against SF as your example that Case should have played well even though Gurley didn't start. But didn't you say Goff needs Gurley so he can look good? That offensive team @ SF looks vastly different from what we have now. I believe Case gives us our best chance at winning games right now till Goff is ready.

Your expectations are to high if you were expecting Goff to be ready by now.

Also winning right now and building for the future are 2 different things. If that's your reason for starting Keenum nothing wrong with that. I just prefer a team that builds for the Super Bowl, not going 9 -7 and calling it good.

And again Keenum missed easy completions in that game, idk why Goff keeps getting thrown in the deabte. It is what is....

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Nothing wrong with easing the kid into it either, in fact, they use to actually practice that years ago...Again no way is right or wrong, but many have written the advantage that Wentz & Lynch had over Goff was they did not have to play right away, well, now with Keenum, neither does Goff.

I think it would do our team a lot of good if he could play right away.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I think it would do our team a lot of good if he could play right away.

IMO, the jury is still out on that counselor.;)...I need to see him with the 1's against the Broncos, then we can go from there.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
Your expectations are to high if you were expecting Goff to be ready by now.

Also winning right now and building for the future are 2 different things. If that's your reason for starting Keenum nothing wrong with that. I just prefer a team that builds for the Super Bowl, not going 9 -7 and calling it good.

And again Keenum missed easy completions in that game, idk why Goff keeps getting thrown in the deabte. It is what is....
My expections were spot on. If you go back to the threads on which QB to draft you will see that I didn't want Goff because I felt he wasn't ready to start in the NFL and he would have to sit and learn. Because of this in my opinion the price we paid to draft him was to high. Nothing of that matters now because he's on my team and I desperately want him to be the next great QB. What I don't want to do is throw him to the wolves if he is not ready. He can learn while he sits and I'm OK with that.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
If the O line is good, this team is gonna be good. And last night, the o line looked good.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If Goff is vaguely ready I would expect him to start game one. I think he'll get the lion's share of the plays next week, and basically play all game in the last preseason game, before the decision is made. I like Keenum, but even Fisher is likely to go with the rookie in this scenario.

Mannion, with not playing yesterday, doesn't enter into it.

HellRam

Starter
My expections were spot on. If you go back to the threads on which QB to draft you will see that I didn't want Goff because I felt he wasn't ready to start in the NFL and he would have to sit and learn. Because of this in my opinion the price we paid to draft him was to high. Nothing of that matters now because he's on my team and I desperately want him to be the next great QB. What I don't want to do is throw him to the wolves if he is not ready. He can learn while he sits and I'm OK with that.

Ahhhh you're a Wentz guy....now it makes sense.;)

JK....(I don't know how to use blue font).

Well see where everyone is at after training camp. I still think it's too early to decide who's ready or not.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
IMO, the jury is still out on that counselor.;)...I need to see him with the 1's against the Broncos, then we can go from there.

I saw what Keenum could do last year when the game was on his shoulders. We need someone who can take a game over.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
If Goff is vaguely ready I would expect him to start game one. I think he'll get the lion's share of the plays next week, and basically play all game in the last preseason game, before the decision is made. I like Keenum, but even Fisher is likely to go with the rookie in this scenario.

Mannion, with not playing yesterday, doesn't enter into it.

Interesting. While I don't think anyone would argue whether to start Goff if he's ready, the debate seems to center around if he truly he is. I think Fisher is still with Keenum as our opening day starter, and game 3 of the pre-season usually has the starters in for somewhere between 1/2 to 3/4's of the game. I'll be surprised if we see Goff much before the 4'th quarter, and I suspect we'll see him share snaps with Mannion as the game finishes out.
Pre-season game 4 may only get Keenum a few snaps, possibly none at all and Goff/Mannion split both halves of the game. jmo.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Interesting. While I don't think anyone would argue whether to start Goff if he's ready, the debate seems to center around if he truly he is. I think Fisher is still with Keenum as our opening day starter, and game 3 of the pre-season usually has the starters in for somewhere between 1/2 to 3/4's of the game. I'll be surprised if we see Goff much before the 4'th quarter, and I suspect we'll see him share snaps with Mannion as the game finishes out.
Pre-season game 4 may only get Keenum a few snaps, possibly none at all and Goff/Mannion split both halves of the game. jmo.

That would be a short-sighted move by Fisher, imo.