Keenum and 1's looked sharp

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I'll get blasted for this but right now Goff is the third best QB on the Rams. He is no where near ready and Keenum's arm is not good enough.
We should be working on Mannion to start until Goff is ready.
Hmmmmm...not there yet my man....still have 2 games left...Give this kid 3 quarters with the starters and 2nd teamers...He's getting warmed up...I've always felt Mannion is better than Keenum tho....The only real pro throw Keenum attempted was poorly under-thrown...Had KC had that ball hawking FS in the game...we'd all remember that play differently...

Before we drafted him there was a lot of talk about him on this forum that he was the most NFL ready QB to start.
Yeah....and I kept saying, guy doesn't call plays, doesn't audible, doesn't take snaps from center...:blah:....Might as well been typing to myself....It matters....his talent is undeniable...but lack of the pro system has appeared to slow his development...Which is funny cause Dak is from a spread and looks good...Haven't seen Hackenberg...And Cook kinda looks like Goff...I actually liked the way Wentz started out...would have been interesting to see what he would have done in game 2.
We've run majority of plays outta the shotgun so...taking center snaps is still a mystery...

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Problem with this scenario is.... starting Keenum is "instant gratification". Developing Goff may be a struggle early but rewarding next season and beyond. Think recent QBs... Carr, Bortles, Bridgewater, they struggled early but now have their teams in playoff contention.

Outside of a couple preseason games Keenum has shown nothing that he is a playoff caliber QB. This idea Case will do great is all hypothetical as it is with Goff as well. Which is why leaning with the better talent is probably the safer bet.

I don't think you read my post right.

Instant gratification is to start Jared just b/c he was the first pick, as if it's some sort of justification of playing him. If he aint ready, he aint playing.

And secondly, I never assumed Case will do great, I'm just saying he has the capability to be a good QB. And if he does, and Jared Goff ends up sitting back and learning, well I take that as a huge positive.

Last, the Rams need to win games. I won't be happy if the Rams end up going a shitty 5-11 season but as long as Jared Goff is playing it's all good. I want to see the best QB out there that can win right now. That's not instant gratification in that regard, it's the whole point of playing! If Jared Goff ends up being that guy earlier than expected, that's also a huge positive. If he has to sit out and CK as a good year, that's good too. It'll be a long time coming if the Rams have 2 QBs they can depend on, rather than a revolving door of backups.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't think you read my post right.

Instant gratification is to start Jared just b/c he was the first pick, as if it's some sort of justification of playing him. If he aint ready, he aint playing.

Why not? There's a strong argument that a number of successful QBs over the years weren't ready to play. But they played, fought through the mistakes, and were better for it. Goff's lack of readiness isn't due to any issue that should stop him from playing right away unless he straight-up can't run the offense right now.

Get him out there, let him make mistakes, and he'll be better for it. Only way he can get ready is by getting real reps.

And secondly, I never assumed Case will do great, I'm just saying he has the capability to be a good QB. And if he does, and Jared Goff ends up sitting back and learning, well I take that as a huge positive.

We definitely don't see eye-to-eye on this. I don't think Keenum has the capability to be a good QB. I think the best you get out of him is a net neutral.

Name
Joe
We definitely don't see eye-to-eye on this. I don't think Keenum has the capability to be a good QB. I think the best you get out of him is a net neutral.

He's seemed pretty smooth so far. What else do you expect a "good" quarterback to do except lead touchdown drives. Keenum has looked the best of all the Rams QBs, and he's been playing against the 1s.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Which is my point. It's a short-sighted move.

Not short sighted at all. The Rams are built to win now. The vets want the qb who can help them win now. If the rookie isn't ready they don't want to waste another season letting him get his feet wet.

Having said that, if it's close you gotta go with the young guy because he will only get better while case is case. But is it close? That's up to the coaches.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not short sighted at all. The Rams are built to win now. The vets want the qb who can help them win now. If the rookie isn't ready they don't want to waste another season letting him get his feet wet.

Having said that, if it's close you gotta go with the young guy because he will only get better while case is case. But is it close? That's up to the coaches.

The Rams are built to win now and later. It would be short-sighted to choosing winning now over setting yourself up best to win later. But frankly, I think playing Goff is more conducive to winning now anyways. Maybe not the first 4 weeks. But over the course of the season and plays? Yes.

He's seemed pretty smooth so far. What else do you expect a "good" quarterback to do except lead touchdown drives. Keenum has looked the best of all the Rams QBs, and he's been playing against the 1s.

Throw the ball well. It's the preseason, after all. I've seen Keenum play in games that count.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Rams are built to win now and later. It would be short-sighted to choosing winning now over setting yourself up best to win later. But frankly, I think playing Goff is more conducive to winning now anyways. Maybe not the first 4 weeks. But over the course of the season and plays? Yes.

I thought we were talking about starting from the first game. I think most of us envisioned case starting 3 or 4 weeks while Goff got comfortable with the playbook and with how everything works on game day standing next to the coaches and absorbing the playcalls in real time.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I thought we were talking about starting from the first game. I think most of us envisioned case starting 3 or 4 weeks while Goff got comfortable with the playbook and with how everything works on game day standing next to the coaches and absorbing the playcalls in real time.

We are. What I am saying is that Goff may not be a better option over the first 4 weeks. But he'll get the mistakes out of the way, learn, and become the better option moving forward. By the time we reach the playoffs, he'll be a big positive.

And recognizing the logical reply to this, no, I don't think sitting him for 4 games will adjust that window. He's new to the NFL. It'll take a few games for him to really adjust to the new level. Delaying those games isn't going to get rid of the adjustment period. You can't simulate real reps.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I don't know man. The Rams can win with case and win well. I want the Rams to win from game 1. If Goff has to wait I'm perfectly fine with it.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I don't know man. The Rams can win with case and win well. I want the Rams to win from game 1. If Goff has to wait I'm perfectly fine with it.

The Rams have a limited ceiling with Keenum. Goff waiting just delays his development. If he knows the offense, he should be in there Week 1. He's going to make mistakes. He's a rookie. But he'll be better for it. And once he gets the NFL game down, he's going to be outstanding. That will give our team the sort of ceiling it needs to contend for a Super Bowl.

It's easy to see watching Goff how much better of a thrower he is than any other QB on our roster. He will get the mental side of the game down with experience and reps (real reps in real games). Jameis Winston looked quite bad in the preseason last year too. But by the end of his rookie year, he looked like a quality starting QB. That's something Keenum will never be. The Rams need to let Goff grow. We can win with him while he makes mistakes. And once he gets used to the pro game, he'll be the type of guy who can carry this team even when Gurley or the defense isn't having their best day.

Winston's first 4 games

73/133
54.9%
965 yards
7.3 YPA
6 TDs
7 Ints
71.2 QB Rating

Winston's final 12 games

239/402
59.5%
3077 yards
7.7 YPA
16 TDs
8 Ints
88.5 QB Rating

Like I said, those first few games will be a little rough. But once Goff settles in, it'll be more than worth it.

FrankenRam

Starter
Isn't the third preseason game the one most NFL teams generally give extended playing time to the expected day 1 starters....to get them ready for day 1? If so, we'll get a good read on what the coaching staff thinks of the QB situation with the next game.

My bet....it ain't Goff under center.

FrankenRam

Starter
How good would Keenum look if he were throwing to Quick and playing with the 2s and vise versa Goff gets to play with the 1s.

IMO its not a fair QB competition unless both QBs are playing with equal talent. I'm actually becoming slightly worried how we have handled Goff as of now. If Goff is our future he should be getting more playing time with the 1s. I'm starting to think Fisher is becoming more content with Keenum starting and shooting for that 1st winning season. My problem with that is Goff needs playing time to develop. The sooner Goff plays the sooner he becomes the franchise QB we need. Well see who starts that 3rd pre-season game next week. I would like to see Goff throwing to Kendricks, Britt and handing the ball off to Gurley.

It's not a 'fair' competition. Never has been, never will be. Coaches are always going to give the guy they believe gives them the best chance of winning NOW the most reps. The other guys have to beat them out in practice....regardless of whether the 'other guys' are a bet-the-farm-first-round-pick or an UDFA. They don't have the luxury of giving the guy they hope is going to be 'the guy' more reps just to get him more reps....especially with the limited practice time they have been saddled with in the last CBA.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I just don't get how Case Keenum gives a better chance at winning, as if he is some tried and true veteran QB that has done it before. His 5 starts last year were book ended by 2 terrible performances. Big wins against Seattle and Detroit came as a result of defensive TD giving big leads and white knuckling it to victory. I've heard the 3-2 record *coulda* been 4-1, and it just as easily could have been 1-4. Point being, Keenum wasn't the reason for the winning, the D was.
Now this pre-season Case has been Case. 2 3&outs in 3 series in the opener and he didn't get in the way in game #2
Keenum is sold as some gritty player, lunch pail type. Then why is he getting all the quality work?
Goff should have split the reps at worst 50/50 from the jump and should be playing with Britt on the field instead of Quick
While they invested more capital in Goff, they have clearly invested more quality reps with CK.
Just makes me shake my head

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Seeing how badly Bradford played in his first two preseason games has me a lot less worried about Goff. Hell, Winston struggled throughout the preseason last year. His stats were terrible.
http://www.nfl.com/player/jameiswinston/2552033/gamelogs?season=2015
I want to join you on that bright side of the street, but the truth of the matter is that both SB and JW were struggling and getting all the reps and PT with the 1's. They were able to work the kinks out, and apply it in game action.
Goff doesn't have that benefit

Angry Ram

Why not? There's a strong argument that a number of successful QBs over the years weren't ready to play.

And there is a strong argument for the opposite approach as well. There's no right way to do things.

But they played, fought through the mistakes, and were better for it. Goff's lack of readiness isn't due to any issue that should stop him from playing right away unless he straight-up can't run the offense right now.

And right now, he can't run the offense. Case can. If, miraculously, Jared Goff gets to a point where he suddenly figures out pro offenses and reading pro defenses, sure put him in. And right now, based on reports since May through now, he isn't there yet.

Get him out there, let him make mistakes, and he'll be better for it. Only way he can get ready is by getting real reps.

Not if those mistakes lead to losses. IDK about you, I want to see the Rams win.

Of course you don't. I think, with the way the team has been in the recent past in beating teams like Arizona, Seattle, Denver, Indy, etc. with guys like Kellen Clemmons, Shaun Hill, and Austin Davis, that Case can provide stability at that position. It's a huge positive and a luxury to be where the Rams are at QB.

HellRam

Starter
It's not a 'fair' competition. Never has been, never will be. Coaches are always going to give the guy they believe gives them the best chance of winning NOW the most reps. The other guys have to beat them out in practice....regardless of whether the 'other guys' are a bet-the-farm-first-round-pick or an UDFA. They don't have the luxury of giving the guy they hope is going to be 'the guy' more reps just to get him more reps....especially with the limited practice time they have been saddled with in the last CBA.

If that's the case wouldn't it be better to give the reps to the first overall pick, as opposed to the UDFA....

I'm sorry I just don't understand how this is even a debate. Keenum is being made into something he's not. IMO Austin Davis and Kellen Clemens ran the offense better then Keenum. Atleast they put up scores and yards. Keenum averaged less then 200 yards a game and 1 TD. Between Foles and Keenum the Rams had 11 passing TDs last year.

God's honest truth I'm really shocked by my fellow ROD'ers that everyone is so down on Goff after 2 pre-season games. I'm just not understanding what fans are expecting...

Angry Ram

God's honest truth I'm really shocked by my fellow ROD'ers that everyone is so down on Goff after 2 pre-season games. I'm just not understanding what fans are expecting...

No one is "down" on Jared Goff. It's just becoming evident he isn't ready *right now*. The good thing is there are 3 weeks for him to learn and practice as much as he can, and in that time shows enough to merit being opening day (night) starter, by all means play him. If he isn't, rather roll with Case.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
The reality of it is this. Barring a miraculous advance in his learning, Goff won't be ready to start the season. Fisher has to win this year. If the rams are doing well with either Keenum or Mannion, Goff will never crack the lineup.
Fisher is not going to throw his job away just to force feed Goff before he is ready.
Especially since Fisher is banking on Gurley to be the offense and the WR's are not good enough to rely on, even if we had a HOF QB playing for us.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
If that's the case wouldn't it be better to give the reps to the first overall pick, as opposed to the UDFA....

I'm sorry I just don't understand how this is even a debate. Keenum is being made into something he's not. IMO Austin Davis and Kellen Clemens ran the offense better then Keenum. Atleast they put up scores and yards. Keenum averaged less then 200 yards a game and 1 TD. Between Foles and Keenum the Rams had 11 passing TDs last year.

Do you not remember how awful our O-Line was last year ? Do you recall the dropped passes ? Do you remember not having a running game until Gurley was healthy ?

I'm not down on Goff, but I still want the best, most prepared QB to start the season. Players & coaches will want the guy who gives them the biggest chance to win on gameday. Goff is coming along just fine, pretty much on schedule considering he has so much to learn and Fisher's affinity for bringing rookies along at a pace commensurate to their training, ability & expectations. The Rams are in a risky situation being a potential play-off team where an unprepared rookie may take them out of the equation early, ... if Keenum falters early, Goff will be in immediately, ... warts and all. jmo.

Last edited:

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Fisher not getting this kid reps and having him waste away on the bench for a sizable chunk of the season will only add fuel to the fire that he's the wrong coach for this team.

If the team is winning without Goff, how would these games be wasted? This is the Los Angeles Rams, not the Los Angeles Goffs, his development into a franchise QB would be awesome if it happens along with winning games. However if he does not give the team the best chance for victories he has no business being on the field.