Keenum and 1's looked sharp

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Keenum starts as long as Goff is learning the basics. It's as simple as that. I'm not saying Keenum is better than Goff in the long term but you are insinuating differently.

Start Keenum this year, see how he does. If he does badly towards the end of the season then put in Goff. I don't know what's so hard to understand?
Because while Keenum is the starter, hes getting all the snaps in practice. Goff's issues are in game situations, which practice with 2's isn't going to help. What has Keenum done to prove he can win games? The Rams didn't trail in any game they won with him as a starter. And didn't win any games with him that they trailed at any point

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Here's the problem with basing who's ahead by preseason performance's.

Performance is a big part of the story, but certainly not all of it. Knowing all the plays in your playbook, learning an entirely new system, adjusting to taking snaps under Center, developing NFL level vision, reading NFL level defenses all matter for a play-off caliber team. Goff will get their soon, but he's not quite their just yet. There is no reason to feed him to the dogs until he's prepared to take over, which won't be long. I'll trust in our Head-Coach to know when that date arrives, after all, it's his job which is on the line.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
You realize the alternative is Case Keenum right?
He threw 6, that's SIX interceptions vs Air Force!
Maybe we should start Mannion??
Something that should be considered if necessary. The question is if Keenum can't play for some reason, do you start Goff or do you go with Mannion? Logically, if Goff truly isn't ready you have to start Mannion. And you may find that to be better than starting Keenum anyway.
The coaches have to answer this question if the circumstance comes up.

lets all hope that Goff is ready on day one!

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And don't quote me Aaron Rodgers if we had Brett Favre on the Rams nobody would be asking for Goff to start this year.
And BTW, Aaron Rodgers led Green Bay to a 6-10 record in his first year after sitting all that time which incidentally was McCarthy worst record as coach, so people should be careful what they wish for....

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Something that should be considered if necessary. The question is if Keenum can't play for some reason, do you start Goff or do you go with Mannion? Logically, if Goff truly isn't ready you have to start Mannion. And you may find that to be better than starting Keenum anyway.

There's no way Mannion passes Goff on the depth chart.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
And BTW, Aaron Rodgers led Green Bay to a 6-10 record in his first year after sitting all that time which incidentally was McCarthy worst record as coach, so people should be careful what they wish for....
People don't remember stuff like that! You know better :D Most of the arguments against Goff are based on bias against him before he was drafted, manipulated numbers and just bad memory/logic. If people looked honestly at rookie QB's the last decade and what Keenum is actually capable of doing and has done in the past it's hard to imagine they wouldn't want Goff starting.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

The offense looks better with case right now. From my eyes goff looks pretty good out there with a couple of dumb plays mixed in. Not dumb throws, just awareness issues. But the offense looks like a well oiled machine with case. He will start the first game.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
There's no way Mannion passes Goff on the depth chart.

If Mannion has a great pre-season game 4 performance, he'll immediately become trade fodder, ... for a good price. His elevated play this off-season not only increases his own value, but also what the Rams may be able to demand in trade. He may become one of the more sought after young QB's available as the season plays out and injuries start to take their toll. jmo.

RAMpage28

Hall of Fame
The thing people over look about the Rodgers situition is that he didn't just sit behind a QB for a few years, he was drafted into a successful, stable organization that had a well put together staff that developed him well.

Just sitting a QB down doesn't automatically turn him into the next Aaron Rodgers success story.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The thing people over look about the Rodgers situition is that he didn't just sit behind a QB for a few years, he was drafted into a successful, stable organization that had a well put together staff that developed him well.

Just sitting a QB down doesn't automatically turn him into the next Aaron Rodgers success story.
And he still went 6-10....
After a 13-3 season

RAMpage28

Hall of Fame
And he still went 6-10....
After a 13-3 season

Yeah. No doubt.

Rodgers still had a pretty good year by most standards. Especially for a first full year starter. Better than just about any first year rookie.

I'm just saying that people think sitting a guy automatically makes him better and they almost always cite Rodgers as their reasoning. Just sitting a guy on a bench doesn't mean it automatically will turn him in someone like Rodgers.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah. No doubt.

Rodgers still had a pretty good year by most standards. Especially for a first full year starter. Better than just about any first year rookie.

I'm just saying that people think sitting a guy automatically makes him better and they almost always cite Rodgers as their reasoning. Just sitting a guy on a bench doesn't mean it automatically will turn him in someone like Rodgers.
No doubt
4000 yards, 28 TD, heck I could almost live with a 6-10 record to have a QB year like that again.
ALMOST...
Lol

RAMpage28

Hall of Fame
No doubt
4000 yards, 28 TD, heck I could almost live with a 6-10 record to have a QB year like that again.
ALMOST...
Lol

Yeah, I remember there being a good amount of Favre remorse and a lot of people being let down, but that's a nice year for someone you are looking to become your future franchise guy.

If Goff had that type of year, I don't know what I would do. Probably try a back flip and then realize half way through that I'm not athletic enough and eat the ground.

Would still be happy though.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
200.gif

:)

bluecoconuts

Legend

You start whoever gives you the best chance to win. Right now I don't see anything to suggest that Mannion would give us a better chance than Goff if Keenum were unable to play. Even if Goff isn't ready yet, he still gives the Rams a better chance to win at this point.

If Mannion has a great pre-season game 4 performance, he'll immediately become trade fodder, ... for a good price. His elevated play this off-season not only increases his own value, but also what the Rams may be able to demand in trade. He may become one of the more sought after young QB's available as the season plays out and injuries start to take their toll. jmo.

I don't think that happens, because Keenum is a UFA after this season, If Goff is our QB of the future, Mannion is our backup QB of the future, at least for the time being.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I don't think that happens, because Keenum is a UFA after this season, If Goff is our QB of the future, Mannion is our backup QB of the future, at least for the time being.

Veteran back-up QB's are easier to find than high draft picks.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
You wouldn't get a high draft pick for Mannion.
I wouldn't be so certain. Another excellent performance by Mannion coupled with an injured starting QB on a play-off caliber team with little back-up depth, you might be surprised. Doesn't have to be a draft pick either, could be a player swap.

If RG3 sprains his pinky this week, I say we trade Mannion and Joyner to Cleveland for Josh Gordon & a draft pick.

Last edited:

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
People don't remember stuff like that! You know better :D Most of the arguments against Goff are based on bias against him before he was drafted, manipulated numbers and just bad memory/logic. If people looked honestly at rookie QB's the last decade and what Keenum is actually capable of doing and has done in the past it's hard to imagine they wouldn't want Goff starting.

People also don't remember he threw for over 4000 yards and a 28/13 TD to INT ratio that year.

Would he have done that immediately if he went to SF, or if GB dumped Brett Favre earlier? IDK, but the real history says that Aaron benefited by sitting and learning.

CK is not Brett Favre, and wont ever be. He can however, win games for this current Rams team (which is pretty good all things considered).

P.S. AR sat for THREE seasons. Jared Goff is likely gonna play way earlier than that.