Jeff Fisher reiterates that Rams will be patient with Goff

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Didn't we all expect him to look like a rookie at this point?
Yes, of course. But I also expected him to be looking like a rookie playing with veterans like Britt, Austin and Gurley that could take the load off his shoulders vs playing behind #2,3 oline and throwing to rookie WR/TE who are fighting for roster spots.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
If Fisher thinks the team is good enough to win 10+ games with Keenum, then why trade the farm for Goff?

Because you draft a QB for the next decade, not for the next year.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Yes, of course. But I also expected him to be looking like a rookie playing with veterans like Britt, Austin and Gurley that could take the load off his shoulders vs playing behind #2,3 oline and throwing to rookie WR/TE who are fighting for roster spots.

Well, he doesn't look ready to hand the keys to just yet.

Fisher has 2 things to do. 1. Get the team ready for the season. 2. Develop Goff for the future.

If Goff doesn't look ready to be the starter - then these two things don't go entirely hand in hand. Yes, you want to give him time with the 1s - and in practice he is getting some - but you can't risk injury to all the 1s by leaving them all out there in preseason games to do it.

Keenum needs reps and the teams need reps with him if he is going to be out there week 1.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That sounds kinda goofy. Here is a fact. Most fans are idiots. They have knee jerk reactions and really don't understand the game. They hate and love players based on the TV presentation for the most part. There was actually a lot of fans thinking the Rams should start Mannion this season after a nice preseason game. I didn't think making the big trade was a great idea, but Goff is the guy now. And he doesn't need to sit behind a Hall of Famer to learn from the sidelines. The longer he can absorb the game without absorbing the hits the better the shape I think he'll be in. This team has been built for the long-haul, not to satisfy some fat ass couch junkies.

Truth right there.

Fans need to get behind Goff and allow themselves to enjoy watching our franchise QB develop. He might be great (I believe he will be) and he might not. But for the love of God remove that instant gratification requirement and soak it in.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Says who?
Current NFL disagrees with you. Unless you have a Favre, Warner or Brees in the way (which we don't) the league starts em right away and watches them play well

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well, he doesn't look ready to hand the keys to just yet.

Fisher has 2 things to do. 1. Get the team ready for the season. 2. Develop Goff for the future.

If Goff doesn't look ready to be the starter - then these two things don't go entirely hand in hand. Yes, you want to give him time with the 1s - and in practice he is getting some - but you can't risk injury to all the 1s by leaving them all out there in preseason games to do it.

Keenum needs reps and the teams need reps with him if he is going to be out there week 1.
And Goff hasn't had the chance to play with Britt, Austin and Gurley so how has it been a fair assessment? The only "experienced" guy he's had to play with was Quick, who dropped as many as he caught

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well, if Keenum leads the Rams to 11-5 and the playoffs, but Jared is ready to start next year, then Jared starts next year.

I dunno if Keenum is under contract, but I think we just tendered him at the 1st round rate, meaning that next year, he's a UFA.

Essentially, Keenum's playing for a contract someplace else, anyway, so I hope he takes us to the freakin' Super Bowl! Why not?

Would it matter if Keenum was our Super Bowl MVP? And then Jared Goff was our starter next year, presuming he was ready to take the reins, of course... would that matter?

I mean, I'm certain they're going to stick with Jared, which means that EVEN IF Case Keenum leads the Rams to a Super Bowl win AND is the Super Bowl MVP... he won't be here next year. That's how inevitable this is...unless Jared Goff's development just stagnates and, frankly, that borders on absurd. The kid needs time, but I can't imagine that he'll need more than a year of constant development.

Which in turn means that I hope Case Keenum sets the freakin' league on FIRE! Why not? Every good thing he does only benefits the Rams and hopefully pushes both Goff and Mannion (the ever forgotten QB) to be better by the principle of induction.
And what if Keenum starts 1-3?

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Says who?
Current NFL disagrees with you. Unless you have a Favre, Warner or Brees in the way (which we don't) the league starts em right away and watches them play well

How well? They watch them play okay sometimes - they make rookie mistakes - and usually don't make the playoffs.

And Goff hasn't had the chance to play with Britt, Austin and Gurley so how has it been a fair assessment? The only "experienced" guy he's had to play with was Quick, who dropped as many as he caught

He had the first team O Line in there. And he is getting reps with the #1 skill guys in practice. Myself, I have already seen enough of Gurley this preseason. I don't need to see another snap.

jap

Legend
By being patient, they put Goff in harms way. Just not a logical process.

I can't see that. One needs to be patient with all rookies, especially one slated to eventually lead a team.

And reading the tea leaves, the only way Goff plays during the season is after an injury to Keenum, ineffectiveness by Keenum and/or losing too many games. Either way it wreaks of Goff being thrown out there at some point with the season on the line.

You speak of patience being bad for Goff then complain about Goff possibly being thrown to the wolves?

It's not as if Jerad will be stagnating on the bench. He should continue to progress. At some point he will reach the juncture where more progress will depend on actual game experience. If Case reaches a point where he becomes too ineffective to win, would it be such a cruel thing to get the blue chip rookie involved?

Too much of this talk is premature. Let's see how the season begins as we open up against some good defenses. The effectiveness of Case should be much clearer then.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
How well? They watch them play okay sometimes - they make rookie mistakes - and usually don't make the playoffs.
Many of them make the playoffs, in fact a lot of them have. Wilson, Luck, RGIII, Ryan etc And the ones who didn't make the playoffs weren't the reason why the team missed. Cam, Bradford, Vince Young
The level of success of rookie QB is pretty high these days, not sure why Goff is on the other end of that
Ryan Tannehill was ready, but Goff isn't? Yikes...

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Says who?

Says me.

Whether they start right away is beside the point and beholden to other factors like the quality of who you have in the QB room, what year the regime is in, etc. If the coaching staff likes the guy you have on the roster they have the luxury of letting the kid settle in as they pursue the wins that they need to keep their jobs (examples being Rogers and Brady). If not they get the kid ready and adjust the offense as he comes online.

Tom Brady wasn't the best QB in his room during his rookie season. Matt Ryan was. Doesn't mean anything really. This is why I say that you draft a QB for the next decade, not the next season. GMs that don't realize that won't be GMs for long.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I can't see that. One needs to be patient with all rookies, especially one slated to eventually lead a team.

You speak of patience being bad for Goff then complain about Goff possibly being thrown to the wolves?

It's not as if Jerad will be stagnating on the bench. He should continue to progress. At some point he will reach the juncture where more progress will depend on actual game experience. If Case reaches a point where he becomes too ineffective to win, would it be such a cruel thing to get the blue chip rookie involved?

Too much of this talk is premature. Let's see how the season begins as we open up against some good defenses. The effectiveness of Case should be much clearer then.
They're being patient, and yet playing him in adverse situations. He got his clock cleaned in his first game
Its incongruent
Why not see how he plays with Britt on the field?
Instead, when he's been in, he's the target
Once the season kicks in, the starter gets the primary work, and obviously the game time. Goff cant improve in game situations from the bench. And you speak as if there's some timetable for him getting in. There isn't. And chances are when he gets in, it wont be good situation

…..

Legend
“We will rally around Case Keenum, and we will play good football.” — Rams Coach Dick Vermeil

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Says me.

Whether they start right away is beside the point and beholden to other factors like the quality of who you have in the QB room, what year the regime is in, etc. If the coaching staff likes the guy you have on the roster they have the luxury of letting the kid settle in as they pursue the wins that they need to keep their jobs (examples being Rogers and Brady). If not they get the kid ready and adjust the offense as he comes online.

Tom Brady wasn't the best QB in his room during his rookie season. Matt Ryan was. Doesn't mean anything really. This is why I say that you draft a QB for the next decade, not the next season. GMs that don't realize that won't be GMs for long.
Tom Brady was drafted in the 6th round, how's this similar? Rodgers was drafted with Brett Favre on the roster.
Matt Ryan was drafted in 2008 so I don't know what you mean about Tom Brady who was drafted in 2000
QB's are coming in to league and playing right away. Many making the playoffs.
Not following your reasoning here as the rest of the NFL believes in playing them right away and benefitting from it

A55VA6

Legend
Exactly.

Aaron Rodgers sat on the bench for 3 YEARS... look how that worked out for him. Sure he did learn from Favre, but you get my point. If Goff sits a year, it will only benefit him and our team. DOn't throw him into the fire and watch him fail when he's not ready..

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Did the Rams win in Seattle last year with Keenum?

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And that's what I cant comprehend.
If Keenum outplayed him on a level playing field, I'd understand.
If Keenum was a solid pro, I'd understand
If Goff was drafted in the 2nd round, I'd understand

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Exactly.

Aaron Rodgers sat on the bench for 3 YEARS... look how that worked out for him. Sure he did learn from Favre, but you get my point. If Goff sits a year, it will only benefit him and our team. DOn't throw him into the fire and watch him fail when he's not ready..
Yup, Case Keenum and Brett Favre. Virtually exact same careers....