Jeff Fisher reiterates that Rams will be patient with Goff

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Jeff Fisher reiterates that Rams will be patient with Jared Goff

[profootballtalk.nbcsports.com]

Posted by Mike Florio on August 21, 2016, 11:23 PM EDT

With the regular season three weeks away, the first overall pick in the draft is no closer to starting when the real games begin.

“What I’ve been saying since day one is we’re going to be patient with him,” coach Jeff Fisher told reporters on Sunday regarding quarterback Jared Goff. “Case [Keenum] is our starter. [Goff is] progressing, he’s getting better. As he said, he’s learning from his mistakes, he doesn’t dwell on them. . . . Case is our starter right now and, again, patience is the word. You can put it in quotes. We’re going to be patient with him.”

Goff completed eight of 12 passes for 82 yards and a touchdown against the Chiefs as the backup to Keenum. Goff’s numbers were considerably better than Week One against the Cowboys.

Regardless, the Rams are taking the same approach with Goff as they took with first-round running back Todd Gurley a year ago. They’re being patient, and then when they decide he’s ready Goff will become the starter indefinitely. And if it turns out as well as it did with Gurley a year ago, the Rams’ first year back in L.A. could be a memorable one.

The only risk with this approach is that Keenum, unburdened by the pressure of a potential benching because he knows it’s inevitable, may play well enough to make it harder to yank him for Goff. Some would call that a good problem to have. But when plenty was sacrificed to move up to get Goff, a protracted delay to the start of his career would not be a good problem to have.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
The only risk with this approach is that Keenum, unburdened by the pressure of a potential benching because he knows it’s inevitable, may play well enough to make it harder to yank him for Goff. Some would call that a good problem to have. But when plenty was sacrificed to move up to get Goff, a protracted delay to the start of his career would not be a good problem to have.
Disagree. If we're winning games and rolling with Keenum starting while Goff is the #1 in waiting that's win-win scenario.
WHEN Goff starts doesn't matter as long as the Rams are winning games. If(hypothetically) the Rams finish 10-6 and Keenum starts all 16 gm's and Goff sits...so what? Keenum gets a job somewhere else and Goff is immediately promoted.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Disagree. If we're winning games and rolling with Keenum starting while Goff is the #1 in waiting that's win-win scenario.
WHEN Goff starts doesn't matter as long as the Rams are winning games. If(hypothetically) the Rams finish 10-6 and Keenum starts all 16 gm's and Goff sits...so what? Keenum gets a job somewhere else and Goff is immediately promoted.

I agree, funny that the Eagles traded up to get Wentz, but if he sits, it's okay, whereas if Goff sits, it's a catastrophe...Overall, IMO, there will be the passing of the torch, however, at this juncture I would give Keenum the edge.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
The thing I don't like about this scenario is, it's almost expected for Keenum to lose, hence Goff will play because we'll be out of the playoffs, or on some sort of losing spree...or looking out of wack offensively. If Goff doesn't start, the expectation should be that he's sitting out the season.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If Fisher thinks the team is good enough to win 10+ games with Keenum, then why trade the farm for Goff?

jap

Legend
If Fisher thinks the team is good enough to win 10+ games with Keenum, then why trade the farm for Goff?

Did Fish actually say he expects to win 10+ games with Case? I think he knows opposing defensive coordinators are well aware of Case's limitations and will try to exploit them. However, Jerad has the arm & accuracy to make all the throws and will eventually force DC's from crowding the box against Todd.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Did Fish actually say he expects to win 10+ games with Case? I think he knows opposing defensive coordinators are well aware of Case's limitations and will try to exploit them. However, Jerad has the arm & accuracy to make all the throws and will eventually force DC's from crowding the box against Todd.
Fisher made it clear that he expects to win 10+ games this year or its failure
And he has been stern in his support of Case so....

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave

If the team can win 10 games this year with Keenum, they should be able to average 12+ wins/season with Goff for the next 10-12 years. Yes they can win with Keenum, but Goff can make all the throws Keenum can make and then ones that Keenum doesnt have the arm strength to make. Like the throw to Britt the other night, Goff can push the ball downfield much deeper than Keenum.

jap

Legend
Fisher made it clear that he expects to win 10+ games this year or its failure
And he has been stern in his support of Case so....

I don't know if he actually expects Case to hold onto the job though. Case has his limitations: he has to put air under the rock to throw it any real distance, allowing defenders time to recover to deflect or intercept passes. He has issues making all the throws. Case will get to play off the Gurley Express! and Tavon Awesome, but how far can those two help him against the better teams before those team defenses puts the clamps on Case's productivity?

Last edited:

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If the team can win 10 games this year with Keenum, they should be able to average 12+ wins/season with Goff for the next 10-12 years. Yes they can win with Keenum, but Goff can make all the throws Keenum can make and then ones that Keenum doesnt have the arm strength to make. Like the throw to Britt the other night, Goff can push the ball downfield much deeper than Keenum.
Why wouldn't a 10 win team expect to win 12 the next season with the same QB? It doesn't add up.
What game did the Rams win last year with Keenum at QB when they were trailing at some point?

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't know if he actually expects Case to hold onto the job though. Case has his limitations: he has to put air under the rock to throw it any real distance, allowing defenders time to recover to deflect or intercept passes. He has issues mal\king all the throws. Case will get to play off the Gurley Express! and Tavon Awesome, but how far can those two help him against the better teams before those team defenses puts the clamps on Case's productivity?
I agree that this may be the logic, however it doesn't make any sense to me
For one, how does a coach expect to win 10+ games and know that at some point he's going to make a QB change? I don't recall a QB change being made mid-season when the starter was playing well...
And two, how is Goff supposed to improve during the season when Keenum will get the majority of the snaps, and Goff will see no live action? And at best, he gets to play when Keenum and/or the team is losing?
Doesn't make much sense to me. If they wanted to take pressure off Goff they would have put him in the best position to succeed

Athos

Legend
I think they want to make sure when they roll into their new stadium that there will still be a Jared Goff

So.... The end of his rookie contract? Ok then.

Unless this new WR just becomes the bees knees and the Groh is boy wonder, I'm not sure how Case magically goes from 165 yards a game to about 220 which is pretty much, if I remember correctly, the bare minimum of the playoff teams last years.

That's about a 60 per game increase. Lotta faith to out in rookie WRs.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
So.... The end of his rookie contract? Ok then.

Unless this new WR just becomes the bees knees and the Groh is boy wonder, I'm not sure how Case magically goes from 165 yards a game to about 220 which is pretty much, if I remember correctly, the bare minimum of the playoff teams last years.

That's about a 60 per game increase. Lotta faith to out in rookie WRs.

Not sure what the rookie contract has to do with anything I was suggesting.

The Rams brass have spent a fortune on Goff and I think they are gonna do all they can to keep him around for the next 15 years winning games - regardless of whether i think it's right or wrong to throw a guy out their day 1.

And if you look at what the Rams are doing at WR it's clear they have been desperately trying to find "the guy" since they began. Nobody they have drafted so far has worked out besides Austin. It's a pretty horrible account, but I think there is a chance some of the kids we drafted this year (and the UDFA's) can rise to the occasion and be this years version of what we did with the Oline. Oline looks actually promising this year!

And you know Groh is boy wonder -- it's gonna happen - and I guarantee Case will put up good numbers this year. What % who knows but it's gonna be a solid number. Case put up great numbers in Houston and led the NCAA in passing - so the potential for him to throw lots of yards is proven in college. Case can be the guy this year and we can take it easy with Goff so when he does start he's not tripping over his own lineman, but making those super accurate throws downfield. Case is blue collar and Goff is like a thoroughbred - let Case do his job and pave the way for Goff. Let the new WR get a year under their belt with both guys - the Rams front office plans years in advance as we all know now with the move to LA.

But when Fisher says Case is the starter I believe him. I think the investments this franchise is making at the QB position and the new Stadium go hand in hand as their ultimate vision.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Jeff Fisher reiterates that Rams will be patient with Jared Goff

[profootballtalk.nbcsports.com]

Posted by Mike Florio on August 21, 2016, 11:23 PM EDT

With the regular season three weeks away, the first overall pick in the draft is no closer to starting when the real games begin.

“What I’ve been saying since day one is we’re going to be patient with him,” coach Jeff Fisher told reporters on Sunday regarding quarterback Jared Goff. “Case [Keenum] is our starter. [Goff is] progressing, he’s getting better. As he said, he’s learning from his mistakes, he doesn’t dwell on them. . . . Case is our starter right now and, again, patience is the word. You can put it in quotes. We’re going to be patient with him.”

Goff completed eight of 12 passes for 82 yards and a touchdown against the Chiefs as the backup to Keenum. Goff’s numbers were considerably better than Week One against the Cowboys.

Regardless, the Rams are taking the same approach with Goff as they took with first-round running back Todd Gurley a year ago. They’re being patient, and then when they decide he’s ready Goff will become the starter indefinitely. And if it turns out as well as it did with Gurley a year ago, the Rams’ first year back in L.A. could be a memorable one.

IF you don't read the 1st and last sentence in this piece by Florio, It's a good accurate piece!

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack

Yes, he has the arm and the accuracy and I'd add that he has the footwork. However, he's quite far from having the processing at the pro level as well as the full grasp of the offense. I'll grant that some of that will be reps with the 1s, but not all. Not nearly all.

Honestly, anyone who thought Jared Goff was going to be putting up numbers like Dak Prescott is currently putting up was....overly optimistic...to be gentle. That wasn't going to happen, for a number of reasons that have been rehashed to death (vanilla offense always run in preseason, drops by wrs, OL instability...etc...and we've seen it all play out just so).

And yet, even with all of that, can Case Keenum lead this team to 11 wins? If everything breaks right for this team and they stay healthy...yep. It's possibru. Not terribly probable, but possibru (sorry, too much time on gaming forums lately).

Jared's a Ram. He's already shown some really nice signs. Then again, so did Bradford (I mean, the dude did win OROY with a relatively gimped O)...which is why I'm taking more of a wait and see attitude. I actually think the desire to be patient with Goff is a good thing as it was with Gurley.

We don't need to revisit the David Carr Experience. I'd rather learn from the Texans' mistake, be patient and allow Jared to live up to his eventual potential.

Sitting didn't seem to hurt Aaron Rodgers' career any...

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
The thing I don't like about this scenario is, it's almost expected for Keenum to lose, hence Goff will play because we'll be out of the playoffs, or on some sort of losing spree...or looking out of wack offensively. If Goff doesn't start, the expectation should be that he's sitting out the season.
I'm not too sure about you bottom line! IF Keenum starts taking a Beating, later in the Season, which I don't see happening, Goff could find his way onto the Field!

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Well, if Keenum leads the Rams to 11-5 and the playoffs, but Jared is ready to start next year, then Jared starts next year.

I dunno if Keenum is under contract, but I think we just tendered him at the 1st round rate, meaning that next year, he's a UFA.

Essentially, Keenum's playing for a contract someplace else, anyway, so I hope he takes us to the freakin' Super Bowl! Why not?

Would it matter if Keenum was our Super Bowl MVP? And then Jared Goff was our starter next year, presuming he was ready to take the reins, of course... would that matter?

I mean, I'm certain they're going to stick with Jared, which means that EVEN IF Case Keenum leads the Rams to a Super Bowl win AND is the Super Bowl MVP... he won't be here next year. That's how inevitable this is...unless Jared Goff's development just stagnates and, frankly, that borders on absurd. The kid needs time, but I can't imagine that he'll need more than a year of constant development.

Which in turn means that I hope Case Keenum sets the freakin' league on FIRE! Why not? Every good thing he does only benefits the Rams and hopefully pushes both Goff and Mannion (the ever forgotten QB) to be better by the principle of induction.