Jeff Fisher reiterates that Rams will be patient with Goff

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I agree, funny that the Eagles traded up to get Wentz, but if he sits, it's okay, whereas if Goff sits, it's a catastrophe...
Where is it ok that Wentz sits? Not in Philly that's for sure. Fans/media were all over Wentz 1st snaps in pre-season and had his ribs not gotten tweaked, he's completely in the mix for the starter gig.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
It doesnt matter how many yards you pass for if your running the ball at 4-8 yards a carry. Although catching the passes that are thrown could improve the passing yards per game and maybe save some wear and tear on Gurley and Benny and any D that might have to stop Brown.

Ramatik

Starter

That sounds kinda goofy. Here is a fact. Most fans are idiots. They have knee jerk reactions and really don't understand the game. They hate and love players based on the TV presentation for the most part. There was actually a lot of fans thinking the Rams should start Mannion this season after a nice preseason game. I didn't think making the big trade was a great idea, but Goff is the guy now. And he doesn't need to sit behind a Hall of Famer to learn from the sidelines. The longer he can absorb the game without absorbing the hits the better the shape I think he'll be in. This team has been built for the long-haul, not to satisfy some fat ass couch junkies.

Athos

Legend

I know that. I said 220 was the bare minimum for teams that got into the playoffs. GB in a down year, the abysmally offensive ViQueens, and Carolina in a year without a decent running game and no Benjamin. Expect that to not happen again.

Team needs to get to 230-240 in my eyes, which is an even greater leap for Keenum to make.

jap

Legend
I agree that this may be the logic, however it doesn't make any sense to me
For one, how does a coach expect to win 10+ games and know that at some point he's going to make a QB change? I don't recall a QB change being made mid-season when the starter was playing well...
And two, how is Goff supposed to improve during the season when Keenum will get the majority of the snaps, and Goff will see no live action? And at best, he gets to play when Keenum and/or the team is losing?
Doesn't make much sense to me. If they wanted to take pressure off Goff they would have put him in the best position to succeed

I am not sure if Case will continue to play "well." Right now he is facing plain vanilla defenses. Soon he will be staring at all the meat of the NFC West defenses. For all his toughness and sheer moxy, Case did get knocked out last season, forcing us to go with Jolly 'Ole St. Nick once more. He is gonna face some tough defenses who know us well early on.

It's hard to say how quickly a young QB will respond to adversity. However, I suspect Jared is the type who learns quickly. He will not be at his best this season, but he may soon reach a point where he gives the Horns the best chances to win at QB.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Good post, and makes sense. Who's to say what the sitting behind Favre did? Rodgers may have just played like Rodgers
On the flip side, there's Jacksonville who sat Bortles, let Henne get the reps and after 2 losses, they threw Bortles in anyway. The HC had said he regretted that decision and that he should have just made him the starter all along. Of course he was fired but still...

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I am not sure if Case will continue to play "well." Right now he is facing plain vanilla defenses. Soon he will be staring at all the meat of the NFC West defenses. For all his toughness and sheer moxy, Case did get knocked out last season, forcing us to go with Jolly 'Ole St. Nick once more. He is gonna face some tough defenses who know us well early on.

It's hard to say how quickly a young QB will respond to adversity. However, I suspect Jared is the type who learns quickly. He will not be at his best this season, but he may soon reach a point where he gives the Horns the best chances to win at QB.
This is kind of my confusion/point
They could have spent this pre-season giving Goff playing time with Britt/TA/Gurley/Cunningham, and getting #1 snaps to get him ready. But instead of that, he's relegated to 2nd string (on a weak offensive team) which hasn't helped his development. And then his best case scenario for PT this year is to come in to a game after Keenum is hurt, ineffective or the team cant win games. If the idea is to bring him along slowly, I don't see how he's going to get chance where the pressure is 10X more than what it could have been

Ram65

Legend
You can put it in quotes. We’re going to be patient with him.”

Can you really believe Fisher?

Here is how the quote should read: "We're going to be patient with him, until we're not."

Is this an organizational decision? I think the Rams want to start off in LA on a positive note. I also believe Fisher thinks the Rams can win with Keenum early on more than he thinks they can win with Goff. At some point Goff will be the starter we will just have to wait to find out when.

jap

Legend
This is kind of my confusion/point
They could have spent this pre-season giving Goff playing time with Britt/TA/Gurley/Cunningham, and getting #1 snaps to get him ready. But instead of that, he's relegated to 2nd string (on a weak offensive team) which hasn't helped his development. And then his best case scenario for PT this year is to come in to a game after Keenum is hurt, ineffective or the team cant win games. If the idea is to bring him along slowly, I don't see how he's going to get chance where the pressure is 10X more than what it could have been

Jerad got hammered enough in the first pre-season game to cause Fish to abort his plans to play him longer. I wouldn't be surprised to see him play substantially in the next two games as well. Since Case is the designated starter for now, he has to get his reps to get his own timing down for the Game One.

Fish reiterated they were going to be patient with Jerad; I'm not sure that necessarily translates to bringing him along slowly. No, they don't want to rush him too soon. However, I don't believe they want to necessarily take too long if they feel he has moved pass Case in terms of playing effectiveness.

Things will become much clearer when the season starts, and we get to see how Case fares against top-ranked defenses.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Maybe Carr just wasn't very good? And he had his best year in his 3rd season, if starting right away was detrimental in his case, then why was he showing improvement each year thereafter?
But back on topic, if Goff isn't ready now, how's he going to be ready going forward if his snaps with the 1's is going to dramatically decrease once the season kicks off? How will he be more ready for game situations without playing in games? Over the last 10 years, QB's drafted in the top 5 have started right away and most have played well. I don't see where Goff has to be the exception
If Goff is the #3 QB then the pick was truly a disaster. The #3 QB gets literally no reps and no opportunity to play
This isn't a 3rd round QB we took as a luxury, we're talking about giving up 2 drafts to get him

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Jerad got hammered enough in the first pre-season game to cause Fish to abort his plans to play him longer. I wouldn't be surprised to see him play substantially in the next two games as well. Since Case is the designated starter for now, he has to get his reps to get his own timing down for the Game One.

Fish reiterated they were going to be patient with Jerad; I'm not sure that necessarily translates to bringing him along slowly. No, they don't want to rush him too soon. However, I don't believe they want to necessarily take too long if they feel he has moved pass Case in terms of playing effectiveness.

Things will become much clearer when the season starts, and we get to see how Case fares against top-ranked defenses.
By being patient, they put Goff in harms way. Just not a logical process.
And reading the tea leaves, the only way Goff plays during the season is after an injury to Keenum, ineffectiveness by Keenum and/or losing too many games. Either way it wreaks of Goff being thrown out there at some point with the season on the line.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
If Goff is the #3 QB then the pick was truly a disaster. The #3 QB gets literally no reps and no opportunity to play
This isn't a 3rd round QB we took as a luxury, we're talking about giving up 2 drafts to get him

I just can't put a final grade on a draft pick (even the #1 overall that you gave up the farm to go get) after his rookie season. Would I like to see him ahead of schedule and already taking all the snaps with the #1s? Sure - but I'm much more interested in years 2-5 of his first contract than I am year 1. Didn't we all expect him to look like a rookie at this point?