Jeff Fisher reiterates that Rams will be patient with Goff

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
The different perspectives make me think of this.

1336748660444-we_re_all_going_to_die.jpg

Bruce2980

Starter
My guess is that Goff starts by week four regardless of Rams record at that point in time. As soon as Goff can read and pick up the blitzes, he's in. The running game and Defense is going to give the Rams their victories and no better place for a rookie to learn than on the field, the running game will protect Goff. He'll have his TEs and RBs to throw to, since we are not sure how many receivers will be able to catch by then.

Last edited:

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
At what point do we look at common era for "school of thought"? Because in the last 10 years it is a rarity that your top 5 draft pick QB doesn't start right away.

That is most likely because the teams that are picking in the top five are the bottom five teams and they have no other choice but to play their brand new QB. If for no other reason than to get the fans interested again.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That is most likely because the teams that are picking in the top five are the bottom five teams and they have no other choice but to play their brand new QB. If for no other reason than to get the fans interested again.
Or more likely because the guy they drafted is the best QB on the team

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
And what if Keenum starts 1-3?

What I meant in all seriousness was that it won't matter if Keenum goes Super Saiyan...he's outta here at the end of the year...unless Goff shows substantial lack of progress.

If that's the case (no pun intended), then since it doesn't look like Goff is about to set the league on fire, if I had a choice, I'd rather see Case go Super Saiyan rather than have him sputter and have Goff step in after X number of games. NOT because I don't want to see Goff, but because... it's win/win...for the Rams and Keenum.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Sounds like the Rams. But that QB being the most talented guy on the roster typically factors in as well.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What I meant in all seriousness was that it won't matter if Keenum goes Super Saiyan...he's outta here at the end of the year...unless Goff shows substantial lack of progress.

If that's the case (no pun intended), then since it doesn't look like Goff is about to set the league on fire, if I had a choice, I'd rather see Case go Super Saiyan rather than have him sputter and have Goff step in after X number of games. NOT because I don't want to see Goff, but because... it's win/win...for the Rams and Keenum.

If Case starts, I hope he's the next Drew Brees. I hope he absolutely kills it. But I still hold the opinion that the Rams are making a major mistake if they don't toss Goff out there early in the season. We can afford mistakes against a team like SF.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
If Case starts, I hope he's the next Drew Brees. I hope he absolutely kills it. But I still hold the opinion that the Rams are making a major mistake if they don't toss Goff out there early in the season. We can afford mistakes against a team like SF.

He's not the next Drew Bree's, he's our stop gap QB - everyone knows this

Goff hasn't won the job yet
Let the guy develop - don't see how that's a mistake

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He's not the next Drew Bree's, he out stop gap QB - everyone knows this

Goff hasn't won the job yet

The guy will develop more quickly with real snaps in real games. The Rams need to do what's best for the team. Jared Goff at QB is best for the team.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Because he can develop in games, as the starter. There's no simulation for game action once PS games are over. If its such a forgone conclusion that Goff will eventually start, why wait? Why not get him the most practical practice now?

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

If its a forgone conclusion that Keenum is gone, then why not develop Goff now?

RamWoodie

Legend
Why are we doing this? Goff just isn't ready yet...and Fisher is wise to be patient with him. Keenum certainly has no pipe dream here, the guy has always been a 2QB so he has no misgivings here. He knows his experience give him the nod over Goff right...and he KNOWS eventually Goff is going to be the starter.

Keenum would have to be blind to not see Goff has a better arm and potential. He's at practice everyday so he knows the deal. He's going to hold down the QB1 spot until Goff is ready. In fact.

Relax folks...and let it happen!!!

Bluesy

Reppin' the Rams since 2000
Name
Kyle
I'm just gonna say this, but I think if a player's good then they're good. It doesn't matter if they start day one or not.

Shit, look what Mannion did in the first preseason game, and he played what, a few quarters last year? I'm not saying he's a world beater, but he had a decent performance. Same can be said for Gurley, granted he's a freak, but still. Same could be said for Jadeveon Clowney, he's pretty good I'd say. Idk those are just a few examples off the top of my head.

I think we're (and all the media) making a bigger deal out of this than we should. But hey that's what discussion is for I guess.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
If its a forgone conclusion that Keenum is gone, then why not develop Goff now?

I think that's what the Rams are doing. The point is that they are realizing that his development will take time.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
At what point do we look at common era for "school of thought"? Because in the last 10 years it is a rarity that your top 5 draft pick QB doesn't start right away.
I just don't know how we can expect Goff to get ready during the season when snaps are limited, contact is limited and there is no game experience like there is in TC/PS. The most advantageous time to get him ready is during rehearsal season. And my concern is that when he will get a chance, he will be thrown to the wolves unlike using the opportunity that we have right now.
I find the precaution to be to a fault.

When he starts in the regular season, be it week 1 or week 4, he's going to be thrown to the wolves. That's just the way it is in the NFL with rookie QBs.

I agree with theory learn on the job. Perhaps he wants the rest of the team ready as much, if not more than he wants Goff ready.

Will defenses play the two QBs differently? Probably. So maybe Fisher wants the O line and the WRs ready before Goff starts. Maybe he starts Keenum against SF and if we get a big enough lead, he brings in Goff. Or maybe the plan is week 2? Who knows.

I'm not sure there's a right way and a wrong way. As long as the team is winning.

**(Btw, DB, off subject how ya liking Sanchez and Judge?)