Jared Goff: "I promise you guys it will get fixed. Everything in my heart and soul."

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If that's actually the case.
We don't know if that's the reason he didn't pull the trigger sometimes.
If it is, then yeah. I wouldn't blame him for that. But then again, just don't look his way if that's the case.

That would be the better way to handle it. But it might be instinct to look his way when that's how they practiced it. I can't say why he didn't throw it. But I can say that on the play where Quick ran the double move, he saw it. He pulled the ball back like he was going to throw it and then decided not to throw it.

Looking at that play, it's hard to explain why that would happen.

Scirca

Rookie
You just spent all that time complaining about all the adversity Goff went through, and you're going to ignore the fact that Keenum played for 3 Head Coaches on two bad teams with 4 different coordinators in 24 starts? You're right. In that sense, there is no comparison. Keenum had it much worse. But I don't compare the two from a talent standpoint. Anyone with eyes can see that Goff has more pure talent as a passer. He's yet to demonstrate the ability to process information and 'trust' receivers the same way though. It's funny how Keenum trusted the same idiot quitters that Goff isn't expected to trust, though. What does that tell you about Goff, if anything?

I have nothing against Case Keenum. He's been a good teammate to Sean Mannion and Jared Goff. He took his demotion and didn't complain about it on the sidelines. Having said all that, of course Case Keenum is not in a favorable position. However he got signed for one year, and should be glad somebody has a place for him on their roster. (harsh reality of the NFL.)

Last edited:

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Again, I didn't say I wouldn't back him. And while I was backing Keenum, I also pointed out when he didn't play well. I didn't ever call the rest of the team garbage because he threw an interception or took a sack either - which is apparently the ONLY possible reason Goff didn't play well. I did debate a couple of interceptions or incompletions that I thought weren't Keenum's fault (and I was correct), but that doesn't mean I defended him at all costs. And I'll absolutely do the same for Goff if I see him being unfairly criticized. I think you're under the impression that holding him to the same standards as everyone else makes one a "basher". Is that the label I'm going to get if I suggest he didn't play as well as he could? Because that would be a shame. To that end, it still doesn't mean I'm going to spend my time looking at the negative or railing on him if he doesn't play well. That's one thing that hasn't changed for me and never will. I don't call players garbage, idiots, quitters, or anything else. I simply point out where they're falling short or failing to live up to expectations. If you want me to be someone or something else, I'm sorry -- I just can't help you.
No worries, when you said, "The reason I'm guarded in my optimism, is because I spent five years suggesting Bradford only needed this or that to become one of the greats. 7 years later, he only looks "good". If I have to spend the next 5 years making excuses for Goff too, I'm going to be extremely disappointed - and quite frankly, I don't think I have it in me." I took it that because of what you went thru with Bradford, you wouldn't do it again.
Either way, I don't mean any disrespect, just enjoyed your rational QB breakdown, because you're good at it.
Like you said, you didn't say you wouldn't, so Ill just look forward to it.
I'll stick with the homerism. Lol

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I liked Goff in college I don't like the draft pick maybe if we had the number 1 pick and drafted him it would be better but Goff have never had to do any QB things in college except get the play and throw. He has too many holes in his game to have been a number 1 pick and for us to trade up for him I think that was a mistake
Got it. So it wasn't that Bradford looked better, it was that you weren't high on Goff to begin with, so you're more critical of him out of the gate.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm not babying him, I'm just calling it like I see it. This team is garbage on the offensive side of the ball before he came in. Nothing really changed. The same people who came to collect checks were the same people quitting on routes and looking for the Jeff Fisher Holiday Inn. Jared Goff came from an even worse situation in that his Cal team was worse than this Rams team and he overcame it @Dxmissile (it's one of the reason's outside of football that I really hold Goff in high regard). Sam Bradford didn't have that kind of adversity coming out of Oklahoma. (For whom I have lost all respect for as a school and as a football program).

Any competent coach(who isn't the laughingstock of the NFL) would have realized that he should have been starting from day 1 and adjusted his system to be more Rookie QB friendly system. Jeff Fisher is a horrible coach, who implented a horrible supporting staff.

And another thing, whenever the offense was clicking, the defense fell apart. When the defense fell apart the offense played good. Who's to be blamed for that.

Edit: Also I don't like that you compare Case Keenum to Jared Goff. One is a rookie coming from a different system and no first team reps in the off season, to a guy who was almost as bad as Carson Wentz (post week 3-15).

I agree he should have been playing from week 1 but we would have won a game or 2 maybe.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Got it. So it wasn't that Bradford looked better, it was that you weren't high on Goff to begin with, so you're more critical of him out of the gate.

No Bradford did look better. I'm more critical of Goff cause I don't believe they picked Goff thinking he was going to bring us a championship or be that missing piece. I'm more critical of Goff because he just doesn't look like A number 1 QB when footwork is the best you can describe someone that's as when that's your only take as to why he is going to be elite that's bad. I'm seeing people compare him to Brady and Rodgers and manning just because they all was bad in their rookie year, I don't judge good or bad from 1 yr. I didn't like the pick from the jump and what I'm saying now I have been saying before he threw 1 pass

Scirca

Rookie
No Bradford did look better. I'm more critical of Goff cause I don't believe they picked Goff thinking he was going to bring us a championship or be that missing piece. I'm more critical of Goff because he just doesn't look like A number 1 QB when footwork is the best you can describe someone that's as when that's your only take as to why he is going to be elite that's bad. I'm seeing people compare him to Brady and Rodgers and manning just because they all was bad in their rookie year, I don't judge good or bad from 1 yr. I didn't like the pick from the jump and what I'm saying now I have been saying before he threw 1 pass

These are his positives:

1. Mentally and Physically Tough
2. He is a team player. "We" win.. "I" lose kind of guy.
3. Best pocket presence of any Qb past or present.
4. Ability to make reads, process information quickly.
5. Rhythm Qb. (both a positive and a negative).

If he's on, he will take your soul. (Think of the Saints game, what a tease, 3tds in the first half. I believe wholeheartely he would have had 6 tds that game if the offensive line didn't wet the bed.)

If off, it's going to be a long game.
6. Decision Making.
7. Arm talent.

Last edited:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm more critical of Goff because he just doesn't look like A number 1 QB when footwork is the best you can describe someone that's as when that's your only take as to why he is going to be elite that's bad.

I wrote a novel breaking down Goff and Wentz. If the only positive you saw regarding Goff was footwork, you weren't looking at the informative posts a number of people made prior to the draft.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I have nothing against Case Keenum. He's been a good teammate to Sean Mannion and Jared Goff. He took his demotion and didn't complain about it on the sidelines. Having said all that, of course Case Keenum is not in a favorable position. However he got signed for one year, and should be glad somebody has a place for him on their roster. (harsh reality of the NFL.)
I'm a Keenum fan, because I do enjoy underdog stories and he displayed a phenomenal fire when he played. But it's not like I think he should be competing with Goff for a starting spot. I would like it if he stayed, but I won't lose any sleep over it if he isn't retained. He was just fun to root for because his enthusiasm was infectious. I like Goff for different reasons. I like his maneuverability in the pocket, his arm, and his demeanor. Being a fan of Keenum's enthusiasm doesn't mean I don't appreciate the steely determination and calm of Goff. They're both good traits ... just different. I still think Goff will be good when the game slows down for him, but It's very clear to me that the stories of him not being ready were true - and that's not a bad thing. Players evolve and improve at different rates, and his experience in the Bear Raid offense in no way, manner, shape, or form, could have prepared him for the complexities of a voluminous offensive scheme or the speed and deception employed by NFL defenses. And just handing him the keys to the offense because he was drafted #1 overall - when it was clear he wasn't ready for that (his words, too) - would only have served to sew discord in the locker room when they see someone else who's clearly prepared and ready to go getting passed over. It was the right call, IMO.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And just handing him the keys to the offense because he was drafted #1 overall - when it was clear he wasn't ready for that (his words, too) - would only have served to sew discord in the locker room when they see someone else who's clearly prepared and ready to go getting passed over. It was the right call, IMO.

I'm of the opinion that Goff could have been ready if that was the Rams' goal. There was no discord in the locker room when the Rams made Bradford the starter from Day 1.

I respectfully disagree that it was the right call. The Rams made a lot of wrong calls this past off-season. That was one of many.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I'm of the opinion that Goff could have been ready if that was the Rams' goal. There was no discord in the locker room when the Rams made Bradford the starter from Day 1.

I respectfully disagree that it was the right call. The Rams made a lot of wrong calls this past off-season. That was one of many.
I know you disagree, but that's where I am on it. We just don't see it the same way. And apparently it wouldn't matter if he did get to the point he was ready day one. I'm told this team is absolute shit, so there's no reason to think we would have won any more or less with him in there. He probably would have been injured early, given how non-existent the protection was (allegedly). I won't go backwards in time and explain why Bradford *should* have been the starter, because we'll end up talking about Tim Couch or something. Let's just say that Bradford was probably more prepared to start in 2010 than Goff was last year based on how they progressed in practice. Doesn't matter though. That book has already been written and we didn't get to see the ending.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No argument there, but that wasn't the point of the discussion. Bradford had a poor 1st game, but his first 7 were far superior than anything Goff has done.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I wrote a novel breaking down Goff and Wentz. If the only positive you saw regarding Goff was footwork, you weren't looking at the informative posts a number of people made prior to the draft.

Well a lot of the things I was told was incorrect and in fact I remember being told that I couldn't trust my eyes because I didn't know what I was looking at. I remember being told that Goff called plays in college that he made line changes in college which it turns out was incorrect. I was told about him being smart able to go trough his progressions when this season I saw him lock on 1 target more than scan the field. I was told about his pocket awareness when all I saw was him hold the ball and take sacks and run into sacks.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I agree he should have started when you trade up for a QB he is supposed to start.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well a lot of the things I was told was incorrect and in fact I remember being told that I couldn't trust my eyes because I didn't know what I was looking at. I remember being told that Goff called plays in college that he made line changes in college which it turns out was incorrect. I was told about him being smart able to go trough his progressions when this season I saw him lock on 1 target more than scan the field. I was told about his pocket awareness when all I saw was him hold the ball and take sacks and run into sacks.

No, it doesn't turn out that it was incorrect. Both his college HC and OC said that. I am in literal disbelief that you want to argue with a HC and OC over what responsibilities they gave their QB. I'm sure you know more than they do.

The rest of the stuff is your opinion. I don't care to argue with you over it again.

Scirca

Rookie
I'm a Keenum fan, because I do enjoy underdog stories and he displayed a phenomenal fire when he played. But it's not like I think he should be competing with Goff for a starting spot. I would like it if he stayed, but I won't lose any sleep over it if he isn't retained. He was just fun to root for because his enthusiasm was infectious. I like Goff for different reasons. I like his maneuverability in the pocket, his arm, and his demeanor. Being a fan of Keenum's enthusiasm doesn't mean I don't appreciate the steely determination and calm of Goff. They're both good traits ... just different. I still think Goff will be good when the game slows down for him, but It's very clear to me that the stories of him not being ready were true - and that's not a bad thing. Players evolve and improve at different rates, and his experience in the Bear Raid offense in no way, manner, shape, or form, could have prepared him for the complexities of a voluminous offensive scheme or the speed and deception employed by NFL defenses. And just handing him the keys to the offense because he was drafted #1 overall - when it was clear he wasn't ready for that (his words, too) - would only have served to sew discord in the locker room when they see someone else who's clearly prepared and ready to go getting passed over. It was the right call, IMO.

I too enjoy underdog stories. Look at whats happening over there in Washington to Kirk Cousins, they don't believe in him, even though in my eyes he is better than Andrew Luck and it's not even close.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No, it doesn't turn out that it was incorrect. Both his college HC and OC said that. I am in literal disbelief that you want to argue with a HC and OC over what responsibilities they gave their QB. I'm sure you know more than they do.

The rest of the stuff is your opinion. I don't care to argue with you over it again.

How many times have EVERYONE Fisher Snead Goff say he never called plays in a huddle before never had to change plays at the line that's one of the main reasons he wasn't ready to get on the field.