Jared Goff: "I promise you guys it will get fixed. Everything in my heart and soul."

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
He is in the absolute worst situation possible for a rookie quarterback. Garbage scheme, garbage teammates (except for Pharoh Cooper), surrounded by Quitters (same exception),Garbage coaches...
Amazing that St Jared was able to even wake up in the morning with that level of suck awaiting him. This is the reason why people don't take Goff fan boys seriously, by the way. You just insulted the entire team (grossly) and protected him like a baby. Where are all the people who thought the Rams only needed him to start the season and get all the first team reps from day one in order to make the playoffs? Would that have all of a sudden made the entire team and coaches NOT garbage?

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I never said I'd do otherwise. You're confusing my reluctance to call Goff the GOAT with a reluctance to root for him. I'm simply not going to excuse his shortcomings and redirect it to everyone else on the team. Someone needs to remind me why it's okay to afford Goff years of patience and protect him with excuses while simultaneously rendering instant judgement on every other player on the offense. He's one guy and he deserves the same level of scrutiny everyone else gets, IMO. That said, I haven't judged him yet. So I think that needs to be made abundantly clear.
Well you said that you were guarded in your optimism because of Bradford, that you wouldn't give Goff the same. That's what I find strange. I'll give Goff every bit of the benefit of the doubt I gave Bradford, why not?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Well you said that you were guarded in your optimism because of Bradford, that you wouldn't give Goff the same. That's what I find strange. I'll give Goff every bit of the benefit of the doubt I gave Bradford, why not?
I said I learned some lessons from my "all-in" approach with Bradford, sure. Why would i want to repeat the same mistakes? Isn't that pretty much the definition of insanity? I don't know why you would find it strange that I'm not ready to induct the kid. I'm merely going to evaluate his performance like every other player on the team with the same level of fairness. Why should he be afforded any special treatment? Because he was drafted at a certain spot? THAT is what should be considered strange.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
First of all Mel Kiper Jr. is a respected draft evaluator. Yes he had some wrong predictions but from what I see and I believe, I think Goff's footwork and pocket presence is that of a Peyton Manning or better. The problem is that you guys are hesistant and skeptical, which is understandable and so far acceptable, but you're not taking into account that he didn't have first team reps with them in the offseason. Didn't get first team reps til the Dolphins game. Jeff Fisher publicly kept saying he wasn't ready yet and suggested that he wouldn't play him until there playoff hopes were out of the question and that's the psychological aspect. You have a tight ends coach as your offensive coordinator. Then you have a heisman bust in Chris Weinke as your QB coach.....

He is in the absolute worst situation possible for a rookie quarterback. Garbage scheme, garbage teammates (except for Pharoh Cooper), surrounded by Quitters (same exception),Garbage coaches...

Trust me I get everything that you're saying that's why I have never called Goff a bust or even said he will be one. But I kept asking when Goff was drafted about what made him special and all I heard was footwork. Not arm strength, accuracy anticipation not mental toughness just footwork and pocket presence. That's all fine and good but I still don't see anything that is changing my opinion of Goff. That's why I'm giving him next year to change my opinion cause right now I wish we wouldn't have drafted a QB and went with Mannion

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I said I learned some lessons from my "all-in" approach with Bradford, sure. Why would i want to repeat the same mistakes? Isn't that pretty much the definition of insanity? I don't know why you would find it strange that I'm not ready to induct the kid. I'm merely going to evaluate his performance like every other player on the team with the same level of fairness. Why should he be afforded any special treatment? Because he was drafted at a certain spot? THAT is what should be considered strange.
I don't know why it was a mistake? You back a player, you see the bright side of things. That's part of being a homer.
I think its fair to say that you gave Keenum a lot of the same benefit. Don't know why the line gets drawn at Goff.
To each there own, I guess I'm just disappointed that I always liked reading your positive approach and defense to knee jerk reactions when the QB didn't play as well as hoped. Heck ROD itself was a nice respite from "The Bradford Bashers".
I don't see any insanity about it, we have no affect on the ultimate play of the QB or team.
But, to each there own

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The reason I'm guarded in my optimism, is because I spent five years suggesting Bradford only needed this or that to become one of the greats.

The only question I have with this is that I wonder how much Fisher hurt Bradford's development. He does have a cannon for an arm, and pretty good accuracy too, but I don't believe he ever gained the confidence to use it under Fisher. Remember Captain Checkdown? In my opinion, that was more on Fisher than Bradford. I honestly thought Bradford would become a better QB after he left the Rams. Maybe he's too old to get better now, but I wonder if Bradford ever really got comfortable in any offense, given the fact that he's never really had time to get comfortable in any system!!

And to the Goff doubters... give the kid a chance! Pro quarterbacks need time to adjust to the speed of the game. Everybody knows that!

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think the main difference is when you talk about Bradford and Goff is to me at least when Bradford drop back and releases the ball it's a thing of beauty even if it's a drop pass or an interception every time he threw I was just like wow. But with Goff everything is clumsy his drop back his release his throwing motion it just doesn't look or feel natural to him. I think that's why people gave Bradford a lot more slack because you could see what type of QB he could become and he face the same if not more adversity Goff is facing now. Goff just doesn't have the look of a QB that will be great to elite.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think the main difference is when you talk about Bradford and Goff is to me at least when Bradford drop back and releases the ball it's a thing of beauty even if it's a drop pass or an interception every time he threw I was just like wow. But with Goff everything is clumsy his drop back his release his throwing motion it just doesn't look or feel natural to him. I think that's why people gave Bradford a lot more slack because you could see what type of QB he could become and he face the same if not more adversity Goff is facing now. Goff just doesn't have the look of a QB that will be great to elite.
Sounds to me like you were a fan of Bradford but not so much on Goff. I think both guys look great when having time to set and throw. And both guys looked like spaz when being bull rushed. Both release are pretty to watch. Bradford may have thrown the tighter spiral, but Goff has the quicker release. Both a pleasure to watch IMO

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I don't know why it was a mistake? You back a player, you see the bright side of things. That's part of being a homer.
I think its fair to say that you gave Keenum a lot of the same benefit. Don't know why the line gets drawn at Goff.
To each there own, I guess I'm just disappointed that I always liked reading your positive approach and defense to knee jerk reactions when the QB didn't play as well as hoped. Heck ROD itself was a nice respite from "The Bradford Bashers".
I don't see any insanity about it, we have no affect on the ultimate play of the QB or team.
But, to each there own
Again, I didn't say I wouldn't back him. And while I was backing Keenum, I also pointed out when he didn't play well. I didn't ever call the rest of the team garbage because he threw an interception or took a sack either - which is apparently the ONLY possible reason Goff didn't play well. I did debate a couple of interceptions or incompletions that I thought weren't Keenum's fault (and I was correct), but that doesn't mean I defended him at all costs. And I'll absolutely do the same for Goff if I see him being unfairly criticized. I think you're under the impression that holding him to the same standards as everyone else makes one a "basher". Is that the label I'm going to get if I suggest he didn't play as well as he could? Because that would be a shame. To that end, it still doesn't mean I'm going to spend my time looking at the negative or railing on him if he doesn't play well. That's one thing that hasn't changed for me and never will. I don't call players garbage, idiots, quitters, or anything else. I simply point out where they're falling short or failing to live up to expectations. If you want me to be someone or something else, I'm sorry -- I just can't help you.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sounds to me like you were a fan of Bradford but not so much on Goff. I think both guys look great when having time to set and throw. And both guys looked like spaz when being bull rushed. Both release are pretty to watch. Bradford may have thrown the tighter spiral, but Goff has the quicker release. Both a pleasure to watch IMO

I liked Goff in college I don't like the draft pick maybe if we had the number 1 pick and drafted him it would be better but Goff have never had to do any QB things in college except get the play and throw. He has too many holes in his game to have been a number 1 pick and for us to trade up for him I think that was a mistake

Scirca

Rookie
Amazing that St Jared was able to even wake up in the morning with that level of suck awaiting him. This is the reason why people don't take Goff fan boys seriously, by the way. You just insulted the entire team (grossly) and protected him like a baby. Where are all the people who thought the Rams only needed him to start the season and get all the first team reps from day one in order to make the playoffs? Would that have all of a sudden made the entire team and coaches NOT garbage?

I'm not babying him, I'm just calling it like I see it. This team is garbage on the offensive side of the ball before he came in. Nothing really changed. The same people who came to collect checks were the same people quitting on routes and looking for the Jeff Fisher Holiday Inn. Jared Goff came from an even worse situation in that his Cal team was worse than this Rams team and he overcame it @Dxmissile (it's one of the reason's outside of football that I really hold Goff in high regard). Sam Bradford didn't have that kind of adversity coming out of Oklahoma. (For whom I have lost all respect for as a school and as a football program).

Any competent coach(who isn't the laughingstock of the NFL) would have realized that he should have been starting from day 1 and adjusted his system to be more Rookie QB friendly system. Jeff Fisher is a horrible coach, who implented a horrible supporting staff.

And another thing, whenever the offense was clicking, the defense fell apart. When the defense fell apart the offense played good. Who's to be blamed for that.

Edit: Also I don't like that you compare Case Keenum to Jared Goff. One is a rookie coming from a different system and no first team reps in the off season, to a guy who was almost as bad as Carson Wentz (post week 3-15).

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
"Get that hunger back" is not a statement I like hearing about our guys.
Its pretty obvious from Donald's quotes, Goff's quotes stating weed out players as part of the change in culture and other quotes made by some of the players, that they think some in their locker room were to comfortable with the way things have been.

Scirca

Rookie
I liked Goff in college I don't like the draft pick maybe if we had the number 1 pick and drafted him it would be better but Goff have never had to do any QB things in college except get the play and throw. He has too many holes in his game to have been a number 1 pick and for us to trade up for him I think that was a mistake

That's not true. He changed protection plans, he adjusted routes, he audibled plays. He was given total control of the offense at Cal. He knows how to read coverage, and go through reads. He came from a pro style offense, which he ran in high school. He is a Jeff Tedford's recruited player.(Same guy who recruited Aaron Rodgers.)

I don't think you've ever seen me list Goff's weaknesses:

1. He tends to get lazy on his accuracy when it comes to short yard passes.
2. He is a hot or cold kind of Quarterback. Think Ben Roethlisberger.
3. He sometimes gets fooled by zone coverage.
4. Is a little skinny, needs to add a bit more weight to his frame. Right now, I'm assuming he is 225, maybe get his weight up to 235.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Edit: Also I don't like that you compare Case Keenum to Jared Goff. One is a rookie coming from a different system and no first team reps in the off season, to a guy who was almost as bad as Carson Wentz (post week 3-15).
You just spent all that time complaining about all the adversity Goff went through, and you're going to ignore the fact that Keenum played for 3 Head Coaches on two bad teams with 4 different coordinators in 24 starts? You're right. In that sense, there is no comparison. Keenum had it much worse. But I don't compare the two from a talent standpoint. Anyone with eyes can see that Goff has more pure talent as a passer. He's yet to demonstrate the ability to process information and 'trust' receivers the same way though. It's funny how Keenum trusted the same idiot quitters that Goff isn't expected to trust, though. What does that tell you about Goff, if anything?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
One at a time....and real slow...cause I like you jrry;):cool:
Drew Brees first year, he really didn't play...didn't start...but his 2nd year
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/sdg/2002.htm
8-8
320-526, 60% comp. , 3284 yards passing, 17 tds, 16 ints
First year on the field
3rd year, 2nd as a starter
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/sdg/2003.htm
4-12
In 11 games
205-356, 57% comp., 2100 yards passing, 11 tds, 15 ints
4th year, 3rd year starter
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/sdg/2004.htm
11-4
262-402, 65% completions, 3100 yards passing, 27 tds, 7 ints
Drew Brees has arrived
When Drew FIRST got on the field, you could SEE he could PLAY. Hell, he could play in college...He played some great games and BEAT some very good B1G teams. No comparison...other than they are QB's that play pro football.
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BreeDr00.htm
Worst season, his second playing he was 2-9....worst record for thbe rest of his career was 7-9...but he's always been a stud, other than that 2-9 season.

C'mon, Champ. He barely touched the field his rookie year. He played quite poorly over his second and third years. So poorly that the Chargers ended up with a #1 pick and took a QB to replace him.

But yes, go through it real slow. I'm sure you could see he could "play" even when his production didn't show it, even when the Chargers didn't see it, and even when Marty Schottenheimer didn't see it. You, Champ, saw it immediately. ;)

I like you, Champ, but the lengths you're going right now to defend yourself as Nostradamus are a bit over the top.

Quick had 40 catches for 500+ yards on an inferior offensive team. If Quick can't play on Sundays, what the hell is Tavon doing on the field? Throw him Tavons targets, he'd have Britt numbers.

Tavon had 900+ yards of offense and 9 offensive TDs last year. That's why he gets on the field.(well, that and being a top 10 pick)

Quick can't play. And Goff didn't trust him by the end of the year. Who could blame him. Brian Quick quit on this team.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/P/PalmCa00.htm
Correction, Carson Palmer has been a phenomanal QB for MOST of his Career. I think he only had less than 3500 yards ONCE when he played 13 games...His rookie year...and he was no slouch as a rookie...check HIS completion percentage.
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/cin/2004.htm

He didn't play his rookie year. Jon Kitna did. Palmer's third and fourth years in the NFL were great (2nd and 3rd years as a starter). He then spent the next 7 years as a middling QB (decent at best) until he broke out under Arians.

I stand by what I said. Carson Palmer was a "decent" QB for much of his career.

RGIII was one of the most exciting players of this time as a ROOKIE....He hasn't lost that...Nor has he lost his strong arm. His problems are similar to Sam Bradford. He can't stay healthy.

Champ, this comes off as delusional. RGIII was demoted to scout team safety because the Redskins didn't think he could play QB well enough. His play has been straight up bad since the end of his rookie year. It has nothing to do with staying healthy. He's sucked when on the field.

He was an extremely exciting rookie. Then, the NFL figured him out. All his physical talent doesn't make a bit of a difference because he processes things slowly, he has terrible instincts in the pocket, and he lacks mechanical polish. Basically, he's an elite physical talent who lacks mental acuity, instincts, and technical skill. And it shows. He's one of the worst starters in the NFL right now as a 5th year player.

But instead of going on about how much I think RGIII sucks, I'll let Chris Cooley pick it up from here:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-the-redskins-offense/?utm_term=.c9e1e8f01ec1

I do like strong arms...Believe it or not, I learned that from watching Rams football..we get big strong QB's that throw the deep ball...We get fast receivers...that's the Rams WAY. Or had been. Seems we've lost our way...wco??? are you serious...never been us...power run, throw the PA deep ball. Rams offensive football.

It needs to be us now. You can adapt to the modern NFL, or you can lose.

I like QB's that can process info quickly, be accurate, and all that. But that takes time...Being tough, able to throw deep doesn't. They come outta college doing that. And Goff has only shown the ability to get pounded. That's not enough to win in 2016

Yes, it does take time. But that's what separates the Tom Bradys of the world from the RGIIIs of the world. If you admit it takes time, maybe you should give the QB some time before writing him off.

Bradford has considerably more talent than Goff...

Bradford was more physically talented than Goff. Yes, that is true. Bradford's arm talent is on par with almost anyone in the NFL (excluding guys like Rodgers, Stafford, etc.).

But Bradford lacked footwork and instincts in the pocket. Most of all, Bradford lacked durability. If Bradford had durability, he'd still be our QB imo.

Last edited:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You just spent all that time complaining about all the adversity Goff went through, and you're going to ignore the fact that Keenum played for 3 Head Coaches on two bad teams with 4 different coordinators in 24 starts? You're right. In that sense, there is no comparison. Keenum had it much worse. But I don't compare the two from a talent standpoint. Anyone with eyes can see that Goff has more pure talent as a passer. He's yet to demonstrate the ability to process information and 'trust' receivers the same way though. It's funny how Keenum trusted the same idiot quitters that Goff isn't expected to trust, though. What does that tell you about Goff, if anything?

Keenum was also trusting those guys at a different point in the season. Who knows what Keenum would have done in Week 17 with Brian Quick when he had visibly given shit effort for weeks and mailed in the Week 17 game after catching the 1 pass he needed for his incentive bonus.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Keenum was also trusting those guys at a different point in the season. Who knows what Keenum would have done in Week 17 with Brian Quick when he had visibly given crap effort for weeks and mailed in the Week 17 game after catching the 1 pass he needed for his incentive bonus.
Who knows. I'm willing to bet he would let it fly anyway, though. That's his job.
You can't hold a QB accountable for receivers not catching the ball. That much we know.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Who knows. I'm willing to bet he would let it fly anyway, though. That's his job.
You can't hold a QB accountable for receivers not catching the ball. That much we know.

I agree. But as Charlie Weis told us, Tom Brady refused to throw to players he didn't trust. I can't fault Goff if he's the same way.

If I were in his shoes, I'm not putting myself out there for Brian Quick. In fact, I'd be chewing out Rams coaches on the sidelines for putting him on the field.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
My ROD brethren....
Look at the first 2 drives vs Az...what do you see? Was the team trying? Or was Goff so inadequate he took all life from them? Just because you get hit, hurried , sacked doesn't excuse the lack of talent.

Steve Young was a beast. Not only in the USFL, but also at Tampa.
RGIII can play...Always could play. His problem is durability, not lack of arm talent. I like Brees in college...I liked him more in the pros...again, basic, simple throws, Brees wasn't missing....throwing the ball all over the place. Several teams wanted him b4 the devastating shoulder injury.

Quick has the talent to succeed in this game. Be a player. A difference maker. Goff appears to be JAG. As the #1 overall player picked, you just can't have that and become a successful team/franchise.
Just started to watch the replay of the AZ game...I was noticing Carson Palmer, a guy I also saw as a freshman in college. Several of them live. He always had "IT"...Goff doesn't. He may become a decent player. Didn't know you drafted decent players first overall. In fact, I'm sure you don't.
Only one that can convince me that my beliefs are false is Jared Goff. I hope Demoff shows him these type of threads and it spurs some type of work ethic in the man.
Quick will be lucky to get another shot anywhere.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I agree. But as Charlie Weis told us, Tom Brady refused to throw to players he didn't trust. I can't fault Goff if he's the same way.
If that's actually the case.
We don't know if that's the reason he didn't pull the trigger sometimes.
If it is, then yeah. I wouldn't blame him for that. But then again, just don't look his way if that's the case.