Jared Goff: "I promise you guys it will get fixed. Everything in my heart and soul."

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I agree. Does anybody think RG3 is all that smart. He played in a similar offense in college and yet the Redskins created an offense he could call and play well. They tailored it to his skills and experience. I heared in one game from the announcer that some of the rams plays calls had 17 words in it. Crap, you tell me your phone number the first time and you will have to tell 3 more times before I can repeat it. They couldn't find a simpler way to make a play call. I bet RG3 didn't make any call that long. No, it was the way the coaching went about getting him ready.
The NFL doesn't work like that it might work for the first year keeping things simple but the redskin tailored their offense around his legs meaning QB runs, bootlegs, playaction things like that. Goff doesn't have the athleticism to pull something like that off. Or did you wanna run no huddle all game because that was basically his game in college no huddle shotgun first read throw. I would love for it to be that simple it just isn't. I'm not a Goff guy but I damn sure hope he succeeds because that means this team win at the end of the day I want the best players on the field so We can accomplish that

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The NFL doesn't work like that it might work for the first year keeping things simple

That's exactly how the NFL works for most rookie QBs. You simplify and build a scheme around what they do best. You build on it as they get more comfortable and experienced. That's why other teams manage to have their QBs ready by Day One. That's why other rookie QBs, even former spread QBs, are able to make the transition to the NFL. It's not the old school way of doing things, which is why Fisher didn't do it.

but the redskin tailored their offense around his legs meaning QB runs, bootlegs, playaction things like that. Goff doesn't have the athleticism to pull something like that off.

Goff absolutely has the athleticism to utilize QB boots, sprints, and other ways of getting him out of the pocket. The problem with that is you need a running game to utilize those sorts of things. You need the DE, who is often unblocked, to crash down on the run. We couldn't sell the run this year.

Or did you wanna run no huddle all game because that was basically his game in college no huddle shotgun first read throw. I would love for it to be that simple it just isn't. I'm not a Goff guy but I damn sure hope he succeeds because that means this team win at the end of the day I want the best players on the field so We can accomplish that

Not accurate at all. His college system was built around progressions.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That's exactly how the NFL works for most rookie QBs. You simplify and build a scheme around what they do best. You build on it as they get more comfortable and experienced. That's why other teams manage to have their QBs ready by Day One. That's why other rookie QBs, even former spread QBs, are able to make the transition to the NFL. It's not the old school way of doing things, which is why Fisher didn't do it.

Goff absolutely has the athleticism to utilize QB boots, sprints, and other ways of getting him out of the pocket. The problem with that is you need a running game to utilize those sorts of things. You need the DE, who is often unblocked, to crash down on the run. We couldn't sell the run this year.

Not accurate at all. His college system was built around progressions.

Goff could do rollouts because the pocket moves with you but comparing that to what the redskins did for RG3 is craZy. Comparing Goff atheliticism to RG3 is crazy. Goff isn't an option QB never was not even in his ALL WORLD college career. What made the redskins so good was the threat of RG3 running so when he ran the option route the defense didn't know whether to stop him or Alfred Morris and you see that was Morris most successful year.

His college system was first read throw. Doesn't mean that he didn't occasionally scan the field I never said he couldn't do it or didn't do it.

I said that you could maybe simplify things for the first year and get away with it but what about the 2nd yr the 3 rd year. It's easier to simplify things with a dual threat QB but by everyone admission Goff is a pocket passer it's kind of hard to simplify that especially since the guy never had snaps under center. Yeah they should have let him operate more outside of the pocket but Goff isn't a scrambler he isn't a runner so you risk him getting hurt. Now if you're talking about the play calls yeah they should have shorten that up but how do we know they didn't how do we know if they did and that's what allowed him to catch up.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That's exactly how the NFL works for most rookie QBs. You simplify and build a scheme around what they do best. You build on it as they get more comfortable and experienced. That's why other teams manage to have their QBs ready by Day One. That's why other rookie QBs, even former spread QBs, are able to make the transition to the NFL.
Boom
There it is.
Newton and Mariota were from offenses in college that were as unconventional as can be. Cam threw for 4 hundo in his first start and MM booked a perfect QB rating in his.
And neither looked impressive in pre-season

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Boom
There it is.
Newton and Mariota were from offenses in college that were as unconventional as can be. Cam threw for 4 hundo in his first start and MM booked a perfect QB rating in his.
And neither looked impressive in pre-season

Both are dual threat qbs and newton arm is stronger and he is much better then Goff was coming out of college. Like I said in my previous reply it's much easier to simplify things when you have a dual threat QB instead of a pocket passer that only knows shotgun. Unless you just want to leave him out to dry.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Both are dual threat qbs and newton arm is stronger and he is much better then Goff was coming out of college. Like I said in my previous reply it's much easier to simplify things when you have a dual threat QB instead of a pocket passer that only knows shotgun. Unless you just want to leave him out to dry.
Because defenses become easier to read? Cmon man that's just silly.
And Newton showed nothing of Goff's passing ability in his 1 season of college ball

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Because defenses become easier to read? Cmon man that's just silly.
And Newton showed nothing of Goff's passing ability in his 1 season of college ball

Not because defenses become easier to read but because it makes defenses react. They ran a lot of option in newton first year they ran a lot of boot legs and newton arm is 10x better than Goff arm will ever be. What's silly is thinking that dumbing down our playbook would have suddenly made Goff understand defense and how to spot the blitz how to take a snap under center. Some things can't be simplified and those things was Goff main problem

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Always displayed a stronger arm.

Does anybody think RG3 is all that smart. He played in a similar offense in college and yet the Redskins created an offense he could call and play well. They tailored it to his skills and experience.
I actually think Robert is pretty bright. Military raised. Disciplined. I'll say this again. Robert appeared to be snake bit with injuries. And like most QB's I like, he always threw a fantastic deep ball.
As far a similar offenses. While both appear spread based, no huddle, and those funny looking sideline play cards used to call plays, the Air Raid offense, from which Goff arises, has NEVER had a successful QB go to the pros and duplicate its success. Not sure why. But again, if Goff succeeds, he will be the first. I think...just me..but I think that the lack of combination routes, with the throws not needing much arm strength, may put many of these air-raid QB's behind in crucial development of being able to recognize route combinations. Basically, if the receiver isn't wide open, Air Raid QB's don't see it soon enough...and take sacks.

Last edited:

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not because defenses become easier to read but because it makes defenses react. They ran a lot of option in newton first year they ran a lot of boot legs and newton arm is 10x better than Goff arm will ever be. What's silly is thinking that dumbing down our playbook would have suddenly made Goff understand defense and how to spot the blitz how to take a snap under center. Some things can't be simplified and those things was Goff main problem
Arm strength has nothing to do with it, and you aren't understanding the concept.
Newton looked lost that pre-season but was ready to go game 1.
Why? Because they ran the plays that he was most comfortable with
Same with Mariota
With the Rams? They insisted on him fitting their system, which is/was a joke. In fact, Keenum ran many more plays from shotgun.
Don't misunderstand, I am not trying to say that Goff would have been Cam Newton, that would be ridiculous. But he could have been set up for success like every other QB that has started day 1 by being coached better.
Doesn't matter what level of football, coaching 101 demands that the QB confidence grows. and the Rams did nothing to work on his.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Arm strength has nothing to do with it, and you aren't understanding the concept.
Newton looked lost that pre-season but was ready to go game 1.
Why? Because they ran the plays that he was most comfortable with
Same with Mariota
With the Rams? They insisted on him fitting their system, which is/was a joke. In fact, Keenum ran many more plays from shotgun.
Don't misunderstand, I am not trying to say that Goff would have been Cam Newton, that would be ridiculous. But he could have been set up for success like every other QB that has started day 1 by being coached better.
Doesn't matter what level of football, coaching 101 demands that the QB confidence grows. and the Rams did nothing to work on his.

You missing the point the discussion was about simplifying the offense which is a lot easier to do when you have a dual threat QB. Goff never was under center in college with a passer like Goff it's hard to simplify the game when he don't know how to read NFL defenses or take snaps under center

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You missing the point the discussion was about simplifying the offense which is a lot easier to do when you have a dual threat QB. Goff never was under center in college with a passer like Goff it's hard to simplify the game when he don't know how to read NFL defenses or take snaps under center
Going around in circles, Mariota nor Newton read defenses and also took all their snaps from shot gun. But they playbook they ran exploited plays that were in their comfort zone
Same with Dak this year. They opened up the offense for him as the year progressed
Its what coaches do....

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Going around in circles, Mariota nor Newton read defenses and also took all their snaps from shot gun. But they playbook they ran exploited plays that were in their comfort zone
Same with Dak this year. They opened up the offense for him as the year progressed
Its what coaches do....

They can take shotgun snaps because they are still a threat to RUN the ball. Tell me out of shotgun how many things can Goff do..

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
meh...prove it.
Ryan Mallet has never looked as bad as Goff did either.
Its so not the point of the discussion.
The point was, Newton did not have a passing resume from college yet there he was beasting it on opening day

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They can take shotgun snaps because they are still a threat to RUN the ball. Tell me out of shotgun how many things can Goff do..
Run a 2 minute, no huddle offense. His comfort zone. See New Orleans