Jared Goff: "I promise you guys it will get fixed. Everything in my heart and soul."

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
RGIII can play...Always could play. His problem is durability, not lack of arm talent. I like Brees in college...I liked him more in the pros...again, basic, simple throws, Brees wasn't missing....throwing the ball all over the place. Several teams wanted him b4 the devastating shoulder injury.

RGIII hasn't been able to play since his rookie year. Durability has nothing to do with it. Neither does a lack of arm talent. You seem to equate arm talent with success. Mental acuity, skill (mechanics and other components of technique), and instincts are more important than arm talent. RGIII lacks those things. If there's anyone who can fix him, it's Hue Jackson. We'll see if it happens. But he's failed for the same reasons that Kaepernick has turned into a failure.

You're revising history on Brees. Brees looked bad his first three years in the NFL. He had a completion percentage below 60%, his YPA was right around 6, and he threw more Ints than TDs. He played poorly enough that the Chargers ended up with the #1 pick after his third year in the NFL. The Chargers made the Eli Manning trade and asked for Philip Rivers in return to fix their QB situation.

Brees broke out immediately after they drafted Rivers with the #4 pick. If you judge QBs based on 7 games in the NFL, there's no way you would have liked Brees after 3 years and 32 starts.

How about Eli Manning? Nah. I already know the answer. Despite his four years of struggles, you also liked him. Because you don't get it wrong. ;)

Quick has the talent to succeed in this game. Be a player. A difference maker. Goff appears to be JAG. As the #1 overall player picked, you just can't have that and become a successful team/franchise.
Just started to watch the replay of the AZ game...I was noticing Carson Palmer, a guy I also saw as a freshman in college. Several of them live. He always had "IT"...Goff doesn't. He may become a decent player. Didn't know you drafted decent players first overall. In fact, I'm sure you don't.
Only one that can convince me that my beliefs are false is Jared Goff. I hope Demoff shows him these type of threads and it spurs some type of work ethic in the man.

You're digging this hole deeper. Brian Quick quit on this team. I don't care what talent he has. He can't play on Sundays. There are plenty of guys who had a hell of a lot of talent that couldn't get the job done. Troy Williamson is a perfect example of that. Brian Quick doesn't have the ability. He doesn't have "IT." And he especially doesn't have the heart.

He's a quitter. He's mentally weak. And he's mistake prone. No QB wants to deal with that. Goff didn't trust him in Week 17. And he was right not to trust him. The Rams shouldn't have played Quick. Quick gave pathetic effort after he got the 1 catch he needed for his incentive bonus.

There have been a lot of decent players drafted #1 overall. That's the nature of the draft. In fact, Carson Palmer was only a decent player for much of his career. If Goff turns out to be a decent player, that's still a win (I'd happily take a QB who can provide the level of play that guys like Alex Smith, Andy Dalton, and Matt Stafford have). But I bet he turns out to be more than that.

Scirca

Rookie
RGIII hasn't been able to play since his rookie year. Durability has nothing to do with it. Neither does a lack of arm talent. You seem to equate arm talent with success. Mental acuity, skill (mechanics and other components of technique), and instincts are more important than arm talent. RGIII lacks those things. If there's anyone who can fix him, it's Hue Jackson. We'll see if it happens. But he's failed for the same reasons that Kaepernick has turned into a failure.

You're revising history on Brees. Brees looked bad his first three years in the NFL. He had a completion percentage below 60%, his YPA was right around 6, and he threw more Ints than TDs. He played poorly enough that the Chargers ended up with the #1 pick after his third year in the NFL. The Chargers made the Eli Manning trade and asked for Philip Rivers in return to fix their QB situation.

Brees broke out immediately after they drafted Rivers with the #4 pick. If you judge QBs based on 7 games in the NFL, there's no way you would have liked Brees after 3 years and 32 starts.

How about Eli Manning? Nah. I already know the answer. Despite his four years of struggles, you also liked him. Because you don't get it wrong. ;)

You're digging this hole deeper. Brian Quick quit on this team. I don't care what talent he has. He can't play on Sundays. There are plenty of guys who had a hell of a lot of talent that couldn't get the job done. Troy Williamson is a perfect example of that. Brian Quick doesn't have the ability. He doesn't have "IT." And he especially doesn't have the heart.

He's a quitter. He's mentally weak. And he's mistake prone. No QB wants to deal with that. Goff didn't trust him in Week 17. And he was right not to trust him. The Rams shouldn't have played Quick. Quick gave pathetic effort after he got the 1 catch he needed for his incentive bonus.

There have been a lot of decent players drafted #1 overall. That's the nature of the draft. In fact, Carson Palmer was only a decent player for much of his career. If Goff turns out to be a decent player, that's still a win (I'd happily take a QB who can provide the level of play that guys like Alex Smith, Andy Dalton, and Matt Stafford have). But I bet he turns out to be more than that.

Again I believe Jared Goff will turn out to be a Peyton Manning with a better arm @LACHAMP46 . That's what I voted for in the Jared Goff Big Ol' what... thread and I'm going to stick to it.

Last edited:

tbux

Rookie
Words are great- saying all the things you want him to. Truth is he wasn't ready this year- but at least he got a taste. Bottom line is= does he have the drive, intelligence to be a great one. Next year will speak volumes to that.

Scirca

Rookie
Words are great- saying all the things you want him to. Truth is he wasn't ready this year- but at least he got a taste. Bottom line is= does he have the drive, intelligence to be a great one. Next year will speak volumes to that.

I honestly blame the coaches for this horrible season.

Somethings are just unforgivable, i.e. Our wide receivers running routes short of the 3rd down marker. 14 points given up.. TWICE in the 4th quarter which led to comeback (CB's playing off coverage 10 yards... WTF). The offensive penalties out the booty.

Jeff Fisher.... Jeff Bleaping Fisher.....

Mr. "I want to get back at the Rams for firing me" Fisher.
Mr. 7-9 B.S.
Mr. "Goff's not ready yet, lets not have him get first team reps with the team in the offseason" Fisher.
Mr. "I want 3 points (instead of 7), it's fine.. lets not use our 3 timeouts before the end of the first half of the Saints game because we can waste a first down and spike the ball.." Fisher

Let's talk about Rob Boras and his clown scheme. He was predictable, horrible play-calling. First down play-calling was even worse. This is a team built for running yet makes Tod Gurley look like a scrub. Middle School offense (and that's offensive to middle school offenses everywhere, and I've played in one, and we never ran what he ran.. ever.)

There is absolutely no urgency in his play-calling. I think we ran a no huddle once with Goff which is his specialty. Lack of 2 minute drill. Conservative play-calling....

FRO

Legend
Here's what I see as the bottom line for Goff: He didn't play well as a rookie, but he isn't a bust. History shows a bunch of very good QBs who played poorly as rookies. Next year will be a big year for Goff. He must play better.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I recently found a thread on another website from after Aaron Rodgers's rookie year. Packers fans were talking about whether they wanted to keep him or not. Many were of the opinion that they should try to trade him for a 2nd round pick and trade up for Vince Young.

What stood out to me was that there was a group of Packers fans who were insistent that Rodgers was going to be a bust. They were sure of it. He looked awful in the preseason and then struggled in his limited playing time behind Favre. They talked about how he looked lost on the field, rattled by pressure, and had no pocket presence.

There was another group of Packers fans who felt that Rodgers could be great if given time and patience. They talked about how he was constantly hit in the few snaps he had but still showed positive traits. They talked about how good his college tape was and that he deserved time to actually develop before being judged.

There was also a group of Packers fans who were uncertain and took the wait and see approach.(some were okay with trading him)

My point here is that was Aaron fucking Rodgers. The guy who is making an argument that he's a better player at his best than Manning or Brady were. The guy who just tore apart a top tier Giants defense in the playoffs. There were quite a few people that were all too certain he wasn't going to amount to anything after his rookie year. But the Packers changed coaches, he developed under Mike McCarthy, and he became a HOF QB.

Now, I'm sure you can find the same sort of things for busts too (like Vince Young). There will be guys saying throw in the towel, guys sure about him, and guys who take the wait and see approach.

My lesson here is that all of you who are certain that he's a bust might want to take a step back and reconsider if you have enough facts to make that determination. And yes, I realize that I'm a hypocrite because I am certain he'll succeed. But hey, you don't want to be that guy everybody is laughing at in 10 years because you threw in the proverbial towel on the next Aaron Rodgers after his rookie year. ;)

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I honestly blame the coaches for this horrible season.

Let's talk about Rob Boras and his clown scheme. He was predictable, horrible play-calling. First down play-calling was even worse. This is a team built for running yet makes Tod Gurley look like a scrub. Middle School offense (and that's offensive to middle school offenses everywhere, and I've played in one, and we never ran what he ran.. ever.)

Couldn't possibly agree more. The coaching on the offensive side of the ball was beyond atrocious, and bears the overwhelming majority of the responsibility for turning 2016 into the absolute sh!t-show it became. From the beginning, I'm not sure they ever had much of a vision for Goff as anything more than becoming the league's most talented game manager. The way they approached his development was awful, doing nothing to tailor the offense to his strengths, emphasizing Keenum's readiness over Goff's, and so on.

Furthermore, if I didn't know better, I would think Boras had actually been trying design a scheme that made our offensive line look bad by magnifying their weaknesses and negating their strengths.

The playcalling was also baffling in its predictability and lack of imagination. It's all the more frustrating because it seemed as though Boras was not half bad at playcalling last year when he took over for Cignetti, .

All in all, the offensive coaching this season was a textbook definition of epic fail.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I am not certain that he will succeed.
I am not certain that he will be a bust.
I am 100% certain that nobody knows what his future will be based on the 7 games he has played

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
My lesson here is that all of you who are certain that he's a bust might want to take a step back and reconsider if you have enough facts to make that determination. And yes, I realize that I'm a hypocrite because I am certain he'll succeed. But hey, you don't want to be that guy everybody is laughing at in 10 years because you threw in the proverbial towel on the next Aaron Rodgers after his rookie year. ;)
Speaking just for me, I'm not suggesting he'll be a bust. But I am extremely guarded in my optimism at this point. I realize he hasn't had a great supporting cast, and coaching probably wasn't all it could be, but he really doesn't look the part right now. The reason I'm guarded in my optimism, is because I spent five years suggesting Bradford only needed this or that to become one of the greats. 7 years later, he only looks "good". If I have to spend the next 5 years making excuses for Goff too, I'm going to be extremely disappointed - and quite frankly, I don't think I have it in me. Especially when I consider there are so many people who are calling others dumb for not recognizing the greatness he displayed in college. It's college. Players sometimes look all-world there. What matters is how he adjusts to a markedly different level of competition and pressure. That's the lesson I learned from Bradford, and I don't intend to make the same mistake. I won't be anti-Goff the whole time he's here, mind you, but I'm not going to evaluate him on potential alone anymore. It's the NFL. Sometimes you're not going to have the best line or all-Pro receivers; and the guy manning the most important position in all of sports sometimes has to display the ability to overcome adversity.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Speaking just for me, I'm not suggesting he'll be a bust. But I am extremely guarded in my optimism at this point. I realize he hasn't had a great supporting cast, and coaching probably wasn't all it could be, but he really doesn't look the part right now. The reason I'm guarded in my optimism, is because I spent five years suggesting Bradford only needed this or that to become one of the greats. 7 years later, he only looks "good". If I have to spend the next 5 years making excuses for Goff too, I'm going to be extremely disappointed - and quite frankly, I don't think I have it in me. Especially when I consider there are so many people who are calling others dumb for not recognizing the greatness he displayed in college. It's college. Players sometimes look all-world there. What matters is how he adjusts to a markedly different level of competition and pressure. That's the lesson I learned from Bradford, and I don't intend to make the same mistake. I won't be anti-Goff the whole time he's here, mind you, but I'm not going to evaluate him on potential alone anymore. It's the NFL. Sometimes you're not going to have the best line or all-Pro receivers; and the guy manning the most important position in all of sports sometimes has to display the ability to overcome adversity.
I feel the same way.

Ram65

Legend

The early Golf assessment could be eerily similar to Bradford. This could lead to excuses made for Bradford if Goff doesn't develop enough to fill he draft position. They both have physical talent but, Goff seems to have a different mental makeup. It's what he stated and feels about improving that started this thread. I'm putting a lot of faith in this. It's often hard as long time Rams fan to be objective about players I like. I will try to be objective on Goff's play and need to see more of it before I label him.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
One at a time....and real slow...cause I like you jrry;):cool:
You're revising history on Brees. Brees looked bad his first three years in the NFL. He had a completion percentage below 60%, his YPA was right around 6, and he threw more Ints than TDs. He played poorly enough that the Chargers ended up with the #1 pick after his third year in the NFL.
Drew Brees first year, he really didn't play...didn't start...but his 2nd year
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/sdg/2002.htm
8-8
320-526, 60% comp. , 3284 yards passing, 17 tds, 16 ints
First year on the field
3rd year, 2nd as a starter
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/sdg/2003.htm
4-12
In 11 games
205-356, 57% comp., 2100 yards passing, 11 tds, 15 ints
4th year, 3rd year starter
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/sdg/2004.htm
11-4
262-402, 65% completions, 3100 yards passing, 27 tds, 7 ints
Drew Brees has arrived
When Drew FIRST got on the field, you could SEE he could PLAY. Hell, he could play in college...He played some great games and BEAT some very good B1G teams. No comparison...other than they are QB's that play pro football.
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BreeDr00.htm
Worst season, his second playing he was 2-9....worst record for thbe rest of his career was 7-9...but he's always been a stud, other than that 2-9 season.
You're digging this hole deeper. Brian Quick quit on this team. I don't care what talent he has. He can't play on Sundays.
Quick had 40 catches for 500+ yards on an inferior offensive team. If Quick can't play on Sundays, what the hell is Tavon doing on the field? Throw him Tavons targets, he'd have Britt numbers.

In fact, Carson Palmer was only a decent player for much of his career.
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/P/PalmCa00.htm
Correction, Carson Palmer has been a phenomanal QB for MOST of his Career. I think he only had less than 3500 yards ONCE when he played 13 games...His rookie year...and he was no slouch as a rookie...check HIS completion percentage.
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/cin/2004.htm

RGIII hasn't been able to play since his rookie year. Durability has nothing to do with it. Neither does a lack of arm talent. You seem to equate arm talent with success.
RGIII was one of the most exciting players of this time as a ROOKIE....He hasn't lost that...Nor has he lost his strong arm. His problems are similar to Sam Bradford. He can't stay healthy.

I do like strong arms...Believe it or not, I learned that from watching Rams football..we get big strong QB's that throw the deep ball...We get fast receivers...that's the Rams WAY. Or had been. Seems we've lost our way...wco??? are you serious...never been us...power run, throw the PA deep ball. Rams offensive football.
I like QB's that can process info quickly, be accurate, and all that. But that takes time...Being tough, able to throw deep doesn't. They come outta college doing that. And Goff has only shown the ability to get pounded. That's not enough to win in 2016

The early Golf assessment could be eerily similar to Bradford.
Bradford has considerably more talent than Goff...

Scirca

Rookie
Bradford has considerably more talent than Goff...

I don't recall Mel Kiper Jr. saying Sam Bradford had the best footwork and pocket presence of any Quarterback past or present that he has ever seen or the same kind of ability to make 3rd and 4th reads. Jared Goff is something special.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I don't recall Mel Kiper Jr. saying Sam Bradford had the best footwork and pocket presence of any Quarterback past or present that he has ever seen. Jared Goff is something special.
I DO remember Mel Kiper jr. saying JaMarcus Russell was the BEST QB prospect he'd ever seen. Now what? And I like Mel...but that doesn't make him right.
Plus, these guys are now pros...Like X says, lets start evaluating them as PROS....and rookie pros, since that's what everyone is hung up on.
But lets play your game, Every scouting service puts a grade on a prospect. I bet you can't find ONE that has any QB in last years draft rated as high as Sam Bradford...Probably none rated as high a JaMarcus Russell either, for whatever that's worth. LOLOLOL

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't recall Mel Kiper Jr. saying Sam Bradford had the best footwork and pocket presence of any Quarterback past or present that he has ever seen or the same kind of ability to make 3rd and 4th reads. Jared Goff is something special.

Can we stop talking about footwork. That's all I have been hearing that's good about Goff since he was drafted. That footwork hasn't gotten him anywhere and Bradford is more talented then Goff that's not a knock on Goff maybe eventually he can become something more but Bradfords college career was better and Bradford has an elite arm, right now all Goff has is footwork

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
“Akili Smith will be a great NFL player and would finally provide the Cincinnati Bengals with the passer they’d lacked since Boomer Esiason.”
“If he (Clausen) is not a successful starting quarterback in the NFL, I’m done. That’s it. I’m out.”
“He (Andre Ware) will be an excellent NFL quarterback.”
“Three years from now you could be looking at a guy (Jamarcus Russell) that’s certainly one of the elite top 5 quarterbacks in the league.”
“His (Ryan Leaf's) attitude will be an asset in the NFL…”

Tell me why Kiper is all of a sudden the premier NFL Soothsayer?

Scirca

Rookie
I DO remember Mel Kiper jr. saying JaMarcus Russell was the BEST QB prospect he'd ever seen. Now what? And I like Mel...but that doesn't make him right.
Plus, these guys are now pros...Like X says, lets start evaluating them as PROS....and rookie pros, since that's what everyone is hung up on.
But lets play your game, Every scouting service puts a grade on a prospect. I bet you can't find ONE that has any QB in last years draft rated as high as Sam Bradford...Probably none rated as high a JaMarcus Russell either, for whatever that's worth. LOLOLOL

Can we stop talking about footwork. That's all I have been hearing that's good about Goff since he was drafted. That footwork hasn't gotten him anywhere and Bradford is more talented then Goff that's not a knock on Goff maybe eventually he can become something more but Bradfords college career was better and Bradford has an elite arm, right now all Goff has is footwork

“Akili Smith will be a great NFL player and would finally provide the Cincinnati Bengals with the passer they’d lacked since Boomer Esiason.”
“If he (Clausen) is not a successful starting quarterback in the NFL, I’m done. That’s it. I’m out.”
“He (Andre Ware) will be an excellent NFL quarterback.”
“Three years from now you could be looking at a guy (Jamarcus Russell) that’s certainly one of the elite top 5 quarterbacks in the league.”
“His (Ryan Leaf's) attitude will be an asset in the NFL…”

Tell me why Kiper is all of a sudden the premier NFL Soothsayer?

First of all Mel Kiper Jr. is a respected draft evaluator. Yes he had some wrong predictions but from what I see and I believe, I think Goff's footwork and pocket presence is that of a Peyton Manning or better. The problem is that you guys are hesistant and skeptical, which is understandable and so far acceptable, but you're not taking into account that he didn't have first team reps with them in the offseason. Didn't get first team reps til the Dolphins game. Jeff Fisher publicly kept saying he wasn't ready yet and suggested that he wouldn't play him until there playoff hopes were out of the question and that's the psychological aspect. You have a tight ends coach as your offensive coordinator. Then you have a heisman bust in Chris Weinke as your QB coach.....

He is in the absolute worst situation possible for a rookie quarterback. Garbage scheme, garbage teammates (except for Pharoh Cooper), surrounded by Quitters (same exception),Garbage coaches...

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The reason I'm guarded in my optimism, is because I spent five years suggesting Bradford only needed this or that to become one of the greats.
Well that's a shame, I wouldn't let one player disappointment carry on to the next. There's no correlation between the two, so why make one?
For me, hope springs eternal, and as a 40 year Rams fan I've sure had my downs. But why choose now?
Granted, there is no substitute for winning, but I've always been recharged with a new coach and/or a new QB.
Yeah, I'm just a homer at heart so I was pumped when Ferragamo came on the scene, Everett, heck I thought Chris Miller could have been something if his head stayed attached. Ok, I'll admit it, I thought Tony Banks could be the next Randall Cunningham....
Point being, it's more fun for me to root for the team when I'm entrenched in believing that better things are coming.
And sure, there comes a point when the illusion fades away but it sure takes more than 7 games, especially the way these 7 games played out. Anyway I get what you're saying, just find it surprising that I always thought of you as the ultimate homer that was invested in the helmet and the player in it, not the other way around.
Oh well, maybe that will change come draft time.
For me, I'll go back to homerism.
#Goffprobowl2017

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Point being, it's more fun for me to root for the team when I'm entrenched in believing that better things are coming.
I never said I'd do otherwise. You're confusing my reluctance to call Goff the GOAT with a reluctance to root for him. I'm simply not going to excuse his shortcomings and redirect it to everyone else on the team. Someone needs to remind me why it's okay to afford Goff years of patience and protect him with excuses while simultaneously rendering instant judgement on every other player on the offense. He's one guy and he deserves the same level of scrutiny everyone else gets, IMO. That said, I haven't judged him yet. So I think that needs to be made abundantly clear.