Jameis Winston Just Doesn't Get It

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
We need to higher this woman as our next QB scout, when the sexual encounter happened and when she first went to the police Winston was a back up freshman QB, a back up to a first round NFL draft pick, but she wisely identified Winston as a future Heisman winning QB, I doubt our scouting department would be able to do that.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...case-could-be-sign-of-things-to-come-for-nfl/

Winston case could be sign of things to come for NFL
Posted by Mike Florio on September 24, 2014

winston.jpg
AP

As Florida State quarterback Jameis Winston continues to do dumb things, the most troubling allegation against him continues to linger. And that most troubling allegation could soon be bubbling back to the surface.

Florida State has launched an internal investigation into the alleged sexual assault, and it intends to interview Winston. His lawyer, David Cornwell, has sent to Florida State a 13-page, single-spaced letter outlining flaws in the investigation, concerns about its fairness, and claims of extortion against the alleged victim.

The letter, a copy of which PFT has obtained, explains that the alleged victim’s lawyer met with Cornwell in February 2014 and demanded $7 million to settle her potential claims. “If we settle,” lawyer Patricia Carroll allegedly said to Cornwell, “you will never hear from my client or me again — in the press or anywhere.”

While indeed labeled as extortion by Cornwell, it’s common for potential plaintiffs in civil lawsuits to demand cash in exchange for a waiver of potential legal claims and silence. Typically, the first number requested is ridiculously high. The defendant often responds with a number that is ridiculously low, and the two sides chip away at the divide until a deal is either reached, or not.

With no settlement reached, Winston’s accuser continues to push the case against him, with a civil lawsuit apparently inevitable.

The situation has relevance to the NFL for two reasons. First, Winston likely will be carrying this specific item of baggage with him to the NFL draft in 2015 or 2016. (It’s hard to imagine him hanging around Tallahassee for another year in light of recent events.) Second, NFL players will be facing similar efforts to extort, pry, or otherwise squeeze money out of them, in light of the league’s new focus on domestic violence and sexual assault.

Suddenly, the victims of actual, perceived, exaggerated, and/or fabricated incidents of domestic violence have unprecedented power over the NFL players who allegedly engaged in misconduct. Faced with potentially lengthy suspensions with pay before trial and potentially lengthy suspensions without pay after the case ends, NFL players will have a strong incentive to write a check early, and to make it all go away.

Which in turn will attract lawyers who receive contingency fees to represent anyone who has the ability to exert that kind of leverage against someone with the resources to make a quick and large payment. Whether the payment is 25 percent, 33 percent, or 40 percent of the gross amount recovered, the best kind of contingency fee is the kind that comes without having to spend hundreds of hours preparing the case for trial and then rolling the dice in front of a judge and a jury.

Boy, if that isn't a hell of an incentive for any bone head that happens to be good at football to keep his shit straight, I don't know what it would take.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
So, I wonder why Winston is being targeted by the media? If he is such a great guy who's being falsely accused, what's the motivation to attack his character?

I wonder why people think he is a great guy considering the things he has done..........to me he seems like a jerk.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Boy, if that isn't a hell of an incentive for any bone head that happens to be good at football to keep his crap straight, I don't know what it would take.

You'd think that right!!!!!

But then look at all the athletes that have groupies throwing themselves at them (and any other athlete) that end up with 2-10 kids.

Didn't they learn a lesson from Magic.......wear a condom!

iced

http://www.tmz.com/2014/09/24/fsu-jameis-winston-rape-accuser-extortion-7-million/
Jameis Winston's lawyer has fired off a letter to Florida State University ... claiming the woman who accused his client of rape demanded $7 MILLION to buy her silence.

David Cornwell, the lawyer for the Heisman Trophy winner, sent a letter to FSU, saying Winston will fully cooperate with the University's ongoing investigation into the handling of the rape charges. The alleged victim claims the University engaged in sexual discrimination by sweeping her claims under the rug to protect its prized athlete.

According to the letter -- obtained by TMZ Sports -- the alleged victim's lawyer, Patricia Carroll, demanded $7 MIL to settle her client's claims against FSU and Winston, telling Cornwell, "If we settle, you will never hear from my client or me again -- in the press or anywhere."

Cornwell says he rejected her offer and 4 days later she went to the media.

Cornwell also says Carroll claimed her client's sexual encounter had to be rape, because she would never sleep with a "black boy." Fact is ... the alleged victim's boyfriend at the time was black. The criminal case fell apart, partly because the alleged victim had semen from 2 different men on her shorts.

Cornwell ends his letter to FSU by saying, "Mr. Winston will cooperate with the Investigation. He looks forward to clearing his name. But Mr. Winston will not walk into a honey trap. The Investigation must be a legitimate investigation."

Read more: http://www.tmz.com/2014/09/24/fsu-jameis-winston-rape-accuser-extortion-7-million/#ixzz3EG6stGlr

sounds like a dam svu episode

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think the fact that our legal system actually encourages this kind of extortion is the problem and the reason why these statements are made.

Because it's not extortion(although the insinuation at the end could be construed as a lawyer making a veiled threat that if explicitly said, would constitute extortion). However, going to the media as a result of you not getting your way isn't encouraged by the legal system. And if that threat were made, it would be extortion.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/spor...rney-tried-to-buy-silence-20140924-story.html

Jameis Winston's attorney offered to pay off accuser, woman's lawyer says

Jameis Winston's attorney offered to pay the woman who accused the quarterback of rape to stay silent, according to a statement released by one of her lawyers Wednesday.

The Statement contradicts claims made earlier Wednesday that the accuser sought money from Winston to remain quiet.

TMZ.com report attorney David Cornwell alleged the woman’s representatives sought $7 million money in exchange for silence.

Winston's representatives have repeatedly denied he raped the woman and said the sexual contact was consensual. State attorney Willie Meggs investigated her allegation, but opted not to file charges in connection with the December 2012 incident due to lack of evidence.

Here is the full text of Clune’s statement in response the TMZ report:

“Atlanta NFL lawyer, David Cornwell, has apparently leaked to TMZ a self-serving letter to Florida State University that is full of dishonest and distorted statements at a time when Mr. Winston is suffering from the negative attention of his own continuing misconduct of last week. Mr. Cornwell appears to know that Mr. Winston is about to be charged by Florida State with sexual assault and this letter seems to be his final attempt to prevent FSU from complying with federal law.

“The facts that Mr. Cornwell chose not to disclose are that it was he, himself, who reached out to our client’s former counsel Patricia Carroll to discuss paying off our client. Patricia Carroll didn’t even know who David Cornwell was until he called. Mr. Cornwell then himself flew down from Atlanta to negotiate with Ms. Carroll.

“Settlement discussions were immediately unproductive as Cornwell was crude and insulting going so far as to say ‘your client likes to [expletive] football players.’ When told that the client’s main concern was not money but that Winston be held accountable for his actions, Cornwell threatened to sue our client and her parents for civil racketeering in an effort to intimidate them into staying quiet. After learning about Mr. Cornwell’s unprofessional conduct at that meeting from Ms. Carroll, our office has decidedly not engaged with Mr. Cornwell at all or anyone else on Mr. Winston’s behalf. Although it our understanding that settlement was discussed, no authorized demands were made of Mr. Winston.

“Mr. Cornwell additionally and inaccurately portrays that our client chose to file a complaint ‘two years later.’ The truth is that the University approached our client in October of 2013 and asked her for the first time whether she would cooperate with disciplinary charges against Mr. Winston after the school received a second report of sexual misconduct by another woman. Our client responded that she would certainly cooperate. Since that time our client through counsel has repeatedly agreed to cooperate and meet with the University. All of these communications, including the October 2013 discussion with FSU officials, is documented. Mr. Cornwell may wish the truth were otherwise, but FSU’s own records proves him false.

“To the extent that Mr. Cornwell references statements about Mr. Winston’s race, we would doubt that Ms. Carroll made such remarks. The suggested remarks are certainly not beliefs held by our client and she would never authorize anyone to say such things.”

Athos

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
And the stink around this case gets worse.

Mmmm. One Winston's side, you have the "clingy, self-serving racist golddigging GF, who decided to mine for precious metal before Winston became a household name."

Or you have the abusive, crass, intimidating lawyer trying to earn his future payday when Winston gets drafted, by tearing down the victim's name and reputation.

I know what I've seen more of in regards to football. And it sure as fuck isn't dragging an athlete through the mud. It's dragging the victim through the mud. Seen it way to many times, more disturbingly in Stuebbenville, OH.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
And the stink around this case gets worse.

Mmmm. One Winston's side, you have the "clingy, self-serving racist golddigging GF, who decided to mine for precious metal before Winston became a household name."

Or you have the abusive, crass, intimidating lawyer trying to earn his future payday when Winston gets drafted, by tearing down the victim's name and reputation.

I know what I've seen more of in regards to football. And it sure as freak isn't dragging an athlete through the mud. It's dragging the victim through the mud. Seen it way to many times, more disturbingly in Stuebbenville, OH.

Athos I don't know if you agree with me on this but like the case in Ohio doesn't this smell like date rape drug to you?

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
This whole thing has this awful Lawrence Phillips vibe. I have a terrible feeling we are going to reach for this kid in the draft and end up with a less sympathetic Ryan Leaf.

@Rams and Gators made a very good point. This all started before anyone knew he was going to have money or fame.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This whole thing has this awful Lawrence Phillips vibe. I have a terrible feeling we are going to reach for this kid in the draft and end up with a less sympathetic Ryan Leaf.

@Rams and Gators made a very good point. This all started before anyone knew he was going to have money or fame.

Could take the guy at #1 and it wouldn't be a reach.

It started before he was FSU's starting QB but he was the #1 QB in the nation out of high school, was drafted by the Rangers in the MLB Draft, and was considered FSU's QB of the Future. So he wasn't exactly some irrelevant freshman.

Did the girl know who he was? I have no idea. Did he rape her? I have no idea. Never will know.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Could take the guy at #1 and it wouldn't be a reach.

It started before he was FSU's starting QB but he was the #1 QB in the nation out of high school, was drafted by the Rangers in the MLB Draft, and was considered FSU's QB of the Future. So he wasn't exactly some irrelevant freshman.

Did the girl know who he was? I have no idea. Did he rape her? I have no idea. Never will know.

It would take an awful savvy woman to piece all that together, though. Like my dad always used to say "Ask yourself what's more likely."

Is it more likely that a woman decides she wants future money, and sets out to find the most talented freshman she can find, hoping that he fulfills that promise eventually leading her to money?
Or is it more likely a talented player gets out of control with a woman and winds up stepping away because of interference from interested parties?

You are right, we will never know for absolutely sure, thanks to (well-timed or ill-timed) blunders. I know if I'm running a team it doesn't pass the sniff test to me.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It would take an awful savvy woman to piece all that together, though. Like my dad always used to say "Ask yourself what's more likely."

Is it more likely that a woman decides she wants future money, and sets out to find the most talented freshman she can find, hoping that he fulfills that promise eventually leading her to money?
Or is it more likely a talented player gets out of control with a woman and winds up stepping away because of interference from interested parties?

You are right, we will never know for absolutely sure, thanks to (well-timed or ill-timed) blunders. I know if I'm running a team it doesn't pass the sniff test to me.

I never said the girl was after money at the time. Only that Winston was a big name and that she might have been number chasing.

Yea, Winston may have raped her. Or, alternatively, she pursued him and both got drunk then had consensual sex. She ended up second guessing the decision for whatever reason and made a rape accusation.

Which is more likely? Probably the former but that's based on the very limited information we have. That all said, I'm not going to make any conclusion on little information. NFL teams will investigate this thoroughly.

There's a lot here that doesn't pass the smell test for me...and that's not just coming from Winston's side.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
I never said the girl was after money at the time. Only that Winston was a big name and that she might have been number chasing.

Yea, Winston may have raped her. Or, alternatively, she pursued him and both got drunk then had consensual sex. She ended up second guessing the decision for whatever reason and made a rape accusation.

Which is more likely? Probably the former but that's based on the very limited information we have. That all said, I'm not going to make any conclusion on little information. NFL teams will investigate this thoroughly.

There's a lot here that doesn't pass the smell test for me...and that's not just coming from Winston's side.

I agree. That's why I hope we have nothing whatsoever to do with it. That's really my point, not to assign blame in a rape case. The whole situation stinks, a huge red flag, and I hope we are smart enough to stay away. I have a bad feeling we won't if we're in that situation, and I have a bad feeling JW will bust as bad as some of the "greats".

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't see Winston busting unless the guy goes off the deep end in the NFL. His character issues don't extend to on the field. And he's a ridiculously talented passer with all the mental talent necessary to succeed. So unless the guy just turns into Rae Carruth or Lawrence Phillips, I don't see him busting.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
I don't see Winston busting unless the guy goes off the deep end in the NFL. His character issues don't extend to on the field. And he's a ridiculously talented passer with all the mental talent necessary to succeed. So unless the guy just turns into Rae Carruth or Lawrence Phillips, I don't see him busting.

This has been said before though, and about busts with far less distractions. It reminds me of the "Once in a lifetime" DE or LB that springs up every 3 years. He very well may do great. I certainly don't know, but I just have a bad feeling. I've had a bad feeling since Bradford's injury game that we are going to badly misstep on a QB in 2015. I don't know why, but it was the absolute first thought that went thru my head when he went down.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious

I completely agree. As fans we flip flop on draft picks all the time.

Remember how awesome everyone said it was if we were in a position to take Clowney? Well, some bad things come out about him, and all of the sudden nobody wants him. Alshon? Oh no...he's too lazy.

Now we are going through the same thing with Winston. I love his game, and he'd have to have a bad year ON THE FIELD for him to not be worthy of a top pick in my eyes. If we get him midway through the first, all the better.

Athos

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Athos I don't know if you agree with me on this but like the case in Ohio doesn't this smell like date rape drug to you?

I wouldn't be surprised. For the ones that wanna "slut shame" her for having two men's semen on her shorts....It smells like intoxication or under the influence of something.

Define known. I like to think myself as fairly knowledgable about FBS ball. Never heard of the guy. And I'm a baseball fanatic and never heard of him getting drafted by the Rangers. So what you're saying is, either the girl was a crazy sports aficionado or she meticulously planned this? Please....She'd have to dumb then to start the allegations now if A. She wanted money or B. Wanted to ruin his career.

And the reason it smells even worse is because Winston can't help but make headlines for being an idiot and brushing up against either the law or school policy or common sense behavior.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
I wouldn't be surprised. For the ones that wanna "slut shame" her for having two men's semen on her shorts....It smells like intoxication or under the influence of something.

Define known. I like to think myself as fairly knowledgable about FBS ball. Never heard of the guy. And I'm a baseball fanatic and never heard of him getting drafted by the Rangers. So what you're saying is, either the girl was a crazy sports aficionado or she meticulously planned this? Please....She'd have to dumb then to start the allegations now if A. She wanted money or B. Wanted to ruin his career.

And the reason it smells even worse is because Winston can't help but make headlines for being an idiot and brushing up against either the law or school policy or common sense behavior.

From Bisciotti's press conference:

"...Because we are so close to bordering on a slippery slope the other way with this whole scarlet letter thing. There was a letter that the woman that accused [Chicago Bears wide receiver] Brandon Marshall … [She sent] a letter to the league saying, ‘I was coerced to do this by family to get money from him.’ You can bet there are some opportunistic people out there that are going to look at this zero tolerance place we’re getting to or going to get to, and they’re going to say, ‘Boy, this is really, really going to be easy to threaten and get some money, because the minute I threaten him in-season, he gets cut and suspended for six games’ or, like I said, as far as I’m concerned it can be a year. But when other people are then motivated to do that, then you’re going to get to a point where some people are going to be very, very falsely accused. Where we end there, hopefully it’s fair on both sides.”

So the precedence is there for people to take advantage of these situations, and there are plenty of these kinds of people in the world. But there is also plenty of precedence of an athlete commiting the crime. If you quoted another one of @jrry32 's posts you'd see that...

He's putting it out there but not making any judgement.