Jameis Winston Just Doesn't Get It

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I just read that and guess what came to mind.

Rohypnol. It seems like someone slipped her some.......

Clearly there was a serious cover up, this looks bad and I'm sure any NFL team that
delves into this is going to have reservations about him, rightly so.

What has he done that he hasn't been caught doing?
He's already had far more than his fair share of bad publicity.
There something going on with this kid. It may not all be bad, but there's definitely enough to be concerned about.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Any GM that takes him with a top ten pick wants to get fired. 100mil talent 10 cent brain.
Look for the Browns to take him.

moklerman

Warner-phile
I don't understand the hype. Dude really reminds me of Byron Leftwich and that's not really a compliment in my book. That slow, long delivery likely won't translate to the NFL at all.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Ahhhh.... A USC fan eh? We could play you 10 more times and you would beat us every game! We will take it though, great win for the program.
BC ran for 500000000 yards, they deserved that game...I heard they only traveled with 54 players...

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Again
I fail to see how stealing a laptop or some crab legs make you an extreme case. It's stupid, dumb crap that young people do in college because they think they're untouchable. And then they get caught and they learn their lesson and later on in it becomes something to look back at and laugh. That is until you put these kids under a microscope because of how successful they are and then suddenly they are "thugs" or "extreme cases".

Outside of gang ties, alcoholism, or drug problems, I'd say that any kid's issues are fixable in the right environment. It's not something you ignore when you're making your draft pick, but if you buy everything you hear, you're going to miss out on some great players. For me, ultimately, I find it hard to judge any kid as harshly as some of you guys do without actually knowing them, but there are some cases where there's just too much negativity surrounding some prospects and the talent just isn't worth it. I don't think Winston or Cam are one of those cases, though.

Mo Clarret, Larry Phillips, Darryl Henley, Claude Wroten. There have been many that don't change. I consider Newton more of the exception, than the rule.

I went to college for 5 years and never knew of nor heard of anyone stealing lap tops or Crab Legs. I do recall a few players getting kicked off the team for fights and one for a rape, but that was legitimately investigated despite the guy being a football player.

Winston has some definite red flags. Can he clean up his act? Sure but he has continued to act like a punk instead of staying out of the news. It really isn't difficult to stay out of trouble in college. Millions of students do it every year.

jdhommert

Rookie
He's annoys the hell out of me and I don't like him personally at all but he's the best NFL QB prospect in college for sure. Mariota has the tools in the arm and speed, but he plays in a spread that's about the most beneficial/easiest/best system for a QB to be in in the country. Oregon QBs usually have great numbers but are never great NFL QBs, just system guys. Now I'm not saying Mariota is bad at all, but the biggest thing is he's always throwing to wide open WRs, and he doesn't go through reads/play in a pro system. Those are his biggest question marks that won't even be answered until he gets to the NFL.

Winston plays in a pro system and has outstanding pocket presence/football IQ which are about the most important things you look for. On the field his only knock has been simple mechanics/release speed stuff. As much as I don't like the guy I think it would be great if he fell due to characater reasons and Fisher picked him up like he's done so many other times.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...case-could-be-sign-of-things-to-come-for-nfl/

Winston case could be sign of things to come for NFL
Posted by Mike Florio on September 24, 2014

winston.jpg
AP

As Florida State quarterback Jameis Winston continues to do dumb things, the most troubling allegation against him continues to linger. And that most troubling allegation could soon be bubbling back to the surface.

Florida State has launched an internal investigation into the alleged sexual assault, and it intends to interview Winston. His lawyer, David Cornwell, has sent to Florida State a 13-page, single-spaced letter outlining flaws in the investigation, concerns about its fairness, and claims of extortion against the alleged victim.

The letter, a copy of which PFT has obtained, explains that the alleged victim’s lawyer met with Cornwell in February 2014 and demanded $7 million to settle her potential claims. “If we settle,” lawyer Patricia Carroll allegedly said to Cornwell, “you will never hear from my client or me again — in the press or anywhere.”

While indeed labeled as extortion by Cornwell, it’s common for potential plaintiffs in civil lawsuits to demand cash in exchange for a waiver of potential legal claims and silence. Typically, the first number requested is ridiculously high. The defendant often responds with a number that is ridiculously low, and the two sides chip away at the divide until a deal is either reached, or not.

With no settlement reached, Winston’s accuser continues to push the case against him, with a civil lawsuit apparently inevitable.

The situation has relevance to the NFL for two reasons. First, Winston likely will be carrying this specific item of baggage with him to the NFL draft in 2015 or 2016. (It’s hard to imagine him hanging around Tallahassee for another year in light of recent events.) Second, NFL players will be facing similar efforts to extort, pry, or otherwise squeeze money out of them, in light of the league’s new focus on domestic violence and sexual assault.

Suddenly, the victims of actual, perceived, exaggerated, and/or fabricated incidents of domestic violence have unprecedented power over the NFL players who allegedly engaged in misconduct. Faced with potentially lengthy suspensions with pay before trial and potentially lengthy suspensions without pay after the case ends, NFL players will have a strong incentive to write a check early, and to make it all go away.

Which in turn will attract lawyers who receive contingency fees to represent anyone who has the ability to exert that kind of leverage against someone with the resources to make a quick and large payment. Whether the payment is 25 percent, 33 percent, or 40 percent of the gross amount recovered, the best kind of contingency fee is the kind that comes without having to spend hundreds of hours preparing the case for trial and then rolling the dice in front of a judge and a jury.

Athos

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Second, NFL players will be facing similar efforts to extort, pry, or otherwise squeeze money out of them, in light of the league’s new focus on domestic violence and sexual assault.

Suddenly, the victims of actual, perceived, exaggerated, and/or fabricated incidents of domestic violence have unprecedented power over the NFL players who allegedly engaged in misconduct. Faced with potentially lengthy suspensions with pay before trial and potentially lengthy suspensions without pay after the case ends, NFL players will have a strong incentive to write a check early, and to make it all go away.

I dunno if I'm the only one, but I absolutely LOATHE insinuations like these. Phrased like this, it cheapens the experiences of actual rape victims or victims of domestic violence by turning the focus on alleged "gold-diggers" who scream rape and abuse against athletes.

It's damn near hard enough to actually get victims to come forward in the first place to press charges.

jjab360

Legend
Here's what Sean Maguire's dad had to say about Winston:
"Everybody can say what they want about Jameis in the media and stuff. My whole family, we have nothing but the utmost respect for that kid for what he did for Sean (last) week. From Wednesday on, he prepped Sean and was by his side the whole entire time. Another class act, after the game he went up to Sean and he goes, 'I want to meet your parents.' We were in the locker room and the kid came up to us -- and he didn't have to -- shook my hand, gave my wife a hug and said, 'Congratulations, this kid did a great job, and enjoy the moment.' "
http://www.si.com/college-football/2014/09/22/florida-state-sean-maguire-jameis-winston

That's the kind of kid Jameis is, but believe the media hype if you want to.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
I dunno if I'm the only one, but I absolutely LOATHE insinuations like these. Phrased like this, it cheapens the experiences of actual rape victims or victims of domestic violence by turning the focus on alleged "gold-diggers" who scream rape and abuse against athletes.

It's damn near hard enough to actually get victims to come forward in the first place to press charges.
I think the fact that our legal system actually encourages this kind of extortion is the problem and the reason why these statements are made. Our legal system is revenue driven and extremely corrupt, but it is better than nothing at all. Which is why I prefer to take the innocent until proven guilty. Though I do understand your statement regarding victims having difficulty coming forward, perhaps the greater crime in that light is the people who create false situations on serious matters for extortion?

I'm not condoning date rape drugs at all. Honestly, I just don't get why anyone would use something like this. If the girl agrees to go home with you, unless you have a horrible personality, then it's already on like Donkey Kong so what's the point? Why the need for a drug? What kind of personality needs a drug?

At that point I personally want complete participation and the goal is to make her climb the walls in ecstasy and beg for more. Anything less should be considered a failure, IMO. It's a point of PRIDE man.

I just don't get it, I really just don't.

Of course I'll teach my daughter to never except a drink that she didn't see made for this kind of stupidity alone, and if she ever were a victim it would be myself on trial and innocent until proven guilty for handling the situation myself.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
http://www.tmz.com/2014/09/24/fsu-jameis-winston-rape-accuser-extortion-7-million/
Jameis Winston's lawyer has fired off a letter to Florida State University ... claiming the woman who accused his client of rape demanded $7 MILLION to buy her silence.

David Cornwell, the lawyer for the Heisman Trophy winner, sent a letter to FSU, saying Winston will fully cooperate with the University's ongoing investigation into the handling of the rape charges. The alleged victim claims the University engaged in sexual discrimination by sweeping her claims under the rug to protect its prized athlete.

According to the letter -- obtained by TMZ Sports -- the alleged victim's lawyer, Patricia Carroll, demanded $7 MIL to settle her client's claims against FSU and Winston, telling Cornwell, "If we settle, you will never hear from my client or me again -- in the press or anywhere."

Cornwell says he rejected her offer and 4 days later she went to the media.

Cornwell also says Carroll claimed her client's sexual encounter had to be rape, because she would never sleep with a "black boy." Fact is ... the alleged victim's boyfriend at the time was black. The criminal case fell apart, partly because the alleged victim had semen from 2 different men on her shorts.

Cornwell ends his letter to FSU by saying, "Mr. Winston will cooperate with the Investigation. He looks forward to clearing his name. But Mr. Winston will not walk into a honey trap. The Investigation must be a legitimate investigation."

Read more: http://www.tmz.com/2014/09/24/fsu-jameis-winston-rape-accuser-extortion-7-million/#ixzz3EG6stGlr

jjab360

Legend

Demanding 7 million dollars or threatening to go to the media doesn't exactly help her cause in the fight against the stigma.

And if any of this is true she lost all sympathy from me, personally.
Cornwell also says Carroll claimed her client's sexual encounter had to be rape, because she would never sleep with a "black boy." Fact is ... the alleged victim's boyfriend at the time was black. The criminal case fell apart, partly because the alleged victim had semen from 2 different men on her shorts

moklerman

Warner-phile
So, I wonder why Winston is being targeted by the media? If he is such a great guy who's being falsely accused, what's the motivation to attack his character?

jjab360

Legend
So, I wonder why Winston is being targeted by the media? If he is such a great guy who's being falsely accused, what's the motivation to attack his character?
False or not, there are rape allegations there, and the media is going to take that and run with it to support their own agenda, just like they did with the Cam pay for play accusations at Auburn. Once you've caught their eye and are officially under the microscope, there's pretty much no stone unturned anymore no matter how private or irrelevant.