Jameis Winston Just Doesn't Get It

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Athos

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
jrry32 said:
Great. That's your opinion backed up with no facts. An opinion that will never be substantiated because the cops did that girl a disservice. But lets say that Winston isn't guilty, they did him the same disservice because he'll always have this hanging over his head too.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...egations-against-fsu-jameis-winston.html?_r=1

The whole case just smells and even worse was the disgusting way FSU celebrated no charges being taken up. With how often coverups happen in sports, from HS to college, to the NFL, I have every right to be suspect of pretty much any crime tied to football players these days.

Fact remains, the kid acts like an entitled asshole. And that hasn't changed. And that should be worrisome. How many chances does he get?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I thought Newton was gonna be fine coming out and I think Winston'll be fine too. Both of those guys are dedicated to their craft, which is way more important to me than the trumped up off the field rumors.

You had no doubts about a guy who was caught stealing computers from the school that he had a scholarship from? Ever hear of Maurice Clarrett? Lawrence Phillips? Some of these guys that cannot leave their past habits behind don't ever grow out of it.

I had my reservations but Newton is more of an exception for the extreme cases.

Alan

Legend
jjab360 making statements based on?:
I thought Newton was gonna be fine coming out and I think Winston'll be fine too. Both of those guys are dedicated to their craft, which is way more important to me than the trumped up off the field rumors.
So I understand that nothing has been proved but what are you basing the "trumped up" on? Because that means you not only think the charges have no merit, you also think it's a conspiracy to defame or otherwise hurt Winston. Just curious what you're basing that on.

trumped-up-concocted with intent to deceive

jjab360

Legend
You had no doubts about a guy who was caught stealing computers from the school that he had a scholarship from? Ever hear of Maurice Clarrett? Lawrence Phillips? Some of these guys that cannot leave their past habits behind don't ever grow out of it.

I had my reservations but Newton is more of an exception for the extreme cases.
I fail to see how stealing a laptop or some crab legs make you an extreme case. It's stupid, dumb shit that young people do in college because they think they're untouchable. And then they get caught and they learn their lesson and later on in it becomes something to look back at and laugh. That is until you put these kids under a microscope because of how successful they are and then suddenly they are "thugs" or "extreme cases".

Outside of gang ties, alcoholism, or drug problems, I'd say that any kid's issues are fixable in the right environment. It's not something you ignore when you're making your draft pick, but if you buy everything you hear, you're going to miss out on some great players. For me, ultimately, I find it hard to judge any kid as harshly as some of you guys do without actually knowing them, but there are some cases where there's just too much negativity surrounding some prospects and the talent just isn't worth it. I don't think Winston or Cam are one of those cases, though.

Athos

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Trumped up charges?

That's amusing considering everything that's Winston has done has been buried in a pit and shoveled over with relish by FSU officials and police whether through incompetence or unwillingness to adequately punish a stupid star athlete.

Trumped up is one thing that hasn't happened.

jjab360

Legend
When you don't like the kid, I guess it's guilty until proven innocent, right? :rolleyes:

Alan

Legend
jjab360 with this:
When you don't like the kid, I guess it's guilty until proven innocent, right? :rolleyes:
So how is your attitude towards his accuser any different jjab?

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...egations-against-fsu-jameis-winston.html?_r=1

The whole case just smells and even worse was the disgusting way FSU celebrated no charges being taken up. With how often coverups happen in sports, from HS to college, to the NFL, I have every right to be suspect of pretty much any crime tied to football players these days.

Fact remains, the kid acts like an entitled arsehole. And that hasn't changed. And that should be worrisome. How many chances does he get?

I just read that and guess what came to mind.

Rohypnol. It seems like someone slipped her some.......

Clearly there was a serious cover up, this looks bad and I'm sure any NFL team that
delves into this is going to have reservations about him, rightly so.

Alan

Legend
jjab360 forgetting his own words:
I don't know anything about the accuser, what do you mean?
You said the charges against him were "trumped up" and that means you think the woman who accused him of rape is lying. All without any actual proof that's she's lying.

jjab360:
"Both of those guys are dedicated to their craft, which is way more important to me than the trumped up off the field rumors."

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I watched video (several times)of Winston hamming for the cameras , Fisher asking him why he was dressed (inactive NFL players wear team gear not jerseys) how he handled the kid on the sideline,it SCREAMED that the power dynamic between them is upside down and that's why he was dressed he pretty well does what he wants , he has some issues IMO, that whole program is kissing his tukas cuz they know without him Clemson can beat them in their house .
The half game suspension was a joke which I have little doubt was told to Fisher by the schools administration ,hence the full game adjustment ( Roger Goodel can surely identify re: Ray Rice).
The culture of privilege for elite athlete's has rarely had a more appropriate poster child IMO and I totally agree , he's a spoiled brat who doesn't quite get what an NFL team is gonna want and need from a "face of the franchise". Maybe he'll grow up, but for now he's a grease fire and I'm glad my job isn't on the line depending on worrying what he'll do next.

FWIW he was suspended, his behavior didn't demonstrate in any way that he was at all remorseful about the fact that people who care about the academic institution beyond the football field adjudicated his behavior to be inconsistent with it's goals for the school ,it is still a school isn't it?or does the football program pre empt here?
It's instances like this that make everyday people resent athletes as they do, a PR disaster,John Wooden would cut him,ask Bill Walton.

These are all fair points. I think, yes, the football program does preempt school to a degree...especially for most of the football players. They aren't there for school. And if they had the option to get paid and play pro football(non-NFL) rather than go to college without harming their draft stock, I think most of them would. JMO though.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Fact remains, the kid acts like an entitled arsehole. And that hasn't changed. And that should be worrisome. How many chances does he get?

It certainly does smell bad. He could be guilty. He could be not guilty. If it's the former, the police bailed him out. If it's the latter, they screwed him over. None of us know.

I will say this, the kid comes off as immature and entitled. But I don't know him. I don't pretend to know him. I'll let the people who are doing the background research, interviewing him, and interviewing everyone around him figure out his character. If he is a punk that can't be coached, don't draft him. If he's just an immature guy making stupid decisions...I say take the chance because he's a stellar football player.

It seems to me that a lot of people want DGB who has been described by some as a punk and by others as an immature kid that's made bad decisions.

jjab360

Legend
You said the charges against him were "trumped up" and that means you think the woman who accused him of rape is lying. All without any actual proof that's she's lying.

jjab360:
"Both of those guys are dedicated to their craft, which is way more important to me than the trumped up off the field rumors."
I never said she was lying, though that is a definitely possibility that happens a lot in situations like this. Especially since there's no actual proof that she's telling the truth. What I said was "both of those guys are dedicated to their craft, which is way more important to me than the trumped up off the field rumors", which is a pretty general statement.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
It certainly does smell bad. He could be guilty. He could be not guilty. If it's the former, the police bailed him out. If it's the latter, they screwed him over. None of us know.

I will say this, the kid comes off as immature and entitled. But I don't know him. I don't pretend to know him. I'll let the people who are doing the background research, interviewing him, and interviewing everyone around him figure out his character. If he is a punk that can't be coached, don't draft him. If he's just an immature guy making stupid decisions...I say take the chance because he's a stellar football player.

It seems to me that a lot of people want DGB who has been described by some as a punk and by others as an immature kid that's made bad decisions.
Count me among the OTHERS ,he's gonna be trouble and as I've said before the NFL needs to look at college histories of certain behaviors and in some way impose probationary or not employable standards cuz they don't become the abusers when they get to the NFL , by then they are old enough to know better but don't and without incidents that are reported and heavily sanctioned are just time bombs.
Again the NCAA is strangely absent from scrutiny here, you can't buy a hungry kid a hamburger, but he can beat his girlfriend up get kicked off his team and move to another school and sometimes play right away,the NFL only takes what is kicked down the road to them.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I never said she was lying, though that is a definitely possibility that happens a lot in situations like this. Especially since there's no actual proof that she's telling the truth. What I said was "both of those guys are dedicated to their craft, which is way more important to me than the trumped up off the field rumors", which is a pretty general statement.
Nah man ,it's an implication that the charges are false

http://www.thesaurus.com/browse/trumped+up

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

I won't bang on you for the choice of words, I understand what you meant. But if you read the article it's pretty damning. I'd bet money a date rape drug was used. It sounds exactly like every other case where one was used.........sad.

Alan

Legend
jjab360 thinking words have no meaning:
No, " more important to me than the unproven off the field rumors." would be a general statement. You are specifically implying that she's lying when you said "trumped up". If that wasn't what you meant then that's OK and I'm glad we got that cleared up. :)

This statement by you: "When you don't like the kid, I guess it's guilty until proven innocent, right? :rolleyes:" is, of course, not factual and in no way does it reflect our/my position on this matter. Just saying.

jjab360

Legend
No, " more important to me than the unproven off the field rumors." would be a general statement. You are specifically implying that she's lying when you said "trumped up". If that wasn't what you meant then that's OK and I'm glad we got that cleared up. :)
You're right Alan, I chose my words loosely, I should've been clearer with what I was trying to say.

Alan

Legend
jjab360 with this:
You're right Alan, I chose my words loosely, I should've been clearer with what I was trying to say.
No need to apologize to me jjab. I've done the same thing myself. That and using sarcasm. Two traps that are soooooo easy to fall into. Fortunately, everyone here is capable of self-reflection and you can't ask for more than that. :)

Well the mods can but they're "special". :LOL:

GO RAMS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!