Got to say it: McVay pissed me off

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

TexasRam

Legend
Watch the actual games folks.

Pulling stats out without context does not validate a narrative.

No team rolled out their QB more than the Rams. This statistically skews the pressure numbers and if you don’t acknowledge this you are being disingenuous and ignoring the obvious.

Watch what happens when Goff sets up in the pocket. Turn on the Miami game, the Jets game or watch the Packers game. Immediate pressure of completely unblocked players.

But if you pay close attention and rewatch the game film you will see that the TE blocking was atrocious this year as well. Higbee was playing hurt nearly all year so that is part of the reason but Everett was bad.

Why was the scoring down?

Again watch the film.

The Rams offense was #11 in YPG. The problem with the scoring was the red zone running and lack of big plays. Again completely related to the Offensive line and TE blocking. You guys did watch the games right? Why can’t we run the ball in from inside the 5 yard line on two successive drives vs Seattle? Watch the game closely. Even Wolford couldn’t run it in on a keeper. Higbee got blown up. When we had Sullivan and Saffold it was close to automatic.

And guess what happens when your run game is near unstoppable. Your play action opens up.

So yes it’s offensive line. Look at Baker Mayfeild, Josh Allen, Rodgers and how great they now look with rebuilt olines. Or consider Lamar Jackson if you want an example of an MVP that saw his offensive numbers get deflated one year later after being unstoppable and then scored 3 pts in the playoffs because his Oline was depleted. When you lose two top Olineman that is the result.

Connect the dots.

Last edited:

Juice

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I have no idea what is going on between McVay and Goff, but I can speculate. Goff gets paid and knows his backup isn't going to get the nod unless he is out of the game. He doesn't prepare like he should, and becomes inconsistent. It irks a couple of players and the coaching staff, and it is coming to a head. McVay knows that his OL is subpar, but it is no excuse for Goff to be inconsistent and not putting in the time. Goff gets hurt and shows that he has heart and a genuine love for the game, but the staff remembers. There will be a third QB next season, and it will be a vet.

TexasRam

Legend
Yup. Would love an upgrade somewhere on the interior of the line, but these numbers seem to show a lot.
Keyword “seem”.

The numbers are completely out of context when you consider the rollouts, of which the Rams had to use excessively to counter the lack of pass protection.

Key injuries to Whitworth and then Edwards in our playoff game played their part. Evans singlehandedly killed two drives in our playoff game. But Blythe was terrible and Havenstein has always been a problem in pass protection. The TE blocking also really
Stands out on film as an area we need to upgrade.

JRobinson

MiLB
What is the stat if you remove the roll outs.

Would also like to see that broken out into pressures while executing 7 step drops etc...

Whenever they are in long yardage situations, the OL rarely held up long enough to throw it downfield. That is just the reality.

I would have no idea what that number would look like. But going by what I watched this season, I’d say it was more on Goff than the OLine when things faltered. I don’t believe that folks who criticize Goff on these forums wouldn’t also cast some fault on the OLine, but there’s no question that Goff has been a big problem this season. McVay also appears to agree by not publicly committing to Goff at this point.

Ellard80

Legend
Keyword “seem”.

The numbers are completely out of context when you consider the rollouts, of which the Rams had to use excessively to counter the lack of pass protection.

Key injuries to Whitworth and then Edwards in our playoff game played their part. Evans singlehandedly killed two drives in our playoff game. But Blythe was terrible and Havenstein has always been a problem in pass protection. The TE blocking also really

give me some actual facts about how many times we roll out compared to other teams.

Saying the Rams rollout to make up for pass protection is also misleading. Sure that migh tbe a reason sometime.

But our rolllouts have always been a part of the game... our rollouts are action of the outside zone. I'd argue we rollout less than we did in 2018.

I don't think our oline is great but its not nearly as bad as people are making it.

Also i agree that our TE's don't block that well.. but id say thats pretty normal for most nfl teams.

JRobinson

MiLB
Keyword “seem”.

i don’t think we truly know what the context of the numbers are without doing extensive research. I do believe that the roll-outs were to hide the pass protection weakness at times, but I also believe that McVay wanted to minimize the field for Goff as well. Above all that, the boots are designed in the initial scheme without factoring in the previously mentioned reasons.

The OLine receives guilt for poor play, and yes they play a role. But man, the evidence of Goff’s regression is clearly on tape all over the place. JMO

Ellard80

Legend
What is the stat if you remove the roll outs.

Would also like to see that broken out into pressures while executing 7 step drops etc...

Whenever they are in long yardage situations, the OL rarely held up long enough to throw it downfield. That is just the reality.

I agree the offensive line is probably below average in protecting 7 step drops. But half the teams I watch don't do many 7 step drops.

Many many QB's in the league get rid of the ball as quick as possible. Also how we compare in amount of roll outs to other teams? We prob roll out more than the average team.. but I dont have any facts on that.

Also our rollouts are part of the play action scheme... we rolled out just as much when we had better talent on the oline.

jacktheripper85

Starter
I would have no idea what that number would look like. But going by what I watched this season, I’d say it was more on Goff than the OLine when things faltered. I don’t believe that folks who criticize Goff on these forums wouldn’t also cast some fault on the OLine, but there’s no question that Goff has been a big problem this season. McVay also appears to agree by not publicly committing to Goff at this point.

Good post. I think it’s obvious based on McVay’s comments during the course of the year and at season’s end that his frustration with Goff isn’t related to his talent but Goff’s preparation. Safe to assume McVay doesn’t believe he has a stellar line but based on his comments it’s obvious he doesn’t think Goff does a good enough job with his pre-snap reads or decision making to make his life easier. . (I haven’t heard McVay ever comment on the lines performance all year but he has no problems taking Goff to task)

it’s obvious McVay is driven to be the best. You hear about how much time he puts in and I’m sure he demands the same from his coaches and players. Based on his coaching pedigree and the high regard he holds the Patriots in you know he demands the best. Say what you want about Tom Brady but no one prepares like that MF’er. I think McVay is looking for the same commitment from his QB and he isn’t seeing it. McVay’s been around the NFL too long and has the smarts to know how the media can twist things. He’s definitely sending a message to his QB here that he better start watching some more film and spend some more “off schedule” time with his receivers during the off season.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yup. Would love an upgrade somewhere on the interior of the line, but these numbers seem to show a lot.

Yep, a lot of short passes and boots. Defenses had caught up to the boots and there was nothing there most of the time. The short passes were used so that there would be no pressure on goff.

But 3rd and longs or any time they tried to go deep and goff was swallowed up as soon as his back foot planted into the ground.

Shuie3225

Starter

Or how many of so called "OL breakdowns" come from Goff making the wrong protection calls pre-snap? Or making the wrong read in his progression? We saw this in the Miami game multiple times. There were a number of zero blitzes where Goff didn't adjust protection, and in the same game hot routes running wide open and Goff didn't even look their way. He locked onto his first read and took the sack. Its just terrible quarterbacking at times.

matt30

Rookie
Name
Matt
Safe to assume McVay doesn’t believe he has a stellar line but based on his comments it’s obvious he doesn’t think Goff does a good enough job with his pre-snap reads or decision making to make his life easier. .

Pre-snap reads have not been a big issue this season. It's been pressure. Goffs first interception of the year came as he was throwing as he got hit in the Cowboys game. In Miami he got blitzed to death and lost 2 fumbles and 1 int hit as he was throwing, lost another int to trying to get the ball to his outlet. In the last 49ers game he lost a fumble to a corner trying to pull the ball down and run. Another to being hit as he was throwing. In the Seattle game he had a ball stripped from his hand as he was throwing.

matt30

Rookie
Name
Matt
Or how many of so called "OL breakdowns" come from Goff making the wrong protection calls pre-snap? Or making the wrong read in his progression? We saw this in the Miami game multiple times. There were a number of zero blitzes where Goff didn't adjust protection, and in the same game hot routes running wide open and Goff didn't even look their way. He locked onto his first read and took the sack. Its just terrible quarterbacking at times.

This is not what happened at all.

Mami fakes the zero blitz then drops back into coverage (4 man rush). Whitworth choose to double team rather than take the edge rusher, Goff sees the pressure and tries to go to his outlet. INT. No time to make multiple reads, no open hot route, and there is no scenario where the tackle should ignore the edge rusher.

View: https://youtu.be/OnRQEHWY0DU?t=126

Goffs first read is the safety, if he moves in he throws the one on one to Everett. Henderson's not even looking for the ball and runs right past the edge rusher. It's a bad play design for the situation. 5 WR set against a zero blitz. The Rams never run 0 personnel again the rest of the season. There is no protection to call. There are simply not enough blockers for the play they are trying to run. The ball is also snapped with 0 seconds on the play clock. Changing the play was not an option.

View: https://youtu.be/OnRQEHWY0DU?t=237

4 WR set. RB stays home. Miami brings more than the Rams can block. Immediate interior pressure. Desperation throw. There's no protection call that saves this play. No free running outlet. Best play was probably throwing the ball at Henderson's feet.

View: https://youtu.be/OnRQEHWY0DU?t=307

This time the Rams add a TE to block. Rams are running 3 long routes. Everett wiffs and sack fumble.

View: https://youtu.be/OnRQEHWY0DU?t=323

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Rollouts/boots don't just help the line with pass pro. They also help check the opposing edges in the run game. And they cut the field in half for easier QB reads.

Ellard80

Legend
Rollouts/boots don't just help the line with pass pro. They also help check the opposing edges in the run game. And they cut the field in half for easier QB reads.
our boots are all about the outside zone read...

its action of that... been around for years before the rams used it.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Pre-snap reads have not been a big issue this season. It's been pressure. Goffs first interception of the year came as he was throwing as he got hit in the Cowboys game. In Miami he got blitzed to death and lost 2 fumbles and 1 int hit as he was throwing, lost another int to trying to get the ball to his outlet. In the last 49ers game he lost a fumble to a corner trying to pull the ball down and run. Another to being hit as he was throwing. In the Seattle game he had a ball stripped from his hand as he was throwing.

I don't think those turnovers bother McVay (well the fumble when running probably did) - those are turnovers that are going to happen to your average QB when facing pressure.

It's the INTs to the Jets and Seahawks, among others, that likely drove McVay crazy. Unforced errors as I think of them.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
For those complaining that the Rams “decided to ignore” the OL in 2020, I call bullshit.

Thie fact is there just wasn’t enough fucking $ to go around.

Rams had 33.5 MILLION in dead money just for Cooks and Gurley. Once the decision was made to take that cap hit, there just wasn’t enough $ to fill all the holes.

Even with hindsight, the vast majority of the Rams off-season decisions were excellent. We did just fine letting go of NRC and Matthews. Letting go of Fowler and Littleton? Both excellent, tough decisions given the low production and high cost (15 M APY and 11M APY, respectively). Letting go of GZ was tough, but probably a wise move too.

Re-signing Whit and Brockers? Um, hell yeah. Picking up Fowler? Hell yeah. And A’shawn was decent, I guess.

After those free agent moves, and the dead $, there just wasn’t enough $ left over for interior OL and interior LB. But for those complaining about lack of attention paid to OL, how about you tell us which one of those “big ticket” signings ya would have omitted— Whit, Brock, or Fowler?!?!

And c’mon, the draft was freaking excellent as well, could potentially be one of Snead’s best. Akers, Jefferson, Burgess and Fuller all have bright futures. (And our first rounder was well spent in the deal to get Ramsey.)

So yeah, I give credit to Snead and McVay for yet another EXCELLENT offseason, despite the fact they had a gaping sinkhole of 33.5 M in dead money.

If they had the money, would they have upgraded the freaking OL? Of course! If ppl had the foresight to be against the Cooks and Gurley deals AT THE TIME THEY WERE SIGNED, then go ahead, complain about the Rams’ cap management. But once the Rams had to eat that 33.5 M, there just wasn’t enough $ to fix everything, and complaining that areas were “ignored” is asinine. IMHO.

Giles

Pro Bowler
Name
Giles
Y
For those complaining that the Rams “decided to ignore” the OL in 2020, I call bullshit.

Thie fact is there just wasn’t enough fucking $ to go around.

Rams had 33.5 MILLION in dead money just for Cooks and Gurley. Once the decision was made to take that cap hit, there just wasn’t enough $ to fill all the holes.

Even with hindsight, the vast majority of the Rams off-season decisions were excellent. We did just fine letting go of NRC and Matthews. Letting go of Fowler and Littleton? Both excellent, tough decisions given the low production and high cost (15 M APY and 11M APY, respectively). Letting go of GZ was tough, but probably a wise move too.

Re-signing Whit and Brockers? Um, hell yeah. Picking up Fowler? Hell yeah. And A’shawn was decent, I guess.

After those free agent moves, and the dead $, there just wasn’t enough $ left over for interior OL and interior LB. But for those complaining about lack of attention paid to OL, how about you tell us which one of those “big ticket” signings ya would have omitted— Whit, Brock, or Fowler?!?!

And c’mon, the draft was freaking excellent as well, could potentially be one of Snead’s best. Akers, Jefferson, Burgess and Fuller all have bright futures. (And our first rounder was well spent in the deal to get Ramsey.)

So yeah, I give credit to Snead and McVay for yet another EXCELLENT offseason, despite the fact they had a gaping sinkhole of 33.5 M in dead money.

If they had the money, would they have upgraded the freaking OL? Of course! If ppl had the foresight to be against the Cooks and Gurley deals AT THE TIME THEY WERE SIGNED, then go ahead, complain about the Rams’ cap management. But once the Rams had to eat that 33.5 M, there just wasn’t enough $ to fix everything, and complaining that areas were “ignored” is asinine. IMHO.
But they had enough money to resign fowler and sign floyd/Robinson? That's the problem, mcvay hasnt prioritized the most important unit on his offense and it shows.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Y

But they had enough money to resign fowler and sign floyd/Robinson? That's the problem, mcvay hasnt prioritized the most important unit on his offense and it shows.

It's not only a matter of money but of available players. Who could the Rams have signed?

OL rarely hit the market and when they do, they have to want to come play for us. There are likely 20-ish teams interested in any good free agent OL

Giles

Pro Bowler
Name
Giles
It's not only a matter of money but of available players. Who could the Rams have signed?

OL rarely hit the market and when they do, they have to want to come play for us. There are likely 20-ish teams interested in any good free agent OL
Rams had a chance to resign saffold and they didn't even make him a offer. That tells me mcvay doesnt prioritize the line like he should. He thought Fowler was a bigger priority.