Got to say it: McVay pissed me off

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams had a chance to resign saffold and they didn't even make him a offer. That tells me mcvay doesnt prioritize the line like he should. He thought Fowler was a bigger priority.

I agree that was likely a mistake, but not signing him led to consecutive double digit sacks (Fowler then Floyd), not to mention great run defense by Floyd.

Giles

Pro Bowler
Name
Giles
I agree that was likely a mistake, but not signing him led to consecutive double digit sacks (Fowler then Floyd), not to mention great run defense by Floyd.
I much rather have saffold for the next 3-4 years then either one of them sacks and all. When we had a good line we averaged 30ppg and offenses simply couldnt Keep up which allowed donald/defense to feast on teams playing catch up. That's the formula for success if we stick with goff or any qb for that matter. The high powered offense was the rams best defense in 17/18 imo.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Do we actually KNOW that Mcvay said "right now?" Bc the vid we got had the "now" cut out. And he doesnt say "hes THE qb", he says "hes A qb". So "yes hes a qb, right now".... doesnt make sense. But "Yes he's a qb, right" Is obviously a smartass answer to the question.

Yes. Verified by those on the zoom call.

Also, he says "right..." and the audio cuts out, but you could clearly see he says "now".

I was super surprised at McVay's response. Even when Goff played like utter dogshit, McVay would talk about not wanting turnovers, but how well Goff did at this and that, etc. Not this time.

"meh, he did a few nice things... " he was tempted to say more, but he bit his lip. The follow up question was even more telling.

Then we get his season ending interview and WOW... Everything is up for review? Well, we KNOW that's bullshit because AD, Ramsey, Akers, Woods, Kupp, Jefferson, Whitworth, Brockers, Williams, Hekker, Gay, Higbee and Fuller are NOT up for that level of "evaluation".

It's not saying Goff's out, but he's not saying he's in, either and for a guy they thought was and paid to be the franchise player... that's a real WOW. Rodgers has had some downright pedestrian years, and no one was saying Rodgers was anything less than Rodgers. So for McVay to lose this much confidence in this short period of time... that says something. I dunno what, exactly, as I'm not in McVay's head, but it's at the very least being open to change.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yes. Seriously. The TEAM saw how Goff played last year. How do you think they would feel if McVay came out and praised him and automatically said he was the starter, but everyone else must compete for their jobs?

BTW, I questioned if Goff was headed the way of Gurley and Cooks awhile back. But, few if any wanted to hear it then.

You don't evaluate your $34m qb.

He's either your qb or not.

If the hc is evaluating the qb then its Goodbye qb.

He wouldn't be saying this shit if he didn't know they were trading him in the off season.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Yes. Verified by those on the zoom call.

Also, he says "right..." and the audio cuts out, but you could clearly see he says "now".

I was super surprised at McVay's response. Even when Goff played like utter dogshit, McVay would talk about not wanting turnovers, but how well Goff did at this and that, etc. Not this time.

"meh, he did a few nice things... " he was tempted to say more, but he bit his lip. The follow up question was even more telling.

Then we get his season ending interview and WOW... Everything is up for review? Well, we KNOW that's bullshit because AD, Ramsey, Akers, Woods, Kupp, Jefferson, Whitworth, Brockers, Williams, Hekker, Gay, Higbee and Fuller are NOT up for that level of "evaluation".

It's not saying Goff's out, but he's not saying he's in, either and for a guy they thought was and paid to be the franchise player... that's a real WOW. Rodgers has had some downright pedestrian years, and no one was saying Rodgers was anything less than Rodgers. So for McVay to lose this much confidence in this short period of time... that says something. I dunno what, exactly, as I'm not in McVay's head, but it's at the very least being open to change.

I thinking your & mist everybody is missing the point. I did not see the interviews,but read McVays comments.

My take on it is just that.He wants to evaluate the team.

Goff ? If the price is right. Who knows The Rams trade him?

I was The one who started a post to Trade Todd Gurley.I’m not saying that about Jared Goff,plus there is no way Jared Goff gets cut.
John Wolford brought an interesting feature to The Rams Offense.He really opened things up.I think you make Jared Goff earn his spot & don’t play favoritism.Starts from The Top & Mcvay knows Jared Goff can handle it,but has to work Hard this Offseason.

I believe he got to comfortable & was enjoy his in house workouts more than ever in his Life.If a Wedding is in place,don’t take to long of A Honeymoon.If not it is time to Play Football & get rid of the excess baggage.

Last year Aaron Roders moved into a $25 Million Plus Malibu House with Go Daddy! Danika Patrick is a Hot Little Wheel,but Matt LaFlauer went & Draft a Rookie QB. WAKEUP CALL!!

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
He wouldn't be saying this shit if he didn't know they were trading him in the off season.

One thing that makes me cross eyed in the speculation here...

If McVay wants to trade Goff, wouldn’t you want to increase his value, by talking him up?

When something doesn’t make sense like that, are we sure we heard him right?

or... are we saying it’s a good strategy to shit on the QB... THEN trade him? That helps trade him?

So... part of me is wondering if we are all hanging on a few words, but missing something here.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
I thinking your & mist everybody is missing the point. I did not see the interviews,but read McVays comments.

My take on it is just that.He wants to evaluate the team.

Goff ? If the price is right. Who knows The Rams trade him?

I was The one who started a post to Trade Todd Gurley.I’m not saying that about Jared Goff,plus there is no way Jared Goff gets cut.
John Wolford brought an interesting feature to The Rams Offense.He really opened things up.I think you make Jared Goff earn his spot & don’t play favoritism.Starts from The Top & Mcvay knows Jared Goff can handle it,but has to work Hard this Offseason.

I believe he got to comfortable & was enjoy his in house workouts more than ever in his Life.If a Wedding is in place,don’t take to long of A Honeymoon.If not it is time to Play Football & get rid of the excess baggage.

Last year Aaron Roders moved into a $25 Million Plus Malibu House with Go Daddy! Danika Patrick is a Hot Little Wheel,but Matt LaFlauer went & Draft a Rookie QB. WAKEUP CALL!!

Well, we agree that Goff's not getting cut. No way we can take a $60+M cap hit. At that rate, you trade him for peanuts and just take a $24M cap hit.

As for the Press Conference as well as his end of the year interview... well, it'd be one thing if I was the only one mentioning it, but not a single beat reporter for the Rams wasn't taken aback by it and all of them are talking about it.

We'll see. At it's most benign, there'll be a QB competition between Goff and Wolford. At it's craziest, we'll have Deshaun Watson as the QB and an entirely different looking offense next year...

Who knows. Watson intrigues me enough that I'm just swimming in the possibilities right now. Once that drama is over wherever he goes or doesn't go, then I'll settle in to finalizing mocks and researching players and just having fun with the draft.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

If McVay wants to trade Goff, wouldn’t you want to increase his value, by talking him up?

or... are we saying it’s a good strategy to shit on the QB... THEN trade him? That helps trade him?

So... part of me is wondering if we are all hanging on a few words, but missing something here.

it beats me but has any other coach in the league said they're evaluating their $34m qb? who says that?

it's such a slap in the face of goff. how will he work with mcvay again? i'm guessing they won't because goff will be traded.

and i don't think it matters what mcvay says about him as teams will already have worked out how much they value goff. fake praise from mcvay won't increase his value.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
eats me but has any other coach in the league said they're evaluating their $34m qb? who says that?

Yeah, exactly. You don’t. Which is why I can’t help but think we are hanging on words. He didnt mean it as we’ve interpreted.

But... I agree, it sounded exactly as we are speculating. I heard what we all heard.

I just don’t get the logic of talking Goff down, if you want trade value.

And yeah, fake praise is transparent... but there is plenty of praise that could be said about Goff, GB game, 2020 season, his career, etc. So... if you plan on trading him - LAY INTO THAT.

TheTackle

Pro Bowler
I don’t agree that the offense was bad or that Goff was the problem.

He is a two time (and well deserved) pro bowl QB who has accumulated a very good win percentage including in the playoffs?

The offense has been inconsistent, including Goff. His last two performances were gutsy to say the least

In no order:

There has been some poor play calling
Injuries at RB to our best two players
We have played 3 WR sets with one jag
We haven’t threatened teams over the top
Our best TE has been banged up
Our all pro LT was injured
Our OL can be overwhelmed at the point better DLs

We have still played at a high level more often than not and were close to a top 10 offense despite the serious issues listed above

He is often compared to three of the greatest QBs ‘of all time‘ which is a high bar for any player!

Is Goff better than say Eli Manning? Do we have a great defense?

Would we be wiser taking the long term view that McVey, Goff, Akers and a top defense could produce similar results to the Giants? For me the answer is a resounding yes!

Restructure and extend Goff, with more years to spread his guaranteed without adding much to the back end. If need be work out something similar (but lesser) to that Tom Brady had in NE

Draft a pro bowl talent at Center, LB, and/or OT (not necessarily in that order)
Resign Floyd
Sign a FA WR or 3rd round WR who has break away speed and good hands even they are limited in terms of a route tree. Better yet, one who is a dynamic returner

We need to improve ever so slightly to be a major contender once again

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
I don’t agree that the offense was bad or that Goff was the problem.

He is a two time (and well deserved) pro bowl QB who has accumulated a very good win percentage including in the playoffs?

The offense has been inconsistent, including Goff. His last two performances were gutsy to say the least

In no order:

There has been some poor play calling
Injuries at RB to our best two players
We have played 3 WR sets with one jag
We haven’t threatened teams over the top
Our best TE has been banged up
Our all pro LT was injured
Our OL can be overwhelmed at the point better DLs

We have still played at a high level more often than not and were close to a top 10 offense despite the serious issues listed above

He is often compared to three of the greatest QBs ‘of all time‘ which is a high bar for any player!

Is Goff better than say Eli Manning? Do we have a great defense?

Would we be wiser taking the long term view that McVey, Goff, Akers and a top defense could produce similar results to the Giants? For me the answer is a resounding yes!

Restructure and extend Goff, with more years to spread his guaranteed without adding much to the back end. If need be work out something similar (but lesser) to that Tom Brady had in NE

Draft a pro bowl talent at Center, LB, and/or OT (not necessarily in that order)
Resign Floyd
Sign a FA WR or 3rd round WR who has break away speed and good hands even they are limited in terms of a route tree. Better yet, one who is a dynamic returner

We need to improve ever so slightly to be a major contender once again

That should be the plan if they can't or don't want to go after Watson.

I still think Goff can be a very effective QB in the NFL.

I don't know if Goff can be what McVay wants. He was close to that in 2018 for sure, but so many things came together and we had an amazing OL.

I'll roll with Goff if he gets his edge back.

That said, there's a few QBs you turn yourself inside out to get... Mahomes, Watson, Rodgers.... maybe Allen? Beyond that, you just do your best.

I think Goff can be the best of the 2nd tier, but under McVay, I think Watson can be better than Mahomes or Rodgers. I truly do. Couple Watson with Cam Akers, Bobby Trees, C Kupp, Van Jefferson, and Higbeast... it's not hard to imagine how good the Rams O would be.

Kevin

Pro Bowler
Rams had a chance to resign saffold and they didn't even make him a offer. That tells me mcvay doesnt prioritize the line like he should. He thought Fowler was a bigger priority.
Rams had enough money to do one if two things: resign a 30-plus year old guard to a long term contract or sign a 20-something defensive end who they had traded a draft pick to get less than a year earlier.

nighttrain

Legend

i think McVay is pissed at Goff for the time he spends with the woman, and not in the film room. Mad enough to want Goff to wake the f#$k up, even a good QB can be traded if consistently underperforming
train

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Well, we agree that Goff's not getting cut. No way we can take a $60+M cap hit. At that rate, you trade him for peanuts and just take a $24M cap hit.

As for the Press Conference as well as his end of the year interview... well, it'd be one thing if I was the only one mentioning it, but not a single beat reporter for the Rams wasn't taken aback by it and all of them are talking about it.

We'll see. At it's most benign, there'll be a QB competition between Goff and Wolford. At it's craziest, we'll have Deshaun Watson as the QB and an entirely different looking offense next year...

Who knows. Watson intrigues me enough that I'm just swimming in the possibilities right now. Once that drama is over wherever he goes or doesn't go, then I'll settle in to finalizing mocks and researching players and just having fun with the draft.

Perfect response. I’m right with you. I believe change would be good,but my question now is.What would it take to get Watson & if that happens Jared Goff is defiantly gone imo.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
i think McVay is pissed at Goff for the time he spends with the woman, and not in the film room. Mad enough to want Goff to wake the f#$k up, even a good QB can be traded if consistently underperforming
train

I don’t know if I already quoted you that in response? There is another poster I think I compare you to when posting. Totally agree with you though.

I’ll add that Sean Mcvay is all about WE,not ME.Everybody is accountable,but Jared Goff is the Player who runs the offense & Mcvay has been taking a lot of the blame,because Jared Goff can not run the Offense like Sean Mcvay would fully like.He also is a dead duck in the pocket if there is pressure & right coverage.Jets sweeps can only be run so seldom.especially with The Rams personnel.

jacktheripper85

Starter
You guys need to stop with this pipe dream of getting Watson. If he gets traded he is going to either the Jets or Dolphins. Both teams have their own picks and the picks they got from Houston and Seattle to offer much more than us and both teams will also have enough picks and cap room to build around him.

We have no shot of matching any offer they can put on the table.

TexasRam

Legend

Yea it’s a good point.

TexasRam

Legend
You guys need to stop with this pipe dream of getting Watson. If he gets traded he is going to either the Jets or Dolphins. Both teams have their own picks and the picks they got from Houston and Seattle to offer much more than us and both teams will also have enough picks and cap room to build around him.

We have no shot of matching any offer they can put on the table.
Except for the fact that we can offer a Super Bowl QB, something Houston has never sniffed. A guy that lead the top offense in the NFL over two years. And they have the WR Cooks that Goff did this with. So if Watson really wants out they do need a backup plan at Qb and our offer is something Miami and NY can’t match.

Not saying it will happen because the draft pick discrepancy is legitimate. But Goffs resume is night and day different from a rookie or a Sam Darnold.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
One thing I would like to add to this thread is that, while McVay is right to call out Goff at times, I have yet to hear him call out our OL or anyone on it. Is he not frustrated with them? Could he not tell us just once that "hey, it would be nice if our OL could get enough push to get us a TD on four tries inside the 5 yard line" or "it would be nice if the OL didn't whiff on blocks and get the play blown up" in the same manner as he has called out Goff this season.

I'm sure he sees the problems, he can't be blind to it. And he can't be blind to the fact that the decline in OL play from what it was two years ago has been a contributing (not the only, but contributing) factor to Goff's struggles.