Got to say it: McVay pissed me off

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

TXRams86

The Infamous
Do we actually KNOW that Mcvay said "right now?" Bc the vid we got had the "now" cut out. And he doesnt say "hes THE qb", he says "hes A qb". So "yes hes a qb, right now".... doesnt make sense. But "Yes he's a qb, right" Is obviously a smartass answer to the question.
At this point it really doesn't matter because the media has since asked him questions clarifying his position. You can hear the entire interview that was posted yesterday on therams.com where the FIRST question was asking him to clarify this exact statement. To save you the click, he said that he was going to evaluate all positions, not just the QB position but that the QB position wasn't exempt either.

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
We don't see the game film every day. We don't know the first read if it was open, who blew what assignment or whatever.

Some posters do...they talk about missed reads and people "running wide open", as though they know the play calls.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This is still a business where one party is being paid millions of dollars as the highest paid player on the team. I don't see how Goff was disrespected at all, if one doesn't put him up on a pedestal.

seriously man?

qbs are a different breed. they are supposed to be the leader of the team. how can they be that when the coach says he's not sure if they'll be on the roster next season? that he needs to evaluate him?

it's all over for goff with the rams.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
McV's comments just minutes following a divisional rd playoff loss seem to be getting WAY too much weight here. Where's there's smoke there's fire. I don't see any smoke yet.

JMO

Of course the entire team needs to be evaluated at the end of the season. That goes without being said doesn't it? It does, unless the media asks questions and tries reaching for controversy.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Goff‘s salary contributes to the need to carefully manage the cap but it’s not THE reason we

That hasn’t affected Green Bay or New England or Pittsburgh over the years because they had first round draft picks to replenish their talent. We haven’t had a first round pick since 2016 when we took Goff. The Rams have a few very highly paid players, including Goff, but also Donald, Ramsey, Floyd Kupp and Woods. Maybe one or two more. I’m not going to do the math but I would wager that the Rams have the most cap space occupied by their top five contracts than any other team in the league. Hard to field a championship team with no first round picks and so much cap space dedicated to a few stars.

Even the most positive Rams fans would admit that Rodgers, Brady and Roethlisberger of past years are head and shoulders better than Goff, so you sort of proved my point. In those situations, the QB has often made up for their lack of talent.

Tano

Legend
Even the most positive Rams fans would admit that Rodgers, Brady and Roethlisberger of past years are head and shoulders better than Goff, so you sort of proved my point. In those situations, the QB has often made up for their lack of talent.
Brady had the cheater and home field advantage in the playoffs due to having 3 of the weakest teams in the NFL in his division most every year.

In 15 years or more

Rodgers has one SB appearance (probably two after this year
Roethlisberger has two SB appearance

I wouldn't say head and shoulders better - I would say those 3 are definite HOF and Goff is in the tier just below that (B+ to A-) with a very good OL. Without a good OL, he is above average (B to B-) at best - good enough to get us 9 to 11 wins in a season.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Goff doesn't get a pass, but McVay really needs to look in the mirror and look hard.

He can be forgiven for the way the OL played in 2019 - he gambled we could replace Saffold and Sully, and lost. But after last season, what did they do? They pretty much continued on with the same names as the year before, including a guy named Blythe who turned into a weak link late in 2018 and has pretty much been a weak link most of the time since. Much of the performance of our OL has been rested on an old veteran, Whitworth, for whom we are lucky he hasn't retired. So the need for upgrades going into 2020 was pretty clear. And how did they handle it? The free-agency period was spent signing guys like Floyd and Robinson - valuable to our D no doubt, but they do nothing directly to help the OL and thus, the QB. And then came the draft - the focus was on another RB, WR, a few DBs, an edge rusher, a kicker who washed out ... and one OL very late in the draft who is there more for depth. So needing to upgrade the OL, no help was brought in through FA or the draft. Instead they just rolled the dice with pretty much the same personnel they had last year. While the results were a little better, they were hardly stellar. For one, the QB typically lacked time for longer pass patterns to develop, and our offense was more or less compressed to the point where defenders didn't have to defend as much of the field as they did in '17 and '18. And because of the OL, we often had to keep TE's in to block rather than going out for passes, taking another weapon out of our arsenal.

The failure to get upgrades on the OL going into this season is entirely on McVay and Snead.

On top of that, either through scheme or playcalling, McVay's offense has become stale. I have a friend who is a Titans fan, but whenever he watches a Rams game he tells me their playcalling is predictable, which many on this board have said as well. If my friend can see it and we can see it, you can be sure opposing defenses can see it. Many times we see McVay abandon the run when it's working. We never run out of the shotgun, making that a tell that a pass is coming for opposing defenses and thus making their job easier. And the redzone struggles have followed McVay from Washington.

We marvel as McVay's record with the Rams, but he and we also have to remember that Goff was the starter for all of those game save one.

McVay needs to fix himself and fix the OL first. If he tears up this team to get rid of Goff without doing those other things first, he is going to burn a lot of goodwill.

Hopefully, he's just trying to motivate Jared with his words the other day. But either way, he needs to do a ton of self-evaluation too. Without that self-evaluation, it won't matter who takes snaps for the Rams.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
well apart from attacking the coach, he wasn't wrong.

goff is a pocket passer and he hasn't seen a pocket for 2 years. he can't function without one, no pocket passer can.

i can't see how goff is on the team next season when the hc said that about him. like i said before the rams trading him could be the best thing for goff's career. he needs to escape from mcvay's shadow.
What we have here is a situation where the team couldn't fix all its ills in the 2020 offseason. They rolled the dice on the OL with good and bad result. Our QB who had been paid (which may have been a mistake) struggled behind said line. That's where we are at.

Now to say McVay is a solid coach? C'mon man. What's going on here is a love affair with our QB Goff that is so profound that he needs a target, a victim, to explain things in his mind. Has our fan base gotten that bad that quickly that we can't see how good this coach is because we feel slighted on the part of the QB?

There is no victim here. This is the NFL. This is a big boy league. Guys get exposed, guys find out they're not good enough, and guys fail to play up to contracts all the time.

I root hard for the dude. But I refuse to make fucking excuses for him.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
This shows growth I think on McVays part.

We all know there's a possibility that one of three things occur:

1. Goff gets traded
2. We draft a QB high
3. Goff isn't starting next year

These might be 20% chances or lower - but better that McVay be honest bow instead of saying "Goff's our QB' a month before we all get the "BREAKING NEWS..."

Was the OL perfect? No.

But let's ask ourselves this: if we had gotten home field and the first round bye, would we still be playing right now? Yes. Why didn't we get a first round bye? All we needed were three games...

Jets - bad INT, not the OL or WR fault
Niners - 3 turnovers from Goff - one under no pressure, one trying to run, one thrown straight to a DL
Dolphins game which we all remember

McVay is the boss and if he wants to, he can decide that Goff committed unforced errors in these games. Unforced is key because while every player will make mistakes because the other guys get paid, there is no excuse for the INTs against the Jets and Seahawks.

So for as average as some of our units were, if our QB was average at turning the ball over, we likely get home field this year and are in the NFCCG
I would argue the Jets game, everyone shit the bed and the OL played poorly. Penalties, gave up a lot of pressures. Quinnen Willians lived in the backfield.

Dolphins, have to assume Goff did not do homework on the blitz.

2nd Niners gm I will put on Goff, but overall the Niners own McVay. Know his offense and he might be too predictable. He needs to change it up.

Then you also need to credit Goff for carrying the offense in the Tampa game & Cardinal road game. Also brought them back in Buffalo, but then the D gave up 3rd and longs twice on the last drive then the killer penalty.

So be fair...

jacktheripper85

Starter
It will be interesting to see how our young coach responds to the first real scrutiny of his leadership. Let’s face it, here’s a guy who’s had nothing but a honeymoon period since he became a HC-and he’s definitely earned it. Super Bowl appearance, playoff appearances, media pieces about what a genius he is, already establishing a coaching tree, etc.

But now he’s dealing with people questioning whether his offense is stale, contracts that were questioned regarding the timing coming back to haunt the team due to injuries, just losing a playoff game to his best friend (minus 2 of our best players-and yes I’m including Donald-he was nowhere near himself) who coached under him, losing another assistant who will now be in the same stadium and who seems to be inheriting a great situation to succeed. I mean you’ve got to admit the guy is human and to see all the hard work you put into this team and then have your assistants get these awesome HC positions has to piss you off a little.

Just seems to me that our great young coach is starting to exhibit some signs of frustration with how things have played out the last two years-a little bit of “victim of your own success”. I have no doubt he will continue to be a great leader but when you look at coaches he has to replace, FAs we are going to lose, injuries before the playoffs, our cap situation and the current firestorm he caused with our starting QB it’s going to be a long and stressful off season.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Things I think we can expect:

1. Waldron fired. Passing game was bad last year when he was "OC" and it's still bad. But this year specifically Goff struggled with protections so I think that is what gets Waldron fired. In his place will be a QB Coach hire who is up to speed and a great teacher of protections.

2. Competition at QB. This is no big deal. Goff is so fucking talented that unless he goes into a shell he'll win the competition. Consider this entire path a pressured reminder for Goff that even when you're paid you can be replaced.

3. OL upgrades. Another no brainer. Center at the least has to be brought in. Would not surprise me in fact if they were to add a FA option simply because the spot is so bad you don't want to enter the draft like that. But they also could move Hav and shuffle the big boys around too so there's room for different approaches as long as they fill the pivot.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
Goff doesn't get a pass, but McVay really needs to look in the mirror and look hard.

He can be forgiven for the way the OL played in 2019 - he gambled we could replace Saffold and Sully, and lost. But after last season, what did they do? They pretty much continued on with the same names as the year before, including a guy named Blythe who turned into a weak link late in 2018 and has pretty much been a weak link most of the time since. Much of the performance of our OL has been rested on an old veteran, Whitworth, for whom we are lucky he hasn't retired. So the need for upgrades going into 2020 was pretty clear. And how did they handle it? The free-agency period was spent signing guys like Floyd and Robinson - valuable to our D no doubt, but they do nothing directly to help the OL and thus, the QB. And then came the draft - the focus was on another RB, WR, a few DBs, an edge rusher, a kicker who washed out ... and one OL very late in the draft who is there more for depth. So needing to upgrade the OL, no help was brought in through FA or the draft. Instead they just rolled the dice with pretty much the same personnel they had last year. While the results were a little better, they were hardly stellar. For one, the QB typically lacked time for longer pass patterns to develop, and our offense was more or less compressed to the point where defenders didn't have to defend as much of the field as they did in '17 and '18. And because of the OL, we often had to keep TE's in to block rather than going out for passes, taking another weapon out of our arsenal.

The failure to get upgrades on the OL going into this season is entirely on McVay and Snead.

On top of that, either through scheme or playcalling, McVay's offense has become stale. I have a friend who is a Titans fan, but whenever he watches a Rams game he tells me their playcalling is predictable, which many on this board have said as well. If my friend can see it and we can see it, you can be sure opposing defenses can see it. Many times we see McVay abandon the run when it's working. We never run out of the shotgun, making that a tell that a pass is coming for opposing defenses and thus making their job easier. And the redzone struggles have followed McVay from Washington.

We marvel as McVay's record with the Rams, but he and we also have to remember that Goff was the starter for all of those game save one.

McVay needs to fix himself and fix the OL first. If he tears up this team to get rid of Goff without doing those other things first, he is going to burn a lot of goodwill.

Hopefully, he's just trying to motivate Jared with his words the other day. But either way, he needs to do a ton of self-evaluation too. Without that self-evaluation, it won't matter who takes snaps for the Rams.

Spot on.

Giles

Pro Bowler
Name
Giles
What we have here is a situation where the team couldn't fix all its ills in the 2020 offseason. They rolled the dice on the OL with good and bad result. Our QB who had been paid (which may have been a mistake) struggled behind said line. That's where we are at.

Now to say McVay is a solid coach? C'mon man. What's going on here is a love affair with our QB Goff that is so profound that he needs a target, a victim, to explain things in his mind. Has our fan base gotten that bad that quickly that we can't see how good this coach is because we feel slighted on the part of the QB?

There is no victim here. This is the NFL. This is a big boy league. Guys get exposed, guys find out they're not good enough, and guys fail to play up to contracts all the time.

I root hard for the dude. But I refuse to make fucking excuses for him.
But you give mcvay a excuse? The situation the rams are in are 100% on him. He's the one who neglected the oline and went cheap which made the offense as a whole worse and he's also the one who made the call to extend goff. He needs a strong oline to make his offense work and he apparently hasn't figured that out yet.

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
At this point it really doesn't matter because the media has since asked him questions clarifying his position. You can hear the entire interview that was posted yesterday on therams.com where the FIRST question was asking him to clarify this exact statement. To save you the click, he said that he was going to evaluate all positions, not just the QB position but that the QB position wasn't exempt either.

Completely agree. And I dont think anyone would argue against Goff having some competition.

Memphis Ram

Legend

"We know John Wolford came in and they were excited about him when Jared Goff got hurt and the way he performed, and then he got hurt," Wyche said. "So I think a lot of people are wondering if they're going to bring in a veteran type of quarterback to push Jared Goff this offseason. Or at least have that threat there as a backup to see if they can elevate Goff.
"The people I've spoken to said basically at this moment the relationship with Goff and McVay: not great. They need marriage counseling is what one person said to me. I think this is something that they're going to be able to work through, but there's got to be some healing and that's not just with Jared Goff's injured thumb."
McVay's vague responses in Saturday's aftermath seemed to indicate there was an underlying uncertainty about Goff's standing that extended beyond his inconsistent play. He did credit Goff for his effort in returning to help the Rams win a playoff game, but noted he needs to meet with Goff to develop a shared understanding heading into an important offseason.

Memphis Ram

Legend
seriously man?

qbs are a different breed. they are supposed to be the leader of the team. how can they be that when the coach says he's not sure if they'll be on the roster next season? that he needs to evaluate him?

it's all over for goff with the rams.

Yes. Seriously. The TEAM saw how Goff played last year. How do you think they would feel if McVay came out and praised him and automatically said he was the starter, but everyone else must compete for their jobs?

BTW, I questioned if Goff was headed the way of Gurley and Cooks awhile back. But, few if any wanted to hear it then.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
But you give mcvay a excuse? The situation the rams are in are 100% on him. He's the one who neglected the oline and went cheap which made the offense as a whole worse and he's also the one who made the call to extend goff. He needs a strong oline to make his offense work and he apparently hasn't figured that out yet.
Does McVay need an excuse for taking this year's team where he did? I pounded the fuckin desk for OL last year and even ate crow about my stance early this season (unnecessarily too I might add) when it looked like our OL was going to turn the corner. But ask yourself is it realistic to feel he failed because he prioritized moving on from Gurley and Cooks and the fact that those changes dominated our offseason?

I feel like McVay gets the most from his roster. Which is his job. So in answer to your question: I don't need to give him an excuse. He doesn't need that. If you were the owner and fired McVay due to the failings you are seeing he would move on to another team and put them in the playoffs and probably start winning championships. So I hope the Rams' front office is a lot smarter about football and team building than that. :beer2: :cool:

Giles

Pro Bowler
Name
Giles
If mcvay is unwilling to give goff what he needs to be successful (a good oline) then he needs to trade him. We all seen what goff can do with good/bad lines and have 4 years of evidence. He needs a good oline whatever it takes if he's gonna keep goff. If he wants to go the Watson route fine but he better be hope he stays healthy.

Giles

Pro Bowler
Name
Giles
Does McVay need an excuse for taking this year's team where he did? I pounded the fuckin desk for OL last year and even ate crow about my stance early this season (unnecessarily too I might add) when it looked like our OL was going to turn the corner. But ask yourself is it realistic to feel he failed because he prioritized moving on from Gurley and Cooks and the fact that those changes dominated our offseason?

I feel like McVay gets the most from his roster. Which is his job. So in answer to your question: I don't need to give him an excuse. He doesn't need that. If you were the owner and fired McVay due to the failings you are seeing he would move on to another team and put them in the playoffs and probably start winning championships. So I hope the Rams' front office is a lot smarter about football and team building than that. :beer2: :cool:
Do you want playoffs or championship? If you want championships it's not gonna happen with mcvay because he keeps ignoring the oline and thinks he can scheme around that. Last two years have shown everyone how flawed that thinking is. He should've prioritized his oline over everything else and he didn't. Hopefully he doesn't make the same mistake 3 times in a row.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Do you want playoffs or championship? If you want championships it's not gonna happen with mcvay because he keeps ignoring the oline and thinks he can scheme around that. Last two years have shown everyone how flawed that thinking is. He should've prioritized his oline over everything else and he didn't. Hopefully he doesn't make the same mistake 3 times in a row.
He's going to address the OL. No way around it. But once again if you think McVay is the problem good luck with that man. Cheers.