Got to say it: McVay pissed me off

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
You guys need to stop with this pipe dream of getting Watson. If he gets traded he is going to either the Jets or Dolphins. Both teams have their own picks and the picks they got from Houston and Seattle to offer much more than us and both teams will also have enough picks and cap room to build around him.

We have no shot of matching any offer they can put on the table.

The Texans cannot just trade him to whichever team has the biggest offer.

Watson has a no trade clause. So even in wanting to get out, HE determines the destinations, not the Texans FO.

I'd be SHOCKED if via agents and whatnot, word hasn't already hit Watson's people that the Rams are interested in him.

Now, can they put together enough for Houston to look like it didn't lose the trade too badly (no one's gonna say they won a trade in which they dealt Watson)?

I think so, but others disagree.

Plus, there's the looming specter of Watson going to the hated rivals. That would INFURIATE me, no question.

But yeah, it would be a pipe dream except for the no trade clause... and well, McVay's held in such high regard and hasn't had a losing season in 4 years as a HC in the toughest division in football... Guys WANT to come here. It wouldn't surprise me for Watson to want to come to LA and light up the city, be the toast of the town with LeBron and bring Championships to LA.

It may be improbable, but pipe dream? The last guy that was a pipe dream was Jalen Ramsey... who just made the All Pro team as a Ram...

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
I’ll agree with you to a certain extent there but those other QBs aren’t making $33MM a year. If we don’t think he’s worth that much and are willing to trade him with the talent we have why would Houston think he’s worth it-especially when you factor in that they have less talent than us to support Goff?

Houston's only trading him because they screwed up the relationship so badly that he wants out.

WHATEVER they do, it's about salvaging what they can from the wreckage. They are very unlikely to get 1 for 1 value in any scenario, even with a Mike Ditka level trade...

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Houston will hire Bienemy and then kiss Watson's ass with great fervor to try to turn this around. :ROFLMAO:

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
Houston will hire Bienemy and then kiss Watson's ass with great fervor to try to turn this around. :ROFLMAO:

That presumes Watson doesn't lower the "trade me" boom.

I don't think hiring Bienemy changes that entirely.

I really think that Jack Easterby is the bigger issue. When ownership stood by him, essentially choosing him over Watson, it was the last straw and even Andre Johnson dropped in, specifically naming Easterby as the cancer in the organization.

In one expose on the Texans, Easterby has been likened to Littlefinger from Game of Thrones. That's not flattering.

I truly think that unless Easterby is fired, Watson is gonna ask to be traded.

I don't think the HC hire is what this hinges on. I could be wrong.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Yeah goff is 0-7 in his first 7 starts ... look who his HC was the the king of 7-9 who know what might have happened had he started that year took his lumps early and maybe he wins the next 9 . As for Watson don’t Talk to me about subpar talent and when all year long we hear is .. a great QB elevates those around him .. it shouldn’t have to be perfect for a QB to win .. it the constant double standards that those that’s dont like goff spout that’s another annoying factor

We should trade goff to Houston for Watson because goff is this that and a bag of chips .. if goffs is as bad as you all say he is there ain’t a team in the league that would take him ... and if he is good as the reason stated for Houston to take him the we should keep him
Take it easy there champ. I have done NOTHING but support JG, so don't lump me in with your perceived Goff haters.... I swear it's like some of you are in a personal relationship with these players..... Lighten up already....

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
Also, Houston has to move a player with a no trade clause.

Why is the no trade clause lost on some folks? They may not have much choice of where Watson wants to go.

And thanks to Trent Williams, we know that just holding on to a guy not only doesn't get the player to show up, but you get less...later... AND you further cement the rep around the league that you're a shit organization.

So, if Watson wants out and wants to come to the Rams... it's gonna happen.

Without that no trade clause, no one's talking about Watson going anywhere except NY or Miami... or maybe Carolina...

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Take it easy there champ. I have done NOTHING but support JG, so don't lump me in with your perceived Goff haters.... I swear it's like some of you are in a personal relationship with these players..... Lighten up already....
I’m responding to the points made in your post nothing more nothing less champ

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott

Why is the no trade clause lost on some folks? They may not have much choice of where Watson wants to go.

And thanks to Trent Williams, we know that just holding on to a guy not only doesn't get the player to show up, but you get less...later... AND you further cement the rep around the league that you're a shit organization.

Without that no trade clause, no one's talking about Watson going anywhere except NY or Miami... or maybe Carolina...
No way would they take that less in compensation. They will not move him without getting a top ten pick and Watson will want out regardless and will not want to sit around.

He already "liked" a tweet about going to the Jets. And if not the Jets I don't see why he wouldn't like Miami as well.

Rams simply have no firepower to get him and if they somehow put together a package of several 1's & 2's it would just mean Watson would eventually end up on another team gutted of talent.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
No way would they take that less in compensation. They will not move him without getting a top ten pick and Watson will want out regardless and will not want to sit around.

He already "liked" a tweet about going to the Jets. And if not the Jets I don't see why he wouldn't like Miami as well.

Rams simply have no firepower to get him and if they somehow put together a package of several 1's & 2's it would just mean Watson would eventually end up on another team gutted of talent.

I never said Watson wouldn't want to go to the Jets or Miami, just that with his no trade clause, he could simply say no.

As for less compensation, that's just incorrect. You're missing the point. If Watson said, "Rams or bust", the Texans would dick around as long as they could, but if Watson made clear he'd never show up, they'd have to deal. Have to. No question. You cannot maintain a team when no FAs want to come play for you. Remember that decade where the Rams were in that spot? Sucked. Even mid-level guys would say no.

So, if Watson demands a trade, Houston is going to HAVE TO do it. No one who's ever been involved in football disputes this. And the only time we saw a team try to do it differently, was Washington with Trent Williams and that was a complete clusterfuck with Washington somehow looking worse as if that were possible.

Honestly, I'm fine with him going to anywhere in the AFC. As long as Watson doesn't go to the 9ers, I'm cool.

Would I love Watson here? Yeah.

Could we figure it out? Yeah.

Will it happen? Likely not, but I'm not closing the door because the last time there was a "no way, it can never happen" it was Jalen Ramsey being disgruntled in Jacksonville and now he's one of our best players.

In any conventional scenario, it's not possible, but the no trade clause throws that out the window and the Texans can't just wait him out... the damage that causes in building a team is incalculable.

Anyway, there's no point in arguing. It'll happen or it won't and none of us have any say in whether it does or doesn't.

I've outlined a few reasons why the Rams might throw MUCH more at the Texans than fans think is fair or reasonable. Will they affect the outcome of Watson's destination? I have no idea.

Makes for some fun talk... and beats the shit out of thinking about Brady in another Super Bowl...this time hosting for the first time ever... and in my backyard, so I'd be swimming in that cesspool.

So yeah, I'd def rather dream about fun possibilities rn, to be quite honest.

jacktheripper85

Starter
I never said Watson wouldn't want to go to the Jets or Miami, just that with his no trade clause, he could simply say no.

As for less compensation, that's just incorrect. You're missing the point. If Watson said, "Rams or bust", the Texans would dick around as long as they could, but if Watson made clear he'd never show up, they'd have to deal. Have to. No question. You cannot maintain a team when no FAs want to come play for you. Remember that decade where the Rams were in that spot? Sucked. Even mid-level guys would say no.

So, if Watson demands a trade, Houston is going to HAVE TO do it. No one who's ever been involved in football disputes this. And the only time we saw a team try to do it differently, was Washington with Trent Williams and that was a complete clusterfuck with Washington somehow looking worse as if that were possible.

Honestly, I'm fine with him going to anywhere in the AFC. As long as Watson doesn't go to the 9ers, I'm cool.

Will it happen? Likely not, but I'm not closing the door because the last time there was a "no way, it can never happen" it was Jalen Ramsey being disgruntled in Jacksonville and now he's one of our best players.

In any conventional scenario, it's not possible, but the no trade clause throws that out the window and the Texans can't just wait him out... the damage that causes in building a team is incalculable.

Anyway, there's no point in arguing. It'll happen or it won't and none of us have any say in whether it does or doesn't.

I've outlined a few reasons why the Rams might throw MUCH more at the Texans than fans think is fair or reasonable. Will they affect the outcome of Watson's destination? I have no idea.

Makes for some fun talk... and beats the shit out of thinking about Brady in another Super Bowl...this time hosting for the first time ever... and in my backyard, so I'd be swimming in that cesspool.

First off the Jalen Ramsey deal has nothing to do with this deal. First off the Rams had a lot more to offer and secondly Ramsey didn’t have the line of suitors that Watson will have.

you also aren’t grasping the fundamentals of how a contract works and the negotiations that still occur between ownership and the players agent-even when it gets to this point.

first off Watson doesn’t get to choose explicitly who he wants to play for. He is still under contract if indeed the Texans feel they need to trade him they will tell his reps what kind of package they are looking to get back for him. Watson’s agents will put a list of possible teams that could meet those demands and put them in front of Watson. Both parties will then discuss what offer manages as close as possible to both sides demands and a deal will be made.

With the Rams draft capital vs the amount of suitors Watson will have and their draft capital the Rams won’t even make that list.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott

First I disagree. The Texans will wait it out if it meant giving him away without even getting a #1 this yr... What would be the hurry if they have to wait a yr for a #1 anyway?

So they won't give him away and he won't sit without getting paid.

His agent along with the Texans will work to go and find a deal that will make everyone happy.

Plus, I wouldn't want him if it meant giving up 3 firsts and or multiple other picks. And it would cost that because they wouldn't even get #1 this yr. So we would have no draft this year giving up any high picks we have.

And remember Aaron Rogers has reached one SB thus far. So obviously one great QB does not equal SB... You need a talented roster. So not sure you can do both. As it is this team will lose multiple starters so how do you replace them with no picks?

Will Watson magically block for himself? Will he thrive with Brian Allen hiking him the ball?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

So do you think McVay has sent him a dozen roses or maybe a ferrari or something? :LOL:

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
That's more Les Snead and Kevin Demoff, but...

I mean pretty much anything short of bending the knee and even then... "twenty bucks and a handful of Lombardis is twenty bucks and a handful of Lombardis..."

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto

I'm sure if the Rams and McVay move on from Goff, is the reason why. The pop warner turnovers and ups and downs. You literally have NO idea what Goff you're getting from game to game. You can get great Goff, or too many times lately below average to terrible Goff.

How can you trust that?

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If a wr getting 1000 yards with 4 different quarterbacks is "above average" I'll take 3 of them. Cooks is very underrated and saying he's above average is a insult to his ability.
Yeah, it's laughable for someone to say Cooks was "a bad deal on all fronts". Upon his trade and new contract, he responded with his career high in yards, highest catch rate % (over 100 targets), and had a monster 2018 post season. Without Cooks, they dont win the NFC Champ game, his over the shoulder grab led to the TD right before halftime. Then he's the best offensive player on the field for the Rams in the SB with 120 yards on 8 grabs.
He was such an obvious upgrade over Sammy Watkins, and no way was he a waste at that time.
If anything, he's an example of what seems to be a lack of patience on the Rams part. Guys seem to go from hero to zero right quick. It sure looks like Cooks regained his form in Houston, fortunately we have Akers as a result.

ottoman89

Name
Josh Otto
Yeah, it's laughable for someone to say Cooks was "a bad deal on all fronts". Upon his trade and new contract, he responded with his career high in yards, highest catch rate % (over 100 targets), and had a monster 2018 post season. Without Cooks, they dont win the NFC Champ game, his over the shoulder grab led to the TD right before halftime. Then he's the best offensive player on the field for the Rams in the SB with 120 yards on 8 grabs.
He was such an obvious upgrade over Sammy Watkins, and no way was he a waste at that time.
If anything, he's an example of what seems to be a lack of patience on the Rams part. Guys seem to go from hero to zero right quick. It sure looks like Cooks regained his form in Houston, fortunately we have Akers as a result.
In defense of trading Cooks, most of us thought he was one hit and concussion away from being done. So the right move was to try and get something for him before that.

I'm happy for him that he played healthy all year in Houston.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
How can you trust that?
How many turnovers did he have in the post season this year?
He has only 2 INT in 6 post season games, and neither legit.
1) Todd Gurley braindead lets ball bounce off his mitts
2) Gilmore should have been hit with PI on play before and pass never happens
Alas, he is recorded with only 2 turnovers in 6 post season games, Heck HOF Drew Brees had 3 INT last week and has had 2+ turnovers in 5 playoff games alone

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
In defense of trading Cooks, most of us thought he was one hit and concussion away from being done. So the right move was to try and get something for him before that.

I'm happy for him that he played healthy all year in Houston.
But that wasnt the thought when the Rams traded for Cooks and signed him to that contract, criticizing it now is Monday morning QB'ing at its finest

ottoman89

Name
Josh Otto
But that wasnt the thought when the Rams traded for Cooks and signed him to that contract, criticizing it now is Monday morning QB'ing at its finest
I wasn't aware of any concussion issues until his seasons here, frankly.