Got to say it: McVay pissed me off

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Kevin

Pro Bowler
Even the most positive Rams fans would admit that Rodgers, Brady and Roethlisberger of past years are head and shoulders better than Goff, so you sort of proved my point. In those situations, the QB has often made up for their lack of talent.
I didn’t prove your point, you changed the topic of conversation.

My point is the same, that teams can pay handsomely for a quarterback and still be successful. The problem with the Rams goes beyond Goff’s cap number, trading away multiple first round picks to move up for Goff, and to acquire Ramsey and Cooks. That makes the team performance suffer more.

Giles

Pro Bowler
Name
Giles
He's going to address the OL. No way around it. But once again if you think McVay is the problem good luck with that man. Cheers.
Sorry I'm not gonna give him a pass for his dumb decisions like some ppl are. He gambled on the oline by not replacing safford/ sully and lost horribly and then doubled down on that same dumbass decision. That's on him and yet people blame goff for that. His job is to put his players in positions to succeed and he didn't do that for 2 straight years for everyone on offense especially goff who needs good oline play. His success doesn't erase that mistake.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The poster above mentioned that Green Bay was in the same position as us a few years ago where they were barely a playoff team if that. Thats WITH the best QB in NFL history IMO
Green Bay was a playoff team 8 years in a row and only were only "barely" a playoff team when Rodgers got hurt and missed time. Until McCarthy had worn out his welcome, the Packers hadnt a losing record with Rodgers since his first year as a starter

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Sorry I'm not gonna give him a pass for his dumb decisions like some ppl are. He gambled on the oline by not replacing safford/ sully and lost horribly and then doubled down on that same dumbass decision. That's on him and yet people blame goff for that. His job is to put his players in positions to succeed and he didn't do that for 2 straight years for everyone on offense especially goff who needs good oline play. His success doesn't erase that mistake.
It is true that I am issuing him a pass on the OL. And I think I have to. He moved on from a generational RB talent and a top WR who had been ruined by concussions and still managed to field a team that got us to the divisional round.

How do you not see the value in that.

Ellard80

Legend
If mcvay is unwilling to give goff what he needs to be successful (a good oline) then he needs to trade him. We all seen what goff can do with good/bad lines and have 4 years of evidence. He needs a good oline whatever it takes if he's gonna keep goff. If he wants to go the Watson route fine but he better be hope he stays healthy.

Okay I have to jump on this... the offensive line was shitty last year... this year it was average. However our offensive production was worse this year overall... we had a better running game this year (we ran for 600 more yards this year than last year and our overall offense was worse). We ranked 11th last year in ppg and 22nd this year - with a better run game and less sacks.

I'm not blaming Goff for it all... but this narrative about how bad the offensive line is what the kids these days call "fake news"

The offensive line is nothing special... but it was not that bad

we had like the 10th ranked running attack... and were near the bottom in sacks. Against the packers they stunk in pass protection.

But that is a theme of the team as a whole... they are inconsistent.

Goff made many bad plays that had nothing to do with pass protection.

The offensive line could use improvement for sure... but blaming everything on the offensive line is a fallacy.

Last edited:

Giles

Pro Bowler
Name
Giles
It is true that I am issuing him a pass on the OL. And I think I have to. He moved on from a generational RB talent and a top WR who had been ruined by concussions and still managed to field a team that got us to the divisional round.

I do see the value in that. I'm not debating that. I'm saying the offense will never make it back to what it was without a good oline (top 10) and they will not make it to the championship and win without one.

Giles

Pro Bowler
Name
Giles
Okay I have to jump on this... the offensive line was shitty last year... this year it was average. However our offensive production was worse this year overall... we had a better running game this year (we ran for 600 more yards this year than last year and our overall offense was worse). We ranked 11th last year in ppg and 22nd this year - with a better run game and less sacks.

I'm not blaming Goff for it all... but this narrative about how bad the offensive line is what the kids these days call "fake news"

we had like the 10th ranked running attack... and were near the bottom in sacks. Against the packers they stunk in pass protection.

The offensive line could use improvement for sure... but blaming everything on the offensive line is a fallacy.
Run blocking and pass blocking are two different things and pass blocking wise the line was below average at best and that's being nice.

MachS

Hall of Fame
Okay I have to jump on this... the offensive line was shitty last year... this year it was average. However our offensive production was worse... we had a better running game this year (we ran for 600 more yars this year than last year and our passing game was worse.

Bingo. People want to make excuses for Goff IMO and that's fine. Last year it was the horrible OL and lack of running game. This year both were vastly improved relative to last year but the offensive production stays the same. What's the common denominator?

Could the OL be better? Yes of course it was more or less average this year. It wasn't great. But its hard to build an great OL when you have a QB making $35M per year. However we still had the #10 ranked rushing attack in the league. Not to mention we also had the #1 ranked defense in the NFL which helps the offense out a lot. Gets the ball back for them, gives them good field position, etc. Yet the offense didn't improve.

No shit McVay is pissed off given how the offense performed.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but try looking at our record for the last decade + before McVay. I'll take what we have over that BS any day.

Ellard80

Legend

Giles

Pro Bowler
Name
Giles
Everyone is entitled to their opinion but try looking at our record for the last decade + before McVay. I'll take what we have over that BS any day.
I can make the exact argument for goff. That's why I dont like the w/l argument because it goes both ways.

Giles

Pro Bowler
Name
Giles

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I do see the value in that. I'm not debating that. I'm saying the offense will never make it back to what it was without a good oline (top 10) and they will not make it to the championship and win without one.
I'm with you there too. Just realize that you're not gonna be able to fill all your holes in any given year. LT for example will probably remain unfilled until 2022 draft when we get our first round pick again.

And next year if Whit gets hurt God forbid there will be people laying blame for McVay rolling the dice on Whit again. And they'll be right. But in the context of the entire offseason I would give him a pass for that too because I don't see an easy way to fix LT this offseason and would definitely wait one more year.

Giles

Pro Bowler
Name
Giles
I'm with you there too. Just realize that you're not gonna be able to fill all your holes in any given year. LT for example will probably remain unfilled until 2022 draft when we get our first round pick again.

And next year if Whit gets hurt God forbid there will be people laying blame for McVay rolling the dice on Whit again. And they'll be right. But in the context of the entire offseason I would give him a pass for that too because I don't see an easy way to fix LT this offseason and would definitely wait one more year.
I'm with you. But I still believe mcvay needs to prioritize the oline way more than he does currently. Him not resigning saffold (for whatever reason) and find a real replacement for sully has proven to be real killers for the offense. Linsley from GB would be a awesome pickup and I would move heaven and earth to get him. Now the plan for LT moving forward idk because I dont trust JN in that spot and I believe next year is his last anyway.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Bingo. People want to make excuses for Goff IMO and that's fine. Last year it was the horrible OL and lack of running game. This year both were vastly improved relative to last year but the offensive production stays the same. What's the common denominator?

Could the OL be better? Yes of course it was more or less average this year. It wasn't great. But its hard to build an great OL when you have a QB making $35M per year. However we still had the #10 ranked rushing attack in the league. Not to mention we also had the #1 ranked defense in the NFL which helps the offense out a lot. Gets the ball back for them, gives them good field position, etc. Yet the offense didn't improve.

No shit McVay is pissed off given how the offense performed.
Could it be the offense has become too predictable after 4 yrs?

Also Higbee didn't do anything after his elbow injury and Everett disappeared for long stretches. Why? Did they need to stay in and block too often due to the OL shortcomings?

And Cooks was around half the season as a deep threat last yr and McVay admitted he and that element was missed.

So a lot of issues here, but I think the offense needs some diversity. Hell, in the Niners game Sherman was running our routes. So there is a need for new tweaks on O.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik

Then again, in both FA and the draft last offseason, he prioritized other things over OL. I'm really happy with how Floyd played, and Robinson gave us a good half season ... but those were choices made over bringing in OL free agents. I also like draft picks like Van Jefferson, but again, that was a choice made when there were offensive linemen on the board who could have helped us. I don't know if McVay made those choices in full, but he surely had a lot of input into them.

Bottom line is, the Gurley and Cooks situations weren't what stopped him from rebuilding the OL, it's the other choices he made in free agency and the draft, which would have happened anyway.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Yup. Would love an upgrade somewhere on the interior of the line, but these numbers seem to show a lot.
What is the stat if you remove the roll outs.

Would also like to see that broken out into pressures while executing 7 step drops etc...

Whenever they are in long yardage situations, the OL rarely held up long enough to throw it downfield. That is just the reality.

tempests

Hall of Fame
First day or two after a playoff loss, feelings still raw.

McVay might take a more optimistic tone regarding Goff once he gets a little distance from this past year and the offseason program, looking forward to the coming season, starts.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I would argue the Jets game, everyone shit the bed and the OL played poorly. Penalties, gave up a lot of pressures. Quinnen Willians lived in the backfield.

Dolphins, have to assume Goff did not do homework on the blitz.

2nd Niners gm I will put on Goff, but overall the Niners own McVay. Know his offense and he might be too predictable. He needs to change it up.

Then you also need to credit Goff for carrying the offense in the Tampa game & Cardinal road game. Also brought them back in Buffalo, but then the D gave up 3rd and longs twice on the last drive then the killer penalty.

So be fair...

That's why I said unforced errors. Not all turnovers or mistakes are equal.

The direct comp for Goff's string of terrible errors are if a RB fumbled that many times - they'd be benched.

It's different to me than an OL getting beaten. We all want Blythe replaced because he "whiffs" too much - that's the exact same as some of Goff's turnovers - not all - a lot of QBs make mistakes. It's the nature of them that was a huge problem