Emmanuel Sanders hit

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
What an awesome hit.

Watching it live, I certainly expected to see a flag.

Slo-Mo, it was clean as a whistle.

The best part about it is - every wide receiver, tight end, and RB in the league will watch that play - its getting national media attention. With McDonald, Barron, and McLeod looming around out there, teams are going to be hearing footsteps.

RamWoodie

Legend
The flag was for illegal contact on Tru22, the official wanted to make sure Denver got a 1st down.
This is the fact! If you watch the replay you will notice this:

*The flag was thrown BEFORE the hit.

*The hit happens

*Sanders is obviously in "La La Land"

*The back judge throws his hat down AFTER seeing Sanders is out of it.

It was a good hit. As I watched NFL Network NO ONE questioned that hit. It was legitimate but unfortunate. Was Mcleod supposed to back off and let the guy catch the ball? It was a BANG-BANG play with two guys running at high speed, and colliding.

Tweed335

UDFA
IMO, the violent part of that play, and probably the reason Sanders was dazed, was his head hitting the ground.

At no point did McCleod's helmet touch Sanders', at least with not enough force to cause the dude any harm.

The hit was forceful but clean, it spun Sanders around and his head hit, unabated, on the ground causing his concussion. All McCleod did was hit him legally.

Did it look devastating? Uh, yeah! But completely within the framework of what the league is trying to legislate out of the game, and that is head-to-head contact. You can't legislate shoulder-to-shoulder-head-to-ground contact, or at least it's not in the rulebook yet.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
And I absolutely hope he continues to play with that same aggression.
When in doubt, lay him out.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
It was a good clean hard hit. Sanders should blame Manning. If the throw is more accurate then he can run out of bounds.

He was held thats what the other flag was for. Had he not been interfered with he may have gotten the ball after all and not been hit.

So Tru22 was the catalyst behind the entire thing.

rams56

Bleeding Rams Blue and Gold
Name
Steve
Absolutely a penalty. Absolutely a fine.[/QUOTE]

I understand your argument but I Absolutely disagree with you....this is pro football not flag. So now it's illegal to lead with shoulder? Lol Great and I mean Great safteys like Lott, Lynch, Browner, and McDonald made they're living with these types of hits. There was no Head to Head contact and he arrived on time....not early. ....he also hit him from the side not going in opposite directions. ....and if there is a fine I would argue with that also.... he suffered his concussion when head bounced off of turf.....no injury intended. ...just intimidation. ....you lay out for the ball you pay the price.... Question: Do you have a problem with McDonald's hit later in the game? Well either way we disagree. ...but we are Rams brothers..... and that's just my opinion. ....;)

Go Rams............ ;)

Leuzer

Daniel Leu
Thought this was a perfectly legal hit on Sanders. Dictator Goodell is making the league too soft. Btw, does anyone know where I can watch the T.J. McDonald hit again?

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
He got knocked the F[_]CK out..
Fixed. LOL
I'm more concerned about whether Mcleod gets fined for the hit or not.
Stan should pay it....
As much as I've been on McLeod to get benched for not being there on too many deep passes to remember, this is like an awakening....He needed to do this...I actually think he could have made a play on the ball, but some TJ & Barron must finally be rubbing off. Simply put, that's how you play safety in the NFL...WR's must have in the back of their minds that a toll must be paid, the one Eric Davis speaks of on NFLN. The Rams have ALWAYS had physical safeties....Occasionally make a play on the ball, BALLHAWK, but mostly play through the man to the ball. It's easier, and funner....Hell, he'll be on highlight plays for the rest of the year for that hit....He should have just lowered his helmet, and in the words of Mortal Combat, "Finished Him", if he's gonna get fined anyway...
Oh, I expect about $22,500 to be lifted for a hit that may have changed our season....I've been calling for his head, Mister McLeod, you are ALMOST off the hot seat....that play between you & JJ can not keep happening....not week 11. Great play...Momentum changer....Big play.....As a buddy of mine says, " I NEED that"...Already showing the replay of the game....

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I'm pretty sure you can't launch either.
How would you make a diving tackle then? I don't think there is any rule regarding "launching" but leading with your helmet is.

@tklongball If you are talking about the McDonald hit later in the game, it was textbook. He hit the receiver with his shoulder - right to the receiver's mid section and where he was trying to put the ball away. Maybe someone will post a clip of it but it was a beautiful thing.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Couldn't disagree more. Are you then in favour (like that?) of professional boxers having to wear head gear or only being able to jab to the face? This is football - not soccer or any other sport. These guys are top flight athletes trying to beat each other in a very fast, furious, and yes violent manner. This has always been a sport about hard hits, big plays, and fierce warriors. Do these plays sometimes result in injuries? Yes. But I saw somewhere that there are more concussions occurring in the trenches with the O-linemen and D-linemen than with skill players. Are we going to head towards no helmet to helmet with them as well?

This is the NFL. Those who play in it for the most part consider themselves warriors and many of them are as weary of the calls being made as are the fans.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
IMO, the violent part of that play, and probably the reason Sanders was dazed, was his head hitting the ground.

At no point did McCleod's helmet touch Sanders', at least with not enough force to cause the dude any harm.

The hit was forceful but clean, it spun Sanders around and his head hit, unabated, on the ground causing his concussion. All McCleod did was hit him legally.

Did it look devastating? Uh, yeah! But completely within the framework of what the league is trying to legislate out of the game, and that is head-to-head contact. You can't legislate shoulder-to-shoulder-head-to-ground contact, or at least it's not in the rulebook yet.

hey tweed. i bought the robert johnson collection back in the 90s. he was alright.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
A little add to my previous statement:

I am behind the helmet to helmet rule and the spearing rule for the most part - mainly in open spaces where one or both players are going at full throttle or they are facing away from the guy lowering the boom as in the cases of blind side blocks. Though this is a violent game, I think that is akin to taking cheap shots.

And it is exacerbated in my opinion by the innovations in helmet design. I think it was Ditka who said that if you want to limit the head to head contact or defenders leading with their heads, put them back in leather helmets. I'm not saying I agree with the idea but I bet it would work. And there is no mystery as to why.

I also think that it would be a big mistake as a defender in that situation to merely try to shove or use your hands to break up THAT pass. Doing that can result in injury to the defender in broken digits, dislocated shoulders, rib injuries, etc... I realize people are often complaining about shoulder tackles - or the attempt at them. But they occur largely so that the defender can deliver a hit without breaking a limb.

tklongball

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
@tklongball If you are talking about the McDonald hit later in the game, it was textbook. He hit the receiver with his shoulder - right to the receiver's mid section and where he was trying to put the ball away. Maybe someone will post a clip of it but it was a beautiful thing.

Yes I was. I, personally didn't see any foul on either hit. I understand the ref throwing the flag on the first one when you watch it full speed, but that just reinforces the fact that those fouls should be reviewable. I haven't been able to find/see a replay of the McDonald hit, later in the game, but my feeling at the time was that it was a perfect, clean hit. Yes, you can Launch yourself at a defenseless receiver, but you can't lead with the crown or forehead, and you can't hit them in the neck/head area.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
And I absolutely hope he continues to play with that same aggression.
When in doubt, lay him out.
I'm with you, blow em up if you get the chance. If you can some how go through the mid section fine. But on this play with that angle and that speed what McLeod did was executed within the rules. Collect the fine and mail it in in a pink envelop

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Yes I was. I, personally didn't see any foul on either hit. I understand the ref throwing the flag on the first one when you watch it full speed, but that just reinforces the fact that those fouls should be reviewable. I haven't been able to find/see a replay of the McDonald hit, later in the game, but my feeling at the time was that it was a perfect, clean hit. Yes, you can Launch yourself at a defenseless receiver, but you can't lead with the crown or forehead, and you can't hit them in the neck/head area.
Yep. The definition of "defenseless" would come into play but both hits were completely legal and within the parameters of the sport. But I agree that at full speed, I too thought McLeod made an illegal hit. There should be reviews of these kinds of calls.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I'm with you, blow em up if you get the chance. If you can some how go through the mid section fine. But on this play with that angle and that speed what McLeod did was executed within the rules. Collect the fine and mail it in in a pink envelop
Or stuff the money in a shoulder bag and have it delivered.