Emmanuel Sanders hit

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
Does anyone want to break down exactly what happened on that play? I saw the highlight, but I didn't get to watch the game so it all seemed a little crazy as far as penalties go. Thanks.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
IMO it was just a good play by McCleod. As a DB you cant just let the WR catch the ball. It was a violent collision between 2 grown men both running at full speed, McCleod lead with his shoulder at hit Sanders in the shoulder, there was a little bit of helmet to helmet contact but it was a result of Sanders head whipping towards McCleod after the initial contact.

Upon further reveiw, I dont think there was helmet to helmet contact at all.

Last edited:

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Yes I can break it down as soon as the Official saw Sanders laying on the ground without the football, he thought....They're not playing the Patriots, Steelers or Cowboys so I have to throw a flag!

Ramrocket

Hating 49ers and Seahawks from afar
Name
Rod
Anyone got any footage or can point me in the right direction?

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
I don't think it was technically a penalty. They called "defenseless player" penalty. I'm not sure how else the play could be defended there. It was one of those hits that is just so vicious/violent that the refs feel the need to call a penalty. I think the thing that really rang his bell was he pinballed off the defender and his head hit the ground. It was a fantastic hit and an unfortunate injury. Not a penalty, IMO.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
It was a defenseless reciever penalty. In today's NFL, it's called 100% of the time. Rodney Mccloud was trying to assasinate him and it worked. Sanders laid out and Mccloud hit him shoulder to head at full speed. They don't allow that kind of thing anymore. But it sure was awesome lol

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
They did not score on that drive and overall the play calling was good today. They kept their hankys in their pockets mostly and we really have nothing much to bitch about. Peyton didn't bring the refs with him today.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
It was a defenseless reciever penalty. In today's NFL, it's called 100% of the time. Rodney Mccloud was trying to assasinate him and it worked. Sanders laid out and Mccloud hit him shoulder to head at full speed. They don't allow that kind of thing anymore. But it sure was awesome lol
From my perspective it doesn't look like his shoulder hits Sander's helmet. I'm fine with the penalty since refs had to watch it at full speed, and it looked pretty rough. I'm more concerned about whether Mcleod gets fined for the hit or not.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave

It was a shoulder to shoulder hit, after rewatching it I'm not sure McCleods helmet ever touched Sanders. It was a clean hit, just unfortunate that Sanders was injured.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Even the announcers were calling for reviews of penalty calls after that one. They called it text book in that McLeod led with his shoulder and hit the receiver below the helmet. It was a reaction call instead of the proper call. Of course when you lay the wood like that, a flag will come out at least 50% of the time. The difference here? The Rams didn't let the call affect their play.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW

Never touched his head. The contact was shoulder to shoulder, a clean hit. McDonald's hit later in the game was more of a hit on a "defenseless" receiver and it wasn't called at all.

The Refs can't call anything consistently anymore!

Dr C. Hill

Rookie
Name
Doc
We have heard a ton about arm strength around here lately. Manning lobbing those high arcing balloons over the middle is going to end a couple of those receivers. That should not have been called, but they had to do something, after he got knocked the heck out!

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Mike Carrey came on with the announcers and said it was a fair play by McCleod.
Rodney came in hot and drilled Sanders as the ball fell through his hands. Perfectly timed.
One of those "OUCH" plays.

Carrey said he understands why they through the flag due to the physical nature, but it was the wrong call by the offficials.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
The flag was for illegal contact on Tru22, the official wanted to make sure Denver got a 1st down.
Two flags. They accepted the one on McLeod because it was a 15 yarder.