Emmanuel Sanders hit

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
That was clearly a clean hit but it's almost impossible to tell in real time unless you have the right angle. Which is why I have absolutely no clue why penalties can't be challenged.
Refs and umpires are such prissy, self important lot that if you allow too much of their judgment to be questioned they start getting pissy

jap

Legend
If Deacon Jones or Dick Butkus had flags thrown on them after their hits, they would bitchslap the refs while on their way to Goodall's office to total him!
:lifting::coach::coach::wabbit::double::shooting::seizure::fighting:

tklongball

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The hit on Sanders was clean. Later in the game, McCleod left his feet and launched into a WR that could have been called. He hit him in the mid-section but he launched. I think that one deserved a flag if either did.

I need to see that 2nd hit again. The only thing you are not allowed to do when hitting a defenseless receiver, if you are NOT hitting him in the head is to lead with the crown of the helmet. I don't remember him doing that, but I would have to see it again. The first hit was clean and shouldn't have been a penalty, and I don't remember thinking the 2nd one should have been either.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I need to see that 2nd hit again. The only thing you are not allowed to do when hitting a defenseless receiver, if you are NOT hitting him in the head is to lead with the crown of the helmet. I don't remember him doing that, but I would have to see it again. The first hit was clean and shouldn't have been a penalty, and I don't remember thinking the 2nd one should have been either.
I'm pretty sure you can't launch either.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
I guess I just don't understand what they want players to do now. It sounds like they want him to catch it, wait for him to notice you are ready to tackle him and then proceed to tackle him. Which is fucking ludicrous. I wish they had a show on NFL network that would explain exactly what players are supposed to do in those scenarios. Like have the top refs in the league go over questionable penalties and then proceed to demonstrate exactly what they were supposed to do. Because I think it would really shit on goodell's attempt at player safety since they wouldn't know what else to do themselves.

tklongball

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Here is what I find about it (Although I didn't spend a lot of time looking):

(b) Prohibited contact against a player who is in a defenseless posture is:

(1) Forcibly hitting the defenseless player’s head or neck area with the helmet, face mask, forearm, or shoulder, regardless of whether the defensive player also uses his arms to tackle the defenseless player by encircling or grasping him; and
(2) Lowering the head and making forcible contact with the top/crown or forehead/"hairline" parts of the helmet against any part of the defenseless player’s body.

Note: The provisions of (2) do not prohibit incidental contact by the mask or helmet in the course of a conventional tackle on an opponent.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
The online poll results so far on if it should have been a penalty:
image.jpg

I have to say that it was an incredibly vicious hit by any standards. The form on the hit was nearly perfect but he leveled Sanders to an extent that is painful to watch. There is no doubt that the NFL will fine McLeod. Whether he should be or not is debatable, but the NFL will fall on the side of safety.
image.jpg

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
McLeod is so hit or miss with me and hes cost us some comes. he comes up with some big plays but then cant cover or communicate with his teammates in coverage. He's blow that same coverage multiple times. i just dont get it with him sometimes. if that play wasnt blown then the Ram defense would've shutout denver completely. whens the last time that happened? either way that might be an area to look at in FA or the draft.

fearsomefour

Legend
I have been as forgiving as the officials (thinking they usually make the right call) this year, but, to me this was not a flag. The problem with vague rules like "defenseless receiver" is it means nothing. A guy can be defenseless if his back is to the defender, if he is running toward a defender with his head turned....I guess the defender is just supposed to let him catch the ball. Basically the rule is enforced if a hit is hard and looks like a guy might get hurt it is flagged, doesn't matter if it is legal or not. Asking refs to be able to distinguish between a clean hit and an unintentional helmet to helmet hit at games speeds, often from bad angles, is just silly. Come on NFL, do something smart for once a make plays like this open to quick review. NBA reviews take a few seconds generally.
This was a clean hit to me.

Rambition

Rookie
It was a defenseless reciever penalty. In today's NFL, it's called 100% of the time. Rodney Mccloud was trying to assasinate him and it worked. Sanders laid out and Mccloud hit him shoulder to head at full speed. They don't allow that kind of thing anymore. But it sure was awesome lol
what i saw was that there was little helmet-to-helmet contact, if any, and even if there was, it was secondary.

The problem is if you're going to do a perfect tackle like that, and still get fined, there's really nothing stopping you from thinking "Fuck it I'm getting fined anyway may as well go all out to injure him and give my team an advantage". So it's up to Goodell, fine him and cross that line, or don't.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That was McDonald, but yeah, I agree.

Poor Caldwell. Manning put that ball just in the right spot which begged a db to absolutely demolish him.

Ed mccaffery must have even winced when he saw that ball delivered.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Poor Caldwell. Manning put that ball just in the right spot which begged a db to absolutely demolish him.

Ed mccaffery must have even winced when he saw that ball delivered.

Yeah, I feel bad for those Denver receivers, but there was really nowhere else the passes could have gone. Unfortunately for them, we have some freight trains out there ready to level anyone who gets close.

lockdnram21

Legend
im watching mike and mike. They said it was a vicious hit but it was legal. They said it looked worse in real time. They said Nfl should do like college and if you think theres a penalty for defenseless resceiver or hit to head you should throw the flag and then take 10 seconds to review it and if its legal pick up flag

Big Game

Living The Dream

I was at the game it was a legal hit that looked like head to head. The defender actually lead with his shoulder and the ref so it a different way. Easy to see when you slow it down on replay not so much when its full speed.

Just glad the Broncos didn't score on that play. All in all the defense was lights out yesterday and laid the wood.

It was so much fun giving the tons of Bronco fans the business.
:sneaky:(y):double::cheers:

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
I was at the game it was a legal hit that looked like head to head. The defender actually lead with his shoulder and the ref so it a different way. Easy to see when you slow it down on replay not so much when its full speed.

Just glad the Broncos didn't score on that play. All in all the defense was lights out yesterday and laid the wood.

It was so much fun giving the tons of Bronco fans the business.
:sneaky:(y):double::cheers:

Were you in the group singing hey hey hey goodbye when they started to leave? That was the best lol

Big Game

Living The Dream
Were you in the group singing hey hey hey goodbye when they started to leave? That was the best lol

Yes sir me and my boy started up the chant!!!! I told him we had to do it since there was soooooooooooooo many Bronco fans there. It was priceless i'm still trying to get my voice back from talking so much trash.