Eagles release Evan Mathis

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
You are so very correct here. The Rams have one serious long list of current players who will enter free agency after this season is over.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/2016/st.-louis-rams/

It would appear from all that I can find that Mathis desires a two yr deal worth somewhere around 12 to 13 million. That sure would impeded the Ram Org from resigning our own youthful talented FA's. Is this really what true Ram fans want?

Kind of a simplistic approach to looking at next years CAP, wouldn't you think ?

You are not mentioning that guys like Chris Long & Cook are likely going to be either restructured, extended or released, and Laurinaitis could also become a CAP casualty. The dead money for all 3 of these players drops dramatically next year, the chances of a 30+ year old Chris Long's 2016 CAP hit of $14.5 mil & Cook's $8.mil + Cap hit going untouched is highly unlikely imo. The Rams could easily have as much as $50mil - $55.mil or more in CAP space next year, much depending on what happens with these 3 guys. The overall CAP will likely rise another $10.mil as it has done the last few years, and the Rams will once again be selective in who they choose to bring back. Often enough, the first year in multi-year contracts are fairly CAP friendly, so 2016 isn't necessarily the disaster scenario being presented here. The real question for me is at QB, and whether Foles signs long term at a reasonable price, or will we enter the sweepstakes for a top rated candidate in the draft for what appears to be a quality QB heavy year. If we use our first round pick (and possibly even our extra 2'nd from the Foles/Bradford trade to move up), the CAP hit for a QB remains low for several more years.

Either way, I would jump at the opportunity to improve while adding a quality veteran like Mathis to our roster, especially if short-term.

3 years, $20.mil. contract (2015 $6.mil, 2016 $7.mil & 2017 $7.mil) with playing time, play-off & pro-bowl incentives.
$10.mil guaranteed

Mathis is a no-brainer imo. More than likely we already have future replacement players for Saffold & Mathis already on roster, but this gives us great depth on an otherwise very inexpensive O-Line. Surrounding the young guys with solid veteran talent for a couple years will only enhance their learning curve while getting them prepared & up to speed for the longer run, ... could be just enough veteran help to make a difference for a young team looking for a play-off berth. And just because you sign a guy for multiple years doesn't mean you need to keep him that long. jmo.

Last edited:

RamzFanz

Damnit
Damn it! PAY FOR HIM! He's arguably the best guard in the NFL. No?

Worry about THIS season, it's been too damned long!

SCREW the cap, SCREW next season, explode this bitch and let the bean counters deal with next season!

(just make sure we can dump him after a season and not have a big hit :sneaky:)

wqXQSVh.gif

A55VA6

Legend
Broncos will probably end up getting him. They need alot of OL help, and they're a "contender".

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River

I've seen the list, that's why i'm comfortable making my observation.

First, 2016 will add another 6 or 7 lower cost draftees to the roster.
Of the mentioned free agents i'd definitely like to retain, with consideration to 2015 being successful & healthy for them, Fairley, Quick, Jenkins, Zuerlein & Harkey rank highest for me. Barron and the RB Cunningham rank next, ... so i'd look to re-sign those 7, the rest imo are just players that are rather easily replaceable, although Keenum may or may not be an 8'th, just depends on his pre-season production.
In 2016, both Sims & Hayes will be 30+, and I wouldn't be all that surprised to see one of them replaced following this seasons camp. Trumaine Johnson may also be displaced by Gaines this season, so i'm not seeing him as a threat to our 2016 CAP. McCleod & Givens are on my third tier of keepers, ... won't command much, but I like what they bring. Foles is the only real question, and if he overprices his services, could be replaced by our drafting a QB high with our own first & the Philly 2'nd we received for Bradford, and in that case, our QB CAP remains inexpensive for years to come. As for the rest, they are easily replaceable imo, some in free agency, some in the draft. I'm far from worried about the 2016 CAP at this point in time, ... we have plenty of options remaining. And with all this, the first year of any new long-term contract often brings a CAP hit which is excessively reasonable, even those which are primarily front loaded. jmo.

Last edited:

ram007

Starter
I am pessimistic about Rams future in 2016. So I want to go all in on 2015.

Bradford never had a an average OL when he is healthy. So it is tough to evaluate Bradford. So,I want to see Foles given the best available OL to see if he is the QB of the future. And some notable Rams players Jenkins, Quick will be going into free agency next year. If this OL sucks, Rams may lose Foles in FA. So they may effectively be looking for OL help, Defensive help and a QB in 2016. That is a sucky situation.

So let's rent Mathis for this year and next and see what Mr.Foles can offer. I am talking up Mathis since he is the best FA on the market bar none.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
He was OK but not special and he wasn't exactly a highly coveted free agent when the Eagles signed him. He excelled at a lower weight in the Eagles ZBS. Now in his mid-30s you're asking him to join a team that predominantly runs a power blocking scheme, undoubtedly put back on some weight which will cost him the quickness that made him a Pro Bowler in the first place.

I'm not foaming at the mouth to ink him if you can't tell. :ROFLMAO:

That said, given our current state, if he's reasonable with his asking price, I have no issues with him on a one-year prove-it deal.

Personally I'd rather get Blalock on the phone again.

I don't really see why a guy with his resume would be even a little bit inclined to sign a "prove it" deal...

RamzFanz

Damnit
I've seen the list, that's why i'm comfortable making my observation.

First, 2016 will add another 6 or 7 lower cost draftees to the roster.
Of the mentioned free agents i'd definitely like to retain, with consideration to 2015 being successful & healthy for them, Fairley, Quick, Jenkins, Zuerlein & Harkey rank highest for me. Barron and the RB Cunningham rank next, ... so i'd look to re-sign those 7, the rest imo are just players that are rather easily replaceable, although Keenum may or may not be an 8'th, just depends on his pre-season production.
In 2016, both Sims & Hayes will be 30+, and I wouldn't be all that surprised to see one of them replaced following this seasons camp. Trumaine Johnson may also be displaced by Gaines this season, so i'm not seeing him as a threat to our 2016 CAP. McCleod & Givens are on my third tier of keepers, ... won't command much, but I like what they bring. Foles is the only real question, and if he overprices his services, could be replaced by our drafting a QB high with our own first & the Philly 2'nd we received for Bradford, and in that case, our QB CAP remains inexpensive for years to come. As for the rest, they are easily replaceable imo, some in free agency, some in the draft. I'm far from worried about the 2016 CAP at this point in time, ... we have plenty of options remaining. And with all this, the first year of any new long-term contract often brings a CAP hit which is excessively reasonable, even those which are primarily front loaded. jmo.

Your name is river, rum, BBQ, which makes you just slightly less intriguing to ocean, bourbon, poontang... but it is cool.

...but, I digress. What you are saying is sad.

6 or 7 lower cost draftees? What? How many make the team and how many excell THREE YEARS from now?

When you count draftees for next season, you KILL if you get an Aaron Donald. Rarely you get a Quinn who takes years to develop. Most times you get a player that takes 2-4 seasons to just become good.

You rank Zuerlein and Harkey over Cunningham?

Again, I love me some Zuerlein and Harkey, but Zuerlein has probably lost us as many games as he won. He's a badass long kicker, sometimes, but not a badass kicker. Morten Anderson was a badass kicker.

Harkey has had what? 6 big plays in his time with the Rams?

You think the rest of the list are easily replaceable?

What?! Replaceable with what? Rookies? High priced vets who have never played with this Rams?

You must be trolling. You place no value on seasoning or continuity or raw talent.

You would be the guy who traded/cut Young, Faulk, Warner or Bettis for 6 birds in the bush, yes?

RAGRam

Pro Bowler
What with the "Chip Kelly is racist" I imagine this is how Mathis took the news

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
"The Eagles just released Evan Mathis" -Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet)

"Evan Mathis was our top graded OG from 2011-13, and was 2nd last year in just 9 games. Best OG in the game now available. #OnYourMarks" -Pro Football Focus (@PFF)

Just shows how flawed PFF's grading system is. These guys have tried to pass Mathis off as the best OG in the NFL over the past four years. And it's simply not true.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Damn it! PAY FOR HIM! He's arguably the best guard in the NFL. No?

Worry about THIS season, it's been too damned long!

SCREW the cap, SCREW next season, explode this bitch and let the bean counters deal with next season!

(just make sure we can dump him after a season and not have a big hit :sneaky:)

wqXQSVh.gif

No. The answer is no.

He isn't elite. He's not the best OG in the NFL. It's arguable that he isn't even a top 5 OG in the NFL. Mathis is colossally overrated because PFF's grading system has ended up being one big Evan Mathis circle-jerk.

He's a good OG but he's not elite. Same was true when he was in Cincy. Cincy was stupid not to play him more but all this hype about him being elite is just not true.

If he's elite and the best OG in the NFL (or even top 3)...why did nobody trade for him? Why did nobody offer anything for him? Why did the Eagles cut him? It's not like this was a surprise move. The guy has been on the block for months. And yet, nothing. It reminds me of some other players that PFF ranked as good or even great starters that got cut and were greeted with nothing in the way of offers or job security.

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
I had 2 thoughts regarding this ;

1) Cap ramifications
2) commitment to younger OL

1) a) Rams already passed on Barksdale. I think he was seeking 4-mil + for the season and the Rams said no. Why would they now give 5-mil to a 34 year old player?
b) At 5-mil, who would the Rams restructure to make room for Mathis? They only have about 8-mil left on the cap yes?

2) The Rams have already gone all in on the youth movement on the OL. Do you push back the development of Jamon Brown to make room for Mathis? I'm not sure I would like to.

Summary: Considering we're going into Fisher's 4th year year, sometimes a team needs to spend money on a Free agent that could possibly push them over the top. Maybe Mathis could be this player. However at 5-mil per season at his age I'm reluctant unless they could get him on a Cap friendly deal with incentives.
I'm high on Jamon Brown. I want to see what he has this season and see the the whole O-line grow as a young group.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Your name is river, rum, BBQ, which makes you just slightly less intriguing to ocean, bourbon, poontang... but it is cool.

...but, I digress. What you are saying is sad.

6 or 7 lower cost draftees? What? How many make the team and how many excell THREE YEARS from now?

When you count draftees for next season, you KILL if you get an Aaron Donald. Rarely you get a Quinn who takes years to develop. Most times you get a player that takes 2-4 seasons to just become good.

You rank Zuerlein and Harkey over Cunningham?

Again, I love me some Zuerlein and Harkey, but Zuerlein has probably lost us as many games as he won. He's a badass long kicker, sometimes, but not a badass kicker. Morten Anderson was a badass kicker.

Harkey has had what? 6 big plays in his time with the Rams?

You think the rest of the list are easily replaceable?

What?! Replaceable with what? Rookies? High priced vets who have never played with this Rams?

You must be trolling. You place no value on seasoning or continuity or raw talent.

You would be the guy who traded/cut Young, Faulk, Warner or Bettis for 6 birds in the bush, yes?

WOW

That was quite an attack. Accuse me of trolling and going after my admittedly lame handle, ... pretty amazing from this opinion forum. I wasn't expecting it on ROD, but ... whatever.

I'm guessing you misunderstood my second post after being originally questioned by flv, but I definitely stand by both of my posts. If not misunderstood, then truly amazed. It basically comes down to whether I would rather have a quality starting LG for a couple years or a slew of free agent back-ups who are likely easily replaceable thru the draft and free agency. Your attack on draftees is absurd as this is exactly how Fisher wants to build his team, using younger & better quality talent to phase out the older and less reliable.
There are several Rams free agents next year, 24 of them based on flv's list, although a few of them may be replaced or displaced as early as this coming 2015 camp. We know that 6 or 7 players will be replaced as they are every year, by means of the draft, and some are likely to be re-signed between now and the opening of the 2016 free agency period, ... no guessing how many that will be. Of the 24 potential free agents, I've mentioned 10 to key on re-signing (from my point of view), of the remaining 14 roster players, 6 or 7 will be added thru the draft. I imagine a couple of those 2016 free agents being replaced thru the 2015 camp process, so lets say that leaves 5 or 6 players in the lesser rankings of players to replace via free agency, some of our own, and some from outside, ... big deal ! As i've mentioned a couple times, Foles is the missing link for addressing how a QB effects our CAP next season, that and whatever savings is brought about by extending/restructuring Chris Long & Cook. At the moment, I see no worries over the 2016 CAP. jmo.

Last edited:

RamzFanz

Damnit
WOW

That was quite an attack. Accuse me of trolling and going after my admittedly lame handle, ... pretty amazing from this opinion forum. I wasn't expecting it on ROD, but ... whatever.

I guess you missed my second post after being originally questioned by flv, but I definitely stand by both of my posts. It basically comes down to whether I would rather have a quality starting LG for a couple years or a slew of free agent back-ups who are likely easily replaceable thru the draft and free agency. Your attack on draftees is absurd as this is exactly how Fisher wants to build his team, using younger & better quality talent to phase out the older and less reliable.
There are several Rams free agents next year, 24 of them based on flv's list, although a few of them may be replaced or displaced as early as this coming 2015 camp. We know that 6 or 7 players will be replaced as they are every year, by means of the draft, and some are likely to be re-signed between now and the opening of the 2016 free agency period, ... no guessing how many that will be. Of the 24 potential free agents, I've mentioned 10 to key on re-signing (from my point of view), of the remaining 14 roster players, 6 or 7 will be added thru the draft. I imagine a couple of those 2016 free agents being replaced thru the 2015 camp process, so lets say that leaves 5 or 6 players in the lesser rankings of players to replace via free agency, some of our own, and some from outside, ... big deal ! As i've mentioned a couple times, Foles is the missing link for addressing how a QB effects our CAP next season, that and whatever savings is brought about by extending/restructuring Chris Long & Cook. At the moment, I see no worries over the 2016 CAP. jmo.

I was actually complimenting your handle, sarcastically. Sorry if I came off wrong.

My "attack on draftees" is just saying you are lucky to get one starter a season and a developmental player is a bonus. It's fact, not an attack.

GIF-what-George-C.-Scott-Dr.-Strangelove-GIF.gif

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Holy shyte!

This is what can happen when you build a team from the draft and do a lot of one year "prove it" deals... a lot of the contracts come due at the same time.

Kind of like buying a brand new house... because all the components were installed at the same time, it's likely they'll all crap out about the same time.

Painful... both situations.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I was actually complimenting your handle, sarcastically. Sorry if I came off wrong.

My "attack on draftees" is just saying you are lucky to get one starter a season and a developmental player is a bonus. It's fact, not an attack.

GIF-what-George-C.-Scott-Dr.-Strangelove-GIF.gif

Maybe if you are drafting like the Browns or Raiders. How many starters did we draft last season? GRob, Tre, Gaines....oh, and that Donald guy. Yes, we had 2 1st rounders, but still. I agree with @Riverumbbq that you absolutely HAVE to expect young players and draft picks to contribute in this age of FA.