Eagles release Evan Mathis

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

iced

I think and they probably think that all that extra cash they could come up with should be saved to sign all the Rams own FAs next year. Although a 1 year rental would work for us it more than likely it wouldn't work for him. :(

A one or 2 year rental would be worth it.. imo...

When was the last time you could really count on Saffold to be healthy for a full season?

Not to mention the Veteran presence and experience he'd bring to the youngsters... And of course, there's also the fact that he's been one of the top guards in football the past couple years..With him, our Guards become the best asset on the o-line. Playing next to an all-pro LT (Peters) and all-pro C (Kelce) I would think could be valuable for Robinson and the guys competing for center

iced

Yeah, now all we have to do is convince Mathis it's a good idea.:cautious: :unsure:

I'd give him a 2 year contract and tell him "We'll keep paying you as long as your level of play warrants it" - simple as that.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If any team is willing to give him big money, he'll be priced out of the Rams price. Signing him to a big contract would likely mean that keeping somebody the Rams would like to keep next offseason won't happen. And it's unlikely he would sign with the Rams for a small contract

Alan

Legend
Akrasian not seeing it:
If any team is willing to give him big money, he'll be priced out of the Rams price. Signing him to a big contract would likely mean that keeping somebody the Rams would like to keep next offseason won't happen. And it's unlikely he would sign with the Rams for a small contract
My thoughts exactly.

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
Its a ton to weigh out when looking at all the possibilities of guys we might retain from next years FA's mixed in with the thoughts of what a healthy Mathis COULD add right now to a team that cannot afford another slow start as we have a tough schedule till our BYE for sure. No way do I join a buying competition as they hope to start. It will come down to the most desperate team with a major hole and the money on hand as we all know. I'm sure $$$ will be more important than his shot at a ring as in todays NFL no team is a lock anymore. I see next year as wide open as ever unless the Packers are totally healthy after camp and I don't think they are one that might be interested. Its so freakin hot in Miami Mathis will have to think about if he is physically ready for that shock to his aging body. Its really hot everywhere now really as I live in Florida but get the gulf sea Breezs that save our asses and then see how just north of us the Falcons inland are roasting. I really want Mathis . I just don't want to pay HIS price. I wanna bargain and no way in hell will we get one. Wish Foles was his best friend in life and could help us but this is his final payday and no friendship is gonna effect that. None. Let it all play out. Just don't want the seahags to sign him now.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I'm pretty sure he'll go to Denver. They have a ZBS, plenty of cap money, a wicked bad need for blocking and Peyton Manning in what may be his last year so you KNOW any remaining cap money should be spent on the OL. The fact that one of the better ZBS Guards is available is a God send for Denver and I can't imagine anyone outbidding them once Mathis and Rosenhaus get serious about him signing.

Alan

Legend
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/06/19/evan-mathis-im-ready-for-my-best-year-yet/
Evan Mathis: I’m ready for my best year yet
Posted by Josh Alper on June 19, 2015, 3:18 PM EDT
cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznpwywy2rmnje2ytmxnmqwzmrjmzfmyte0zda3zjnjodax-e1434741510801.jpeg
Getty Images
Now that Evan Mathis is on the open market after his release by the Eagles, teams have to weigh whether or not they want to make a bid for the 33-year-old as a free agent.

One thing they’ll do before making that call is look at film of Mathis’s 2014 play for Philly, something that Doug Farrar of SI.com did this week with the help of Mathis himself. In an interesting piece that’s worth a read (Here: http://www.si.com/nfl/2015/06/19/evan-mathis-contract-eagles-offseason-chip-kelly) in full, Mathis breaks down five plays that appeared to be poor ones for Mathis last season to provide insight into what he was supposed to do on the play and what went right or wrong in the execution.

Farrar was left with the opinion that Mathis would fit best on a team that runs “a zone-blocking system with a lot of slide protection and combo blocks” to take advantage of his quickness and Mathis sent a message to teams considering making a run at signing him in the coming weeks.

“My body of work was limited last year due to the injury,” Mathis said. “I’m very much ready to come back strong for an entire season and have my best year yet. I’ll listen to the age talk when I lose a step.”

We should find out soon which teams are willing to make that bet on Mathis.

paceram

Pro Bowler
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/06/19/evan-mathis-im-ready-for-my-best-year-yet/
Evan Mathis: I’m ready for my best year yet
Posted by Josh Alper on June 19, 2015, 3:18 PM EDT
cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznpwywy2rmnje2ytmxnmqwzmrjmzfmyte0zda3zjnjodax-e1434741510801.jpeg
Getty Images
Now that Evan Mathis is on the open market after his release by the Eagles, teams have to weigh whether or not they want to make a bid for the 33-year-old as a free agent.

One thing they’ll do before making that call is look at film of Mathis’s 2014 play for Philly, something that Doug Farrar of SI.com did this week with the help of Mathis himself. In an interesting piece that’s worth a read (Here: http://www.si.com/nfl/2015/06/19/evan-mathis-contract-eagles-offseason-chip-kelly) in full, Mathis breaks down five plays that appeared to be poor ones for Mathis last season to provide insight into what he was supposed to do on the play and what went right or wrong in the execution.

Farrar was left with the opinion that Mathis would fit best on a team that runs “a zone-blocking system with a lot of slide protection and combo blocks” to take advantage of his quickness and Mathis sent a message to teams considering making a run at signing him in the coming weeks.

“My body of work was limited last year due to the injury,” Mathis said. “I’m very much ready to come back strong for an entire season and have my best year yet. I’ll listen to the age talk when I lose a step.”

We should find out soon which teams are willing to make that bet on Mathis.

Personally, I would like to see the Rams at least consider signing him BUT only at a very, very reasonable (For the Rams!) contract!

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
Apparently the number of really interested parties at this point is ZERO...Let's see what he ends up getting...I'm just a little tired of expensive, getting a bit long in the tooth veterans coming off injury...