Eagles release Evan Mathis

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Zero guaranteed money on his deal? I find that hard to believe.

Hard to believe or not, it's true. None of the base salary for the final two years is guaranteed.

Alan

Legend
BTW @jrry32 , I'm not arguing with your contention that Mathis isn't a top guard. I haven't seen him play so I won't and can't legitimately comment about that. It's just those three questions you posed that I found fault with.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Because Of his age and the fact that he wasn't being offered in trade?
Because he wasn't on the trading block?

From rotoworld:
Eagles coach Chip Kelly confirmed LG Evan Mathis has been on the trade block for two seasons.
"Evan Mathis has been available for trade for two years," Kelly said, "and there have been no offers." Unhappy with his contract situation, Mathis is available for trade by his own request. The Eagles have given him the freedom to pursue a trade and new contract, but as of now Mathis has not found any takers. With the draft all but over, Mathis will likely remain with the Eagles in 2015. He is scheduled to make $5.5 million this season.

I have to disagree with you, Alan.

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
From the over the cap website it says the RAMS have 9.1 Mill to sign our rookies and tie up all loose ends and that would leave us with plenty to pay a guy like Mathis if Fisher and Snead are interested. I'll leave it up to them and hope we don't have the nightmare of injuries we incurred on the OL in pre-season and during the season last year and the years before. Have no clue why it keeps happening. Its becoming a natural thing for all teams in the NFL when you look at all teams. Only a handfull have escaped with just a few injuries. Most of those moved on to playoffs. Some teams you'd think would be interested may have used up the funds to sign Mathis. Lets see how it unwinds.

Alan

Legend
jrry32 setting me straight:
Eagles coach Chip Kelly confirmed LG Evan Mathis has been on the trade block for two seasons.
"Evan Mathis has been available for trade for two years," Kelly said, "and there have been no offers." Unhappy with his contract situation, Mathis is available for trade by his own request. The Eagles have given him the freedom to pursue a trade and new contract, but as of now Mathis has not found any takers. With the draft all but over, Mathis will likely remain with the Eagles in 2015. He is scheduled to make $5.5 million this season.
That certainly sheds a different light on the situation. Thanks for giving me the real skinny. (y) Here's what I was going on:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...h-hands-of-evan-mathis-dont-try-to-trade-him/
PFT Live: Eagles wash hands of Evan Mathis, don’t try to trade him
Posted by NBCSports.com on June 12, 2015, 2:16 PM EDT
Evan Mathis got his way; he wanted more money or out of Philadelphia and he was granted his release. Mike Florio speculated what went down on the Eagles’ side of thinking and where the guard may land.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
That certainly sheds a different light on the situation. Thanks for giving me the real skinny. (y) Here's what I was going on:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...h-hands-of-evan-mathis-dont-try-to-trade-him/
PFT Live: Eagles wash hands of Evan Mathis, don’t try to trade him
Posted by NBCSports.com on June 12, 2015, 2:16 PM EDT
Evan Mathis got his way; he wanted more money or out of Philadelphia and he was granted his release. Mike Florio speculated what went down on the Eagles’ side of thinking and where the guard may land.
Now we will find out what the Market will offer Him. we will see if the Rams think he's in their ballpark money wise!!

Alan

Legend
DaveFan'51 thinking there's a chance:
Now we will find out what the Market will offer Him.
we will see if the Rams think he's in their ballpark money wise!!
I'm not sure they're even interested in him. They have so many new O-line players it would really be hard to get a decent look at all of them with Mathis in the house too. PLus he's only a short term solution. I'll bet they wait to see how all our new guys look in pads up against our D-line before they do anything. Mathis will probably be gone by then.

I agree, it's gonna be interesting to see.

Alan

Legend
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/06/14/evan-mathis-wont-necessarily-rush-into-new-deal/

Evan Mathis won’t “necessarily rush” into new deal
Posted by Josh Alper on June 14, 2015, 7:28 AM EDT

The Eagles released guard Evan Mathis last week after more than a year of the veteran pushing for a new contract with the organization, leaving the Eagles to find a new starting job and Mathis to find a new team.

His agent Drew Rosenhaus said that Mathis might not sign with that team in the immediate future. While appearing on The Joe Rose Show on WQAM in Miami, Rosenhaus said that “at least half a dozen” teams have already reached out to him about Mathis’s services and that they would take their time weighing their options.

“It’s wide open and there’s a lot of interest in Evan,” Rosenhaus said. “Between now and the start of training camp, I definitely expect him to have a new home. I think we’ll be methodical, we won’t necessarily rush into signing immediately.”

Rosenhaus wouldn’t name any of the teams, saying only that he’s heard from “the usual suspects” when asked about interest from the Dolphins, and wouldn’t say what would be the most significant factor in Mathis’s ultimate decision. Given his desire for a contract that would pay him more than the $5.5 million he was set to make with the Eagles this year, however, it seems likely that he’ll be trying for more and that may be part of the reason for an extended timeline to find his next home.

:LOL:

paceram

Pro Bowler
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/06/14/evan-mathis-wont-necessarily-rush-into-new-deal/

Evan Mathis won’t “necessarily rush” into new deal
Posted by Josh Alper on June 14, 2015, 7:28 AM EDT

The Eagles released guard Evan Mathis last week after more than a year of the veteran pushing for a new contract with the organization, leaving the Eagles to find a new starting job and Mathis to find a new team.

His agent Drew Rosenhaus said that Mathis might not sign with that team in the immediate future. While appearing on The Joe Rose Show on WQAM in Miami, Rosenhaus said that “at least half a dozen” teams have already reached out to him about Mathis’s services and that they would take their time weighing their options.

“It’s wide open and there’s a lot of interest in Evan,” Rosenhaus said. “Between now and the start of training camp, I definitely expect him to have a new home. I think we’ll be methodical, we won’t necessarily rush into signing immediately.”

Rosenhaus wouldn’t name any of the teams, saying only that he’s heard from “the usual suspects” when asked about interest from the Dolphins, and wouldn’t say what would be the most significant factor in Mathis’s ultimate decision. Given his desire for a contract that would pay him more than the $5.5 million he was set to make with the Eagles this year, however, it seems likely that he’ll be trying for more and that may be part of the reason for an extended timeline to find his next home.

:LOL:

Maybe, Mathis will get a team to meet his salary demands but I think we all saw how waiting worked out for Joe Barksdale (Not saying Barksdale is as good as Mathis)!

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Well, as it turns out, Barksdale should have waited a few more days. Literally a few more. Just days after Barks signed, both Clady and another OT went down with season ending injuries, iirc. So, he couldn't win for losing based on timing.

I think Drew Rosenhaus righfully so will wait until TC because...why sign before? Only injuries can occur before then and that only GROWS the potential pool. It's highly unlikely any rookie or middling vet blows up during OTAs enough to become "the solution" for any FO enough to remove them from considering Evan Mathis.

Which mean... like everything else...we as fans... have to wait.

/sigh.

I guess it's time to meditate. Namaste.

prayer-yoga-meditation-position-7982797.jpg

Alan

Legend
paceram thinking Mathis has little leverage:
Maybe, Mathis will get a team to meet his salary demands but I think we all saw how waiting worked out for Joe Barksdale (Not saying Barksdale is as good as Mathis)!
I agree with your thought that he'll probably not get the pay raise he was hoping for. If he gets a two year deal at his age it will probably have an easily avoidable 2nd year as part of the deal but with a combined figure that will make his stance appear to have been successful.

I agree with Mac that they'll probably wait to sign until the number of suitors is maximized.

Last edited:

iced

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/3216/evan-mathis
Free agent LG Evan Mathis has received interest from "at least half a dozen" teams, according to agent Drew Rosenhaus.

"It's wide open and there's a lot of interest," Rosenhaus added. "The contract has been an issue, so that's a factor. We won't necessarily rush into signing immediately." Mathis was seeking an extension that would pay him top-five guard money prior to his release. The Dolphins, Patriots, and Rams have been previously linked to Mathis, while the Bills are reportedly doing their due diligence. 33-year-old Mathis was PFF’s second-overall guard last season. Jun 13 - 7:49 PM

-----------------------------------

wonder if there's still some there

MauiRam

Rookie
Well, as it turns out, Barksdale should have waited a few more days. Literally a few more. Just days after Barks signed, both Clady and another OT went down with season ending injuries, iirc. So, he couldn't win for losing based on timing.

I think Drew Rosenhaus righfully so will wait until TC because...why sign before? Only injuries can occur before then and that only GROWS the potential pool. It's highly unlikely any rookie or middling vet blows up during OTAs enough to become "the solution" for any FO enough to remove them from considering Evan Mathis.

Which mean... like everything else...we as fans... have to wait.
Or wait until after training camp when teams know what they have, or don't have respectively. Spot on as regards Barks - coulda woulda shoulda ..

Alan

Legend
MauiRam with this thought:
Or wait until after training camp when teams know what they have, or don't have respectively. Spot on as regards Barks - coulda woulda shoulda ..
I'm not sure that waiting until after TC would be a good idea Maui. How long would it take him to learn their offense? That's OK if it's just a backup for insurance you're getting because you'd have some weeks to at least get him part way up to speed but a high priced starter would probably be much more problematical.

RamBill

Legend
Evan Mathis a good fit for Rams but are they for him?
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/p...this-a-good-fit-for-rams-but-are-they-for-him

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- Given the youth the St. Louis Rams are projected to start on their offensive line in 2015, there's not an available solid, veteran option that hasn't been mentioned as a possibility to sign with the team.

So within minutes of the Philadelphia Eagles releasing two-time Pro Bowl guard Evan Mathis Rams fans everywhere began wondering if the team would pursue him. The Rams were rumored to have interest in Mathis via trade back in March, but those rumors were overblown. Now, they aren't likely to make a real run at Mathis unless his price drops.

Considering that the Rams are currently using third-round rookie Jamon Brown at right guard, Mathis would be a logical fit from a purely football perspective.

Mathis has long been considered one of the league's best interior linemen. Even though he's 33, Mathis has gotten better with age. He's been to each of the past two Pro Bowls and was an All-Pro in 2013. For what it's worth, Mathis was Pro Football Focus' second highest-rated guard in 2014 and third-highest rated guard when it comes to run blocking.

From a scheme standpoint, Mathis has proved capable of handling man and zone blocking schemes and would have no trouble fitting in with the Rams in that regard, either.

All of that said, while Mathis might be a good fit for the Rams when it comes to football, there are a number of reasons this isn't a likely match.

First and foremost, the Rams aren't exactly flush with cap space, and Mathis looks to be seeking a payday bigger than what the Rams can likely afford. According to the salary tracker site Spotrac, after signing their remaining eight draft picks, the Rams have about $7 million in cap space. That includes only the top 51 contracts, so the Rams will still have to add two more before the season begins and still need to leave some space to sign a practice squad and for emergencies.

Theoretically, the Rams could probably make signing Mathis work, but even if they wanted to pursue him, they'd probably struggle to come up with the money and the opportunity to win that Mathis will want in a new team.

Mathis counted $5.5 million against the cap in 2014 and was said to be seeking more on a new deal. It's also believed he's going to want a chance to win a championship wherever he lands. Considering that there are many teams -- Seattle, Indianapolis, Cincinnati, Atlanta, Minnesota -- with more cap space, a better chance to win or a combination of the two, it seems unlikely that Mathis will land in St. Louis.

iced

First and foremost, the Rams aren't exactly flush with cap space, and Mathis looks to be seeking a payday bigger than what the Rams can likely afford. According to the salary tracker site Spotrac, after signing their remaining eight draft picks, the Rams have about $7 million in cap space. That includes only the top 51 contracts, so the Rams will still have to add two more before the season begins and still need to leave some space to sign a practice squad and for emergencies.

Theoretically, the Rams could probably make signing Mathis work, but even if they wanted to pursue him, they'd probably struggle to come up with the money and the opportunity to win that Mathis will want in a new team.

From what I understand there's some magic they could work with some players bonuses, particularly Quinns, if they wanted to make a move for mathis to free some up cash

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Isn't it too late to do that with Quinn? He had a roster bonus that could have been converted to a signing bonus before it was paid - but it has since been paid, so it's too late now.

Alan

Legend
iced looking to make room:
From what I understand there's some magic they could work with some players bonuses, particularly Quinns, if they wanted to make a move for mathis to free some up cash

I think and they probably think that all that extra cash they could come up with should be saved to sign all the Rams own FAs next year. Although a 1 year rental would work for us it more than likely it wouldn't work for him. :(

Last edited: