Eagles release Evan Mathis

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
Nothing wrong with giving the guy a 1 year contract to see if he's still got it. Of course, the realities of the open market mean he would likely go elsewhere but I'm sure we'll make an offer on our own terms. Same with Blalock. If they don't want to sign on our terms, fine - we've got the youth brigade.

lockdnram21

Legend
I think overpaying a guy like Evan Mathis by $2 million/year is worth it given the state of this OL and in the interest of winning season. 2 year $10 million. $6 million guaranteed looks a deal to me. Can we expect Jamon Brown to play like Evan Mathis in 2015?
At his age can u guarantee he plays like last year? Also wasnt he injured last year. Im still saying no. Its gone take mor then 6 mill if he didntwnt to stay there for 5 mill. To big of a risk

V3

Hall of Fame
HELL YES I WANT MATHIS. Best OG in the entire league. Even if he regresses a little bit, he's still an immediate upgrade and gives us a veteran presence for a year until Jamon Brown develops. Plus it'd put a veteran next to every rookie on the team.

Plus I hear he's really good friends with Foles. Let's bring him in.
One of the best OG's in the league for a specific offense. We don't run that offense. I have no idea what he'd do in our power scheme.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
One of the best OG's in the league for a specific offense. We don't run that offense. I have no idea what he'd do in our power scheme.

He was an elite OG well before Chip Kelly got there. He fits our scheme fine.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I'm tired of old lineman on their last contract signing with the Rams. He might have a year or two left, but is it worth the return? Our history going back through several coaches on old lineman signed for their last contracts says no.

Please God tell me they pass.

ram007

Starter
At his age can u guarantee he plays like last year? Also wasnt he injured last year. Im still saying no. Its gone take mor then 6 mill if he didntwnt to stay there for 5 mill. To big of a risk

I have no confidence in Jamon Brown. He is a young player who needs time to get used to NFL. I don't want to break his confidence or play him prematurely.

Does it hurt to have both Mathis and Jamon Brown? There will be no other OL better than Evan Mathis who will be released in 2015 for Rams to upgrade. So my vote is bring him in.

RAMpage28

Hall of Fame

Huh? Are you saying that it was his decision to leave the Eagles?

Anyway, he's not going to get paid near the 5.5M he was going to get in Philly. If he was a team would have traded for him. He is probably going to be paid less than 3M this year and I would pay him a bit under 3 for a one year deal. His age is scary but his production has been amazing even at an advanced age.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
I have no confidence in Jamon Brown. He is a young player who needs time to get used to NFL. I don't want to break his confidence or play him prematurely.

Does it hurt to have both Mathis and Jamon Brown? There will be no other OL better than Evan Mathis who will be released in 2015 for Rams to upgrade. So my vote is bring him in.

Exactly. Why not bring him in? If everything goes well, you have one of the best guards in the league on your team. If it doesn't, you spent some cap space and end up starting Jamon Brown, the original plan in the first place. There's no reason not to bring him in or try to bring him in, at least in my eyes.

Also, with the age thing I think it's worth noting that he didn't really play much until he was like 28 years old. So he doesn't have as much wear and tear as a normal person his age.

lockdnram21

Legend
Exactly. Why not bring him in? If everything goes well, you have one of the best guards in the league on your team. If it doesn't, you spent some cap space and end up starting Jamon Brown, the original plan in the first place. There's no reason not to bring him in or try to bring him in, at least in my eyes.

Also, with the age thing I think it's worth noting that he didn't really play much until he was like 28 years old. So he doesn't have as much wear and tear as a normal person his age.
he wanted more then 5.5 mill to stay with eagles thats why the cut him. So u think he would come here for less? We would have to over pay him to come here. I would rather start Brown

lockdnram21

Legend
Huh? Are you saying that it was his decision to leave the Eagles?

Anyway, he's not going to get paid near the 5.5M he was going to get in Philly. If he was a team would have traded for him. He is probably going to be paid less than 3M this year and I would pay him a bit under 3 for a one year deal. His age is scary but his production has been amazing even at an advanced age.
Im saying they cut him because he wasnt coming to otas because he wanted more money

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
He was an elite OG well before Chip Kelly got there. He fits our scheme fine.
The Eagles ran a ZBS long before Chip Kelly got there. Mathis didn't become a Pro Bowler until he left Cincinnati and joined the Eagles and their ZBS.

Now that he's in his mid-30's I'd temper enthusiasm if we signed him.

iced

Im saying they cut him because he wasnt coming to otas because he wanted more money

Or because this is the 2nd off season in a row they've been trying to trade him (and everyone else who has had made money on the eagles)

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
he wanted more then 5.5 mill to stay with eagles thats why the cut him. So u think he would come here for less? We would have to over pay him to come here. I would rather start Brown

He's not getting more than 5.5M. That's why no team traded for him. If he wants to play, he has to take less.

Why anyone would settle for just Jamon Brown when you could have a potentially elite player AND Brown is beyond me. We can make the cap work easy.

RAMpage28

Hall of Fame

Yeah, I looked that up and there are reports of that. That said, what he wants and what he gets are two different things. I don't see any team paying him that.

lockdnram21

Legend
He's not getting more than 5.5M. That's why no team traded for him. If he wants to play, he has to take less.

Why anyone would settle for just Jamon Brown when you could have a potentially elite player AND Brown is beyond me. We can make the cap work easy.
i know hes going to take less but hes not going to take less from rams. Maybe Pats, Colts, Broncos, or another playoff team but not rams is my point

lockdnram21

Legend
Yeah, I looked that up and there are reports of that. That said, what he wants and what he gets are two different things. I don't see any team paying him that.
yea but hes not coming here for less maybe a playoff team but not us

RAMpage28

Hall of Fame
The Eagles ran a ZBS long before Chip Kelly got there. Mathis didn't become a Pro Bowler until he left Cincinnati and joined the Eagles and their ZBS.

Now that he's in his mid-30's I'd temper enthusiasm if we signed him.

He was still a good player for the Bengals as well. Did step up his game in Philly, but was good for the Bengals as well.