Eagles release Evan Mathis

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RAMpage28

Hall of Fame
yea but hes not coming here for less maybe a playoff team but not us

He's not going to get that money from any team period. A playoff team has a better chance of getting him, I agree, but no team anywhere is paying him 5.5 this year.

RAMpage28

Hall of Fame

I seriously doubt he has any supporters.

I still remember him being defended. "He grades out decent at RT though!"

Ugh. He sucked.

lockdnram21

Legend
He's not going to get that money from any team period. A playoff team has a better chance of getting him, I agree, but no team anywhere is paying him 5.5 this year.
well then we have no shot at him is my point. unless Rams pony up the cash

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I seriously doubt he has any supporters.

I still remember him being defended. "He grades out decent at RT though!"

Ugh. He sucked.
He didn't look like a football player nor did he play like one.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
well then we have no shot at him is my point. unless Rams pony up the cash

Friends with Nick Foles, guaranteed starting spot, coach like Fisher takes it easy on veterans, run first team (linemen love run blocking), and that's just a few reasons. There's a lot of reasons he would come here.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Why do they have no shot? Just because a playoff team has a presumably better chance doesn't mean the Rams have none.
It depends on what he wants, he may get the money and the 2 year contract from another team that really values a guard with his success in zone blocking.

If that's the case, the Rams won't be able to match as they have a lot of contracts to deal with in 2016.

RAMpage28

Hall of Fame
It depends on what he wants, he may get the money and the 2 year contract from another team that really values a guard with his success in zone blocking.

If that's the case, the Rams won't be able to match as they have a lot of contracts to deal with in 2016.

I agree. There's a lot of variables here. What he wants in a team, what other teams are willing to offer, etc. Gonna have to wait on it, but it's too early to rule out any team.

He may get that two year offer or he may not. It all depends.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
He was still a good player for the Bengals as well. Did step up his game in Philly, but was good for the Bengals as well.
He was OK but not special and he wasn't exactly a highly coveted free agent when the Eagles signed him. He excelled at a lower weight in the Eagles ZBS. Now in his mid-30s you're asking him to join a team that predominantly runs a power blocking scheme, undoubtedly put back on some weight which will cost him the quickness that made him a Pro Bowler in the first place.

I'm not foaming at the mouth to ink him if you can't tell. :ROFLMAO:

That said, given our current state, if he's reasonable with his asking price, I have no issues with him on a one-year prove-it deal.

Personally I'd rather get Blalock on the phone again.

ram007

Starter
He was OK but not special and he wasn't exactly a highly coveted free agent when the Eagles signed him. He excelled at a lower weight in the Eagles ZBS. Now in his mid-30s you're asking him to join a team that predominantly runs a power blocking scheme, undoubtedly put back on some weight which will cost him the quickness that made him a Pro Bowler in the first place.

That said, given our current state, if he's reasonable with his asking price, I have no issues with him on a one-year prove-it deal.

Any reasons why Blalock is appealing more to you than Mathis?

RAMpage28

Hall of Fame

I get what you're saying but here's a bit more about Mathis' time with the Bengals that makes me think you're underselling him a bit.

"As we've pointed out countless times, when Mathis starts at left guard, the Bengals interestingly win football games. Mathis was graded as the third best linemen during pass and rush blocks by Pro Football Focus during a seven-game stretch that the Bengals went 6-1. He graded as the second-best overall lineman for the entire year and as this awesome reward, they replace him with a player that Pro Football Focus graded as one of the worst offensive linemen on the team."

http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2011/7/31/2307058/eagles-sign-veteran-guard-evan-mathis

"When Mathis started seven games in 2009, he posted the third best pass and rush blocking score among offensive linemen. He was graded as the team's second-best offensive linemen last season, scoring a better grade than Andrew Whitworth (Bobbie Williams was graded as the best) who won the fan vote in the Pro Bowl vote as the best AFC Tackle. Yet, Livings replaced Mathis, starting most of the second half of the season, scoring the worst grade amongst all offensive linemen last year.

It's very rare that we jump behind a player who speaks out against the organization. Fans feel so connected to that team that a quote or an act against the team is an attack against the fans.

Yet, we're behind Mathis on this one. He's been the best option at left guard for the past two seasons and the Bengals keep finding excusing to replace him with one of the poorly graded players."

http://www.cincyjungle.com/2011/4/29/2142575/evan-mathis-its-not-been-fun-in-cincinnati

And on his wikipedia page it states that he didn't give up a sack for the Bengals in the in the 09 and 2010 seasons.

Orchid

Starter
Name
Obert
I would love to have him but.... if he wants to play for a contender in a Zone blocking scheme, I would not be surprised if Denver makes a strong run at him. Just lost their all pro LT Clady, Shelley Smith is listed as their starting LG (OurLads), and they have about $9 M in cap space.

Not sure we have the dollars or the contender status.

Just my thoughts.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
I get what you're saying but here's a bit more about Mathis' time with the Bengals that makes me think you're underselling him a bit.

"As we've pointed out countless times, when Mathis starts at left guard, the Bengals interestingly win football games. Mathis was graded as the third best linemen during pass and rush blocks by Pro Football Focus during a seven-game stretch that the Bengals went 6-1. He graded as the second-best overall lineman for the entire year and as this awesome reward, they replace him with a player that Pro Football Focus graded as one of the worst offensive linemen on the team."

http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2011/7/31/2307058/eagles-sign-veteran-guard-evan-mathis

"When Mathis started seven games in 2009, he posted the third best pass and rush blocking score among offensive linemen. He was graded as the team's second-best offensive linemen last season, scoring a better grade than Andrew Whitworth (Bobbie Williams was graded as the best) who won the fan vote in the Pro Bowl vote as the best AFC Tackle. Yet, Livings replaced Mathis, starting most of the second half of the season, scoring the worst grade amongst all offensive linemen last year.

It's very rare that we jump behind a player who speaks out against the organization. Fans feel so connected to that team that a quote or an act against the team is an attack against the fans.

Yet, we're behind Mathis on this one. He's been the best option at left guard for the past two seasons and the Bengals keep finding excusing to replace him with one of the poorly graded players."

http://www.cincyjungle.com/2011/4/29/2142575/evan-mathis-its-not-been-fun-in-cincinnati

And on his wikipedia page it states that he didn't give up a sack for the Bengals in the in the 09 and 2010 seasons.

PFF has flawed logic in a lot of their grading, and one of my biggest gripes is that OL playing next to other good OL tend to grade out better even if their personal performance may not dictate otherwise. See Joe Barksdale next to Rodger Saffold in 2013.

Let's look at the facts, Evan Mathis signed with the Eagles for a 1-year deal well south of $1M. I would think if other teams, especially the Bengals, thought he was exceptional, someone would've taken a chance on him for a bit more than that in term and total.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
I would love to have him but.... if he wants to play for a contender in a Zone blocking scheme, I would not be surprised if Denver makes a strong run at him. Just lost their all pro LT Clady, Shelley Smith is listed as their starting LG (OurLads), and they have about $9 M in cap space.

Not sure we have the dollars or the contender status.

Just my thoughts.
Sounds like a perfect fit, actually.

iced

For those who think its all about the money - pump the brakes a bit.

Eagles released LG Evan Mathis.

This has been a long time coming for Mathis, who quickly wore out his welcome under my-way-or-the-highway coach Chip Kelly. Mathis had been skipping voluntary workouts the past couple seasons in hopes of a trade or raise from the Eagles. Due a $5.5 million salary this season, Mathis wanted more entering his age-34 season. Now hitting the market at this stage of the year, Mathis would do well to make half that in 2015. The Dolphins, Patriots, and Rams have all reportedly expressed some level of interest in Mathis at times over the previous couple months. When on the field, Mathis is still one of the best guards in the league.

I think asking for more money is just easier to get away from the eagles. If I wanted off that team after watching my teammates like Maclin, Jackson, and mccoy getting traded because of their contracts and/or other reasons, I'd use that leverage card too

RAMpage28

Hall of Fame
PFF has flawed logic in a lot of their grading, and one of my biggest gripes is that OL playing next to other good OL tend to grade out better even if their personal performance may not dictate otherwise. See Joe Barksdale next to Rodger Saffold in 2013.

Let's look at the facts, Evan Mathis signed with the Eagles for a 1-year deal well south of $1M. I would think if other teams, especially the Bengals, thought he was exceptional, someone would've taken a chance on him for a bit more than that in term and total.

If you don't like PFF's word, what about the Bengals fans that watched Evan Mathis and supported and praised him?

My point stands about him being a good player in Cincy. You gotta admit he did a good job there. He reached his full potential in Philly, but was no slouch for the Bengals.