Eagles release Evan Mathis

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Denver wouldn't surprise me.

Pats? I don't think so. They don't like to pay Guards.

Dolphins? I could see that. They are as close as ever to the Pats AND the Bills are tougher as well.

Rams? Possible. Very young OL with a HC that prefers Vets (see Scott Wells)

How it shakes out? Who knows...

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I wouldn't mind picking him up on a two year deal. 33/34 isn't that old for an OL. He could play 5 more seasons, but if you're u could get two good years out of him, that might be the perfect stop gap until our rookies can get a little NFL seasoning. Two year deal is probably the minimum he would take to come to the Rams. Money, of course, is the make or break factor with me. $4M a year would seem fair. But then you have to ask if the guy is still one of the best OGs in the league why aren't the Eagles hanging on to him? I mean $6M isn't that bad of a deal for a Pro Bowl OG is it?

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I can't believe some of your posts....This guy screams Well-Joseph-Long to me...you don't have to kick me in my balls twice..once is enough...

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Eagles released LG Evan Mathis.
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/3216/evan-mathis

This has been a long time coming for Mathis, who quickly wore out his welcome under my-way-or-the-highway coach Chip Kelly. Mathis had been skipping voluntary workouts the past couple seasons in hopes of a trade or raise from the Eagles. Due a $5.5 million salary this season, Mathis wanted more entering his age-34 season. Now hitting the market at this stage of the year, Mathis would do well to make half that in 2015. The Dolphins, Patriots, and Rams have all reportedly expressed some level of interest in Mathis at times over the previous couple months. When on the field, Mathis is still one of the best guards in the league. Jun 11 - 4:00 PM

Rosenhaus: ‘Doesn’t Appear’ Miami is Strong Possibility for Evan Mathis

http://miami.cbslocal.com/2015/05/2...ar-miami-dolphins-are-suitor-for-evan-mathis/

The Eagles have pulled off the table an offer to LG Evan Mathis that would have increased his base salary by $1 million per year.

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/...contract-offer-to-Evan-Mathis-off-table-.html

Mathis is due $5.5 million this year and $6 million in 2016. The offer was originally made by former GM Howie Roseman, but yanked when Chip Kelly took over personnel decisions. Currently the NFL's 12th or 13th highest-paid guard, Mathis wants to be compensated like a top-five player at his position. Kelly said Tuesday that he has not spoken to Mathis this offseason.

Source: Philadelphia Inquirer

Last edited:

Limey

Rookie
This time next year the cap is going to make us choose between quite a few players we are likely to want to keep. I don't mind Mathis on a 1 year deal (which I can't see happening), but any guaranteed money for next year just complicates things even more.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
What Eagles fans are saying:

http://forums.philly.com/discussion...leased_Mathis/kr-eagles/177924.1?nav=messages

Eagles released Mathis

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
----------
He will have job before saturday the niners need oline help.

Chip dropped the ball again you don't release this guy.
---------
Guess Chip figured he was gonna be a real pain come Training Camp.
---------
He'll get picked up, but it's gonna be real interesting to see if somebody gives him more than the $6M a year he was gonna get here.
--------
Guys... In 2 years NOT 1 team offered anything for Mathis! Yes he was an all-pro but it was the system that made Mathis... I bet he doesn't come close to the production he had here. He's 34 and was going to make $5 mil this year and $6 mil next... Mathis wanted more money...

The Eagles offered Mathins an extra mil this year and next last year but he wanted more... ThT would have made $6 mil this year and $7 mil next..... Which is pretty good for an aging OL.. Mathis declined and asked to seek a trade... When NO ONE wanted him he came back asking for the deal that was offered to him... The Eagles took the offer off the table and here we are.
--------
This wouldn't be a big deal if they would have drafted a lineman.

You go from one hole to two holes on your line.

4 good lineman can cover up for one bad lineman.

3 good lineman can't cover up two bad lineman.
---------
The zone blocking scheme doesn't require you to have pro-bowlers at every position... The scheme is set for an OL to get his hands on the defenses for 2-3 sec and then release to the next lvl... Plus we don't know what we have in these rookie FA. People need to relax... Last year we didn't have half the OL and yet were #1 in run blocking and top 8 in pass protection.
--------
If the system made Mathis an all pro how come it didn't do the same for our Olineman last year?

Last I checks guys on here and you were using the line as an excuse for Foles
--------
I guess we can set aside the racial bias thing. It doesn't matter if you are black or white Kelly will ax you if you give him a headache.
The thing I take away from this is that nobody wins here. Mathis won't get the same money and the Eagles are out a probowl lineman.

I think it would have been better to just let him go to training camp and play it out. I'm really not happy with letting go of pro bowlers for no return.
---------
Just heard he was planning on showing up next week.
---------
Yeah I heard that too. He said he had the plane ticket purchased
----------
Mathis was good the first two years he was here under AR.

And it doesn't matter if "they all ALMOST got hurt" or not, these are the same players you guys TRASHED to make excuses for Foles, even though PFF said the pass blocking wasn't that bad and better than the league avg.
---------
not one team has offered anything for mathis because they would have had to give something up AND give him more money. Both sides were pig headed here. There are no winners, and we the fans, not to mention demarco murray and ryan matthews will be the big losers. we are now down our qb, 2 og's, and all pro rb and a wr from last years starting 11 on offense.

i don't know what goes through kelly's mind, but clearly he has a player relations problem. either they love him or hate him. i don't see this ending well for chip. (or us)
--------
A few issues I see at work here. Taking out the racial element...

It seems Kelly has issues with guys who don't bow down to him..... It seems he has a college coach mentality.

The NFL is a business, and money is involved often times which creates conflict. CK seems to hate any kinda conflict or anyone challenging his will.

I think he has to make some adjustments to the pro game, and that comes with learning how to deal with massive egos from guys who make millions of dollars and are grown men.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
This time next year the cap is going to make us choose between quite a few players we are likely to want to keep. I don't mind Mathis on a 1 year deal (which I can't see happening), but any guaranteed money for next year just complicates things even more.

You are so very correct here. The Rams have one serious long list of current players who will enter free agency after this season is over.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/2016/st.-louis-rams/

It would appear from all that I can find that Mathis desires a two yr deal worth somewhere around 12 to 13 million. That sure would impeded the Ram Org from resigning our own youthful talented FA's. Is this really what true Ram fans want?

I agree with Limey here a one yr deal would be the best that the Rams could offer & it sure would be at a much less deal than Mathis will take. Is there really a need for a 34 yr old left OG?

Rams Org. went out & signed a seasoned OL'er who they wanted already. This OLG is working @ Mathis post now in our on newly refurbished OL. He just happens to be a 7 yr vet Garrett Reynolds. Garrett is working @ the OLG post because the OL'er who started there last season is still rehabbing but will be fully ready when TC begins. That OLG post belongs to the Rams best offensive lineman...27 yr old Rodger Saffold. That's two veteran well seasoned OLG's already here now???

From what I can tell Boudreau will run a power blocking scheme with a few new wrinkles of ZB scheme. Snead/Fisher & Boudreau just drafted four very large heavy power blocking scheme types all of them are over easily over 315 pounds & much bigger. Wonder which new drafted rookie will be released to accommodate Mathis? Mathis is over 6-5 & under 300 pounds.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I can't believe some of your posts....This guy screams Well-Joseph-Long to me...you don't have to kick me in my balls twice..once is enough...
Haha. Well said.

Although I think it's well past the 2nd kick in the balls at this point...

Orchid

Starter
Name
Obert
Yes, he was on the books for $5.5 to 6 million this year and about the same next year. But my understanding is that NONE of those dollars were guaranteed.

Look for him to sign a 2-year deal that pays him $6-8 M guaranteed and chance to make $10M with incentives.

It's not about the dollars per year but how much is guaranteed.