CB Darious Williams Returns to Rams on 3yr Deal

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
Let's not perpetuate that again....even if we maximize the cap room for this year, next year we have 80-100 million in cap space right now. We can kick $30 million to next year, extend Ernest Jones and still be fine. Especially because AD is likely to retire after this season.

And we have our future picks - so it wouldn't be "all in" - it would be what other teams would consider to be all in, but we have so many chips, it's less than half of the total.
I can see AD staying for more than one if we sniff the SB this year and the team is still together. Winning cures everything.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Stafford contract.. just sitting there. lol

So.. we're drafting edge in the first round! Got it!

Edge, corner, safety, RB or WR for first four picks? How does that sound?

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Future LOT too
Maybe?
I think there's a better than good chance they don't draft one this season.. if they can restructure Noteboom. If they cut Boom.. then, yes.
But I think they like Jackson.

muggmeister

Rookie
Stafford contract.. just sitting there. lol

So.. we're drafting edge in the first round! Got it!

Edge, corner, safety, RB or WR for first four picks? How does that sound?
Sure looks like edge in round 1. Not sure if Verse, Latu or Turner will be available at 19. Chop Robinson could be in play but I'm not a big fan of super athletes who are underachievers. Possible trade up or trade down. I would gladly add our second 3rd to move up for Turner or maybe Latu.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Sure looks like edge in round 1. Not sure if Verse, Latu or Turner will be available at 19. Chop Robinson could be in play but I'm not a big fan of super athletes who are underachievers. Possible trade up or trade down. I would gladly add our second 3rd to move up for Turner or maybe Latu.
I wouldn't hate Chop.. I don't think. I mean.. he's an incredible athlete and that first step is just a ridiculous weapon.
I could see drafting one high and one mid-round as well.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Let's not perpetuate that again....even if we maximize the cap room for this year, next year we have 80-100 million in cap space right now. We can kick $30 million to next year, extend Ernest Jones and still be fine. Especially because AD is likely to retire after this season.

And we have our future picks - so it wouldn't be "all in" - it would be what other teams would consider to be all in, but we have so many chips, it's less than half of the total.
Well OTC updated our cap situation with just the two OG signings thus far. We are down to 16M this yr and 45M next yr. So they won't have 80M next yr.

WestCoastRam

Legend
I actually think there's 50/50 chance that Verse or Latu will be there at 19 or right around 19 given the talent at WR and tackle in this draft pushing them down. Ideally we just wouldn't have to bet on that happening if we could do a little more about edge in FA.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I actually think there's 50/50 chance that Verse or Latu will be there at 19 or right around 19 given the talent at WR and tackle in this draft pushing them down. Ideally we just wouldn't have to bet on that happening if we could do a little more about edge in FA.
Man.. I just didn't like what I saw/read from Latu in the Senior Bowl workouts.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well OTC updated our cap situation with just the two OG signings thus far. We are down to 16M this yr and 45M next yr. So they won't have 80M next yr.

That's with the cap staying basically the same as this year which is unlikely.

It also has 10 million from Noteboom. Those two alone likely add 20-30 million to the cap next year.

The only significant FA we will have is Ernest Jones - he likely takes that 10 million.

So we will most likely have 65 million, less now because of Darious and whatever other signings we make.

But the team will be pretty set, especially when you factor in this draft class and next years draft class, losing almost nobody and factoring the FAs we're signing this year.

So we can sign some more players to backloaded contracts, move some of Stafford's money around and still have room to sign a FA or two next year without losing anyone significant.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Man.. I just didn't like what I saw/read from Latu in the Senior Bowl workouts.
Oh interesting, I haven't really been paying much attention to him or Verse other than that people are mocking them closer to 19 after having a chance to watch tape on the WRs and Tackles.

Senior Bowl success seems a really good predictor of success in the NFL.

Fingers crossed on Mack then!

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Man looking at what other teams have done, I don't think anyone has improved as much as we have. Most teams either retained some of their own players or had to lose good players to sign others (Niners and Dolphins).

We stand to lose four starters - Witherspoon, Shelton, Fuller and JJ - the former two, we upgraded. The latter two, jury is still out but are average players to begin with.

We are going to the Super Bowl next year.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
That's with the cap staying basically the same as this year which is unlikely.

It also has 10 million from Noteboom. Those two alone likely add 20-30 million to the cap next year.

The only significant FA we will have is Ernest Jones - he likely takes that 10 million.

So we will most likely have 65 million, less now because of Darious and whatever other signings we make.

But the team will be pretty set, especially when you factor in this draft class and next years draft class, losing almost nobody and factoring the FAs we're signing this year.

So we can sign some more players to backloaded contracts, move some of Stafford's money around and still have room to sign a FA or two next year without losing anyone significant.
They normally project the rise in cap. This yr they were off by about 12Min their projection.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
The Rams are giving out 3 year deals. That’s the window. They are being more aggressive already. I think AD chooses to ride it out and hang around for two more, or a Super Bowl, whichever comes first.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
They addressed 3 needs in free agency. An established veteran guard. A talented tight end with good upside. And a familiar corner who can fill the same need Witherspoon filled.

I have to think edge rusher will be at the top of their board come draft day. Still wouldn't mind finding a vet edge rusher. Just in case a rookie needs a year to develop.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
The Rams are giving out 3 year deals. That’s the window. They are being more aggressive already. I think AD chooses to ride it out and hang around for two more, or a Super Bowl, whichever comes first.

I think the window is two years.

If you look at the breakdown of the Dotson and Jonah Jackson contracts on OTC, you will see why.

The third year of their contracts (2026), those two players are a combined cap hit of $36M. However, the Rams could release both, and the ramifications are very cap friendly ... $3M of Dead-$, and $33M of cap relief.

If they have played well, and the Rams want to retain them, the Rams would probably try for extensions.

André

Always far too invested
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think the window is two years.

If you look at the breakdown of the Dotson and Jonah Jackson contracts on OTC, you will see why.

The third year of their contracts (2026), those two players are a combined cap hit of $36M. However, the Rams could release both, and the ramifications are very cap friendly ... $3M of Dead-$, and $33M of cap relief.

If they have played well, and the Rams want to retain them, the Rams would probably try for extensions.
Agreed - and two years is the more 'guaranteed' time we have AD, Staff and Coop. Hopefully.