Brawl

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
Everything was running cool in the scrimmage until a Dallas player came down hill and really popped Chase Reynolds on a running play. It knocked him to the ground and you could tell the O line didn't like it at all. They had done almost the exact same thing to Reynolds yesterday as well. They also knocked Quick to the ground with his obnoxious yellow "no contact" beanie. It was brewing, Cowboys started it and the Rams finished it. It reminded me of the fight scene in Necessary Roughness. The Rams were the prison inmates and I didn't mind one bit. Only thing that made me cringe was seeing Tavon swinging on a Cowboy with his helmet on. Could have broken his hand or a finger. Besides that it was a good ol scrum in Training Camp. Cool to see it live for once!

V3

Hall of Fame
Well the Cowboys have a history of this too. Same thing happened in Oakland where there was a full on brawl. The common demominator is the Cowboys. For what its worth hasnt Seattle been the most of close the most penalized teams the last 2 years?
And yet the Rams are the ones known as the dirtiest team in the NFL by opposing players, coaches, fans, and worst of all, the refs. Also, having penalties doesn't necessarily mean you're dirty. There are plenty of penalties that are incidental, mental, etc. If you want to break it down into the "dirtier" forms of penalties, the Rams were 2nd in the NFL in unnecessary roughness penalties last year and led the NFL in 2013. They led the NFL in personal fouls in 2013. If you don't want to separate the penalties, the Rams were still one of the worst in the NFL with penalties(3rd), led the NFL in penalty yards, and I think I read somewhere they're the most penalized team in the NFL since Fisher came here(have to verify that one). You can completely ignore the penalties if you want. They still play dirty and constantly talk crap to other teams which starts many of the issues.

Are there other dirty teams out there? Yes. That doesn't change the fact that the Rams still deserve their share of the blame and it's a common theme with Fisher and he refuses to do anything about it. Like I said in a different post, there's a difference between playing with an edge and playing like a punk.

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
Some of you guys need to relax.

This is Fishers m.o.
Field a team that plays with a chip on its shoulder. One that plays up to the boundaries of what is allowed.
Sometimes these guys will cross that line. Fisher knows this. He can't publicly condone it, but he is ok with it.
Why?

Because when we are in a tough game, coming down to the wire, our guys will NOT be intimidated.

Remember Linehans Rams?
Remember Spags and the infamous "4 pillars"?

I do, and while they are nice in theory, in the real world where football is played by big mean men, nice guys finish last.

I'm all for it.
"Hit em again Claiborne!"

My worry is it turns out like Richie I....major drive at the end of a game your desperate to win....look at that great pass for a first down....what, ahhh crap flagged for getting "mean" at the end of the play (and away from it)....minus 15yards.

Nice guys may finish last, but it is the smart guys who finish first.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Nice guys may finish last, but it is the smart guys who finish first.

I agree. That's why I hope we're smart and mean. Stupid and mean won't help. Neither will stupid and nice.

Smart and nice? If it wins, great but its not how i like my sports.... this is football. It's always been violent and that's how I like it.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You could tell this would happen...Some backs would run through the line and get hit pretty hard....maybe twice...and you could tell they didn't like it...
Kinda mad I didn't see this live....but it would have been terrible for the kids...trying to explain what happened...
Why would it be hard to explain?

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Btw- my apologies for coming off like an icehole there.
"Whine" wasn't a fair word.

You have a concern and it's at least partially valid.
I just don't see it in the same way is all.
No worries... it's a topic many feel passionate about... on both sides.

I'm fine with them playing hard-nosed football... even taking a personal foul or two to get your point across or make sure the opponent understands you won't back down.

But it's a fine line between doing that and just being stupid.

And, IMO, I've seen too much stupid since Fisher took over... and he had that same rep in Tennessee.

Play hard... but play smart. Yesterday, even though it was pre-season, was stupid.

Can you imagine... if Gurley tore his knee up because he wasn't smart enough to stay out of the mess with a knee that is being rehabbed? Can you imagine this board under those circumstances?

Thank God it didn't happen... and thank God no one else got hurt.

cvramsfan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And yet the Rams are the ones known as the dirtiest team in the NFL by opposing players, coaches, fans, and worst of all, the refs.

I'm sorry, you know this how? I have seen plenty of P.F called against the RAMS the last couple of years that were not even close to being a P.F. This is football and there is contact right?

Look I think we all get it, you didn't like the fights and every RAM that was involved is an idiot including Fisher. I'm not trying to make a big deal out of this but maybe it is time to move on.

Also on a side note about the players being punk's and trash talking. I was listening to the radio the other day on the way to work and they were talking to or talking about an interview they did with older basketball player and he was asked who was the biggest trash talker you played against. He said Larry Bird was the biggest trash talker, guess Bird is a punk too!

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
And yet the Rams are the ones known as the dirtiest team in the NFL by opposing players, coaches, fans, and worst of all, the refs. Also, having penalties doesn't necessarily mean you're dirty. There are plenty of penalties that are incidental, mental, etc. If you want to break it down into the "dirtier" forms of penalties, the Rams were 2nd in the NFL in unnecessary roughness penalties last year and led the NFL in 2013. They led the NFL in personal fouls in 2013. If you don't want to separate the penalties, the Rams were still one of the worst in the NFL with penalties(3rd), led the NFL in penalty yards, and I think I read somewhere they're the most penalized team in the NFL since Fisher came here(have to verify that one). You can completely ignore the penalties if you want. They still play dirty and constantly talk crap to other teams which starts many of the issues.

Are there other dirty teams out there? Yes. That doesn't change the fact that the Rams still deserve their share of the blame and it's a common theme with Fisher and he refuses to do anything about it. Like I said in a different post, there's a difference between playing with an edge and playing like a punk.

Couple of things.

1. - So what? Patriots and Seahawks are 1 and 2 in penalties. Seriously, give it a rest.
2. - Dirtiest teams in football based on fines assessed: 1 - Redskins, 2 - Ravens, 3 - Lions

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Why would it be hard to explain?

Well, my daughter, 9 yrs old, is starting flag-football. My other daughter is 3...and she's kinda into hitting (don't ask me how) and I don't believe I could just explain away a brawl of 50+ grown men as just tempers flaring...How do I tell my 3 year old to stop fighting? How do I explain to my 9 yr old, that fighting IS NOT apart of the game?
I honestly don't know why these joint practices are even allowed. It's just asking for trouble IMO.
Well, they do get extra work vs an opponent...Changing things up is usually a good thing....But I see your point...No way these teams weren't gonna brawl once or twice...

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well, my daughter, 9 yrs old, is starting flag-football. My other daughter is 3...and she's kinda into hitting (don't ask me how) and I don't believe I could just explain away a brawl of 50+ grown men as just tempers flaring...How do I tell my 3 year old to stop fighting? How do I explain to my 9 yr old, that fighting IS NOT apart of the game?
You can't just tell them things like "it's just part of the game" ... or... "boys will be boys"... or "it's football, this is normal"?

No?

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA

V3 thanks for looking deeper into some of the numbers. "most penalized" is often just thrown around but the type of penalties do make a difference. For instance while a offside call hurts it is not quite like a PF that generally (not always) hurt a lot. For instance I would expect this year with the young Oline the rams will get plenty of Offsides and holding calls...it is part of the growing/learning curve.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame

I had no idea the Rams were known as the dirtiest teams in the NFL. Your point about the Rams being 2nd in the league last year for unnecessary roughness calls is dramatically misleading on your end. Yes they were 2nd but 5 teams were tied for 1st with 9. Rams were tied for 2nd with 8 with the Jets and Niners. 4 teams were tied for 3rd with 7. 12 teams had at least 7 of these penalties. So almost half the league had 7-9 unnecessary roughness calls. So in reality there were not far off the league average. In 2013 they did not lead the league either. They ranked 7th, so I put little stalk in your numbers above.

I dont ignore the penalties but I like that they play with and edge and yes I mean edge, they are not dirty. We dont have a Suh on our team. This team finally has an identity and if it means an extra penalties or two again then so be it. It is certainly better than being called the Lambs.

I never said the Rams didnt deserve any blame, I said this happened with the Cowboys last year with Oakland. Seems as it is becoming a trend with that team. And you are right there is a difference between playing with an edge and like a punk. The Rams play with and edge! Who are the punks on the Rams you are referring to?

I like the attitude we bring, its why our defense has a chance to be special. I think you are way off base calling the Rams dirty and punks.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I am somewhat ambivalent about the BRAWL. I tend to think it was part of a physical game and it's on the field afteraffects...This may surprise some, as I was advocating a charge of assault on the schmuck that cold cocked Geno Smith in the lockerroom.....Everyone had their pads on and most had their helmets on, except the stupid ones..jmo

Ramfreak

UDFA
Name
Ramfreak
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
This teams needs to win to prove they're good. The brawl means nothing regarding "Wins". I'll tell you what, if the Rams don't win this season and they continue to have more issues with penalties and a non productive offense, Fisher is going face the heat. His history isn't impressive outside of surviving mediocre season after mediocre season.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
My understanding is that they lost 20-30 minutes of practice time - practice was nearly over anyway.

And yes, the Cowboys should respect the conventions of practice, if they want to practice. I have no idea why you're defending them for hitting a player recuperating from an injury, and marked as such - in the same way that EVERY team in the league marks them. It wasn't a preseason game - it was a practice, and practice rules applied. Which they kept breaking.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
You can't just tell them things like "it's just part of the game" ... or... "boys will be boys"... or "it's football, this is normal"?

No?
Maybe....but when my 9 yr old slugs someone, I'm telling their mom to call you...