2 teams have Evans as top WR

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jjab360

Legend
I support BPA that fits need. My boy @jrry32 has my back-- he loves elaborating on this.

Get'em @jrry32

I don't think that means what you think it means. Nobody looks at a draft and says ok we're going to get the best WR in the first round, the best linebacker in the second round, the best DT in the third round, etc., etc.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
I prefer BPA within reason theory. Need plays a role, but I'd hate the team to pass up on a blue chip talent trying to fill a need with the BPA at that need position OVER the overall BPA at a position that may not be an immediate need but could be one in the near future. Needs can change almost every year (See the CB positon). And banking on rookies to do so seems foolish anyway to me. Might fill the position, but the need still might exist.

BTW, count me as one that doesn't see the drop off at Safety after Pryor and Dix. Especially Dix who might be one of the most overrated players in this draft class, IMO. Perhaps, one of the next big named Alabama secondary players that does little on the next level.
I'm just going to call it best player available (which really is a subjective term in it's own right) that you need.

Talent alone doesn't get it done, so it's all about whether you think that player will fit in, with the coaching staff and existing players and of course whether or not your team has a role for that player and whether or not the team can support that role. Without those factors, even Jesus himself may very well fail just to say ...

5691a5e1d316da2178fbef2ca412f23e2a9d3ea0544f58abfe74432793c8cd64.jpg

jjab360

Legend
Is there really a ton Of things that Evans does better? Wouldn't that put Evans clearly in the front on every teams draft board?

There is maybe three things Evans does better. Better jump ball, More physical, wider catch radius. Sure some teams could value that more than Watkins broader skillset, but I don't think a ton more teams would, because Evans also has a few glaring limitations.
I'd say the amount of things that Evans does better than Watkins is equal to or greater than the amount of things that Watkins does better than Evans. Let's see..

Evans

Bigger
More physical
Better hands
Better body control
Better ball skills
Better at high pointing
Better blocker

Watkins
Faster
Quicker
Better route runner
More explosive
More versatile

Let me know if I'm missing anything..

And like Memphis said, we really don't know who NFL teams think is the better WR. The draftniks have had a consensus on players they thought teams were high on and been wrong plenty of times before.

iced

I'd say the amount of things that Evans does better than Watkins is equal to or greater than the amount of things that Watkins does better than Evans. Let's see..
Evans
Bigger
More physical
Better hands
Better body control
Better ball skills
Better at high pointing
Better blocker

Watkins
Faster
Quicker
Better route runner
More explosive
More versatile

Let me know if I'm missing anything..

And like Memphis said, we really don't know who NFL teams think is the better WR. The draftniks have had a consensus on players they thought teams were high on and been wrong plenty of times before.

watkins is a lot more cleaner, quicker outof his breaks, way better at separating, and I think he attacks the ball better.

duckhunter

Starter
It appears to me that Snisher likes to target certain players in certain slots in round 1. They will move up or down based on their assessment. I believe they said B Jones was a value pick last year (not a target). We'll learn more about their methods this year.

FWIW, I read Snead as WR is not a target in round 1.

jjab360

Legend
watkins is a lot more cleaner, quicker outof his breaks, way better at separating, and I think he attacks the ball better.
I covered quicker and a better route runner, separation is a new one, but better at attacking the ball? Not really.

The skills are still pretty even, they both do a lot of things better than the other, not sure why some think Watkins is far and away the better WR. Even the draftniks have backed off of that stance as of late, McShay only has Watkins 2 spots higher on his big board (no.4 overall and no.6 overall), and I believe Kiper has him in his top 6 players as well.

iced

I covered quicker and a better route runner, separation is a new one, but better at attacking the ball? Not really.

The skills are still pretty even, they both do a lot of things better than the other, not sure why some think Watkins is far and away the better WR. Even the draftniks have backed off of that stance as of late, McShay only has Watkins 2 spots higher on his big board (no.4 overall and no.6 overall), and I believe Kiper has him in his top 6 players as well.

I don't consider him far and away - but I do think he's a better fit for this team. I'd still take either one though in a heart beat

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Evans
Bigger
More physical- not when you consider other traits. Watkins is a good blocker and fights for the ball. Evans is just bigger,
Better hands- debatable
Better body control- absolutely WRONG
Better ball skills- Wrong again. May be even on this one.
Better at high pointing- given
Better blocker- only a maybe because of size. Watkins is a good blocker. So you turn size into three advantages. funny.

Watkins
Faster
Quicker
Better route runner- arguably the most important trait when comparing the two
More explosive- Big advantage with this. Again you have to weigh the value of the traits.
More versatile-

Let me know if I'm missing anything.. Umm missing lots but it is too deep for you to understand.

That is your list and YOU were the one suggesting you know that TONS of NFL teams like Evans better. I never pretend to know that stuff, yet for some reason people think I do. I will be the first to tell you and anyone else that I have no idea what Fisher thinks of players, or of what teams think of players. To believe that is Absurd. Stop projecting. Again YOU said it not me.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Sammy Watkins compares his game to Ravens WR Torrey Smith.

Mike Evans compares himself (and models) Bears WR Brandon Marshall.

http://q.usatoday.com/2014/02/22/mike-evans-nfl-combine-nfl-draft-texas-am/

I'd rather have Brandon Marshall.

And especially on a team looking to run the football quite a bit.

Compared to? Well my brother has been compared to Patrick Swayze but they aren't twins. Far from it. I would take a better version of Torrey Smith being a Ram in a heartbeat. And Watkins was clearly better and doesn't body catch like Smith did in college.

Evans compares himself to Brandon Marshall? Then he is probably comparable to Mike Williams as well. I could say I compare my style of play to Kurt Warner but it doesn't mean I am his equal.

BTW keep reading Bucky Brooks if you want. I'll pass.

Alan

Legend
Tron worrying about the seating:
Looks like we may need a bigger boat
I'm not worrying about having enough room, what worries me is the look of the guy who calls the beat.
images

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Can't have it both ways dude. That pass doesn't get thrown nor does Evans get the TD "without the Manziel factor"

Btw why the comparisons to calvin? outside of measurables, they're not even remotely close to being the same type of player or prospect coming out. Calvin Was Clear cut the best receiver in his draft class. Not to mention Calvin was Faster and could separate better than evans, and that's not including his amazing hands and way he attacks the ball (not saying evans doesn't, but don't compare him to calvin who's in a class of his own)

I'm not asking for it both ways. The way I'm asking for it is the player that makes the great play gets the credit.

You want it both ways. The Calvin play is 100% applicable. The pass doesn't get thrown "without the Stafford factor" and yet you don't even try to address that point. Instead, you create a strawman argument.

Can't have it both ways, Iced. If the Evans play is the "Johnny Football Factor" then the Calvin play is the "Stafford Factor". Of course, you can just refuse to address the point as you did here.

Excuse me? Don't put words in my mouth - You're the one that said "It's not the Manziel factor - it's the Evan's factor."

I didn't put words in your mouth. I addressed the words you explicitly said.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

While that's true on the cleaner and quicker out of his breaks, Watkins isn't an impressive route runner himself either. Evans is more raw and a bit more limited but Watkins has his own limitations and does not run crisp routes at this point in his career.

And no way I give credit to Watkins for attacking the ball better. That's Evans's bread and butter.

jjab360

Legend
That is your list and YOU were the one suggesting you know that TONS of NFL teams like Evans better. I never pretend to know that stuff, yet for some reason people think I do. I will be the first to tell you and anyone else that I have no idea what Fisher thinks of players, or of what teams think of players. To believe that is Absurd. Stop projecting. Again YOU said it not me.
I said I bet there's more teams out there that have Evans higher than just the 2 teams being reported. That was just a prediction and an opinion, an off-hand comment that you are taking out of context and overexaggerating. I never said I know anything, please stop putting words in my mouth.

Btw, you're only fooling yourself if you don't believe Evans has better ball skills, body control, and physicality. I'm looking at this situation objectively, I don't really care one way or the other. You, on the other hand, seem to have bought hard into the Sammy Watkins stock and are letting it cloud your judgment, imo.