2 teams have Evans as top WR

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Also add in, how many of those plays are when Johnny is just running around for 10 seconds and he gets open late in the backyard football play?

Another reason you can't just base things off of stats like these.

Not many. And on those sort of plays, Evans was typically bailing Manziel out rather than the opposite.

Isn't more about the offense then the guys ability? Clemson's offense is more of a screen offense. Mike Evans isn't running the top off any defense in the NFL.

Evans ran the top off the Alabama defense...

Evans will be able to get deep in the NFL. Just like Vincent Jackson, Alshon Jeffery, Josh Gordon, AJ Green, etc. do.

Memphis Ram

Legend
A lot of catches with guys draped all over him. Will that fly in the pros?

This is why I doubt his game.

Why wouldn't it? He's a physical 6'5" 231 pounds, with LONG 35 1/8 Arms, a 37" vertical, and great hands. A match-up problem whether he's covered or not.

IMO, this guy is like and has even said he models his game after Brandon Marshall. Only he's faster.

Alan

Legend
Memphis Ram thinking straight:
Why wouldn't it? He's a physical 6'5" 231 pounds, with LONG 35 1/8 Arms, a 37" vertical, and great hands. A match-up problem whether he's covered or not.
I like your thinking here Memphis. His skills would work against even the better CBs like Patrick Peterson.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
At 6'5" he has good size, but there is the Johnny Football factor....Only if he is there late.

Plays like these ain't the Johnny Football factor...they're the Mike Evans factor:
20130928_1845.gif

A lot of catches with guys draped all over him. Will that fly in the pros?

This is why I doubt his game.

Yes. That flies. It flies quite well. It's the opposite that does not fly(being unable to make contested catches).

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well for the record, I still don't think he can. Like I said I think a lot of his "deep ball" stats come from busted plays.

Myth.

7 big plays(not counting the push-off)
On 2 of the 7 plays, Manziel scrambled out of the pocket

And on one of the two, all Manziel did was throw the ball up for grabs and Evans posted up Clinton-Dix, went up and snatched the football out of the air.

Name
JP
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Myth.

7 big plays(not counting the push-off)
On 2 of the 7 plays, Manziel scrambled out of the pocket

And on one of the two, all Manziel did was throw the ball up for grabs and Evans posted up Clinton-Dix, went up and snatched the football out of the air.

I'm not doubting his highlight reel, Sammy has a nice one to. We just have different opinions.

Sam to Sammy for 6 just has a nice ring to it, doesn't it?? :whistle:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm not doubting his highlight reel, Sammy has a nice one to. We just have different opinions.

Sam to Sammy for 6 just has a nice ring to it, doesn't it?? :whistle:

That's not a highlight reel. That's his targets from the Alabama game. It's not a differing opinion that I'm disagreeing with. You don't have to like Evans. CGI doesn't, I don't judge him for that(even if I do disagree with him). I'm disagreeing with the accuracy of the statement you made, RFIP II.

The claim that a lot of Evans's deep ball stats came from busted plays is a myth.

Name
JP
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
That's not a highlight reel. That's his targets from the Alabama game. It's not a differing opinion that I'm disagreeing with. You don't have to like Evans. CGI doesn't, I don't judge him for that(even if I do disagree with him). I'm disagreeing with the accuracy of the statement you made, RFIP II.

The claim that a lot of Evans's deep ball stats came from busted plays is a myth.

Okay, well showing me a couple plays from one game isn't going to change my opinion though.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo

Maybe we could put a percentage on the term "a lot."
;)

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
The big thing I notice that makes him IMO a better fit for our team and likely many others is that he is strong, understands how to help the QB when he is in trouble, and really knows how to use his body against the defenders. How many small quick guys do we really think are going to help us out? Yeah - I get it... Watkins plays bigger than his size. Sorry. Watkins doesn't play anywhere near as big as Evans. Sure Watkins can take it to the house on maybe more plays than Evans but how many players do we already have that can do that? This is a guy who will bitch slap Sherman. And I don't know how anyone could say that about Watkins.

To me, Watkins takes plays away from the likes of Austin, Sted, and Givens. Evans commands a double team - and yes... against NFL caliber defenses.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I think the standard stat is 82%. The same number associated with those made up on the spot.
Well lets see here, i think its safe to say that i've boinked a lot of women in my years...but certainly not 82% of the population.
:hijack: Somebody take it back. Quick! Jrry we're gonna need some M.Evans stats....STAT!

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Okay, well showing me a couple plays from one game isn't going to change my opinion though.
Gotta say man. That was more than a couple plays and he was doubled and tripled in some of them. BTW - weren't "a lot" of those plays against the safety many on here want us to draft?

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
Truth be told, I profoundly oppose Evans at #13 because I believe we HAVE to take the best DB at that position. I prefer a safety, but will be more than happy with Dennard/Gilbert.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Well lets see here, i think its safe to say that i've boinked a lot of women in my years...but certainly not 82% of the population.
:hijack: Somebody take it back. Quick! Jrry we're gonna need some M.Evans stats....STAT!
Ah - but was it 82% of those you tried to boink? Or 82% of the chicks for whom you bought tequila shots? Or 82% of the chicks you roofied? Oop! Was that a secret?

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Ah - but was it 82% of those you tried to boink? Or 82% of the chicks for whom you bought tequila shots? Or 82% of the chicks you roofied? Oop! Was that a secret?
I'd take that percentage all day and any day. I wish...

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I don't see many scenario's where Evans gets anywhere close to our #13 slot.
Buffalo...NY Giants...hell even Detroit might like him "a lot."

iced

Plays like these ain't the Johnny Football factor...they're the Mike Evans factor:
20130928_1845.gif

Yes. That flies. It flies quite well. It's the opposite that does not fly(being unable to make contested catches).

how is that not a manziel factor? There's no touchdown if Manziel doesn't dodge the sack and give Evans more time to get open....