2 teams have Evans as top WR

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

iced

I'm not asking for it both ways. The way I'm asking for it is the player that makes the great play gets the credit.

You want it both ways. The Calvin play is 100% applicable. The pass doesn't get thrown "without the Stafford factor" and yet you don't even try to address that point. Instead, you create a strawman argument.

Can't have it both ways, Iced. If the Evans play is the "Johnny Football Factor" then the Calvin play is the "Stafford Factor". Of course, you can just refuse to address the point as you did here.

I didn't put words in your mouth. I addressed the words you explicitly said.

Lmao strawman? Haha no. I didn't address the calvin play cause I didn't even read it. I couldn't get past you trying to insinuate that the great play was made by Evans and manziel had no effect on that play. Take off the blinders dude and get credit where it's due - but of course you don't want to admit that a lot of evan's big plays come from Manziel scrambling around back there, giving him more time. You may not want to admit it but he is tagged as having trouble separating for a reason.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Lmao strawman? Haha no. I didn't address the calvin play cause I didn't even read it. I couldn't get past you trying to insinuate that the great play was made by Evans and manziel had no effect on that play. Take off the blinders dude and get credit where it's due - but of course you don't want to admit that a lot of evan's big plays come from Manziel scrambling around back there, giving him more time.

Okay. Rather than making vague statements, why don't you be specific? What percentage of his big plays? In which games, did you see many of these plays happen? How often did they happen?

Until you can give me something specific in nature, I'm going to assume you have no idea what you're talking about.

And no, you probably didn't address the Calvin play(it's kind of hard to miss the big gifs) because you knew you'd have to concede. There really wasn't an argument one could make.

You may not want to admit it but he is tagged as having trouble separating for a reason.

Yea, I guess there is. People told me that about Alshon Jeffery too. And I fought vehemently against it. But boy was I wrong there. I'm sure I'm wrong here too.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I said I bet there's more teams out there that have Evans higher than just the 2 teams being reported. That was just a prediction and an opinion, an off-hand comment that you are taking out of context and overexaggerating. I never said I know anything, please stop putting words in my mouth.

Btw, you're only fooling yourself if you don't believe Evans has better ball skills, body control, and physicality. I'm looking at this situation objectively, I don't really care one way or the other. You, on the other hand, seem to have bought hard into the Sammy Watkins stock and are letting it cloud your judgment, imo.

Wrong. I have been pulling for Matthews since The SB. If not him then Robinson. Ask anyone. I do like Watkins over Evans though. I prefer the better route runners, always have. Being predictable with limited routes works in Colege but not so well in the NFL

Memphis Ram

Legend
Compared to? Well my brother has been compared to Patrick Swayze but they aren't twins. Far from it. I would take a better version of Torrey Smith being a Ram in a heartbeat. And Watkins was clearly better and doesn't body catch like Smith did in college.

Evans compares himself to Brandon Marshall? Then he is probably comparable to Mike Williams as well. I could say I compare my style of play to Kurt Warner but it doesn't mean I am his equal.

BTW keep reading Bucky Brooks if you want. I'll pass.

I'm not a big Bucky Brooks fan either, but as he says that Watkins compared his game to Torrey Smith. I took that to mean he (Watkins) likened his game to Smith. All Brooks did was agree with him (Watkins).

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
BTW it would stand to reason if Evans had great body control then he also can run great routes seeing as he should be able to stop and go and turn on a dime very fluidly.

Memphis Ram

Legend
BTW it would stand to reason if Evans had great body control then he also can run great routes seeing as he should be able to stop and go and turn on a dime very fluidly.

How so? Tavon Austin has great body control and he doesn't run great routes yet. Very few WRs entering the league do.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Tavon hasn't learned them, he didnt have to but he has all of the tools to do it. So now I guess you are comparing Evans body control to Austin's. Call me when you find some footage of Evans turning on a dime and smoothly rolling in and out of his breaks with the elusive suddenness that Issac Bruce did. Or when he twists his body completely around hauling in a ball behind him while running a crossing route immediately after a hard cut. Doubt it exists, in fact you may have trouble just finding a simple crossing route by Evans.

iced

And no, you probably didn't address the Calvin play(it's kind of hard to miss the big gifs) because you knew you'd have to concede. There really wasn't an argument one could make.

Lol right. After your strawman comment and the unwillingness to admit that Manziel was a factor in that play was enough for me. wasn't worth to read anything more

Memphis Ram

Legend
Tavon hasn't learned them, he didnt have to but he has all of the tools to do it. So now I guess you are comparing Evans body control to Austin's. Call me when you find some footage of Evans turning on a dime and smoothly rolling in and out of his breaks with the elusive suddenness that Issac Bruce did. Or when he twists his body completely around hauling in a ball behind him while running a crossing route immediately after a hard cut. Doubt it exists, in fact you may have trouble just finding a simple crossing route by Evans.

No. I thought I made my point pretty clearly. And I wasn't comparing Evan's body control to Austin's.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Lol right. After your strawman comment and the unwillingness to admit that Manziel was a factor in that play was enough for me. wasn't worth to read anything more

It amazes me that you are still asking for Johnny Football to get ANY credit on the play in question. Manziel was indeed a factor in that play. He "Manziel'd" that ball into quadruple coverage, lolz. Then Mike "Evans'd" it away from the defenders to save Johny's ass. How can that play be argued any other way?? That play shows just how valuable Evans IS to a QB. If I am Johnny Fooseball, I hope that clip disappears forever.

I swear it seems as though Sammy Fever has clouded some peoples judgement this year. I can't wait for this draft to be over!! Whoever we end up with!!

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
Okay. Rather than making vague statements, why don't you be specific? What percentage of his big plays? In which games, did you see many of these plays happen? How often did they happen?

Until you can give me something specific in nature, I'm going to assume you have no idea what you're talking about.

Yea, I guess there is. People told me that about Alshon Jeffery too. And I fought vehemently against it. But boy was I wrong there. I'm sure I'm wrong here too.

iced

It amazes me that you are still asking for Johnny Football to get ANY credit on the play in question. Manziel was indeed a factor in that play. He "Manziel'd" that ball into quadruple coverage, lolz. Then Mike "Evans'd" it away from the defenders to save Johny's ass. How can that play be argued any other way?? That play shows just how valuable Evans IS to a QB. If I am Johnny Fooseball, I hope that clip disappears forever.

I swear it seems as though Sammy Fever has clouded some peoples judgement this year. I can't wait for this draft to be over!! Whoever we end up with!!

What the hell? The manziel factor is "extending the ball" and scrambling around, Which is exactly what he did... If that's any other qb not named russell wilson or of that variety, another words a pocket passer, he's sacked....

I'm just sayin' - give credit where it's due. I'm not even a Manziel fan - sheesh.

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
Love looking into a thread when i goes from 2-3 pages to 7... you know there is a epic debate of know it all's in it that are amusing to read....
" I used to thread together Watkins jock strap at Clemson so I know he knows how to be a more productive player...." Blah Blah Blah....

Last edited:

Alan

Legend
iced following bad examples:
So I haven't really been following the argument between you two but I can tell you that the statement I'm quoting is exactly the same thing zn would say to me when he had no answers for something I said. Take that for what it's worth.

iced

So I haven't really been following the argument between you two but I can tell you that the statement I'm quoting is exactly the same thing some guy would say to me when he had no answers for something I said. Take that for what it's worth.

That's cool - if I see somethin that I think is ridiculous or BS, I'm not gonna continue reading it - especially when I only occasionally pop on a quick break from doiin' somethin else. You start off ridiculous and you lose me.

Alan

Legend
iced with this:
That's cool - if I see somethin that I think is ridiculous or BS, I'm not gonna continue reading it - especially when I only occasionally pop on a quick break from doiin' somethin else. You start off ridiculous and you lose me.
So if you see something that's BS stop reading. That sounds like good thinking. Even better would be to stop commenting about that subject at all right? But you didn't do that. You commented about a portion of a statement that could have been taken completely out of context and you wouldn't know that because you didn't read the whole thing. You can't have your cake and eat it too iced. Not if you want to maintain good relationships with the other poster right?

Something to think about anyway.

nighttrain

Legend
I'll bet we don't draft either Watkins or Evans, we already have them
Givens and Quick
train

Alan

Legend
Plus now we're apparently getting Britt. Things have been heating up a little bit lately. I like it. Especailly as they don't seem to be big commitments.

iced

So if you see something that's BS stop reading. That sounds like good thinking. Even better would be to stop commenting about that subject at all right? But you didn't do that. You commented about a portion of a statement that could have been taken completely out of context and you wouldn't know that because you didn't read the whole thing. You can't have your cake and eat it too iced. Not if you want to maintain good relationships with the other poster right?

Something to think about anyway.

i had already said my peace on calvin earlier
Btw why the comparisons to calvin? outside of measurables, they're not even remotely close to being the same type of player or prospect coming out. Calvin Was Clear cut the best receiver in his draft class. Not to mention Calvin was Faster and could separate better than evans, and that's not including his amazing hands and way he attacks the ball (not saying evans doesn't, but don't compare him to calvin who's in a class of his own)

Notice how this goes unquoted right? :rolleyes: I think comparing Evans to Calvin is ridiculous - Calvin is in a league of his own and was a MUCH better prospect coming out. They only thing they have in comparison height and weight, thats it. Any other comparison to him is ridiculous and I think it's bogus.

And yea, if I see somethin' that i heavily disagree with i'll stop reading. It's hard to take out of context
You assume that this isn't a double-edged sword.

Plays like these ain't the Johnny Football factor...they're the Mike Evans factor:

Callin that play all Evans and none of it Johnny is ridiculous, nothin to take out of context there.

Last edited: