2 teams have Evans as top WR

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Name
JP
www.rotoworld.com

At least two teams have Texas A&M's Mike Evans as their top WR, according to CBS Sports' Dane Brugler.
Some have questioned if this was possible, citing the league's size bias for top receiver prospects, but it still is a bit of a surprise. Sammy Watkins, despite his 6-foot-1 frame, fights for the ball at the catch point better than most and offers explosiveness after the catch. Evans has a few veteran traits, specifically his willingness to work back towards his quarterback and win in contested situations. Both prospects could be top-10 selections.
Source: Dane Brugler on Twitter Mar 24 - 9:20 AM

Alan

Legend
I'm still trying to sell that bridge if any one is interested?

Alan

Legend
I've heard from reliable sources that 5 teams consider Watkins a 4th round talent and they say they have absolutely no desire to draft him. :eek: They're all drafting in the top ten but I'm pretty sure that has nothing to do with their position.

Name
JP
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I've heard from reliable sources that 5 teams consider Watkins a 4th round talent and they say they have absolutely no desire to draft him. :eek: They're all drafting in the top ten but I'm pretty sure that has nothing to do with their position.

Hmm okay, if you say so... Rams might as well trade out of the first round completely now! (y):rolleyes:

Alan

Legend
rfip the second seeing the light:
Hmm okay, if you say so... Rams might as well trade out of the first round completely now! (y):rolleyes:
That's my draft strategy.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Something tells me that these 2 teams will be replacing their GM and scouting department in the very near future.

jjab360

Legend
Something tells me that these 2 teams will be replacing their GM and scouting department in the very near future.
Why? For having a mind and opinion of their own and not falling for the media hype? There are a ton of things that Evans does better than Watkins, so I could easily see a team that's looking for that type of skillset having him higher on their draft boards.

Btw, it's at least 2 teams, I bet there's a ton more out there that think the same thing.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Yeah - Well 3 GMs have told me personally that Evans is their top WR prospect. They showed me their draft boards and are going to let me know a week in advance when they will be using their fake punt play. I was kind of surprised by their snap count and what blitz packages they will use against the teams they play and in particular when they will be using them. All I had to do was promise not to tell anyone and they were like an open book.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Why? For having a mind and opinion of their own and not falling for the media hype? There are a ton of things that Evans does better than Watkins, so I could easily see a team that's looking for that type of skillset having him higher on their draft boards.

Btw, it's at least 2 teams, I bet there's a ton more out there that think the same thing.

Why?

Because I don't believe Evans is near the prospect that Watkins is.

That and the fact that apparently decision makers for these 2 teams are sharing their boards with outside individuals PRIOR to the draft.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Why?

That and the fact that apparently decision makers for these 2 teams are sharing their boards with outside individuals PRIOR to the draft.
^This

Memphis Ram

Legend
Doesn't surprise me in the slightest.

Yep. Wouldn't surprise me one bit if more teams had Evans rated higher than Watkins.

Then again, we understand that there are 32 different teams with at least 32 different opinions on these players and that none use the draftnik media driven stuff that fans read and rely upon.

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick

Why?

I'm pretty sure He's referring to the Raiders and Browns... Which to be honest have HORRIBLE anything other than owners I'd think being in the FO. at least the Owner of the raiders rejected the deal for Saffold! lol

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
Why?

Agree 100% broseph.

jjab360

Legend
I'm pretty sure He's referring to the Raiders and Browns... Which to be honest have HORRIBLE anything other than owners I'd think being in the FO. at least the Owner of the raiders rejected the deal for Saffold! lol
How did you come to that conclusion?

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
How did you come to that conclusion?

By thinking two teams that should and would need to evaluate the top talent of the draft to consider Mr. Watkins a 4th round talent would be the same teams that havn't sent any top brass to take a look at some of the top QB"S and need a QB which by chance happens to be The RAAAAAAAiders and the Brownskies. two front offices that couldn't get a order at McDonalds right..

Name
JP
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Can I just ask, what those things are that he does better? And if this report is true and not just smoke, that will be confirmed on draft day. Most likely when Sammy goes top 5 and Evans slips just a bit.

Not that I don't think Evans won't be good, just that Watkins is the sure thing, which is why he has the hype, and why he will undoubtedly be the first WR taken in May.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think far too many people assume there's some universal board to the draft. Each team values different types of players differently and has their own basis for judging them based on how they fit into that team's scheme.

It doesn't make a team stupid to have Mike Evans above Sammy Watkins. Maybe they're a team in need of a big WR like Pittsburgh or maybe they run an Air Coryell that values big, physical, deep threats like Minnesota(and Norv Turner)?

There's rarely ever going to be an unanimous #1 player at a position in the draft. Too many different schemes, evaluators and coaches for that to happen.